Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 angelaisthecoolest
Msg: 230
view profile
History
At what point do you give up on Romance?Page 8 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I gave up on the idea of experiencing romance a long long LOOOONG time ago, and you know what... a couple of weeks ago I experienced it for the first time in my entire life. Ha. Imagine that.
 marshw
Msg: 231
At what point do you give up on Romance?
Posted: 2/19/2007 7:33:44 AM
When you die would be an appropriate time.
 szzlnhot
Msg: 232
Posted: 2/19/2007 8:58:45 AM
Wow! I've never been unfortunate enough to meet Mr. Moron like you described. I have, however met many men without a romantic bone in their bodies. Of course, I never saw them again.

There are a lot of really romantic, nice, funny, cute and polite guys out there who love to be the man, opening doors, pulling out chairs, and impressing their woman with flowers and gifts. I was married to one for 10 years, and he never changed, the entire time. Always expect it, if that is what you want. They can't open the door for you if you run up there and open it yourself before they can. I have had guys tell me this, that a lot of the women don't appreciate their polite gestures. So next time you go out on a date, just sit in the car until he opens the door. He will get the hint.

Don't forget that it's important for you to be romantic also. Make him some heart shapped cookies or something. I know that sounds corny but I have never had a guy turn them down!
Ellen
 bathurstman
Msg: 233
Posted: 2/19/2007 11:31:35 PM
thalita is wrong not all men are the same .shes just generalizing cause of probably bad experiences.so ill excuse her we all do that when we get pissed about something. plus shes contradicting herself cause in her profile it says shes met the man for her so all men cant be the same obviously.unless shes talking about hers too wich i doubt she is.
anyways im looking for longterm.well at least a week.LOL im just joking of course.lol
 The_Champ_Is_Here
Msg: 234
Posted: 2/20/2007 6:40:14 PM
With the way the dating scene has gone now, too much of a game really, romance takes a backseat more now it seems.
Looks, money, possessions will replace romance but many will think that those will bring romance.
Also for women, they are not so much in search of a romantic guy it seems as much these days. Some feel those guys are wimpy and are wusses. I think most wnat a guy who is more strong and a bit arrogant. Just my thought. Sure there may be some women who still like romance, but not many want it these days.
I think for me, giving up is an option for sure, but for women they will never give up. We get more fed up, women get more frustrated.
 msladyscarlett
Msg: 236
Posted: 2/21/2007 6:18:20 AM
Never give up on romance and never settle for anything less than that if that is what you really want...me personally what i look for in a guy is the kind of stuff that turns me on....the romantic type that gives a girl flowers and takes her on a romantic picnic....stuff like that :)those are the type of things that get me going and if i know thats what makes me happy why would i bother settling for anything less.
 The_Champ_Is_Here
Msg: 237
Posted: 2/21/2007 2:38:25 PM
My guess is women have more patience but get more frustrated than men. As women do the picking and we do the choosing. So it is alot easier per say for the women. Just they many times pick the wrong guy. And when a woman has say 5 potentials, that right there will confuse her as the acts start and she can easily get sidetracked.
I have myself somewhat given up on romance. Being that most women I find are saying they want that but acting like they do not. And most times when a guy does something nice for a woman, she immediately has the thought that there is an ulterior motive behind it.
Now I say if it happens fine, if it does not..oh well.
 JohnnyQ61
Msg: 238
Posted: 11/16/2010 5:31:22 PM
That is so SEXIST to say! You could not be further from the truth. There are many men..me included..who NEVER ASK or want the sexual tie until there is a solid relationship. The problem is that there is so much expectations out there...that a man and women have to look like a greek god or super model, have to have a lot of money, that all these factors build distrust! Its not a gender thing as I have been asked to go and f#$% a woman just by talking on the phone! So dont say its all men lady! You deeply offend us good guys because women like you love the bad boy. As tot he other woman....I would be happy to see if we are compatable, share te same values, have the same worldview.....then let the romance begin....and the sex can wait until marriage. Now watch...I will be called a prude by this crazy stupid sexist girl who thinks she has men all figured out...but the moment a man contradicts her she will call him all kinds of names. To the one you have "coulsoled"...this woman is bitter toward men. There are plenty of men out there who dont show up because you want what was just listed. But they are there and I am offering to talk. What do you say...drop this bitter woman like a hot potato. Listen to the nice men and check their reputation....watch, listen and then meet...always in public! Never go out alone until the trust is there. This radical feminist notion that all men are sexual is prejudiced. Maybe that is why she is so bitter.
 drsparks
Msg: 240
Posted: 2/26/2013 2:29:43 PM
I may be wrong but i'm guessing Talitha is american or in a bordering america-like city. Im in a border city and it's my experience that a large majority of women in the US and bordering cities have never been given flowers let alone any other romantic gestures and i'm completely ashamed of us men for letting this happen. It's also my belief that because we let it happen that women are now quiting. You see, it was my search for the answer to the question "are women giving up on romance?" that led me to this blog/link nd the reason i ask is because in my last 2.5 yr relationship i have once again showered my partner with weekly to monthly flowers, chocolates, romantic hotel weekends away, dining out, handmade teddy bears, handmade hair ribbon things, love letters, poetry, portrait sketches, handmade and store bought jewelry and although i normally would get some romance in return my last partner barely even acknowledged my giving. It didn't bother me much then as i never expected much more than a thanks and a kiss but in hindsight i think i should have noted that there was no romance in her and i likely should have taken that as a warning sign. Also it seems that love is most often one sided. If you are the first to profess love and shower your lover with romance under the assumption that you are loved in return you more often than not will be seen as a clingy, needy inferior and be discarded when they feel a need for something new and freshly exciting. So another thing to watch for besides dwindling or non-existant romance but also a dwindling sex life. Those are sure signs that he/she is nearing the break-up point. Just my thoughts. as i say, i could be wrong. im no Don Juan. Yet
 sigungq
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2013 4:52:42 PM

I never give up on just about anything at all. I'm close to 50, and have never been in a relationship. That doesn't mean I won't keep asking for dates. I just don't get my hopes up. I'm a realist. But I also busy myself with so many things that I don't have the time to sit around and sulk about not getting any dates. If I don't get a date, I go out solo. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit around and veg.
 purfectblonde169
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2013 5:19:13 PM
omg. girl, hes rude . Its about him. he doesnt want a relationship he just wants sex. thats up to you everybodys different. Dump him hes weird, its not going anywhere. sorry
 junkldy
Msg: 243
Posted: 2/26/2013 5:46:34 PM
I am just about there. I am tired of all the scamming. Isnt anyone honest anymore? I am just looking for someone who is honest and a good warm caring person. Someone to share my life with. I'm not opposed to sex at all but I want a relationship to go with it NOT marriage.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 244
Posted: 2/26/2013 6:06:05 PM
I like how you talk about things that cost money not being about money. If I walked out of my house naked and sent everyone into shock I would say look, it's not about me being naked.If you want someone to open doors for you they have butlers for that.If the romance didn't happen today, today is a good time to give up on it.
 DpBlueEyes83
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2013 8:08:07 PM
Problem is that women still want the bad boy. Its an insecurity thing. When a guy is genuine and tries flowers or approaching in the real world most women just bow away. Picking something to put themselves down in regards to accepting. If he walks up to you and gives you his number, what stops you from calling. My suggestion. If your shooting for a ten it will never happen as they come with problems. Find yourself a 7 and work out your faults together and accept each other. Being accepting is a great gesture that motivates and creates the love feeling. Yeah he might not be brad pitt, but he might carry your where ever your want to go without asking. How nice would that be.
 SPArwell
Msg: 246
Posted: 2/28/2013 5:21:17 PM
Guys only get pressed for head/sex when they aren't that into the girl and are desperate. I consider myself to be romantic when I want to be.
 Thomas_Andronicus
Msg: 247
Posted: 2/28/2013 8:31:32 PM

Here is an example of a recent second date...movie at my place...just comfy...the askes if he can kiss me...I"m ok with that lol alittle whimpy for me...but then after kissing he begs for a solid 10 mins for me to give him head...until I make him undestand my answer to that question....not a positive one.
Arg this happens ALOT!

Well, I'm 7 years too late with the answer for the OP but I'll give it anyway.

The above example shows just why the OP does (did) not receive "romance." She uses her "place" to invite men over she barely knows and then sit around doing nothing but staring at a box i.e. the T.V. So what do you expect to happen? The man who declines your invitation and redirects the date to somewhere more appropriate is the more likely to be romantic. But perhaps you would consider this "a little wimpy." I hope you can see that the choices you make effect the results you receive.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 248
Posted: 3/1/2013 5:23:32 AM
I love the definition that she gives of the perfect man:

There was nothing this man would not do for me. I never washed a dish for 3 yrs. Surprises, dinners, romance, name it!!

It is always about what a man can do for a woman (and yes, I realized that there are some men who are all about what the woman can do for them - just as bad).
 richmackey1
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 5:33:30 AM

It is always about what a man can do for a woman (and yes, I realized that there are some men who are all about what the woman can do for them - just as bad).

This has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. Why does it always have to be....... "what can you do for me?". What happened to....." what can WE do for each other"?

Well said Joe.
 Albvs
Msg: 250
Posted: 3/1/2013 2:45:11 PM

I have never had a guy open doors for me. I have never ever had even a single romantic gesture from any man in my life...

You don't have a photo that's associated with your profile so I couldn't really comment on that.

But I will say that the friendlier girls and women, especially those who smile at guys, always get the door held for them. They're probably good at making and keeping eye contact. A guy will then think "hey, let's invest a little effort in this to see if it leads anywhere".

Girls who make no eye contact seem to be saying "don't talk to me" or even "don't come near me".

Guys have learned that overweight women seem to have much more confidence and will even start conversations with you, the guy. And if the guy isn't attracted to someone like that then he's going to avoid situations that might start up conversations, such as offering to open a door for her.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 251
Posted: 3/1/2013 2:59:12 PM
Dude, I hold doors open for men and women. It is just courteous.

As for the OP, maybe she is from someplace like New York where nobody does anything for anybody (although I can't even be certain of that since I have never been there).
 TantricJedi
Msg: 252
Posted: 3/1/2013 3:28:56 PM
I've always courted women and treated them as a gentleman. Sure, I wanted sex, but I always showed respect. I'll tell you this though... I'm starting to think I'd rather be rejected for being an ass instead of being that boring nice guy. Maybe I'll get rejected on my terms... Like asking you to my place for a hookup or back to your place. Because you know what? For every woman that wants chivalry there's a boring nice guy out there buying fine meals and boring women with awkward conversations about her favorite music or asking how her day went....
 RussArtLover
Msg: 253
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 4:44:53 PM
Romance is by definition transient. That's the good part. You can figure it out again and again IF you're motivated AND paying attention. Look! A chicken! ...got a promotion at work? got a speeding ticket? got cancer? LOTS of hurdles to keep romance going. You do or you don't, can't. Just don't run off and join the Nazi party.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 254
Posted: 3/2/2013 1:24:29 PM

When you realize that you have nothing to offer because you are unwilling to be a partner.
 tyger205
Msg: 255
Posted: 3/2/2013 2:10:41 PM
Well, I've tried being romantic and taking the first steps to approach a woman but the lady always finds something about me not to me interesting or she's just being a real **** and wanna shoot a man down as if I shouldn't even speak to her. So, really women has caused these "games" to be played be they want let a man come to them sincere and humble. Romance is dead but if the other person isn't recognizing and appreciating you for your efforts then to me that's a good sign not to stick around.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >