Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 quarked
Msg: 251
view profile
History
We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)Page 11 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
Well, for adults age 20+ in the U.S.

Women
50th percentile--63.8 in
10th-90th percentile--60.3-67.2 in

Men
50th percentile--69.4 in
10th-90th percentile--65.6-73.2 in

Source:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr010.pdf

I give the 10-90 percentiles because listing an average height is useless without knowing the distributions.

For men, 71.5-72.6 in is the 75th-85th percentile.

So that implies somewhat between 25 and 15 percent of dudes are taller than 6 ft. Given the nature of bell-curves, that number is probably on the lower side of 20%.

Hope this helps.
 cooldog65
Msg: 252
view profile
History
We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)
Posted: 1/30/2012 2:15:59 AM
^^^^^ I get the stats. Do you think the poster above you does? Her preferences won't give a damn about stats.
 quarked
Msg: 253
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2012 2:55:42 AM
The heart wants what it wants. People are entitled to prefer whatever they want in a partner. I looked up the numbers to satisfy my own curiosity after reading some of the posts in the thread. Average heights had already been posted, but really, distribution really tells you more. It's too bad that I couldn't find a graphical form of the data. Myself, I'm between 5'7" and 5'11" depending on which convenience store I'm leaving...
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 254
Posted: 1/30/2012 6:06:31 AM
(In my experience, like attracts like more often than not.)

In my experience that is so far from the truth. The number of very short 5' and under, overweight, undereducated, underemployed, uncultured, unattractive women that contact me is insane.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 255
Posted: 1/30/2012 6:32:49 AM
Don't let the lack of results discourage you. You have a lot to be proud of. Not everyone makes it itnto Grad school. If a woman isn't interested for whatever reason, then it's their loss. When their "perfect" guy has a bad day and uses them as a punching bag, then it's not really our problem. We gave them options.

While this statement was obviously intended to make the shorter guys feel better about themselves, it is false---if a woman is not interested in a man for whatever reason, she is not losing anything.

Moreover, the taller men who meet a woman's other criteria---whether that be weight, educational level, income level, profession, etc.---are no more likely to use her as a punching bag than the shorter men.

In fact, it has been my experience that the taller men usually have a higher level of self-esteem, thus, they are less likely to be abusive towards women.
 Paderic
Msg: 256
Posted: 1/30/2012 6:59:09 AM

In fact, it has been my experience that the taller men usually have a higher level of self-esteem, thus, they are less likely to be abusive towards women.

You know, using one stereotype to counter another stereotype is kind of silly. There is no database that I've ever seen that correlates abusive behavior to any physical feature.

Perhaps one of the reasons Ted Bundy never had trouble getting victims to hop in his car is the fact that he was six feet tall...
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 257
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:17:54 AM

You know, using one stereotype to counter another stereotype is kind of silly. There is no database that I've ever seen that correlates abusive behavior to any physical feature.

It might very well be a stereotype---however, that doesn't change the fact that in my personal experience, the men that I've encountered who were shorter than 5'8", tended to have lower self-esteem, and were often more abusive. It is what it is.
 cooldog65
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:24:19 AM
^^^^^ Flaw in that "logic" is too small a sample size to prove anything statistically.

Oops. I missed the "in my personal experience" part. My bad.
 Paderic
Msg: 259
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:28:57 AM
It might very well be a stereotype---however, that doesn't change the fact that in my personal experience, the men that I've encountered who were shorter than 5'8", tended to have lower self-esteem, and were often more abusive. It is what it is.

There are reasons that anecdotal evidence is universally regarded as unreliable. Primarily, it is subjective and it is impossible to verify independently.

VVV Edit: Who said it was OK?
 CheezyChick
Msg: 260
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:32:30 AM

Don't let the lack of results discourage you. You have a lot to be proud of. Not everyone makes it itnto Grad school. If a woman isn't interested for whatever reason, then it's their loss. When their "perfect" guy has a bad day and uses them as a punching bag, then it's not really our problem. We gave them options.

Oh....But this ^^^ is okay? Let's see the stats on this one....ugh.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 261
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:38:28 AM

There are reasons that anecdotal evidence is universally regarded as unreliable. Primarily, it is subjective and it is impossible to verify independently.

You only quoted the second part of my post, where I related my own experience---conveniently leaving off the first paragraph, where I stated as fact:

Moreover, the taller men who meet a woman's other criteria---whether that be weight, educational level, income level, profession, etc.---are no more likely to use her as a punching bag than the shorter men.
 Paderic
Msg: 262
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:57:55 AM
You only quoted the second part of my post, where I related my own experience---conveniently leaving off the first paragraph, where I stated as fact:

If you had stopped there, I wouldn't have taken issue. I generally only quote that portion of a post that is pertinent to what I have to say.

There are a lot of factors that may have affected your personal experience. For instance, if you've never been in an abusive relationship, what you stated may be correct. But it really wouldn't prove anything.
 Justcheckingfor1
Msg: 263
Posted: 1/30/2012 8:25:33 AM
What it all comes down to, is being in the right place, at the right time, with the right person and the right attitude and then your success rate will be 100 percent better no matter how tall or how short you are. It just really comes down to not meeting the right people. If you meet the right person, your height will not matter. I am 5 foot 3 inches tall and I know this.
Cheers.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 264
Posted: 1/30/2012 8:49:50 AM
If you had stopped there, I wouldn't have taken issue. I generally only quote that portion of a post that is pertinent to what I have to say.

If you take issue with someone else's opinion or preferences based on their own personal experiences, that's purely your issue.

There are a lot of factors that may have affected your personal experience. For instance, if you've never been in an abusive relationship, what you stated may be correct. But it really wouldn't prove anything.

My own personal experience doesn't have to be "correct", nor does it have to "prove anything". The forums are designed to exchange ideas, opinions, and personal experiences, as well as facts.

Whether or not I've personally been in an abusive relationship isn't necessarily a factor in forming my viewpoint. One can easily observe verbal abuse going on daily in these very forums without being in a relationship with any of the perpetrators.
 Paderic
Msg: 265
Posted: 1/30/2012 10:06:43 AM
If you take issue with someone else's opinion or preferences based on their own personal experiences, that's purely your issue.

Reliance on stereotypes to form your personal opinion affects your credibility, so it's your issue as well.

My own personal experience doesn't have to be "correct", nor does it have to "prove anything". The forums are designed to exchange ideas, opinions, and personal experiences, as well as facts.

In this case, your personal experience was offered up as evidence in support of a hypothesis. Your response actually helps demonstrate why anecdotal evidence is considered worthless.

Whether or not I've personally been in an abusive relationship isn't necessarily a factor in forming my viewpoint. One can easily observe verbal abuse going on daily in these very forums without being in a relationship with any of the perpetrators.

What is the average height of these verbally abusive posters? Did you assume they were telling the truth on their profiles?
 good_catch77
Msg: 266
Posted: 1/30/2012 10:17:48 AM

Since the title of the OT weight is included I"m going to turn the tides on this quote

It might very well be a stereotype---however, that doesn't change the fact that in my personal experience, the women that I've encountered who were over 25o lbs, tended to have lower self-esteem, and were often more abusive. It is what it is.

Could you imagine how many women and men would bash me even if I put in my Personal experience..

I can say this IMO a lot....A LOT more men are stereotyped than women....do the math how many stereotypes can you think of for each gender?
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 267
Posted: 1/30/2012 10:37:03 AM
In this case, your personal experience was offered up as evidence in support of a hypothesis. Your response actually helps demonstrate why anecdotal evidence is considered worthless.

No it wasn't---I added it simply to personalize my viewpoint. Whether or not it's worthless is your opinion. Some women who may have shared similar experiences to mine in their dealings with shorter men might beg to differ with you. Anecdotal evidence is only considered worthless by the people who don't agree with it.

It might very well be a stereotype---however, that doesn't change the fact that in my personal experience, the women that I've encountered who were over 25o lbs, tended to have lower self-esteem, and were often more abusive. It is what it is.

Could you imagine how many women and men would bash me even if I put in my Personal experience..

So what? Don't date them.
 tallgentman
Msg: 268
Posted: 1/30/2012 10:46:04 AM
I'm 6 2 and enjoy it, able to reach up and down and get most everything needed, I am attracted to girls shorter than myself which by the way is most of them. I also enjoy being slim. isn't life great.
 good_catch77
Msg: 269
Posted: 1/30/2012 10:54:26 AM

So what? Don't date them.

So if I said that I would never date a overweight woman based on a few bad experiences and constantly stereotyping the whole lot based on the stereotypes I wouldn't be bashed? Because women that stereotype short men "understand"? UM hm...sure.
 Paderic
Msg: 270
Posted: 1/30/2012 11:07:41 AM
No it wasn't---I added it simply to personalize my viewpoint. Whether or not it's worthless is your opinion. Some women who may have shared similar experiences to mine in their dealings with shorter men might beg to differ with you. Anecdotal evidence is only considered worthless by the people who don't agree with it.

Actually, I neither agreed nor disagreed with what you proposed. I only pointed out the problem with using a stereotype in support of it.

Anyone who has had to objectively prove a hypothesis knows how unreliable anecdotal evidence can be, whether they agree with the hypothesis or not.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 271
Posted: 1/30/2012 11:13:37 AM

So if I said that I would never date a overweight woman based on a few bad experiences and constantly stereotyping the whole lot based on the stereotypes I wouldn't be bashed? Because women that stereotype short men "understand"? UM hm...sure

Some people will always bash you for your preferences---but that's just part and parcel to posting in the forums. Many tend to stereotype separated people as well, yet very few get bashed for it.

Anyone who has had to objectively prove a hypothesis knows how unreliable anecdotal evidence can be, whether they agree with the hypothesis or not.

Only I didn't have to prove a hypothesis.
 Paderic
Msg: 272
Posted: 1/30/2012 11:38:28 AM
Only I didn't have to prove a hypothesis.

LOL, I didn't say you did. I said that people who have had to prove one know how unreliable anecdotal evidence can be. That's not conditional on anything you have or have not done.

You know, this has gotten a bit ridiculous. My intent was not to start a flame war, it was merely to point out that the stereotype did nothing to support what you were trying to say.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 273
Posted: 1/30/2012 11:44:42 AM

LOL, I didn't say you did. I said that people who have had to prove one know how unreliable anecdotal evidence can be. That's not conditional on anything you have or have not done.

You know, this has gotten a bit ridiculous. My intent was not to start a flame war, it was merely to point out that the stereotype did nothing to support what you were trying to say.

Yet you didn't have to prove a hypothesis, either. You just didn't like my opinion, because you have a dog in this fight. But I do agree with you that it's gotten ridiculous.
 Paderic
Msg: 274
Posted: 1/30/2012 11:56:27 AM
I didn't dislike your opinion, I objected to the use of a stereotype. What dog do I have in this fight? I'm very close to median height, I'm neither tall nor short.

I've had to prove many hypotheses, it's what I do for a living. I have learned to rely on hard data more than anything else.
 ThisMuchIsTrue
Msg: 275
Posted: 1/30/2012 12:09:56 PM
As a short guy ( 5'4") I can only say this ;
Everyone is entitled to thier preferences.
More times than not it is the ATTITUDE of a short guy that is rejected. ie complaininig that it's "unfair" that tall guys get all the attention.
I've been outright rejected based on my height ... er lack of it and it has never been that big of a deal.
What's the name of this site again?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)