Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 435
We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)Page 24 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
In general I agree height is more important with online dating. People will often look at your stats and dismiss if you are under ( or over ) a certain height.

I agree. Stats are huge online vs in-person. Online, it's a baseball card... a potential draft pick to have them try out for the team.

I don't think it's so much "protectionism" than Femininity. Femininity really, I think, is feeling like they're not Short-Changed on their catch or are settling "for less". Culture is a force behind that. The more social/out-going/out-in-the-scene women will more want a Tall guy, as you'll see more home-bodied/likes-to-stay-in women accept guys a bit shorter than she is.

In the end, it's not so much a guy being notably taller than SHE per se, it's a guy being at least AS tall or a bit taller than Other Guys in general. Look at match.com. It has their height preferences. Comparatively among women, it's not like they all want a guy x-inches taller than they are as their minimal height. It's not a diagonal line if you graph it. Instead, the inch-difference on minimum height for a guy is notably Greater Than the inch-difference on the short gal vs the tall gal's profile (generally speaking, of course).

With tall women, the degree is small; with short women the degree has a much Bigger Differential. In the end, it's more a feeling of completeness (of a catch; not lacking anything in the feeling of it all) if he's not a guy who's one of the shorter ones in the room. It's not so much compared to her, but to other guys he'll be standing next to in society (although yes, "be at least Roughly my height in small heels" as a necessary requirement for most).

One reason why it's not so much "protectionism", is because you could get broad-shouldered, more muscular guys who would Consistently Fare Just As Well as guys lacking that but taller. Although that helps (without overdoing it of course), it's not the same. The "protectionism" reason, I believe is over-emphasized to make one feel/seen as Less Superficial, because they know that Body Size can be used against them (or their friends) too.

I think short guys are "adorbs" but most of the ones I've known have the Napoleonic Complex. One in particular was real cray cray.

But also let's be fair here. There's plenty of cray-cray guys out there. I think when one's shorter, one is quick to assume it's a Napoleon Complex going on. I've met some guys who have that going on, but far more who don't have that going on (but some of them can be just general d!cks like any other guy - lol).
 petula1908
Msg: 436
We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)
Posted: 12/22/2014 5:48:43 PM
As Napoleon was known for his small penis, is that what the Napoleon Complex is? He was shortish for his time but not really tiny at about 5'6". I know two guys who are under 5'6" and considered short in our culture, who are as gentle and non aggressive as lambs. I know a guy who is 6'5" and could be quite aggressive, so stereotypes are just that.

I have to admit I fell in love with a guy who was about 5'6" but didn't want him to be the father of any short sons. Call me superficial but his height worried me. I am 5'4" but in heels taller than he. That made me feel de-feminised in some way.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 437
Posted: 12/23/2014 6:41:44 AM
I had a friend who used to confide to me about her love life- she met & dated a guy 6ft 4, I won't go into detail, but she said as a lover, he was a DUD, & emotionally as well.

She dated a guy she said was maybe 5ft3-4. I met him a couple of times. He was a doll- his personality, he was smart, funny, kind, etc. The whole package. She said he rocked it in the bedroom too & was affectionate as well.

I like the man who is the whole package of smart/interesting, kind, loves me, wants to be w/ me, regardless of whether he is 5ft 3, 5ft 10, 6ft 4. He has 2 arms to hold me, 2 eyes to look at me w/ love, 2 lips to kiss me, that makes him the correct height for me.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 438
Posted: 12/23/2014 3:29:02 PM

Oh & pen is size has NOTHING to do w/ height.

I once stupidly dated Tom Thumb, literally. He was short all over. Blech. :/

I am 5'4" but in heels taller than he. That made me feel de-feminised in some way.

I know what you mean. I don’t want to be bigger than or the same size as my man.
I like bigger, physically powerful men, taller with muscular builds, like football players. I like receivers, linebackers, probably others I can’t think of right now.

As Napoleon was known for his small penis

Ha ha….no wonder he’s got a complex named after him. :)
 petula1908
Msg: 439
Posted: 12/23/2014 4:07:53 PM
Napoleon's appendage or lack thereof was often mentioned and you can see in pictures the lack of real bulge. They pickled it to preserve it as well, for some reason. lol!! So he was known as the Little General and for more reasons than one.

I once went out with a guy who was about 5'6" attractive, charming and in love with me, so I gave him a chance. Unfortunately he had more of a cocktail sausage than anything else and I had to make up some story about not being over my ex fiancé, to salve his ego, before I departed. oh dear!! I don't care if a guy is only about 5'8 if he is well built and has other things going on. Men can always bulk up to make up for a short stature and develop their other qualities. Look at the shorter rich guys who have towering models or actresses as girlfriends. Look at Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall!! No amount of money or fame could induce me to be with a man shorter than I.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 440
Posted: 12/23/2014 4:19:03 PM
^^^
Petula, I think you'd be quite pleased with Rasputin if you seek the qualities that Napoleon was lacking...
 purplerider1200
Msg: 441
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2014 5:06:09 PM
I never thought there was any great dating advantage in height. If women are so interested in tall men, then why is it that I've never received any positive comments? Oh the otherhand, I've had a few short women ask me who I was looking at when we were dancing together. Sorry, I don't see anything attractive about the top of your head.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 442
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2014 5:29:14 AM
Interesting reading this thread. I stand 5'4" and never really never thought much about it before, never had problems.
Maybe I should be worried? O_O
Not gonna happen, I like me. :p
 Kay9876
Msg: 443
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2014 10:45:09 AM
She dated a guy she said was maybe 5ft3-4. I met him a couple of times. He was a doll- his personality, he was smart, funny, kind, etc. The whole package. She said he rocked it in the bedroom too & was affectionate as well.

He sounds awesome. If you hear of someone like that in southeast Missouri, please send him my way. If a man is truly all that you mentioned, height almost doesn't matter. People need to fit together comfortably for kissing, dancing, etc. Other than that, height is just a minor variable to me.

Oh the otherhand, I've had a few short women ask me who I was looking at when we were dancing together. Sorry, I don't see anything attractive about the top of your head.

^^^The other side of the coin ... At 5'4", I'm too short for some men, but they could love me for my cute butt. Unfortunately, they'd have to stand a distance away to see it. I wonder if they could reach it?
:)
 activemelaney
Msg: 444
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2014 11:00:47 AM
I have no concerns about height. Way down on any list. Actually, I prefer to stand and stare directly into a man's eyes.

A hundred times more important is that he is fit. If a guy was 5'4 tall, a crooked nose but fit, confident and active...so sexy compared to any tall pudgy guys.

When my two gorgeous sisters and I are with our partners, my father calls it Beauty and the Beasts. We could get any guy of our choosing when young but that wore thin by the end of High School. We often talk about how we prefer character in a face rather than handsome features.

Bottom line...for me a man must be fit, clean, respectful, confident, reliable. All things within the power of a good character to achieve. Couldn't care less about height or how much hair on his head.

And he must like to dance! (My guy is the worse dancer on the floor but he tries and I love him for it)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 445
Posted: 12/24/2014 11:30:39 AM

If a man is truly all that you mentioned, height almost doesn't matter.

"Almost"?

Now that's an unequivocal endorsement if I ever saw one.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 446
Posted: 12/24/2014 2:30:23 PM

They pickled it to preserve it as well, for some reason.

They pickled his pecker? :D Where do they keep it, is it on display somewhere?
I wonder if maybe they did testing on it, like Einstein’s brain…

Oh jeez I just did a quick search and supposedly some doctor has it in his home, nice décor for his living room. Ha ha…..

Unfortunately he had more of a****ail sausage than anything else and I had to make up some story about not being over my ex fiancé, to salve his ego, before I departed.

Sounds like the one I saw, about the size of a canned Vienna sausage. I didn’t know a penis could be so dang small! Good for you for quick thinking. :) I would imagine he’s probably used to it, poor guy.

Countryheart1967, you’ve got nice guns. :)
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 447
Posted: 12/24/2014 7:15:32 PM
This thread is 11 years old.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 448
Posted: 12/24/2014 9:33:47 PM
I never thought there was any great dating advantage in height.

Being notably tall isn't it by itself. Height is a requirement-level thing + an increase. Being 6'3" and an otherwise 5/10 isn't going to be better than a 5'11" 7/10 in most gals' eyes -- unless the gal is pretty tall at say, 5'9" -- then maybe it's a closer match on raw looks.

The argument is more about caring about the guy being shorter than many of the guys in the room (while not notably taller than she is in heels). In the online scene -- it will have a more stringent effect without many women even thinking about it.

The other side of the coin ... At 5'4", I'm too short for some men, but they could love me for my cute butt.

5'4" is roughly average white female height (5'4.5"). It's average height, possibly SLIGHTLY above average height for older women (we shrink a bit when we get older). I don't think that's any "issue" that pops up on the radar, unless you're only eying Really Tall guys. But you're still not going to be SOL in that demographic of men either, based on your height. :)
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 449
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2014 11:08:11 PM
Ah, Kay,

Ya know, I could advertise my face built for radio or my voice suitable for a mime, but where would the benefit be if I actually proved it?
So, don't ya just hate it when someone advertises their "cute butt," and yet offers no proof?

Kay?

TK
[It doesn't help when one is an advocate of the women's movement, especially from behind!]
 Blackwood85
Msg: 450
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2014 6:14:16 AM

Napoleon's appendage or lack thereof was often mentioned and you can see in pictures the lack of real bulge. They pickled it to preserve it as well, for some reason. lol!! So he was known as the Little General and for more reasons than one.

Napoleon was 5'7" according to US measurements so he was above average height back then and he would be average now, he only appeared short because his imperial guard was filled with men who were 6'0"+ his nickname of being "Little Emperor" was because he catered to the "little guy" and hung out with his foot soldiers which was unbecoming of a Emperor back then, the rest of Europe hated him so they took it and ran with it.

My only issue with height is that I don't think people really have an idea of how tall someone is the difference between 5'7"-5'11" is relatively small the same with 5'9"-6'0" I'm 5'9" but I appear taller than I am, my feet are big (I wear size 13s) and my hands are big, my legs are long. It gives the appearance that I'm taller than what I am, two of my friends are 5'11" and 6' but they don't tower over it's only an 2-3 inch difference and when we're in our uniforms and we're all wearing boots that more than likely gives us another 2 inches in height it's not noticeable.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 451
Posted: 12/26/2014 6:55:38 AM
^^ on your profile, you've indicated that you're 5'10? It doesn't matter if your boots, uniform and other effects make you appear taller, if you're 5'9", you're 5'9"...and to me, that's reasonably taller than average, in my opinion.
 south_city
Msg: 452
Posted: 12/26/2014 6:54:04 PM
I never thought there was any great dating advantage in height

Height alone doesn't guarantee more dates because there can be other reason(s) why a woman is not interested in a man. However some women ( in particular on dating sites ) may quickly dismiss a man without reading the rest of his profile because he isn't at least a certain height.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 453
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2014 11:22:04 PM

^^ on your profile, you've indicated that you're 5'10? It doesn't matter if your boots, uniform and other effects make you appear taller, if you're 5'9", you're 5'9"...and to me, that's reasonably taller than average, in my opinion.

I've been measured at both, officially for weigh in purposes my height is 5'9" 1/2. So I rounded up to 5'10"
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 454
Posted: 12/27/2014 9:48:00 AM

if you're 5'9", you're 5'9"...and to me, that's reasonably taller than average, in my opinion.

From what I read, 5'9" is about average height for black males in the US, and 5'10.5" is average height for white males in the US. Height varies from place to place. In big cities, the average height is going to be shorter (more diversity) than say, many places out in the country.

If 5'9" is taller than average to you -- and you have a reasonably accurate perception -- then you probably live in a below average height area.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 455
Posted: 12/27/2014 10:54:58 AM
Taller, shorter -wouldn't matter at all to me. If I am attracted to someone I wouldn't really notice -it's not something that would attract or repel me in itself.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 456
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2014 5:43:26 PM

From what I read, 5'9" is about average height for black males in the US, and 5'10.5" is average height for white males in the US. Height varies from place to place. In big cities, the average height is going to be shorter (more diversity) than say, many places out in the country.

If 5'9" is taller than average to you -- and you have a reasonably accurate perception -- then you probably live in a below average height area.

Which is funny because most black women will claim that I'm short in their eyes but most white women have claimed otherwise.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 457
Posted: 12/28/2014 7:20:18 PM

Which is funny because most black women will claim that I'm short in their eyes but most white women have claimed otherwise.

If you're 5'9.5", flat-footed, that's not short. You're average height. I think that some women think someone on the bottom half of average-range (5'9") Short, while the taller half of average-range (5'11") Average. And again, it depends on the location, where a guy who's 6'1" could tower over people vs being seen as only a bit above average.
 NewGirlJoining
Msg: 458
Posted: 1/21/2016 3:25:50 PM
If someone ones to find an excuse not to get involved, they will fabricate all kinds of things.

That would include height.
 NBATipoff2015
Msg: 459
Posted: 1/21/2016 3:31:56 PM
Its incredibly stupid, OP
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)