Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 home_osorio
Msg: 51
We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)Page 3 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
why date a 5'8'' guy if there are millions of guys who are 5'10'' and above with the same awesome personality as you have? he he he he. see our point?

am lucky to have dated tall guys. my 1st bf is 6'5''. my 2nd 5'11''. 3rd 6'2''. 4th 5'9''. 5th 6'2''. 6th 5'11''. i didn't ask for it. they just presented themselves to me. who am i to refuse? i guess am just one lucky human being!
 Pingshooter
Msg: 52
view profile
History
We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)
Posted: 10/14/2011 10:42:21 AM

am lucky to have dated tall guys. my 1st bf is 6'5''. my 2nd 5'11''. 3rd 6'2''. 4th 5'9''. 5th 6'2''. 6th 5'11''.

girl..move on to another basketball team..and just remember, there are more than basketball players out there..
 home_osorio
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/14/2011 11:09:57 AM
There was once this black dude. He was claiming that he was 5'9'' here on POF. We met. I am 5'5''. And I was taken aback because he said in his profile that he is 5'9'' and yet he looked just 5'5'' to me. I told him that he doesn't look 5'9'' to me and that he looked 5'5'' to me. And he said that he is indeed 5'9''. So i was like then i must be 5'9'' ,too, then. He did not even gave a budge about his lying about his height. Not one bit. He actually totally thinks that he really is 5'9''. No doubt in his mind about it. WTF. His personality was too abrasive and cocky though and too forward. We never met a 2nd time because of his personality and not because of the height. although he called a few times, didn't answer.
 home_osorio
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/14/2011 11:20:59 AM

girl..move on to another basketball team..and just remember, there are more than basketball players out there..

hey, they talked to me first! who am i to refuse? who am i to refuse these beautiful creatures of God... damn... whew... break a sweat...
 abelian
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/14/2011 11:24:42 AM

There was once this black dude. He was claiming that he was 5'9'' here on POF. We met. I am 5'5''. And I was taken aback because he said in his profile that he is 5'9'' and yet he looked just 5'5'' to me. I told him that he doesn't look 5'9'' to me and that he looked 5'5'' to me. And he said that he is indeed 5'9''. So i was like then i must be 5'9'' ,too, then. He did not even gave a budge about his lying about his height.

Carry a tape measure and you can settle the dispute.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/14/2011 1:41:51 PM
Is height more of an issue for women than men?

Definitely. I mean, if you take extremely short or extremely tall relative to gender, each I think will be about equal on it... but negating that, women are into height:
- Most women not just want but demand guys taller than them, and at best, roughly the same height when in their highest heels
- Women wear heels. That obviously says something about height being an issue/concern/desire.
- Guys are into height relative to wanting to fit a woman's desire or need zone, if the guy runs into that (ie ~avg or below)
- Guys have preferences when it comes to height; but if she's hot, she's hot
- Women tend to have restrictions, not just preferences; guys are more like: if she's hot, she's hot
- Many women who are below-avg height (5'0"-5'3") will want guys closer to the same height much taller women (5'9", 5'10") want, compared to their height to the women (common: 5'2" woman wanting guy 5'8+; 5'9" woman wanting guy 5'11"+).
- Many women don't want a guy taller than them per se (that's a given), they don't want a guy who's noticeably shorter than the common-height guy in the room

women who have strict minimum height requirements on-line of 5'10" or above. These women won't respond to or contact anyone shorter than that. Yet, at the same time, they have dated men as short as 5'6" that they met IRL. So why the discrepancy? When I ask them, they usually say it's because on-line, they have to screen out guys somehow, and when it comes down to it, they would prefer to be with someone taller, but are willing to settle for someone shorter IRL who has something decent to offer.

Yeah, I think when you're under 5'10", or more notably under 5'9", online dating is a tougher road to garner the interest in attractive women, since there are so many guys filling their inboxes -- as opposed to being at a singles bar. Online dating sites puts people in check-list mode.... and to many women obviously, height is an important checklist item to fall into their range of what they strongly prefer -- and strong preferences tend to become needs when in checklist mode, vs seeing the person IRL in front of you.
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/14/2011 2:27:38 PM
Just for the record, two of the biggest man-wh0res I know are 5'7" and 5'8". The 5'8" guy is even kind of chubby and he picks up women online non-stop. Well, he has no standards with their looks, but still...
Just proving my point that guys are way more obsessed with height than girls. The reason you may see this less, though, is because most women are really short and will always be shorter than most guys, so you rarely hear women complaining about this. It's us tall girls who always get the short end of the stick (so to speak).
 _allen_
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2011 4:01:34 PM
I personally believe height restrictions are totally superficial but maybe I'm bias, being on 5'6" (5'7" on a good day and 5'8" on an even better day) Ha!

Anyway, I've notice height restrictions tend to be a female focused subject matter. A woman's height doesn't matter to me at all. She could be 6'5", it would not make a difference to me. I guess I'm just looking for good, quality companionship.
 AustinWriter87
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2011 4:32:28 PM
I'm 5'9 on a bad day, sometimes 5'10 if I decide that posture is important for the day, so I'm already taller than a lot of guys. I like guys my height or taller, but I've dated shorter guys on more than one occasion. I just like being able to look up at the guy and not to be the one to have to lean down. But, again, I'm so tall that... I kind of just pick who I think is nice, cool, and holds a conversation well with me and we go from there.

Though, an ex told me he liked that I was taller than him, since my boobs were always eye level when I wore heels. :3
 Wh1te_Rabb1t
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/15/2011 12:41:58 PM
I did a neutral POF search of Men in my local area. Of a dozen or so guys' profiles that I recognized from around town, I would have to say almost ALL of them were lying about their height by +2 inches. I decides to mention something about that in my profile. Just stupid.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/15/2011 1:31:27 PM
I am not the tallest of the bunch but I am 6' barefooted, easily.

there is something about dudes being taller to most chicks which gives the perception I believe that he has better genes, stronger, more apt to be higher up the food chain - at least as it has been traditionally over the centuries of society.

historically bigger meant stronger, meant better provider...

women still have this perception either in their DNA or whatever.

its a preference just as anyone else has a preference....yet it is one of the more popular preferences for women.

I believe it goes down to genetics tehy will be passing on to their own children as well.

for me being tall - ya, its cool - and ya, chicks dig it....plenty of times I've been in the club dancin with some gal and she just gets the idea in her head to use me as a stripper pole and jump up and climb on me.

have you ever seen a girl jump up and climb on a little guy ?

never.
 MikeWM
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2011 1:47:46 PM
Actually, if they did jump up on a little guy in the middle of a dance floor you still wouldnt see it because of all the averaged sized people blocking your view lol
 Oceanviolet
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2011 6:40:58 PM
I am 5' 8" and I like a guy to be my height or taller, usually. Some shorter guys can pull it off though - takes a lot of personality.

My complaint is that most men lie about their height - or do they lie? I used to be 5'9" and over the years have lost an inch.

Guys, re-measure yourself especially if you're over 50. You aint as tall as you used to be!

The guy I met today said he was 5'11" , but was exactly my height. Of course, turns out he lied about his age too. Hmmm, come on if you want a relationship with a woman, what's the point of lying? You'll be found out!
 cooldog65
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 2:34:50 AM
I have dated women from 4' 9" to 6'0". Height doesn't matter to me. Horizontally, the difference washes out anyway!

The two things I have no control over are genetic, my height and race.
 MikeWM
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 4:06:59 AM

My complaint is that most men lie about their height - or do they lie? I used to be 5'9" and over the years have lost an inch.

Damn that recession and high inflation combo lol

You are right though, its not uncommon for men to lose an inch or two

But it tends to be far worse in winter months.......
 Babyboyblue69
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/16/2011 6:39:33 PM
The hell with it,i'm gonna buy some high heels lol.
 B0SSMAN
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/16/2011 8:40:19 PM
lol,good thread, I must say ,I'm glad to be 5'5" (on a good day), it makes it easier on me because alot of shallow,stuck up women automatically take themselves out of the picture,leaving me with less that I have to cull. Thx ladies

btw,being a short/fat/ugly/whatever person is easily overcome with the right attitude and confidence.
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/2/2011 7:07:51 AM
Purebliss, you are wiser than so many on POF. Your "Most guys only like women under 5'8" and this is because these guys are insecure and can only feel like men if they're with someone short." is so true. The reverse is also true that many short women must have such a bad image issue that they compensate by only going after the tall guys. I get a lot of women under 5' that contact me. The are beyond their child-bearing years. WTF?
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:04:13 AM
two of the biggest man-wh0res I know are 5'7" and 5'8". The 5'8" guy is even kind of chubby and he picks up women online non-stop. Well, he has no standards with their looks, but still... Just proving my point that guys are way more obsessed with height than girls.

I don't see how that has anything to do with guys' preferences on height. Shorter guys picking up not-great-looking chicks online? Height & build are (sometimes strongly) a key part of Looks. Shorter guys picking up fuglies online doesn't discount the concept that height is less of an issue for women.... if a guy is otherwise much better looking than a lady, height becomes less of an issue. Also, if the woman is not good looking to the point where a guy would have no standards on picking her up -- height is less of an issue for her, yes. I mean, let's be honest -- if said guys were 6'1", their standards would increase with the looks for quick action, because their opportunities would fare better. Of course, same goes with guys -- height is less of an issue if they aren't great looking either.

The reason you may see this less, though, is because most women are really short and will always be shorter than most guys, so you rarely hear women complaining about this.

Most women are not "really short".... they make up half the population. But yes, shorter than guys (5'4"ish vs 5'9"ish). Many women 5'2" though ("really short" as you may say it), aren't going to have much of a difference in preference than an avg height gal. On another site which shows height preference -- you won't see a not-so-good-looking woman who's 5'2" want a guy 5'10" or taller, really.... but if you see a very attractive woman who's 5'2", you commonly will. I think women who aren't so-great-looking are the most popular demographic for height being less of an issue. I'd also say women who are notably non-status-quo by lifestyle/culture/persona are ones where you'll find more caring less about it, too.
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:29:57 AM
Its just a matter of preference and also a matter of opportunity. When I was over 350lbs(not a typo), very few men would look at me, short tall medium...Now that I've lost about 200lbs, more men are attracted to me. Alot more. Do I think every guy out there wants me? Nope, some men want women that are slimmer still and some want brunettes...etc but I get alot more oppurtinities then I did before. But one thing I learned, no man is going to ask a woman out unless he's attracted to her and most men don't apologize for their preferences. Nor should they.
So why is it ok for men to go for the women they are attracted to but if I say I'm attracted to someone taller than me, I'm shallow?
Its ridiculous, its as if men think that the privilege of being able to date and sleep with people they find attractive is reserved for them only, and that we women should put away our preferences and only look at men for what's inside. Never met a man yet who did that.
 partyman1976
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:58:48 AM
ONLY look at the number & the couples out there. See the demographics of men & women in their Mid 30's & up.
1) plenty of over weight women walking around with a mate , even married or if now single.... have children.
2) an extreem large number of SHORT men mid 30's & up all with the same situation= " never married .... no children "
2b) extreemly rare..... I can wait years..... to see a short guy with a mate..... esp. even one remotely avaerage in looks & build.
CONCLUSION: short men are the least desirable & this " preference" among female is MORE a REQUIREMENT that a man NOT BE SHORT!!
>>>> you could have a eye missing, a limb missing ..... BUT DON'T BE SHORT!!!
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/2/2011 12:49:18 PM
A lot of people on these dating websites seem to confuse the words "preference" and "requirement." They are not interchangeable.

Preference:

"I usually date guys over 6 feet tall, but will consider any height depending on the individual."

Requirement:

"I will NOT date anyone under 6 feet tall."

There's a difference.
 sassy0013
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/2/2011 1:00:16 PM

btw,being a short/fat/ugly/whatever person is easily overcome with the right attitude and confidence.

True story. :-)
 christyis4real
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/2/2011 1:07:34 PM
It's all about personal preferance. A men I can look up at is a HUGE turn on. I know that short men need love too, but it's not what floats my boat. ;)
 Wh1te_Rabb1t
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/2/2011 2:31:59 PM
If you choose men over six feet tall to be your search 'Preference', the computer MAKES it a Requirement. The software doesn't know any better. Yes, some search engines can randomize height if other variables seem to fit, but by putting that into your search limitations, you ARE weeding out short (and most medium) height guys.

How many times do you actually change your established set of search preferences - and do you change height along with other variables? How often?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > We talked about weight, well, what about height? :-)