Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Meeting intelligent women in RL      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TechnoBear
Msg: 10
Meeting intelligent women in RLPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Its tough I think. Meeting intelligent women isn't hard its finding a relationship with one that is.

Plus, I'd like to comment about intelligence. Its actually a double edged sword. Intelligent people are so much better at finding ways to tie themselves up in knots. I consider myself intelligent and know this first hand.

Intelligent women won't be any less emotional or irrational as others are. However, they will be able to run rings around you when you try to discuss an issue with them.

Look for a good and open heart first and then someone who can hold up their end of a conversation.

JMHO
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 11
Meeting intelligent women in RL
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:17:30 PM
Gimme a break! Is it REALLY THAT tough to meet someone who can hold their own end of a conversation? I hear this all the time and it makes it sound like out in the real world is just a bunch of brain dead bimbos walking the streets.

Finding someone whom we are attacted to which we share an affinity with, that's a different story and that I can beleive is hard to come by. But something as common as someone who can have intelligent conversation, sounds so simplistic.

I question what sort of people you approach if your complaint is that you can't seem to find "anyone" who is intelligent!?!

My suggestion: join the Mensa society?

PS "inferred" means exactly what lux interior used it for...what's your point d-reddy?
 Chess Bored
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:33:35 PM
Well if they've bothered to answer this forum thread you just may find some online soon..!

TechnoBear
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:40:12 PM

Gimme a break! Is it REALLY THAT tough to meet someone who can hold their own end of a conversation?

Yes, it can be. Remember, everything is relative. Just because someone has an opinion and possesses enough english skills that they can communicate it conversationally, doesn't mean there's any real intelligence there.

I could have it wrong but I assumed the OP was referring to university coffee house grade conversations (if I can call them that). I love those kinds of conversations and don't get enough of it. I recently met my GF's nephews and their Father and have been enjoying talking with them about a variety of subjects.

Signs of intelligent conversation:

- Understanding the true meaning of the word 'argument'.
- An attempt on both sides to understand the points being made.
- Questions being asked
- Some empirical content like statistics or models of understanding relating to the topic
- Passion but respect, possibly followed by a hug
- Some ability to 'justify' a position indicating prior thought and effort to understand
- Some effort to entertain the other with annecdotal evidence or references to interesting materials on the topic.

Unfortunately many people go through life on auto-pilot IMHO. They are so busy just dealing with life and its challenges that they don't have much more to offer other than their position. Some are worse - they allow others to tell them what to think and become good at parroting.

OK its official. I'm an elitist! LOL. Not really, but I have never developed the fine art of discussing the weather or sports scores.
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:11:58 PM
@ Technobear After reading everything you just described I have come to the conclusion you are not on here looking for a mate you are looking for a good argument! LOL You're not an elitest, you just love to argue! Join a debate club not a dating site.

SexyandBrainy
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:13:44 PM
^^ Look again. YOu posted in between, not inteded at your post. ;-)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Meeting intelligent women in RL