Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Do you actually read the profiles or just look at the pics?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 8
Do you actually read the profiles or just look at the pics?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I could give you all examples yesterday of women(plural) that DID NOT read my profile, yet still e-mailed me. When someone mails me, I read their profile, compare all their DO NOT WANTS, and then e-mail them all back and point out all the things that I DO. Still single.......
 canadianredneck
Msg: 9
Do you actually read the profiles or just look at the pics?
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:36 PM
Believe half of what you see and nothing you read. I mean if you're trying to sell yourself to another person, are you going to post the bad stuff? lol
 Walts
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:21:41 PM
You mean we are suppose to lie Milf??? Crap,,,, now I'm starting to get it
 who_the_fox
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:29:14 PM
All I know is that I often get mail from men who have no clue I am on the island, that I am NOT looking to date, that I bodybuild or that I am 50....and they will usually state in their correspondance how interesting they found my profile...
 Draxx
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/3/2006 10:00:53 PM
What's a profile?
 hobbes26
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/4/2006 9:59:37 AM
lol well, I figure alot of people use the translation system. They replace a negative thing with a more positive one. Like they do with real estate, its not small... its cosy. Its not Delapidated, its rustic.

ex. straight forward- obnoxious
Great Personality! (compared to their looks... the personality is better...)
Cosy-should not be seen outside as they scare children
Outgoing- Trolip

See things such as these...substitute the negative with a positive. Hrms... me think this could be a great thread all unto its own....
 hobbes26
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/4/2006 2:20:16 PM
ok so here is a list of words and their translations as received from a friend of mine

""30-ish" means: 38
"Adventurer" means: Has had more partners than you ever will
"Affectionate" means: Possessive
"Artist" means: Unreliable
"Average-looking" means: You figure this one out
"Beautiful" means: Pathological liar
"Commitment-minded" means: Pick out curtains, now!
"Communication important" means: Just try to get a word in edgewise
"Contagious smile" means: Bring your penicillin
"Educated" means: College dropout
"Emotionally secure" means: Medicated
"Employed" means: Has part-time job stuffing envelopes at home
"Enjoys art and opera" means: Snob
"Enjoys nature" means: Bring your own granola
"Exotic beauty" means: Would frighten a martian
"Financially secure" means: One paycheck from the street
"Free spirit" means: Substance abuser
"Friendship first" means: Trying to live down reputation as a slut
"Fun" means: Annoying
"Gentle" means: Comatose
"Good listener" means: Hard to get a word out of her
"Humorous" means: Caustic
"Intuitive" means: Your opinion doesn't count
"In transition" means: Needs new sugar daddy to pay the bills
"Light drinker" means: Lush
 twang67
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:11:51 PM
if Im attracted to the looks of the person of course I 'll read the profile IF i get an email/message once again I'll will read the profile and sometimes even if there is no attraction but lives in my city I will read the profile.
Obviosly I cant read eveyones but there are some really humoruos , intelligent along with some strange and some very strange people in here and some are worth reading just for a laugh but who am i to say in their eyes I might be considered strange too.
Point is unlike the saying a picture says squat about them if it even is them it's entertainment
 twang67
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:14:50 PM
why does my pic keep disapearing?
 Bandito
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/6/2006 10:21:33 PM
I don't know Bellarella but I still want to date your dog

Bana-dito
 Zippa_D_Dooda
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:46:04 PM
here's my process;

1. check out the name - if it contains "goddess", "princess", "sexy" or some such nomeclature i skip it.

2. check out the intro line -...see above...

3. check out the pic - if there isn't one (which there should be) but 1 & 2 don't apply move to step 4

4. read the profile

5. make the decision to say something smart, silly or smarmy
 TrystofLime
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:48:45 PM
Hehehe... I've gotten some funny emails lately, since I changed my profile to "taken". I'll get a message, "Hey there let's chat" or some such... and another one from the same guy several hours later saying, "Whoops, didn't see you're not single."

Yep... there's some non-readers out there. *grins*
 Draxx
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:49:23 PM
Vic Gent - 3. Addendum: If the picture is of their cat / feet / painting /back of the head...........skip
 who_the_fox
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/3/2006 1:20:01 PM
I love it when guys email me about how sexy my profile is....or how interesting I am. I always ask why they think so.....and then never hear from them again lol
 canadianredneck
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/3/2006 2:15:36 PM
I read and look at the pics both. But I'll never email a girl unless she emails me first I've decided after some BS on here. Been chasing girls all my life and always chose the wrong one. Time to try something different. lol You can tell my mail box is full eh? lol Who wants to flog a dead horse anyway? I don't.
 ca1angel
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/1/2006 7:45:08 PM
yeah I think its just some standard email they have that they send to everyone hoping to get a response. Your right. They do not read the profile at all.
 spudotoole
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:57:40 PM
if the pic grabs my attention, I read the whold profile, and then deside on responding then and there.
 Dunkk
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:05:35 AM
I'd have to say i read the profiles I like hearing what people have to say for themselves I think it tells alot about a person when they can be original (heh theres alot of originality in here)
but I do look at the purdy pictures too specially if they have dark hair oh oh dark hair and glasses mmmm then I gotta look!
 Sexy Sabby
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:01:23 PM
Lol, you really made my day !! and yes i would have to say what you wrote is true !!!! Yes i do look at the pics and then read to see if there is anything we have in comm.
 Strappin Young Lad
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2006 10:56:14 PM
You know what they say those who can do...

I hope you all are reading the profiles...saves alot of trouble i would imagine.
 onlyoneworthy
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/16/2006 8:34:55 PM
I had some thoughts on this subject and rather than creating a new thread did a search and actually found the place I needed to post. Here's those thoughts:

Sometimes, the photographs can be so overpowering and say something all on their own that drives me to make an immediate response. Yes I want to respond only to the photographs. Sometimes that happens and I don't think that's what people want for the most part. As someone with half a brain, I usually go ahead and read the profile.

Here's my peeve.

I recently saw a profile with extremely provocative photographs, lots of cleavage, crotch, and bathing suit shots. Checked right next to the photographs, the person had selected "Other Relationship". Not much reason to even get to their profile here.

However, if you get into the profile, this person makes it clear that what they want to be is a high priced whore. By that I mean she wants to find a wealthy man who will provide for her in turn for her providing what is in the photographs for him. I don't really have a problem with that and it isn't germaine to the comment I have regarding all of this. The profile was specific in that she said she was seeking a "long term" situation.

My peeve is the checking of "other relationship" when she's looking for long term, especially when she's got nothing but cheesecake shots in her profile.

I made a break there because I have one more thought on profile pics. I see girls post all the time pics of themselves in bathing suits, etc., very revealing. Photographs of their cleavage and breasts. Sometimes purposely provocative, as in when the lens is looking down into their faces and into their blouses. Almost all of these women, without exception, are not looking for casual encounters.

Why can't they mark these photographs private and share them with special people, the people they're intended for? I've got a speedo pic in my profile, but you aren't going to see it. Why aren't women more of that mindset? How can they post pictures that enhance and draw your attention to sensual parts of their anatomy and then get angry or not respond at all when you do?

Speaking of profiles and pics and not responding...

What's the point of going beyond their pics? I read the profiles and sometimes I write well thought out, good intentioned letters. I almost never get a response. Not even a polite thank you.

I know when they read my mail, and I know they read it, there's a little button right there under the letter to "block user". Why don't they just use it and save me a lot of trouble?

Anyway, there's my thoughts on the subject. Oh... one last thing, those of you that don't send at least a polite thank you or hit the "block user" button, you know what? You're rude little girls. Your mothers would be ashamed.
 ~CARL LINGUS69~
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:45:51 PM
sister whats a shag then seeya is that the same as a roll on a long haired carpet.
 friendly faces
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2008 10:12:29 PM
I usually skim through the pics,
if someone catches my eye then I will read their profile.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:48:46 AM

Profiles are a great tool for screening, and some men seem to miss this opportunity! Photos too. Some pictures hide more than they reveal, which isn't a good indicator in my opinion.

I admit to disliking a badly written profile unless I know the writer's first language is not English. Poor grammar and spelling are a turn off.

I wish more guys looked at my height...

Look up..... wayyyy up!
 grimwurks
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/23/2008 8:47:18 PM
How would anyone know if there is even a chance of a match if you didn't read the profile . . . I have fallen for too many fake pictures lately. . . and meeting someone for the first time is where the attraction begins, not from a profile cause you could write anything . . . .
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Do you actually read the profiles or just look at the pics?