Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tictactoe
Msg: 62
Canadian / American relationships.. can it work???Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
leafslady

we like our Canadian men...so,don't go trying to steal them all

Well, what are you waiting for Leafslady? Steal me before I'm stolen and taken down south!
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Canadian / American relationships.. can it work???
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:26:09 PM
Come to Canada! Don't think you'll be disappointed! Just leave the men behind! They are priceless here!!!
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2006 5:35:45 PM
@ snowbird1111 - We sure don't have free health care in Alberta. I pay Alberta Health Care every month and, in fact, King Ralph is trying to get two tier health care in the back door.

Can't argue with you about Timmie's. Every province and territory has one of them

Tink, Calgary
 mogrl
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/4/2006 5:39:24 PM
not it wouldn`t work for more then one reason.One is immigration and the other is that MOST canadian men don`t want to leave canada.....or was it their moms house ???
 tictactoe
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/4/2006 5:47:37 PM
tinkerbellcgy

You're right , we do pay for our health care, but it's peanuts compared to the services we have access to. Instead of paying for the health care through our taxes, we pay directly . so what's the difference? Other provinces would rather hide the cost.

I just about bought the farm in August when I had a concusion. The cost of my emergency visit would have been very costly in the states. Here , it costs me no more than a few hundred a year for the insurance.

We have it very good in this province.

As for King Ralph and the two tier health, its not so back door as you think. How many Canadians have gone state side to get care? Paid out of their own pocket? If not state side, then to other countries. Two tier has been around for years. Besides, anytime I've ever had to take others to emergency or I've had to use the service, it's been fast, very good support and I have no complaint.

The bottom line to the whole thing is if my family needs medical support they cant get in my province or country, I will find it elsewhere. You can tell me it's unfair, and I should use the system here, but my going elsewhere has made room for someone else who also needs the medical attention.

My freinds husband had cancer and she was ready to sell the house to get him help. Care which wasnt available here. As good as our system is, we dont have all the answers.
 tictactoe
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:13:02 AM
jrguitar23

Some people dont have a sense of Ha ha. :-)

Now! As far as your women not staying past the first winter? We'll keep them warm. Very warm!

Jr, half of America endures the cold during winter. It's no different here than it is in many of the States.

snowbird1111
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/5/2006 5:08:00 PM
@jim1960 , my mom dated Don Cherry in school LOL

@ the health care... I needed a cat scan in Houston, 20 minutes and 5000.00$ U.S. later ..... I almost had a stroke from the bill and needed another one LOL
 snowbird1111
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/5/2006 5:12:14 PM
@bysmomoffour

16 months?? I drove from Houston to Toronto once a month every month for over 2 years with 90% of the time doing it alone... why so long without a visit?
 RiskyBzns
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:55:02 PM
I believe so redmamma. I have been talking with a wonderful canadian lady and we get along really great. She was even loving enough to send me a assorted can of cookies that she made as a xmas gift. Now this is one lady I would really love to meet. :-)
 arri
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/6/2006 7:12:02 PM
I am one of those rare ones up here who prefers Star Bucks to Timmies. but I like it up here better.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:53:37 PM
Of course it could work. I don't personally believe in long distance relationships, but for the right people it might succeed.

Don't count on me moving down there...for about another three years. On the other hand, if Harper gets elected....
 Captain Sargasmo
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:57:45 PM
i worked down in the US for a while...met some great people...

but to be honest, i'd never permanently move out of Canada.

did the LDR thing for a while with a girl in Boise...never again. too much distance, too much time apart...

then again...Redhotmamma IS one heck of a redhead...
 snowbird1111
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/8/2006 11:53:38 AM
@jim... no I don't think so LOL

@Kat doesn't take long to get addicted eh LOL

@ free spirit66 does it have to be Hawaii LOL
 DnickieD
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2006 4:13:24 PM
Absolutely!! I've chatted with some really sweet men from the States at length, but both have to be ready to work at it, and unfortunately they weren't as serious as it takes to be in a long term relationship, never mind a long distance one. A friend of mine just married a man from Arizona last summer, and they are now living in Montreal in her condo. He gave up a ranch, family and business to be with her in Canada. So I think the right combo of partners, patience and major trust would be paramount to succeed in an LDR.
I would try again, personally.
 tictactoe
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:11:15 PM
keatsfan

Do you love the Bush-leaguers and neo-Nazis who are running this country?

Keat, do you really believe this? Come now.. the U.S. is a great country. I don't think there is ever a leader everyone will agree with. But it doesnt mean your country is run by Neo-Nazis.
 :
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2006 4:02:30 PM
Sure of course they can, love has it's reasons of which reason knows not.
 triplebp
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:30 PM
No kept it's not about free trade so to speak.

Red yes of course it could work with dedication and trust. Canada is not that far from the states it just depends on where you are talking about. Oh but you are talking about a long distance thing.
For me the US is right in my backyard and I drive through there about 2-3 times a month. The more you cross the border the less of a risk they see you as so it becomes routine.

So yes it can work for the right people. As for Timmy's and healthcare hmmmmm. Ok Tim's has crossed the border but the health care thing is another story. I guess one could just keep the Canadian address.

who_the_fox
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/13/2006 6:25:04 AM

If you can't get laid in your own country, you probably don't deserve any.

Agreed
 who_the_fox
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:22:34 AM
Why should I look for someone who isn't even from the same damn country as I am? That strikes me as being completely ludicrous.

There is enough of an issue for me to meet/date Canadians who just live on the mainland!! Who wants to piss about with borders and work visas??
 who_the_fox
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:35:25 AM
Are you on a freaking island? I think not.
Are you planning on relocating to a foreign country? Do you expect the "sparksme" to?
Ever stopped to consider the logistics of the partnership?
Different city is no big deal. Different country, HUGE deal.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:38:29 AM
Well, I am a logical and RATIONAL person. Maybe that is what makes the difference.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:46:47 AM
Okay. The difference here is that sure...Seattle is a lot closer and an easy hop. Can I work there? No. Can he work here? No. Sure, great for a first meet....and if we click then what?

What do we have? A long distance relationship.

Am I looking to fall for someone I can only see once a month? Hell no.
If I fall for someone, I want to be able to spend TIME with them....and that means living/working in some sort of reasonable proximity.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:59:46 AM

I think it's possible to build a more meaningful relationship WITH the distance. You aren't hooked on all the physical stuff right away, you ACTUALLY get to know the person better.

RIGHT...I spent almost 2 years getting to know someone online and over the phone...and when we spent a weekend together, it was a disaster. Face to face and in each other's company is the only way to learn about someone.

if you fall in love...perhaps marriage? And with that comes the rights to work/live in the country.

and I am going to fall in love and marry someone by getting to know them over the phone and online? Sure I am!

I am not even going to meet anyone from out of the country. If I can't find my "mate" within the 12 million Canadian men...then I will get myself some therapy and some cats.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:11:19 PM
Ah....you're 25. All the optomism is making sense now.

BTW a 6 month visitor visa doesn't allow for WORKING in the US....and I am not a parasite.

The guy in question lived in DC, I live on the island...was a serious amount of $ to visit back and forth.

The point you are missing here is that for YOU a Canadian-American relationship might be workable.
For me it is not.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:30:15 PM
Good for you

Nice when things come together...

I was just trying to point out that there are some serious drawbacks to an international relationship. Ones that would make me not consider it as an option.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >