Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DnickieD
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Canadian / American relationships.. can it work???Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Absolutely!! I've chatted with some really sweet men from the States at length, but both have to be ready to work at it, and unfortunately they weren't as serious as it takes to be in a long term relationship, never mind a long distance one. A friend of mine just married a man from Arizona last summer, and they are now living in Montreal in her condo. He gave up a ranch, family and business to be with her in Canada. So I think the right combo of partners, patience and major trust would be paramount to succeed in an LDR.
I would try again, personally.
 tictactoe
Msg: 99
Canadian / American relationships.. can it work???
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:11:15 PM
keatsfan

Do you love the Bush-leaguers and neo-Nazis who are running this country?

Keat, do you really believe this? Come now.. the U.S. is a great country. I don't think there is ever a leader everyone will agree with. But it doesnt mean your country is run by Neo-Nazis.
 :
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2006 4:02:30 PM
Sure of course they can, love has it's reasons of which reason knows not.
 triplebp
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:30 PM
No kept it's not about free trade so to speak.

Red yes of course it could work with dedication and trust. Canada is not that far from the states it just depends on where you are talking about. Oh but you are talking about a long distance thing.
For me the US is right in my backyard and I drive through there about 2-3 times a month. The more you cross the border the less of a risk they see you as so it becomes routine.

So yes it can work for the right people. As for Timmy's and healthcare hmmmmm. Ok Tim's has crossed the border but the health care thing is another story. I guess one could just keep the Canadian address.

who_the_fox
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/13/2006 6:25:04 AM

If you can't get laid in your own country, you probably don't deserve any.

Agreed
 who_the_fox
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:22:34 AM
Why should I look for someone who isn't even from the same damn country as I am? That strikes me as being completely ludicrous.

There is enough of an issue for me to meet/date Canadians who just live on the mainland!! Who wants to piss about with borders and work visas??
 who_the_fox
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:35:25 AM
Are you on a freaking island? I think not.
Are you planning on relocating to a foreign country? Do you expect the "sparksme" to?
Ever stopped to consider the logistics of the partnership?
Different city is no big deal. Different country, HUGE deal.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:38:29 AM
Well, I am a logical and RATIONAL person. Maybe that is what makes the difference.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:46:47 AM
Okay. The difference here is that sure...Seattle is a lot closer and an easy hop. Can I work there? No. Can he work here? No. Sure, great for a first meet....and if we click then what?

What do we have? A long distance relationship.

Am I looking to fall for someone I can only see once a month? Hell no.
If I fall for someone, I want to be able to spend TIME with them....and that means living/working in some sort of reasonable proximity.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:59:46 AM

I think it's possible to build a more meaningful relationship WITH the distance. You aren't hooked on all the physical stuff right away, you ACTUALLY get to know the person better.

RIGHT...I spent almost 2 years getting to know someone online and over the phone...and when we spent a weekend together, it was a disaster. Face to face and in each other's company is the only way to learn about someone.

if you fall in love...perhaps marriage? And with that comes the rights to work/live in the country.

and I am going to fall in love and marry someone by getting to know them over the phone and online? Sure I am!

I am not even going to meet anyone from out of the country. If I can't find my "mate" within the 12 million Canadian men...then I will get myself some therapy and some cats.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:11:19 PM
Ah....you're 25. All the optomism is making sense now.

BTW a 6 month visitor visa doesn't allow for WORKING in the US....and I am not a parasite.

The guy in question lived in DC, I live on the island...was a serious amount of $ to visit back and forth.

The point you are missing here is that for YOU a Canadian-American relationship might be workable.
For me it is not.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:30:15 PM
Good for you

Nice when things come together...

I was just trying to point out that there are some serious drawbacks to an international relationship. Ones that would make me not consider it as an option.
 triplebp
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2006 10:23:23 PM
redmamma

Do it no matter the distance but do it cautiously. You know you might just end up in love or at least with a good friend.

Yes they work as a matter of fact my Dad just married a US citizen a few years ago. It's like any relationship there are always risks involved.

They have a home in Ontario and a place in Florida.

Works for them.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 130
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:39:50 PM
I am just old and experienced

And no, I am not saying that young people have no sense....

Young people can afford to take risks and make mistakes....a few years is nothing when you are in your 20s, but it is a hell of a chunk of the rest of your life when you are 50
 who_the_fox
Msg: 133
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:53:59 PM
According to men

For a woman 50 IS dead

Just out of interest, I started a post asking about people dating mainlanders...oddly, most of them think even that is too much work. Maybe our views are warped by being trapped on the Rock?
 fantasyland11
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:14:42 PM
''Sure it can a lot of my friends have married American women.If I were to fall for
a woman anywhere on this planet,there are no mountains nor oceans to stop me
from getting to her and being with her.'' no1cowboy, Great answer! appaulse!!

How many men can be like you???! Dedication and devotion is extremely rare amongst the men as statistically proven. If I were to find a man as such, he would be loved by me to death!!!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 10:32:49 AM
Just Google for the First Special Service Force (FSSF) , popularly known as the " Devil's Brigade" , from WW2.

If you want to know where units like the Seals and Delta Force can trace their routes back to, one of those influences is there.

Americans and Canadians were brought together, trained together, and developed some brand new tactics in warfare. The qualities both nations brought to the mix made both stronger.

These men, without any real military background, and coming from a democracy ( with all the limitations that can mean in warfare) were sent against some of the most elite German units in action. Those units were composed of men with centuries of military experience in their families, and were run with an iron hand.

The Devil's Brigade terrorized them, and consistently won in every battle they fought.

I think that's the proof we all need as to how well Canadians and Americans can work together.

What we need is the " First Special Forces of Love. "
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 147
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:36:23 AM
I truly think it can be done. The catch is of course one of you has to be willing to give up their current life for it to work. I would hope, should you ask that of someone, you would have the strength of character to do everything to make sure it works. It's quite alot to ask of someone, to show how grateful you are for someone taking such a chance on you should be way up on your priorities list.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 148
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:45:41 AM
I have a friend who married an AMerican woman. It took 2 years for her to be able to work in Canada and another 6 months after that before she was eligible for MSP. The legal costs were around $5000.00
It isn't as easy as one would think...so prepare for some hard work and a lot of red tape.
 caffeine7
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 11:09:00 AM
I would date an American, but if we decided to move in together, he would have to move to Canada...unless he lived in a liberal-minded state.
 sexyviper
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2006 8:48:21 AM
yeah moondog ...you just keep believeing that
 NtvNtv
Msg: 158
Posted: 8/16/2013 7:08:24 PM
I love the American accent....would like to date an American for sure.
 NtvNtv
Msg: 159
Posted: 8/16/2013 8:48:16 PM
The 2 fellows I met were from California and the other from Orlando.
Could listen to them all day :)
 liketo
Msg: 160
Posted: 8/20/2013 2:21:44 PM
You want accents! I married a Chinese lady, she only knows a few words in English. I taught her to say holy shit, it sure sounds funny the way she talks, and i love it (and her).
 or_current_resident
Msg: 161
Posted: 8/20/2013 5:12:56 PM

I married a Chinese lady, she only knows a few words in English. I taught her to say holy shit, it sure sounds funny the way she talks, and i love it (and her)

There ya go! marde!!! ^^^^^^ moi parley la fran- say aper many moons ago ,can you tell?.....^^^^^^

And to think you guys brought us the Mounted Police,Maple Syrup & Hockey! thank you..........oh Canada....
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >