Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ldygmr
Msg: 5
Asking guys out... Do or don'tPage 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Ask him a question about himself. Use that as a segue to compliment him on whatever. Once he smiles or blushes or whatever at the compliment, suggest that you would enjoy hearing from him on your private time. Give him your number. A CELL number in case he's a psycho like Dahmer.
 wiserd
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Asking guys out... Do or don't
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:09:48 AM
So... do I go for it? Does this turn guys off?

Welcome to a guy's world. lol. This guy could be shy. He could be conflicted. He could be any number of things. Most of the people here are not shy and may not understand his point of view. But it is certainly possible that he's interested but hasn't asked you out.

I mean I made the first move with my ex and he turned out to be the worse thing that ever happened to me.

But if he's your ex, then making a move "worked", right? Whether or not he's a jerk is somthing else entirely.
 smith2267
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/4/2006 11:39:47 AM
I have never been asked out by a girl.
I would love it. Go for it.
 get_over_it
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:59:22 AM
everyone's different. Why not ask em out? Its the 21st century, go for it, girl. And good luck.
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:07:36 PM
I do it. What's wrong with it?
 smith2267
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/8/2006 8:46:29 PM
>>I do it. What's wrong with it?

That it doesn't happen to me...that's what's wrong.
 Real_Brunette
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:43:52 PM
DO! Men can be shy...even the ones who could probably have any woman in the room.
 Real_Brunette
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:18:59 PM
I disagree. I have had plenty of hot men interested in me.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:55:21 AM
I won't ask. Can't tell if they are
a) married
b) interested
 sparticuss
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/1/2006 4:35:11 AM
"Maybe he's Just Not Into You" and got it in my head that if a guy does not ask you for your number or does not ask you out he is not interested. AND if you need to "make the first move" it never works out.
========================
M dear I have BOTH rread and reviewed that book. What a piece of garbage. A true book for burning.

Lets see now. Where is the bit about him not calling you........

Page 42 He’s not into you

Greg
If he’s not calling you its because you are not on his mind

The truth
If he’s not calling you it’s because he’s not allowed to call you. Or because your boss has told your secretary to hold all calls of a personal nature. Or because he’s up to his elbows in blood in the operating theatre. Trying to save a life is one of many reasons you are not on his mind.

If you are married, and a mother, and up to your elbows in babies, then you will know exactly what it is like to not have the time to call him.

Greg
If he creates expectations for you and then doesn’t follow through on little things he will do the same for big things. Be aware of this and realize that he’s OK with disappointing you.

The truth
If he doesn’t follow through on little things then its because he regards them as too trivial to follow through on. You will fail to follow through on the same trivial promises to your children in about ten years time.

Greg
Don’t be with someone that doesn’t do what they say they are going to do

The truth
To honor and obey. You said that at the altar. You promised! And you have neither honored nor obeyed.

Greg
If he’s choosing not to make a simple effort that would put you at ease and bring harmony to a recurring fight then he doesn’t respect your feelings and needs.

The truth
You need air, water, and food, in that order. Shelter and clothing are nice too. But designer clothing to be worn on a daily basis and a phone call scheduled to the second, is a “want” NOT A NEED.

Greg
Busy is another word for ***hole. ***hole is the guy you’re dating

The truth
Busy is another word for busy.
***hole?? You would have to be talking about a junkie, addicted to multiple drugs, who had beaten up at least one girlfriend badly enough to cripple her, and had raped his own five year old daughter. These lowlife’s do actually exist but a naive kid like you has never known a true ***hole.

Greg
You deserve a ****ing phone call.

The truth
No you don’t. Not until you’ve smartened up your whole attitude to men.
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/5/2006 8:36:03 PM
Hi,
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking a guy out, I have done it
myself and have never gotten any "no's"
I think anyone, is flattered to be asked out.
Most people fear rejection, or the risk of being embarrassed. I think it takes
a lot of guts to get the nerve up to ask someone out, especially if you have
wanted to for a long time.
Now, some posters said the same thing I am thinking, yeah, why is it that
a lot of men do not pick up on obvious hints?????
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/6/2006 5:20:15 PM
Yeah, I mean obvious, like the time I used to ask this guy for things I didn't
even need, when he was mowing my neighbor's lawn. I would ask to use his
rake, weedwacker, I would tell him he should say "hi" when he sees me, and
I would always talk and I would smile so hard at him.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/6/2006 5:35:57 PM
I think every woman should at least approach a guy just once. It's a good experience, gives you personal understanding of what it feels like and may make you more approachable. Even if you don't ask them out, once you start talking they'll usually either suggest a date or ask for a number.
 outlawtomboy
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/12/2008 11:29:46 AM
i see some of the male posters have given positive feedback but i've never had luck with this. i don't anticipate ever trying it again - everything seems to work much better if they do the asking

maybe my technique was off????
 fetish4u
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2008 1:47:53 PM
I think each guy is different.I like women who are direct and say lets go out.I love women to make the first move.I'm kinda shy but when a woman is more aggressive with me I feel more relaxed around her.When a woman is shy we would end up just looking at each other all night.Not good.
 GregFireman
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/12/2008 7:53:47 PM
I wish girls were socially engineered to ask out guys.... and not it being, for the most part, the other way around. I think it's lame how we still live in a society that is geared towards thinking guys always have to make the first move.
 redneckI
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/28/2008 5:02:38 PM
Go for it, the guy shoud be flattered I would if it ever happened to me. I can tell you it can be frustrating sitting back waiting to see if a lady you like is going to answer the email you sent or her telephone when you try to call. After about the third try I figure I have been kicked to the curb and she doesn't want to hear from me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >