Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lexus430
Msg: 53
Match.com are irresponsiblePage 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
on one site i had 4 e-mails waiting supposedly from interested women, but no one had checked my profile, so who messages you without looking at your profile, they just want you to pay so they plant e-mails to you, it`s a scam
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 55
Match.com and others
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:38:04 PM
I talked to a guy on match who I figured was date bait.
This was long time agowhen I was meeting people from dating sites.

I met him anyway, more out of curiosity if I could get a job there too....
what it paid and what they job consited of.
He got angry for some reason....

Guess he figured I was meeting him for something else?
 betterlate
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Match.com are irresponsible and dishonest
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:33:12 AM
I was a member on a three day trial with match.com, i got lots of emails from people in other parts of the country, mostly much older men, wanting sex, one guy was an identity theft con, asking me for my b day, my address so he could send flowers with a stolen credit card, and asking me and others for emergency money to help him get back home after being robbed in Germany, France and well every other country.. hahahaha It is a good thing most of us are suspicous to a degree. After my trial ended, I got fifty emails (all fake) trying to entice me to come back and pay. What a crock of BS, I would never join them or any of the pay to date, be stalked, verbally abused (if you dont respond just the way they want). I like POF, however the first few days I deleted emails before I had a chance to read them, I thought I knew what I was doing.. I hope they didnt get mad.
I am thrilled to read how many people have met someone wonderful on here, it is very exciting!!!! I do get upset with the fifty something, overweight, balding, not attractive, men wanting to date Paris Hilton look a likes, saying that they prefer twenty to thirty year olds, under 125 weight, and intelligent, happy, blah blah blah, they will never be happy, never find true love because they are living in a dream. Some men and women are overweight from medicines, depression, injury or just not exercising enough, yet when a person meets someone they really like, they start losing weight, start being more active, are happier and the weight just falls off, so for anyone to blow off someone for a few extra pounds is silly. A guy that was not cute at all asked me out several years ago, I saw into his eyes that he was a very sweet guy that was just out of shape, had a bad hair cut, bad teeth and skin so I told him I would go out with him in a couple of weeks, that I had to go out of town on business, so when I got back, it was an amazing difference!! He had a new hair style, new clothes and his teeth were bleached, he had a bit of a tan and looked freakin great, we had a long relationship and were going to get married but he was transferred to another city and I just wasnt prepared to move away from my family and friends.
Good luck to all of you!
 affectionate143
Msg: 59
Match.com are irresponsible
Posted: 12/29/2006 6:09:23 AM
I am a member of Match.com (Paying) and I know that when someone emails me on the site I receive in my mailbox on the site and also receive one in my personal email. The one that is sent to my personal email account is sent annomously from the sender as @TalkMatch.com
If they send there email address in the email itself it is not changed to my knowledge.

Mel
 Rebellious
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/29/2006 7:33:32 AM
I tried out a 6-month paid membershipp at Match .com earlier this year. I never got to post my profile the way I wanted it. Every time I edited my profile, Match would send me an email saying that they wouldn't "approve" it. Here's a copy of their email:

Dear ______:

Thank you for submitting your profile for posting with our service. Unfortunately, we cannot approve and post it at this time because a portion appears to be confusing, filled with random text, cut off mid-paragraph or inappropriate, but it may be approved with minor changes.

Please take a moment to log in, rewrite any section which may not meet our site guidelines, and re-submit your profile for evaluation. Once your profile has been received, you will receive confirmation of approval within 24 to 72 hours.

Thank You

If you have any questions, please check the Help section available from the top navigation bar of our site. Or click here: _________

Your Match.com Customer Care Team

They also disallowed some of my photos. Women on Match have pics of their cats, dogss, their backyard, etc. but my portrait photos were not approved for unknown reasons. Match also give themselves license to crop your photos anyway they like, this type of artistic freedom is disturbing since these photos belong to members.

This kind of censorship is repugnant, so I cancelled my account and deleted myy profile. I don't know what their practices had been in the past, but they didn't censor emails I received from women, they were able to send me their personal email addresss and phone number with no problem. But in my opinion Match .com is a scam, for all the reasons people have mentioned in this thread. I think that with FREE dating sites like POF and My$pace, the days of paid online dating websites are numbered.

Pink Rose Lady
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/29/2006 7:57:39 AM
Match.com is irresponsible and are a bunch of crooks. I have filed a complaint against them and am advising everyone to stay away. They do not respond appropriately to their emails and are evasive in responding to complaints.

I can't believe Dr. Phil endorses this site, he needs a reality check. What is he thinking? $$$
 ladyc4
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/29/2006 8:37:42 AM

The one that is sent to my personal email account is sent annomously from the sender as @TalkMatch.com
If they send there email address in the email itself it is not changed to my knowledge.

That is because only PAYING Matchcom members can SEND email. Only PAYING members can READ email sent to them by other members. Once they have both parties money, for all Match or most of the other pay sites care, you could send your home address, phone # , a map to your house, your SSN, your bank acct #....well you get the picture. All this "worry" about "safety" is nothiing but a ploy to get into your wallet.

Now, having said that, I have in fact in the past met some very nice men, some of whom I still see as friends or correspond with. But MOSTLY those all occured BEFORE they got grabby about money.

I do have a paying acct at Yahoo,but it's been pretty dry lately, don't know if I will continue much longer.
Here are a few more free sites
ConnectingSingles
BlueCollar Dating
Matchdoctor
 canyunflyer
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2006 8:59:52 AM
Buy a block of time payed with a personal check. I garuantee you, when the time is up.... you won't have a problem with trying to stop it!!! ha.

I did a 3 month membership on match.com. I don't see what all the complaints are about. what in the Hell do you expect from a commercial site? They do it to make money. Sure, they want to assist you in being successful, but its because that will make them more money in the end. Its a business. I never had a single problem with censure....or refusals of fotos or profile text.... or anything. And I accepted the fact that everyone had to be paying members to play. I had a few minor complaints about format etc... but No site will ever be perfect.
 The Minister of Dudeness
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/29/2006 1:44:18 PM
People, people, people!!!

How can you resent those websites that let you window shop for free, but then make you pay if you actually want the merchandise? No one is GIVING you or even selling you a boyfriend or a girlfriend, they are SELLING ACCESS to potential boyfriends or girlfriends. They deserve to get paid for that, and you and I don't deserve it for free (even though PoF is giving us something for nothing). But then again, PoF doesn't advertize so I had to hear about it through a friend, and it is stronger in certain geographical areas than others, etc.

I think PoF has spoiled everybody. I don't know how PoF does it, and I think they are terrific, but you can't expect all services to be PoF. There are pros and cons to PoF and all the other sites, and either paying for a service is worth it to you or it isn't. If it isn't, quit critizing the others and focus on PoF.

The only sneaky stuff I've encountered on the other sites is a display that someone is on-line right now, when they aren't. Misleading, but I presume the service is trying to get you to make a contact sooner than later, so you meet someone sooner then declare their services a success and you become a satisfied coustomer that recommends them.

Instead of complaining that the other guys rightfully make you pay for access, compliment PoF for making it work without charging us.

Now, on with the daunting task of searching for love.
 ladyc4
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/29/2006 2:18:53 PM
As for the Yahoo member who appears to be "online"...
That shows up anytime a Yahoo member( remember it is not JUST a singles site) is logged into any part of Yahoo, that could be chat room, regular email account, instant messenger, games....Or some people share a yahoo account with another family member or room mate.(This is especially common with technology-intimidated older users)

It is pretty common for those initial contacts that seem so promising to fade away, and you will have lots of "first meetings" that will go noplace...
THIS( PoF, or ANY dating site, whether free or pay) IS NOT A "FAST LANE" ROUTE TO RELATIONSHIP SUCCESS. It is however a valid way to meet people you might not have otherwise met,even if they don't pan out. But it should be PART of other activities, not your sole recourse.

As for the "pay" situation, yes no one is arguing that the basic premise , payment for advertising space, is invalid. It's a fine idea at it's core.But I find some of the methods used by the various websites to be kind of insulting...they almost seem to want the site user to FEEL like a desperate loser.( "Hey ladyc4, dumsob has WINKED at you! What if he's THE ONE!! ?Hurry hurry, get out your credit card so you can email dumsob before he escapes!!) HEL-LO! just how damn stupid do these website "dating advisors" think we all are anyway??

Tell ya what, you can spend 50 bucks between transportation and drinks at a local bar, spend 29.99 a month for a dating website, subscribe to a free dating website, join a singles club, and walk down Main Street buck naked...any of those methods may or may not help you find "THE ONE". Option 4 probably WILL get you arrested ,if anybody happens to notice you. Maybe you'll meet someone nice in jail LOL...

Just thought I'd outline some of my personal thoughts, opinions and experiences. Your results may vary.
Cindy O
 The Minister of Dudeness
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:02:18 PM
If I did Option 4 I'd get a ticket for littering...
 ladyc4
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:39:29 PM

If I did Option 4 I'd get a ticket for littering...

yeah well if I did option4 they'd be calling Sea World to come and get me...
Cindy O
 wsrfr33
Msg: 76
Posted: 12/30/2006 3:20:48 PM
Yes, I used match.com for a couple of years; though not lately. I recall that what you say is true; you don't get to communicate DIRECTLY without being a member. That is why I included my e-mail address and phone number with any e-mail I sent or received while I was a member. With the exception of this site, few things in life are free..right? I am sure it is not cheap to keep this site up and running. There are very few really useful sites that offer a service that is free. People don't generally put the time and effort into a site for the fun of it. People who use this site as a benchmark need to do a reality check I think.

Ditto for eharmony.com, another paid site and probably catering more to the upper middle class, or at least the people who have money.
 stillbulletproof
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:58:53 PM
i sure have to agree with pinebreeze. its a paysite. pay and you can do whatever you are entitled to pay for. If you are on as a non paying member, and certain rights are denied you, well, hey, you got your moneys worth. Seems like we may have gotten a little spoiled from being on p.o.f. Sounds like you are looking for something for nothing and except for a few exceptions, you are most unlikely to find that on the net. (p.s., you really really can't make 25,000 a week from home for ten minutes work either)
 Americanlove
Msg: 84
Match.com and others
Posted: 12/31/2006 4:32:28 AM
Phone chat lines are Free to women usually BUT...they make the man pay
Sorta like prostitution if you look at the whole picture...
Try one of them and see....Like shopping for men in a candy store! you hear there profiles from their own mouth that they record and you record yours and then you hit let's say #1 to respond. They respond back and then it is up to you to give out # or email addy or whatever. I actually enjoyed the phone chat.
 valjean1789
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Match.com and fairness to members
Posted: 1/9/2007 2:51:19 PM
i sure have to agree with pinebreeze. its a paysite. pay and you can do whatever you are entitled to pay for. If you are on as a non paying member, and certain rights are denied you, well, hey, you got your moneys worth.

By saying this you ignore the unfairness perpetrated upon those members who assume that everyone they contact will be able to read the email and respond to it. Although I realize it is the members fault, in part for not reading the terms of service, I empathize with those members who contact another in the hope that a relationship will develop and have no idea that the non-paying member [npm] is not even aware of the contact.

I also object to the fact that the member may consider the npm rude and may give up on him/her. Perhaps the member later sees the npm in public and fails to approach him/her because of the non-response.

I fully understand that this is a capitalistic society and business does what business does, however, it also seems that a website supposedly dedicated to putting people together should be more responsible to the interests of those people. The paying websites formerly allowed npm's to respond. It's simply bad form not to allow that.
 mometal77
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/9/2007 2:52:39 PM
I joined match and made a great friend out of the thing. I did the free trial and meet a girl later on from back east that moved out with her parents.
True is a rip off fifty bucks a month common. And there are four other sites i can name off the top of my head if not more that are free. Just not really as big as pof. You have to understand even with paid sites even the people contacting you can be spammers.
No they wont give you your money back after you join.
Its like the yahell contract I had my old account stolen everything changed over a woman i added clicked on a site and i got an im from her with a link to geo cities.
It is a good idea to put a name with an i m account someone mentioned earlier on this.
I one time logged into someone other man's account on true and copied the url. And actually sent the guy an email. On his own dime telling him what happened.
Paid sites are a waist of time. Most dont even want to meet and hot or not i joined for six months meet a few and most are very young women. Some are married looking on there even. Or women underage claiming to be of age. Some where 14 that contacted me. Makes me wonder what could happen if you where trapped by perverted justice and the profile stated 22. There are ways around paid sites if you know how to do it. If the people reading your profile if they can and have a clue what to do. Its not like an http on a shirt in a picture. I find it funny how most paid sites keep track of what is on men's profile's and not on the women's. Some women have their contact right in plain view. It is totally sexist i think. That would be a good one lawsuit. A website of being discriminating against men. Sex sells i think. Why do you think they make there money.
Usually with online the people you connect with get along with the most live over five hundred miles away or on another continent. Also most sites make up profiles and dont fill everything out on the profile after you join. Buyer beware..
Its funny i saw a match add on this site..
 kitsguy4u
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2007 12:35:48 AM
I tried a couple of these sites a few years ago. Dont waste your money. You sign up for a free membership which means people can look at your ad but you cant contact anyone. What happens when you dont pay for the privileges is they start to send you messages saing you have an email from another member. So fo course you log in and look to see who has sent it and usually you can tell instantly that its fake. It will be a 21 yr old hottie that would obviously be getting hit with a hundred emails a day, and yet chooses to email the older guy that she would, if she were real have a note on her profile saying "Old guys stay away"!

Im not sure who you can complain to but I know a few of these evil dating sites have been in trouble for doing this. Its basically fraud. Claiming someone has emailed you so that you will pay to see the email. then find out that the person doesnt respond or that their profile doesnt exist.

In this case it could be a real email but then you wont know til you pay. I have seen people trying to disguise free methods of contacting them. such as typing with spaces "see me on P l e n t y o f F i s h" or e mail me at a h o t p l a c e .

Basically thats how i ended up on here. Got tired of the scams on other sites. It took me a couple of months on here before i truely realized it is FREE. I couldnt believe it because i had been "told" by every other site that it was free too.

POF is by far the best of them all. Its free and has these forums where I can have a lot of fun reading and posting.
 spectrumAU
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2007 1:36:51 AM
Rob, you could try dlook.com.au or spiceoflife.com.au or matchfinder.com.au
Not as expensive as RSVP, especially dlook, all Australian and worth a try.
 VeroNearU32960
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2007 2:42:52 AM
Lets all face facts here about Dr. Phil. He kissed Oprah Winfrey's Billionaire butt simply so he could perhaps gain his OWN talk show. And he indeed DID!
This craps all about M O N E Y.
 Aurian
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/15/2007 6:32:47 PM
Yeah, I tried it and wasn't impressed. No I didn't pay, but I was waiting to see if there was even any reason to pay. I tried it for awhile, sent out a bunch of smiles and got zip - no smiles, no emails, no looks. I get the feeling that the majority of the people "on" the site have long left it and not checking anymore.
 CandleGurl
Msg: 106
Match.com and others
Posted: 1/15/2007 10:27:45 PM
I have been a member here for awhile...just never posted anything. I do enjoy reading others comments. When I came across this subject I wanted to tell everyone of a great "free" site that is very good. DatingNmore.com is very good to be free. This site is virtually "scammer free" and if one does slip through they are immediately banned. The forums are also good to post on and you can learn so much about others by interacting in them. As a matter of fact they also advertise POF in there ads and banners. I agree...paid sites are rip offs. Peace
 Littletot
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Match.com and others
Posted: 1/15/2007 11:00:08 PM
I read Becca3 and I am thinking ,hmmmm. I know that I get date site spam now. I am paying on match dotcom and get NO emails from men. I am not a dog either. But I met a man outside of that site that gets at least 3 emails a day from new and different women. He uses the dates to get one night stands and then moves on. Granted the age group is older(he is 64), but just seems odd to me. When I email male profiles I get prehaps one reply of "no thanks" for every 15 emails I send.The others send nothing.Yet it shows them online daily.
All these bits and peices of info in these postings leads me to feel that there are fake profiles of MEN also.Of the 4 emails I have received all have broken English and very poor grammer. I think the "shared sites" idea is really bad. One site in Antarctica shared with one in New York..who ya gonna meet? LOL!! Is it prehaps that the NUMBERS are scewed in relationship sites..like 5 women to every man..? I think the STATS AND PRICE should be displayed on the HOMEPAGE of every date site.Then you know if odds are in your favor. If I see 2,000 members are men and 45,000 are female, I might as well just go out to a movie alone than spend it on another "squeeze that single for all they are worth " site. Searching is bummer enough without introducing false hope and rip offs into the picture.
 makin memories
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Match.com and others
Posted: 1/16/2007 2:37:01 AM
Has anyone out there tried Sugardaddy.com???
 keyboardgreedy
Msg: 110
You have to pay on match.com it's a great site I use it all the time
Posted: 1/16/2007 3:27:08 PM
you get what you pay for FREE is not better than some of the payPer Models
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  >