Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Match.com are irresponsiblePage 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
OP: Majority of the paysites are like that. They have these bots or pay people to email you to get you lured in, only to your surprise that you have to pay to reply and more than likely, who you are replying to isn't real, will ever reply to you back, or is a foreigner trying to run a scam on you. So everyone need to be aware of this and maybe we should all write a letter to the various newsgroups and get these people exposed.
 coachb41
Msg: 144
Match.com are irresponsible
Posted: 2/15/2007 12:53:06 PM
My time ran out on Match.Com on 2/5/7 I also removed my profile at the same time. I am still getting emails from Match telling me that someone has looked at my profile and would like to meet me. Pretty hard for me to understand that one with the removal of my profile.
There messenger system is probably the worst in the singles business that I have been on to this point.
I had been a member on Yahoo for quiet a long period of time and then I stop using it as well. When I tried to rejoin I couldn't do so because of not having my old P/W. Then couldn't change to a new P/W because I still didn't have the old P/W, I did conatct Yahoo and they gave me all of these examples to choose from however I still needed my old P/W. Guess what I finally just gave up with the whole thing including the messenger system.
I did meet some nice ladies on both sites and am still email friends with a few of them although I have never met some of them due to the out of state long distance thing.
Thanks Coach B
 bluem50
Msg: 146
Posted: 2/15/2007 1:35:15 PM
dude dating sites that require you to pay are scams half the time , and most of the pics are fake , however i wont say which sites though .
 oceandreamer67
Msg: 153
Match.com and others
Posted: 2/15/2007 4:57:40 PM
I was a paying member on match for a few months last summer. I didn't really have any complaints while I was there, I met some great guys and have made a few really great friends... but, I have been told by a few still there that their credit cards were hit quite a bit earlier then they were suppose to be for renewal. One guy told me he was going to cancel, and match hit him up for 6 more months and pulled a sneaky.

I have been on a few other sites, and the only thing that really sucks is when you ARE a paying member, and have no way of knowing if someone else is or not. As a paying member, I felt like I should be able to contact anyone on the site (and that they should be able to reply.) If a site won't allow non-paying members to reply, at the very least it would be nice to know if someone is not a member.

I have another site that keeps e-mailing me with photos of men who they say have winked/e-mailed me etc. and I'm asked to join so I can reply. Hmmm, then in small words at the bottom it says... *Images are for demonstrative purposes only and do not reflect actual members. On top of that, I never completed my profile on that site...

Anyway, as someone else stated before me, we have the choice to pay or not, most have their rules listed, and that is cool, as long as they abide by their own rules and don't try to send false e-mails or hit the credit card before it is due. And yes, as one other has posted, some sites do send e-mails from those who are not really members to intice you to sign up...that is dishonest...but, we must use common sense. (Hmmm, I was gonna use the "shit happens" icon, but I don't see it!)

~Pam~
 mometal77
Msg: 159
Match.com and others
Posted: 2/17/2007 11:32:02 PM
Ok cupid is a good site just i find not a lot regularly use it. Like a lot of sites its like moldy bread in the fridge. I like that site over they have a rat hanging over excess periods of months if someone doesnt use it. The problem is with free sites people only get on if they have an email.

Singlesnet i joined over the free money back and they give a guarantee. So I did that and all i got was married women on there or women claiming to live close and lived in other countries. When i called to get my money back they had a time limit on how many days after you had and what a scam. So dont waist your money. The best paysite out there is hot or not. Never spend more than a few bucks value your money and buy something useful.
rob
 rrrickkk
Msg: 164
Posted: 8/10/2007 2:03:46 PM
Many sites send out fake messages to get you to join. When I found that out I complained to the State's attorney and the FTC to get my money back. I contacted those who contacted me and some were fake profiles and the ones that were real said they did not send me a message. I'm in my 50's and I get suspicious when a 20's year old contacts me and says age does not matter. Beware everyone is usually out to get you.
Miklala
 Your Saucy
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2007 6:13:34 PM
Hi

I agreed with you and I stop post my profile on match and the sites that throw my money away just because the other contact member didn't pay their part.

Just stop posting there and see how they can come up to make the site works. It is rip off situation too.

They are not irresponsible, that is the way they make more money on hopeless people in dating

Thank you
 murphy591
Msg: 167
Posted: 8/11/2007 7:14:52 PM
you can sign up for a free 3 day trial period on match. just run through all the women and write down there handles. join with cc and just be sure to cancel via email on the 3rd day, make sure you look for the experation time on the 3rd day. Of course, don't please don't do a form letter to all the women, this is a real turn off. Need to really read their profile and respond to something they have written. FYI, Yahoo.personals, will also delete their personal email add, but for some reason in my profile I have asked for them to include their phone no. They do and yahoo doesn't find that and it goes through. Go figure. I have profiles on many sites and I have included my personal contact info and I didn't do via. dot com. I did it another way but these men that write to me don't seem to be able to understand how I wrote it so they continue to write thru match, yahoo, etc. and of course I'm not a paying member on these sites so I don't respond. There is another site Singlesnet.com which is pretty good. Someone pays the bill but the receiver of the email can respond at no cost
 abrethoffreshair
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Match.com and others
Posted: 8/12/2007 12:07:24 PM

Just wondering if there is a update to the lawsuits against
Yahoo and Match? In reference to page 1.

...I've been wondering when someone was going to bring up this
subject...seems there should be a law against it or something that
can be done about them screwing people over like this.

But in my opinion Match .com is a scam, for all the reasons
people have mentioned in this thread. I think that with FREE dating
sites like POF and My$pace, the days of paid online dating websites
are numbered.

You are SO RIGHT, my friend...could be the reason they are
having such difficulty, even as we discuss this now. They are obviously
on their way out the door. I have
discovered 97 FREE online dating sites so far & I have found
POF to be the BEST...I'm here to stay!
 murphy591
Msg: 169
Match.com and others
Posted: 8/12/2007 12:53:04 PM
To" abrethoffreshair: tried to email you to find out some of those 97 free sites, but since I'm a woman I can't get thru to you. Mind posting or emailing me some of those sites. Sure would appreciate it. I went to Connectingsingles but there were only 4 men in my age range. Slim pickens.
 abrethoffreshair
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Match.com and others
Posted: 8/14/2007 9:59:06 AM

To" abrethoffreshair: tried to email you to find out some of those 97 free sites, but since I'm a woman I can't get thru to you. Mind posting or emailing me some of those sites. Sure would appreciate it. I went to Connectingsingles but there were only 4 men in my age range. Slim pickens.

To "Murphy591"...I tried emailing you & I can't get thru to you either, your restrictions will not let me, lol. I've re-adjusted my restrictions & you can email me now.
 abrethoffreshair
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Match.com and others
Posted: 8/14/2007 11:15:34 AM
To: Murphy591

Click below & you can find the link in msg # 203...towards the bottom.
You may have to copy & paste the link into your web browser.

Have fun!

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/5502821datingPostpage9.aspx
 buzzhappyranger
Msg: 180
Posted: 8/14/2007 1:25:43 PM
they are a business. they are here to make money, that is all they care about.The goal is to get joe schmoe (or jane schmoe) to subscribe and give them their $$. everything else is just b/s. Btw,you should try myspace :)
 murphy591
Msg: 181
Match.com and others
Posted: 8/25/2007 7:29:03 AM
Hi Breathoffreshair
just noticed that you responded to my request for free sites. Just now 8-26- tried to email you but you have restrictions. I went to my mail settings and don't know why you couldn't email me cuz I'm open to all, not just male. Can't find #23, can you advise.
thanks
Murphy
 murphy591
Msg: 182
Match.com and others
Posted: 8/25/2007 7:31:48 AM
whoops, error not 23 but 203, 203 is someone reviewing profiles.
 murphy591
Msg: 183
Match.com and others
Posted: 9/2/2007 6:28:12 AM
Abreathof freshair.
Takes me awhile. Scrolled down to the bottom and found all the sites. Thanks again
Murph
 serendipity36
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Match.com and others
Posted: 10/7/2007 10:58:56 AM
could you please send me your list of free sites as well.

thanks,
bren (serendipity36 on pof)
 TrymeTony59
Msg: 190
Posted: 10/13/2007 8:20:59 AM
hi
a really great site is called singlesnet. you have to pay but if someone else is paying you can e-mail them for free. i have to say its right up there with plentyofish and you always get reponses
mike
 motownmaniax
Msg: 191
Posted: 10/13/2007 9:18:31 AM
Bottom line with all the pay sites like Match, Yahoo Personals, eHarmony, etc, is they're buyer beware. Stick with free sites like this "Great" One (how's that for a completely unsolicited shoutout. ).

Mo
 Who.Me
Msg: 192
Posted: 10/13/2007 9:20:14 AM
I have been a subscriber of Match and they do tell you upfront that your email address will be replaced to protect your privacy. There is a way around this tho...you can have the emails sent to your regular email address, and if you use the "reply" button on your email instead of Match.com reply's button, your email address will be sent in the body of the email. Confused yet???? I met a few nice people but I'm still single.

I've tried several of the other pay sites as well, but none are as good as POF....IMO

Happy fishing!!!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 194
Posted: 10/13/2007 9:41:28 AM
Funny such self-righteousness is coming from a guy taking advantage of a "free" site like this?

Mo
 Theodore88
Msg: 198
Match.com and others
Posted: 12/27/2007 7:20:59 PM
did you mean www.rsvp.com.au ? was a fav site of yours or another?

T
 naeco
Msg: 200
Posted: 12/27/2007 7:54:56 PM

one thing i will say is that they have a lot of members that have not been active for 3 months or more

There's a reason for that. They gave up, like a lot of people do. On POF, it doesn't cost anything to fish forever. On pay sites, it can add up to a whole lot of money.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 203
Posted: 12/28/2007 4:52:18 AM
I remember when practically all the dating sites -- LoveAOL, Yahoo Personals, American Singles, etc -- were free. Then some bright bean counters realized how much money could be made by charging people for the opportunity to interact with each other and off to the races they went. At first they didn't gouge and still offered a lot of free components, like non-paying members able to respond to paying ones, but over time they eliminated pretty much everything. I have a Match profile but not a paid member (which means you can do literally nothing), so it's hidden. Maybe I'm waiting for the day when it will go back to what it was, but I doubt that horse will ride again...lol.

Btw, notice my space and facebook are free, but with just a little tweaking they could be presented as dating sites, too....wonder when they'll go pay?

Just enjoy and appreciate sites like these because you'll miss them when they go away. And for those that bitch at POF because it didn't provide them with relationship happiness they think they deserve, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  >