Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 motownmaniax
Msg: 233
Match.com are irresponsiblePage 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

I think you still really missed my point, unless you live in a major metro area, your success on a smaller service (or even a larger one) is highly dependent on how many other people in your area use that service. You need to pick a service where there are actually a significant number of members in your area. That's the statistics I'd recommend looking into in choosing a service. If that site also turns out to be free, even better!

True, if your criteria for finding success is ruled strictly by how big a dating service is. If that's the overriding logic, everybody should join Match and get off every other sites, but that's not the reality. The reality is most people are on "multiple" sites to widen their search range as much as possible (reason being no one site has every potential available choice). If people can pay to be on a lot of sites, fine, it's their money. I just found most can't (hence all the creative ways to get around pay site rules put forth just in this thread alone).

I was on Match for awhile and found choices were many, but also found the women seemed to be the most high maintenance and elitist of all the sites I've been on. That's been MY personal experience, so I really don't care how many people married from there. That's "never" been my overriding criteria.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 235
Match.com and others
Posted: 12/30/2007 2:07:50 PM

I highly doubt my results will be any better ofer there than here- So why not save my cash for lunch with a cutie?

That's the spirit, backflip.
 Moongirl616
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Match.com just isn't worth your time!
Posted: 2/16/2008 2:27:58 PM
I joined Match.com a year ago and have been on it on and off for even longer. Everyone I have met there was just looking for some tail. If tail is your thing great, but that was not the original concept behind the site. It's turned into a meat market, so I terminated my membership. To answer your question, at the beginning of your profile, put something like. If you'd like to contact me, you can always reach me at ( ) at that America on the line site, since I'm not a member here. Usually that works.

This site has blown me away, I met someone great and right away. I would go back to craigslist which I also had some success on, before I would ever do match again
 lok
Msg: 247
Match.com are irresponsible
Posted: 2/29/2008 3:09:09 PM
There is a trick , that very few people know about ( unfortunately ) , have 2 email addresses , register with one , and use the other as your user name ( not with the @hotmail dot com prefix )

EG: email 1 mynamehere@hotmail
email 2 anamehere@hotmail

register mynamehere as your user name , but use the anamehere as your actual email address , this way you can contact other members without blowing your actual registered with them email address.

this saves the whole trying to hide your email address in your profile act. You can be caught out , as they have methods to find out ( usually a spam email sent out to the user name , and if you answer they know , so you have to answer VERY carefully , or use another alternate email addy , but dont answer to their question , stasrt with one of your own , like " i saw your profile on X site , and thought i would email you , my user name is XYZ .

It does take some tweaking , and , like i said not everyone does it ( for privacy issues - im sure people dont want more stalkers than they already have lol )

But its the free sites like this one that more people should know about. I dont see why it should cost you hard earned money to end up empty handed.
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 252
Match.com and others
Posted: 3/3/2008 4:55:28 AM
you forgot jdate they want both people to have paid user accounts and I think I may have 3 fake messages that I can;t read trying to get me to join. I am not paying $40-$60 a month when POF and some other sites are free. And if someone has a free acount they should be able to read teh e-m,ail sent by a paid user. And be able to get a reply.
 supersnuggle
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2008 4:53:25 AM

Personally, I like the sites that charge both parties. I think it shows that the other person is serious about being there and not just trolling for attention.

That is pure bull... I was on three paying sites for over a year, and have been on here three months. I have had a higher percentage of responses to my emails on here, and had several good dates from here. I have met the best prospect so far, right here. As long as POF is free, I will never pay again!
 spetty
Msg: 265
Posted: 3/20/2008 7:58:18 AM
Hey you have to remember these sites first priority and perhaps only one is to make money. They provide a service at a cost, that service is posting profiles not matchmaking. You are the matchmaker, you provide the info for your matches, if you don't like how a given company provides services - don't use it.
 spetty
Msg: 266
Posted: 3/20/2008 8:02:36 AM
I'm pretty sure the hiding is part of the paid service, once you are longer paying you loose that service and your profile can go back into the mix - if you longer want messages from that site - REMOVE not hide your profile.
 TallAndDark68123
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2008 8:26:17 AM
match.com is worthless!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 270
Match.com and others
Posted: 6/1/2008 7:04:21 PM
Believe me, free sites like POF are hands down better than any pay site. End of story.
 Rare_English_Beauty
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 10:30:03 AM
What a brilliant idea! A photograph wearing a t-shirt that says "Find me at www.pof.com! I'm wondering would it work though as they review your pics before approving them for display. But does a human really review them or some super clever software? Lol
 Rare_English_Beauty
Msg: 277
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 10:32:23 AM
Oops! Looks like the original post I got the idea from hasn't shown up so I can't give any credit to the person who had the idea. Oops #2 I've dragged up a really old thread. Oh well, hope it's still relevant and I may even get an answer to my question.

Happy Holidays!
 joghurta
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2011 11:13:32 PM
Beware of match.com, as it is almost impossible to cancel your subscription with them.
It takes an eternity of phone calls and e-mails to finally get out of there again - and they are overpriced, too.
 PinkZombies
Msg: 280
Posted: 5/29/2012 7:05:01 AM
A) Match.com allows so many scam emails I am convinced they have some kind of partnership with the scammers for profit. I would receive scam emails from multiple (3) fake profiles in a day, report them, yet Match apparently did nothing. This sort of activity made me feel very unsafe. In the end I trusted few of the profiles to be genuine.
B) Match.com auto-renewed me twice though I'm 100% certain I did not set my Match.com account to auto-renew. Finally I called my bank and had my bank account # changed. Then I sent a final "Neener-neener" email to Match. Likely no one never read it, but it kinda made me feel better.
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  >