Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Cigarette prices - F'ing NutsPage 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
The truth is sooner or later,..
one way or another we will all quitt,..

but when someone gets on my case about it I simply tell them that the thought of putting all those people who work in the tobbacco industry out of a job,..and being responsible for their children going hungry possibly homeless is too much of a burden for me,...
 RDtoo
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Cigarette prices - F'ing Nuts
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:22:30 PM
I have to quit. My wallet and health are being affected way too much. I am a 2 pack a day man. Merit Menthol Ultra Lights. They cost $57.00 a carton here in Michigan and often turn out to be stale. I watched my mother die of emphesma and lung cancer 4 years ago but it wasn't enough for me to quit. Last year they thought they had found a spot on my lung but a cat scan showed nothing. They didn't get me to quit either. All I know is I have to quit. I bought a book on Amazon called "the Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. He claims that if you read his book you will stop smoking. I read half of it before I got distracted and I don't think he is bluffing. His idea is that we are brainwashed into smoking and we don't need drugs or substitutes to stop, we just need to be unbrainwashed. I am going to try and read this book again.
 marita_b
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 6:53:49 AM
sweet chubby guy,....

As a guy who clearly has his own addiction to deal with,..it might be wise to refrain from throwing bowlders,...or at least have some idea of what your talking about in this particular case,...

I'm sure you don't much appreciate someone telling you to just eat less and you'll have that weight problem under controll in no time,...
 serendipitee
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:50:06 PM
I'm probably not supposed to do this, but there's a book that might be helpful to those trying to quit.

At first, I thought, oh great another dang book... but the guy is an ex-smoker (smoked for 33 years, 60-100 smokes a day. YIKES!!) and his info makes very good sense.

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr, $15 new at Barnes & Noble or Border's, probably available cheaper second hand on the 'net.

Good luck to all who wish to quit!

BTW, according to Carr, "nicotine is the fastest addictive drug known to mankind. It acts more rapidly than the dose of heroin the addict injects into his veins."

"Smoking is NOT a habit, it's DRUG ADDICTION!!! Nicotine is a drug, and your senses are drugged - your taste buds, your sense of smell. The worst aspect of smoking isn't the injury to your health or pocket, it is the warping of the mind! You search for any plausible excuse to go on smoking."
 marita_b
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2006 4:45:27 AM
"hey lady my smoking IS killing other people",...

must'a been a Freudian slip but you're right,...(sweet chubby)

None of us is an island,...as much as we like to think that what we do to hurt ourselves,..only hurts ourselves,....we of course KNOW different,...

Your eating habits are being watched by the younger members of your family,...much as drinking,...smoking,..gambling,...etc,..it does affect them as does their pre disposition via genes that come in the family does,...

and even coffee and tea have addictive qualities in them,...ever know an avid tea/coffee drinker NOT drink coffee/tea for a day or so,....they will usually end up with what's known as a rebound headache as a result of this defficite in their system,....
it's very well known and documented,....and now we are even imposing this same excess caffeen into our children's soft drinks at levels so high it ought to be criminal,...why????,...
because many of our children for some reason or other don't take to coffee/tea like our generation has,....so you gotta get 'em some how right?

and I too suffer from that,...by God!!! if your going to tell me to do something I'm diggin my heels in and NOT do it,....(counter productive,...true,... but,...)

There is a reason why they call them "sin taxes" and if we were to all of us quitt today,...
they would re-coupe the losses by spreading it out and increasing,...all the other sin taxes,...

If you can get hooked on it,...you can bet your last nickle,..the government is going to figure out how to tax the $hit out of it,....without taxing you off of it,....

Ever wonder why so many of our kids,...inspite of "their knowing BEFORE they start to smoke"
what adverse effect this might have to them and those arround them???? because I started smoking a long time ago,...long before it was known what this might do to the body,....

Believe it or not,..at one time cigarretts were actually advertised as,...

and I $hit you not,....as good for your throat,...

I aslo find it interesting to note,...that inspite of being "AGAINST THE LAW" FOR TOBBACCO COMPANIES TO ADVERTISE,...they get arround it so nicely with their reverse phsycology,...
you know the ones that warn you about the hazzards and tell you to contact them to help you quitt,...

Never!!!! in the history of consumable products,...has there ever been a company telling you to call them,...so THEY can help you NOT buy their product,....not EVER,...
(talk about your sneeky advertising campaign)

If they really wanted to help YOU,..NOT buy their product,....
wouldn't NOT producing it be a better way????
at least that way the end result would be guaranteed,....wouldn't it????

and this has been so effective that another sin provider,..the gambling industry has addopted this ploy,...there is a web site,...that is a .NET where you can learn how to play poker and other games,...and then they have the .COM site,...where you can actually gamble,....

Ever click onto the .NET site?,...the first thing that happens is a window for the gambling site pop's up,....cute eh?...and sneeky,....

I do however find it irritating,...when someone intentionally goes into the smoking room of a public place,..because it's an enclosed room now,...by law,...and then has the nerve to tell me not to smoke because my smoking is bothering them,....the designated area's,...when they exist at all,...are getting smaller every day,....so here's the thing,...if my smoking bother's you,...please get out of the smoking room,....there,...problem solved!!!

Life's a gamble,...some who never smoke get lung cancer and die,...(although in many cases it's no longer a given you will die) while others who smoke 122 years never have a problem,....go figure eh?
 marita_b
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2006 11:14:21 AM
Apparently service people like waiters,...entertainers,..etc,...don't have to be forced to work in a smoke filled enviroment(WC)our legislaters agreed with you,...

because in Canada allmost all of the enclosed smoking rooms,...are self service,...
in the rare cases where this isn't so,...(that I have personally seen)
the service providers have all been smokers too,....

and regarding legalizing pot,...would you believe that they actually,...for the most part,...
unless they smoke regular tobbacco too,...consider themselves to be non-smokers???,...

and if they do legalize it,....pot that is,..(to the general public)..you can bet your second last nickle the government is going to have it's hand out for another exorbidant tax they have to collect,....poor babies,...hey? you don't think it's going to replace the tax of the regular tobbacco products do you,...because it isn't just regular cigaretts that's the disbute,....even in the smoking sections many don't allow ciggar smoking,....and I don't know where the pipe smokers all hang their hats now but I haven't seen one of those in ages,...
 marita_b
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:52:40 AM
you may be a world citizen but clearly not a world traveler,...or at least not have Canada on your places of where you've been,...because had you spent more than 5 minutes here you would have come across about a dozzen or more Tim Horton's,...and you would also be aware there has not and is not now anyone who ever serves in Timmies,...

as for their smoking section,...when they had it,..it was a self enclosed room with a door,...all of it's own,...so yes perhaps a bit of smoke might escape,..entering and exiting the area some of which actually had it's own exit to the outside,....

All other places are completely non-smoking,...as are all Timmies now,..and the only places that do have smoking sections,...are a few restaurants (not many) and bars,....and the bars all now also have self enclosed smoking sections,...with their own walls and a door,...sometimes even 2 doors,...what more do you all want,..we have been pushed aside and kicked by anyone and everyone who thinks they are better because all they do is eat themselves to death,...or kill themselves with drugs,..or just pure lazyness,...

we all have our vices and we smokers have been considerate as can be making compromize after compromize to where we no longer die of cancer because many of us die of frost bite or exposure while we are huddled far enough away from the front door of many buildings as not to appear insulting,....

AND THAT'S QUITE ENOUGH NOW!!!!!

SO ALL OF YOU WHO FEEL SELF RICHIOUS AND INDIGNANT,....take a good look at your own vices before you spend too much of your valuable time tearing appart somone elses,....

I know it's easier to find somone elses faults but fixing your own if you have the desire to fix things seems to be the better way to improve the world,....

heaven's cherub,...I agree with you it is assinign,..for pot smokers to consider themselves non-smokers,....I was just pointing out the insanity that some,...do,...

whatever the substance is that you are in fact smoking,..in my mind makes you a smoker,...
 marita_b
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2006 7:19:51 AM
it's not a smoker's choice to be outside,...belfast,...it's our only choice left to us,...

If we work 8-12 hrs a day and are not allowed to leave our place of work then catching a smoke for the lunch hour is that really asking too much?,...
we still allow people to eat on the job,...and even overeat if that is our vice,....

as for the Timmies folks bringing stuff to your table,..you are right in some cases but since they no longer have smoking rooms it's a mute point,...but when they did,...those of us who were sitting there had to come back to the counter to pick up an order they had to first prepare,...just FYI,...
 fra59e
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/18/2006 7:44:56 AM
Big Mack says:

"Should there be extra tax on cheeseburgers because they are grossly unhealthy? If cigs are so bad, why not ban them?"

... but there's a major difference between the unhealthy effects of cheeseburgers and the unhealthy effects of tobacco. Cheeseburger eaters affect only themselves. Cigarette smokers affect not only themselves but others too - usually without their consent.

There's no such thing as secondhand cholesterol. With tobacco smoke, however, for every eight persons who kill themselves with their smoke there's estimated to be one innocent person who dies without doing anything to deserve it just because they inhaled the toxic wastes from the smokers. This is wrong. Nobody should be permitted to poison another person against their will.

A high tax on cigarettes is a fair way to deal with this plague. Those who impose serious costs on others should bear the cost themselves so far as possible. Further, a heavy tax is a fresh incentive to quit the habit. Perhaps for this reason, California's tobacco tax has been favored not only by nonsmokers but by many smokers too. Polls show that most smokers want to quit.

As with any unhealthy addiction, the point is not to judge people but to help them clean up their lives when they have the desire to get free.
 marita_b
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2006 3:24:59 PM
I don't know where or who you work for,...Tigerwoods (you really do look like him too)
but there is no place that allows a smoker anything extra,...least of all an hourly smoke break,....

acording to the laws of our land when it comes to employers and what they are required to do by law for us it's as follows,...

anyone working more than 4 hrs is required to get a 15,..minute break,...anyone working for 8 hours is required by law to get 2 X15 minute(one the first 4 hrs,...another the last 4 hrs) breaks and a 1/2 hr lunch break,...the lunch period is supposed to be a paid break as are the 15 minute ones but often aren't,...the time is deducted off their pay,....

this is according to the labour laws of our country,...one which very few workers know,..and very few employers adherre to completely,...there are some jobs where this is not always reasonably possible,...but even where it is it is often ignored as the employees don'[t make waves,...

In this country there are far more people looking (and greatfull to have found) a job than there are workers something many employers exploit and repeatedly hold over their employees like a big stick,...

the,..."If you don't like it here and our rules there are fifty people ready and willing to take your job tomorrow" so many suck it up and don't rock the boat,....

I have been a boat rocker for years,..I have been a worker,..both unionized and not,..and I have been an employer,...I was one of the good ones who did adheere to the letter and even the spirit of the laws,....

Long ago when I began working for a living,..we all smoked at the job site,...everyone did in fact the ones who didn't were the odd ones out,...now there is no smoking anywhere,...fine,..but in some cases they even tell you you can't smoke while sitting in your own car outside the job site,...that's overreaching,..and rediculous,...

the next step is telling me I can't smoke in my own home,...try it,....I say,....just try it?

since 911 we have watched liberties slip away one by one whith people stupidly handing them back to the powers to be greatfull for their illusion of security,....but the more of your freedoms you give the more they want,..until you wake up and wonder how on earth did you ever get to the point where 1984 is reality,....

they said it could nevber happen because we know too much and we won't allow it,....
we not only allow it,...seems to me we embrace it,....

and my smoking is my line in the sand,...It is NOT against the law,....
I am breaking no law in purchasing my tobbacco,...and I do NOT succumb to bullying,....

and here's the thing at my age,...the idea of living forever is not nearly the draw it once had,...everybody dies of something,....I have very few things I enjoy doing,...(that I can still afford to do,...or am physically able to do),....
I enjoy smoking,...so I choose to,...period,...

and when the price goes up my compromize is to buy the actuall leaves,...cut it all up and make my own,...(without all those addative I might add,...because the pre-made cigarretts all have addatives,...extra niccotine and things to keep a cigarrett lit,..because unlike someone who believed the new cigaretts have addedd things to make a cigarett go out (a previous post) if unattended,...the truth is no they didn't,..they just left something they usually add,...out,..because to leave it out,..saves them more money and that's after all the main thing for all tobbacco companies,..the bottom line,....

well by my cutting my own leaves,...and rolling my own,...I pay about 50 cents per pack,...about as much as I did,..when I first started to smoke,...
 marita_b
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2006 6:57:53 AM
I'm not clear what exactly you are asking me but,...

since I have smoked both american cigaretts,..which I like but have a clear different smell when being smoked,...and canadian cigaretts which don't but both stay lit when you put them in an ashtray veses the ones that you roll which are from bags of precutt tobbacco,...which go out if left unattended,...except when so loosley rolled that it collapses in on itself when being smoked....verses the full uncutt leaves,...which I buy in a big bag of 200 grms for about 16 dollars,...which I take (I kid you not) and cut with a pair of scissors and then a food processor to a fine enough grain to be rolled and goes out if left in an ashtray,...it's the best thing about rolling your own besides the price,...

my cigaretts no longer smoke themselves while resting in my ashtray,...

I have no chemical degree,...done no actual research,...but I do know that all pre made cigaretts have additives,...many of which have extra nicotine and God only knows what else besides preservatives,....some you might think add things to reduce these rather than add them,...could be but I don't know for sure,...I just know the difference when I smoke them,...

I don't know if that answers what you are asking but,...that's all I pretty much can say for sure,....except that bootlegging of cigaretts is a pretty big business and growing,..the same people who deal in pot also many of them I understand deal in them and at 40 or 45 dollars per 200 cigaretts they are making a killing that even if pot is legalized this buisiness will keep them going,....and the higher the government makes the price the more of these dealers will pop up,...

as in any prohibition,...the local population of average working person CAN only legally pay so much,...untill they think as long as the government is trying to rob us then may as well give it to someone who's up front about it and gives me a price I can actually afford,...I have seen raids of big trucks full of these pre mades,...and there will be more in the future,...but for each one they catch,...there are of course many more they don't,...

Mark my words,...and some people who are normal law abiding people,...might actually consider this as an option,....just like they did in the prohibition years in the States,....
 marita_b
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:53 AM
I wasn't telling anything about your information or the validity thereof little lady,..
merely what I found over the years for myself,...from first hand experience,...

so if you have information I am not privy to,..good for you and if you know what the chemical is specifically that has been added ,...I would be interested in knowing just what that chemical is,....

I find your information big on insistance and lacking in speciffic information,..but,..that's just me,...I speak for no one else,...just me,..

so just what chemical is addedd that you are aware of??????

if your going to offer information,..rather than merely personal opinion,..such as mine,...then offer it,...please,..I'm interested,...amd who uses this chemical and who doesn't,..and to what levels,...
 marita_b
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2006 9:49:41 AM
you think so do you wespauley???

well if that were true the cookie industry would be non existent and the fast food industrie would be out of business,....

besides not all of us are so inspired by models the size of pencills to follow suite,...

as for your telling me to do my own research,..you betcha I can and google very well in fact but,...you did make the claim,...without the verification,..on more than one occasion,...

I merely stated my opinion,...no need to google that one,..just yet,....

as for facts,..well they can be slanted in many different ways depending on who's doing the slanting now can't they?,....

but,..i will check it out when I have the time,..but since I personally no longer purchase the pre-mades,..there is no real urgency for me,...thanks for the info though
 marita_b
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2006 2:04:30 PM
thanks for that input,... but as it happens I know everybody I am related to,..some are in fact famous enough to have many sites designated to then,...one even has his own oscar,...got acting,...

I was merely saying that my opinion is not yet worthy enough for anyone to care about and log onto their sites,...perhaps someday,.,....but not today,....
 marita_b
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 4:13:42 AM
wanna bet????? (WC)

yna,...too funny,..and growing your own is legal?????
when our family first came to canada his first job was picking tobbacco,...I hear it's a lot harder to grow than one might think but deffinately worth considering,....LOL

as for,...me thinks,...well,...me thinks you should stick to commenting on something you might actually have some idea about,...if in fact you are a non smoker as you claim in your profile then you have no clue what it might be to quit,....

It really steams me when non smokers make these uninformed statements,....that simply not smoking is all that's required,...the physicall addiction to tobbacco is even more difficult to purge from than haroin,....

and although they like for pregnant women reduce as much as possible it is suggested women who smoke NOT quitt,...because the physical withdrawals are far more dammaging to the baby than the smoking is,....and in fact there is a serious risk of loosing a baby by radically stopping if you have been a regular smoker,....

fra59e
Msg: 126
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:04:58 AM
Worldcitizen sez:
"I don't think smoking should be allowed in public places: period. It's a health risk to everyone."

Well, the City of Calabasas, California, has just banned smoking anywhere, including out of doors, in situations where nonsmokers are present.

After all, if you want to drink a beer you have to go indoors to a bar or your own home. So likewise if you want to smoke a cigarette, you should go to some kind of private smokers' club or take it home. It is tacky for smokers to force their smoke on others who don't want it.
 fra59e
Msg: 127
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:20:48 AM
BigMack sez:
"Should there be extra tax on cheeseburgers because they are grossly unhealthy? If cigs are so bad, why not ban them?"
but wait ...
did you ever hear of secondhand cholesterol? No? Of course not. The Big Mac eater doesn't cause heart attacks to OTHER people, only to himself.
Smokers who smoke around others are injuring people who don't want to be involved in the smoker's suicidal behavior.
Hey smokers, do what you like with YOUR OWN life but don't take me down with you.
And BTW please pay for your own medical costs in full, and pay the restaurants for the extra cost of providing you with ashtrays, and paying somebody to clean the disgusting things. Pay your landlord extra on top of your rent for the cost of cleaning up the filthy brown layer your smoke leaves on the walls and draperies. Hey, here's an idea - just quit the dirty habit now. If you can't, then please take your cigarettes somewhere away from the rest of us. FAR away. Thanks.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 129
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:33:16 AM
And furthermore...I would never date a smoker. I laugh at all the pics of women with cigs in their mouths in profile pics. Is there one woman out there who thinks men think that is a sexy look, lmao. I see a pretty woman and as soon as she lights up, she looks like trash to me. And yes all that smoke kills everyone. And we get to foot the bill for all those smokers. Tax the shit out of the losers.

And before the losers tell me I do not know what it is to quit. I did 24 years ago, but I am not weak like them. I saw my dad die of lung cancer and that was enough. You mean you people like not tasting ffod the way it is supposed to taste and being out of shape so you can't even take the stairs two at a time anymore, spending spare money just to smoke, and all those people who won't even IM you because you pollute your self and everyone else with that crap! LMAO
 marita_b
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:52:35 AM
Gee,...don't be shy azblueskies,.....

but then again,..perhaps not all smokers would fall down at your feet to date you either,...

You may think you are God's gift what with the tennis instructing,...healthy life style you lead,...I realize watching your father die,..left scars on you but there is no need to pass that onto others,....unless of course that's your nature in which case,...

Carry on,....

BTW,...non smokers don't make it out alive either,...eventually ,...all of you die too,..even you healthy ones,....so who do you blame then???

and WC,...I didn't say I got the Oscar,...he did,..so therefore it doesn't reflect on ME,..one way or the other,...it's simply a fact,....

Both mine,..and my ex husband's lineage,....is very small,....
let's just say that in both cases we have more shrubs than family trees,....

and Blondie,...are you sure those aren't bootleg cigs?????
we do have them here too,..but as with everything else in the maritimes,..it's 3X as expensive,........ even for the bootleg kind,....
 marita_b
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:06:42 AM
this may come as a shock to you my dear (WC) but there have even been families that have died out completely,...I am not saying I can't trace my way back,..through history and that mine is an old lineage,..but,..it is a very small one,....going into the future,..and so far my 3 boys the eldest of which is turning 36 soon,...there are no pending Grandbabies,..so,..one never knows where our line will end,....

and this much I know,...no matter how hard I try I can not get the degree that links me with Kevin Baccon,...not even with the actor dude,...who's dead,...has one son,...also dead,..no grandkids for him either,....

There is only one female cousin that my son's have and she's young enough that there might be hope,..but not if she takes on her future husband's name,....

Oh and smoking can not be blamed for the end of our line,...sorry,...
 marita_b
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:28:17 AM
haven't read much of this thread have you paddler,..becaus if you had you would know there is in fact a third option,....
 azblueskies57
Msg: 137
Posted: 1/24/2006 11:12:38 AM
Marita, what is your problem? are you 12?

You may think you are God's gift what with the tennis instructing,...healthy life style you lead,...I realize watching your father die,..left scars on you but there is no need to pass that onto others,....unless of course that's your nature in which case,...

I don't need smokers in my life, so could care less if they see this anyway. But why did you call a person names who never even knew you existed. Grow up. Oh, and no scars here. Remember, I am the one who quit. I am not a loser, smokers are, lol
 azblueskies57
Msg: 138
Posted: 1/24/2006 11:15:10 AM
Marita, what is your problem? are you 12?

I don't need smokers in my life, so could care less if they see this anyway. But why did you call a person names who never even knew you existed. Grow up. Oh, and no scars here. Remember, I am the one who quit. I am not a loser, smokers are, lol
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >