Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 andy_subra
Msg: 11
Jewelry as proof of ownershipPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Know somethin.. "GIRLS ARE LIKE ELEPHANTS, WATCH THEM, NEVER OWN ONE"
 YamIhere
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Jewelry as proof of ownership
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:03:05 AM

*Sigh* YamI, ever the optimist aren't ya?@"when she leaves"

I'm just a barer of reality
 cuter_than_anyone
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:09:38 AM
i need bling..............
 andy_subra
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:09:56 AM
For the divorsed, it's OK, but for the single ones out there, virginity is not a dignity, it's just lack of opportunity. ha..ha..ha
 YamIhere
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:15:54 AM

Not every woman leaves YamI, c'mon now... perhaps your reality, that I understand.

True, it's only a little more than half. It would probably make me feel better if they got at least 3/4 of market value
 sammysalt1
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:28:20 AM
If you stand by not getting your girl a ring, and she wants one. Then that its self says what she wanted didn't matter to you. You didn't care enough to take her feeling in to light. Just yours. She would be the one wearing it. This might say your ashamed of her, and don't want others to know you are toghter. When freinds find out she has someone, are got married, they say let me see the ring. So she is stuck explaining his side of why she has no ring. The freinds are like oh. I see. And they are thinking, that marrage wont last. He didn't even care to get her a ring.

The reason you give a ring thought. Is because she is going to have that ring for as long as you are going to be toghter, you want her to love wearing it. Yea, at first she loves it because it came from you. But you want her to wear it even on days she is pissed off at you. You don't want her looking at it, and thinking, yea he really cared he got me a ring he knew I didn't like. A girl sometimes just don't understand why guys do this.

Most girls when shopping love to go to the ring area, and look at diffent rings. It don't matter what you went in there for. So a man should have a clue if he really knows her. Then surprise her with one she liked later when she don't see it comming. Thats what a perfect in love man does. Most don't do it. They just pick out one of any size and ask the lady at the counter what one would she like, are think he should get. That is odd, because thats not who he is going to marry, and has to wear it for life.
 YamIhere
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:39:13 AM

When freinds find out she has someone, are got married, they say let me see the ring. So she is stuck explaining his side of why she has no ring. The freinds are like oh. I see. And they are thinking, that marrage wont last. He didn't even care to get her a ring.

Very good illustration here. Men buy it connote ownership, women want it to show off to their GFs. It's a ridiculous ritual and a total waste of money. Any man who buys one may as well have set fire to the money used to purchase the ring because it would do just as much good.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:48:02 AM
Yea, we have the same look on men sports stuff. Are hunting stuff. I hunt but I don't need the best stuff like he does, and he sure shows that stuff off, and its for hunting, are sport. Not something impertant like being married.
 YamIhere
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:32:56 PM
Whether justified by marriage or not, it's still a blatant display of materialism.

So, ladies, if you really loved a man and he thought an engagement ring was stupid, would you not marry him?
 YamIhere
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:54:46 PM
Bugsy,
I’m going to start a new tradition. If I ever ask another woman to marry me, I am going to put a bullet in my brain. If I live, I’ll go through with it.
 YamIhere
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:57:35 PM
Don't all marriages make you brain dead?
 YamIhere
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:00:03 PM
Yeah, AI, I have figured out the only thing that would drive me to marriage again - full frontal lobotomy
 YamIhere
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2006 5:53:45 PM

edit: @Yam...the lobotomy is for you or for her? Both maybe?

Well for me, of course. She can one too, if she'd like. We could probably get some kind of group discount.

I notice not a lot of women have answered my question
 Yobreval
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/6/2006 7:19:14 PM
I've never worn jewelry. Can't stand it. I don't even wear a watch.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:00:10 PM
Your question was would a girl marry a man that wouldn't buy her a ring to show the whole world that he loved her. That would be his reason not to get her one. Turn it around on her, and see if she loved him enough to do it.

I would say, that their would be two people starting off on the wrong foot, they can't even be on the same page. One has to give in to the other, and bow down.
Hell of a way to start your life toghter. No I would not start off on the wrong foot like that.

I don't wear my rings, but I keep them always. If he ever passes on before me. I will still have them always. Even if I remarry. I would keep them, because that is part of our life toghter. Its not about the cost. Its about what went into it, and happened the whole time we were toghter.

Even after a devorice, most keep their rings. It reminds them of a time, good are bad. Something learned in life maybe. They have meaning over all the other rings I own.

I would never marry a man on the wrong page as me, because it wouldn't work out. I don't like to stress over who proves who loves who more. You do are you don't that simple.

Let me ask you one. If she said no. Would you give in, are part ways. I bet you would part ways. Use that as your way out of it. LOL
 Melissanicole
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:40:13 PM
people only stay if they choose to do so, if they are happy and loved.

VERY well said.

I dont need a ring, but I would like one. I dont care the size, or price.... heck- get me a CZ and Id be fine. It is a symbol to others that you are happy, committed, and in love. I am not owned because of wearing a ring, I am part of a partnership when I wear a ring.

PS- I HATE jewelry... dont wear any, ever. The only thing I can wear would be rings (I fidget with them, so I usually realize if theyre missing). Id prefer to have that one ring and thats it.
 get_over_it
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:14:26 AM
ownership

you mean a ring is like wearing a dog tag? Can I have my ring inscribed in case I get lost? LOL
 Frrosty
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/9/2006 10:29:42 PM
A ring is a symbol. Symbols are words in language. They express meaning, reminding us of what they stand for. In this way their presence keeps us having certain thoughts, reinforcing some part of our lives. Advertising works the same way. It's not necessary but it does have an effect and lots of people enjoy it. It feels good, evoking love for the person with whom you are united.

Thank you.

I see this as just another way to say "I Love You".

However in case I'm wrong here, I still feel that most people realize that wedding rings are a symbol of two people in agreement of unity and as a sign to the outside world that they have given themselves to someone else and NOT that they OWN someone else

Agreed.

Perspective.......is everything.
 Frrosty
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/9/2006 11:58:33 PM
I would like to make a very strong point here rom Flapjack Flippers post (who I very much agree with here)

1)
people enjoy it

2)
It feels good

Once these stop happening; maybe it is time for a change in ways to celebrate and show appreciation. Until then; I think this sounds like a good pattern and program.

evoking love for the person

The purpose.

I think this may be called...well..."making love"

um...no?
 Frrosty
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/11/2006 9:18:17 PM
woul somebody please just give me something honest

wow.

The diamonds I buy will be most honestly purchased and given...

for sure,

Frrosty
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/12/2006 8:04:47 PM

You're such a lovely person Ms.

to ward off others

certainly does not hurt though; if it is correct...

I think.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2006 8:07:25 PM
I would buy the right woman nice silver & turqoise down in Taos or Santa Fe. You all know I hate diamonds. "I like the way sparkling earings lay against your skin so brown..." Just stay out of my tackle box.

Would I wear a wedding band? If I were that fortunate I would perhpas in a social situation or something. Not working with my hands though. I loose s*h*i*t too. Couldn't you just put a bar code on my heel or something?
 Trishnaa
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/26/2006 10:50:28 PM
"Curious topic here. Is an engagement ring/wedding ring necessary to a continued relationship. What quality does it add according to you. What of those who don't care for jewelry or being branded for that matter?"

I don't believe in jewelry being a proof of ownership.I think only love can make you someone else's not some metal piece no matter how costly. Therefore, no, I don't think it's necessary.A ring is just a ring.No matter how less or how much money you spend on it, it won't have any value if it's not given out of love.What can I say I'm a total believer in what Jim and Della did for each other in the Gift of the Magi.That story always brings out the romantic side in me?Weird...okay I'm back to my unromantic normal self now.

~*Flavia*~
 Double Cabin
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2006 3:26:08 PM
To but consider the possibility of ownership eliminates the possibility of truly reciprocative devotion.
 IdoAllmyOwnStunts
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2006 5:32:22 AM
nothing says i love you more than matching genital rings
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >