Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > 20 meanest cities towards the homeless      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cuter_than_anyone
Msg: 8
20 meanest cities towards the homelessPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

I see where you are coming from now. You had a bad experience with a homeless person and now you think they are all that way. I believe that's called prejudice.

not just a bad. many bad. like i've already said, it's sad very very sad. i wish they would all take the help that larry rice and many others offer as opposed to menacing people waiting for the bus.

call it experience, call it wanting to keep myself safe, call it keeping it real or call it whatever you want. the fact is they pose a threat to the community.
 toonsmith
Msg: 9
view profile
History
20 meanest cities towards the homeless
Posted: 1/13/2006 11:43:13 AM
....slash Medicaid funding by $4.8 billion and trim Supplemental Security Income assistance by more than $700 million over the next five years.

If this happens, it aint gonna be just the mentally ill and the drug addicts bothering people for spare change. It's gonna be veterans, disabled, and single mothers with mental health issues.

Supplemental Security Income is not welfare. It's a whole different ballgame. You have to have a disability and there is a long process to get on it. If this is cut as proposed, we are talking "Grapes of Wrath" scenario.

You would not have a lot of these problems with aggressive pan handlers if the Government hadn't have kicked them all loose from the mental health hospitals years ago. In the old days, it used to be tough to get OUT of a mental institution, now it's tough to get INTO one.

You don't want them at your bus stops bothering you? Call your Senator or Rep and complain. We need more beds in mental health hospitals. Otherwise, we send them to jail at triple the cost. That COSTS you the taxpayer even more of your hard earned dough.

Nobody deserves free housing and food? Yeah, tell that to the disabled, the elderly who paid taxes all their lives, the vets who served their country and the children. I'll bet your answer is what the Germans did. The final solution.

Toon
 cuter_than_anyone
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:29:22 PM

"menacing people waiting for the bus" is against the law in most cities. And applies whether one is homeless or not. I don't think your problem is homeless people as much as it is your law enforcement isn't doing anything. If someone comes up and asks for a dime, that's not menacing in my book. Just say no and go away. If they don't, then its menacing.

it's probably against the law in all cities. it's very easy to say no to someone when they ask for money. at least it is for me, when i say menacing i mean menacing. many many many of them are deranged. if it's not the drugs and alcohol it's their horrible existence that does it to them.

i have NO issue with law enforcement. they can't be everywhere at once, that's unrealistic. my city is on the list of the 20 meanest so they must be at least trying.

when someone breaks into my car it costs me $100 for the deductible. if they steal a cd or something not mounted to the car i'm SOL. where's the gov't funds to pay me back? i have no sympathy for a thief and none of them deserve anything until they've paid restitution to their victims. or like byrd has, to the community. he should be commended

there may be nothing to do but pray for them and most good people do. we need to look at the root of the problem and invest in our public schools.
 toonsmith
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2006 1:03:26 PM
I totally agree that it is worth it.

By the grace of God, any one of us can be put into terrible circumstances. We constantly hear of the negative and the sad tragic stories, but there are success stories as well. People recovering, getting their GED, DVR helping people go back to school, and people getting the services they need.

It's a crap shoot, but sometimes you do have people that reconstruct their lives and rejoin society.

I strongly urge anyone to take ten minutes and call their Senators and speak up. Those offices tally how many people call and it shows the politicians what the people are interested in. It does count.

I've heard terrible stories that even the Churches in Washington are evicting tent cities.

Toon
 cuter_than_anyone
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/13/2006 1:08:41 PM

I've heard terrible stories that even the Churches in Washington are evicting tent cities.

that is terrible

this reminds me of that tv show random 1. it's hard to watch cause the cast (for lack of a better word) sucks and are mostly idiots but it does show what people who are in tragic situations can do with a little nudge in the right direction
 WESTCOASTBABE
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/14/2006 12:48:15 AM
Mental Health Awareness >>>>>>> some of these people are there because they do not fit into the main stream of society as we see it.the majority come from low income homes , drug and alcohol abuse, home violence ect.... We then rescue them and take them out of a enviroment that they are comfortable with and familiar with The streets are there home. Is it fair to them ? We have the choice to live where we wish to or where we can afford to The street people are not out there alone they are watched and counted and talked to and if they so wish to come off the streets and mainstream themselves into society again the resources are there for them to tap into and the help is there for them also Keeping in mind that we are a small Canadian city Now i could not begin to imagine what a large city holding millions of people has to offer the people who are mentally ill or just plain down on there luck I would think the same resources as my community. But is there room for these people. ? Is it possible to take the dirty pan handler who does what he or she does and place them in a high rise apt and expect them to go to work in there accounting job and pay there bills ? It would be like putting one of us... in there shoes we would not survive... and neither would they. You take ice out and it melts... you put water in a freezer and it freezes...
 toonsmith
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:54:11 AM
I was shocked to see the town I grew up in, on the list. Anchorage, Alaska. Where the heck does one go when the temperatures are sub-zero?

The waiting lists for HUD Section 8 take YEARS. With the trillion spent for a war in another country, that is unacceptable. Proposed cutbacks in social security and medical coverage for the poor, unacceptable.

I can't wait till we make Bush homeless from The White House in three years.

Excellent posts Panda, :)

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2006 1:53:25 PM
Dallas, can you elaborate on your statement "providing homes for the homeless would be disasterous?"

Habitat for low income is working quite well. I think it is a mistake to paint one picture of the homeless and say it would be dangerous to provide a roof over their head. The homeless DO come in all shades and colors. When Jim Carrey was young, he and his family were reduced to living in a van at one time.

What troubles me is an underlying unspoken statement that the homeless need to vanish. If you don't want to provide shelter for the homeless, do you want them dead?

Yes, it is part of the Republician philosphy to be independent and not rely on handouts. The trouble is, there is a lack of compassion or understanding for those in need. I hate the "I've got mine, you get yours" attitude that I see.

People can go on and on about terrible experiences with the homeless. I have a few myself. Those are the people that need to be hospitalized for their own good as well as the community.

BUT, there are intelligent people, some without family support, some disabled, that FALL thru the cracks of society. They get yelled at to "GET A JOB" yet they don't even have the basics like a phone or a roof over their head. I am talking about decent people overwhelmed by personal tragedy.

They deserve a roof over their head, or do you want them to vanish as well? That is the trouble I have with my fellow Republicians. Yes, I am a Republician. But I do not support Bush and I am upset that we pay lip service to the platform. We need to take care of our own in AMERICA.

Send the troops out to the Tent Cities and see that they have the basics. Send out volunteers from the local Chamber of Commerce and see what kind of job training would be available.

Convert closed facilities for temporary shelters and integrate those who are willing, back into society. Use what we have, instead of complaining and wishing they would go away.

Isn't that the christian thing to do?

Or is that lip service as well?

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2006 2:20:42 PM
Agreed.

But we do need more funding for temporary shelters. Some are so terrible that even the homeless do not feel safe in them.

We do need to invest money in retraining.

But there lies the rub. The politicians want to cut back monies for these services. The war is a trillion dollars and is a bottomless pit. The poor and the jobless are always the first programs that get cut.

Bottom line, we need more.

But glad to see you participate in the Section 8 program Dallas. Way to go.

Toon
 lexus430
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/14/2006 2:44:30 PM
i live in vancouver the alley crawling shopping cart capital of the world, 90% of these people came from somewhere else just to be bums in vancouver cause it`s warmer here in the winter, there all either heroin addicts, speed freaks, crack heads, alchoholics or just mental cases, they don`t want help they want handouts and could care less about themselves or anyone or thing around them, they aggressivly panhandle you and get pissed off when you ignore them, i know it`s a different story in other cities why they are homeless poverty, job loss , cutbacks etc. but here they are just like vermin, pissing and shooting up right on the steet 24 hours a day, it`s totaly unacceptable in todays society, and i know most of you are glad it`s here and not your city!!!!!
 dceeeee
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:05:48 PM
I can't believe San Diego didn't get a mention as one of the meanest cities...when I read this in the news, I thought, "How cold hearted....another reason I want to get out of San Diego"...
City Tells Woman To Stop Feeding The Homeless
Philanthropist: 'It Breaks My Heart'
POSTED: 1:48 pm PST November 6, 2005
UPDATED: 2:07 pm PST November 6, 2005
SAN DIEGO -- A woman who has been feeding the needy and homeless for 30 years from her backyard in Imperial Beach is being ordered by the city to stop.

Sister Myrtis Stamps is getting ready to say goodbye to her homeless and needy guests, some of whom she has been feeding for more than 20 years.

"It breaks my heart because I know many of those people have only what we give." Stamps said.
The food is donated from local supermarkets and anyone else who wants to help.
Stamps started serving food in 1972, but because so many people came, the city asked her to move to the backyard, NBC 7/39's Emily Chang reported.

Two weeks ago, the city served Stamps a cease-and-desist order, saying she lacked a valid public health permit, caused littering in Veteran's Park and must operate only on commercial property.

"I'm really hoping somehow someone maybe has a building they can donate us because that's the only way I can have it," Stamps said.

Stamps said a city manager told her she could keep serving food through Dec. 31.
 toonsmith
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:22:10 PM
I haven't heard of the ACLU advocating to let mental patients out. But I remember Jimmy Carter in 1977 pretty much doing it.

Welfare and Social Security are two separate things though. It is difficult to get on Social Security with a disability claim. I know one woman who has been waiting ten years. (They once lost her case file!) Let's not confuse the ones who use and abuse the system and the ones most (grossly) visible that offend, with the ones that need help.

Let's not wage a hatred campaign against a painted stereotype of the "homeless" is all I am saying. I can cite case after case (but that would take bandwith) I am just saying that bad things happen to good people, and most of us are just a few paychecks from sitting on a steel grate heater ourselves.

The well-dressed guy at the supermarket could be someone with a mental disorder, or recuperating from cancer. Yes, there are con artists that hang out on corners, sometimes racking in BIG bucks and taking off in a nice car....heck, I question where I volunteer at a food bank, when I see someone get free food and haul it off in an expensive car.

My hat is off to you Pete, for working hard and supporting your kids. Heh, as a father, I know the feeling of having just a few bucks after all the bills. But the smile on my kids face is worth it.

Toon
 dceeeee
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/14/2006 9:45:24 PM
qbnpete, All I know is what I read in the article....it looks to me like NBC 7/39's Emily Chang may have the info you need...or be able to get it for you. The article is rather old, though. It says that she would've been forced to stop on Dec 31, (that's of 2005), and I haven't heard anything since. You also could try the health dept since it does say she lacked a valid public health permit. Good luck, but I'd be real surprised if you can change anything...I don't think CA has the brightest, most compassionate people running the place. I've never seen a state with so many idiotic things going on that don't make sense, as I have here. It's one of the main reasons I figured it was time to get out.....
 toonsmith
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:08:41 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10834294/

Two teens arrested in homeless beatings

NBC reported that the Salvation Army was opening an emergency shelters for the homeless in Fort Lauderdale, something the group usually does only on extremely cold nights.

Four teenagers pleaded guilty last month to fatally beating a 53-year-old homeless man in Daytona Beach in May. They await sentencing next month. A fifth teen still faces an aggravated battery charge and is free on bail.

What made Friday's crime unusual, advocates for the homeless said, wasn't that it was committed, but that it was captured on videotape.

'Tip of the iceberg'
The nonprofit National Coalition for the Homeless says that there were more than 398 acts of violence against homeless people in the last six years, of which about 156 resulted in death. These statistics do not include reports of sexual assault against homeless women.

"We think it's the tip of the iceberg," said Michael O'Neill, coordinator of the coalition's Homeless Speakers Series, designed to educate people on the causes of homelessness.

In a report on hate crimes against the homeless published in mid-2005, the organization said it believes many cases go unreported or unpublicized because many homeless people are mentally ill or addicts, fear retaliation or are frustrated with the police. As a result, the report says, it is difficult to assess the true magnitude of the problem.

O'Neill told MSNBC.com there was an escalation in violence against homeless people after two young men produced a series of movies, starting with "Bum Fights" in 2001 in which they filmed homeless people they had persuaded to do humiliating and dangerous things in exchange for drugs, small change or food. The video producers at first faced seven felony counts and four misdemeanor charges in connection with production of the videos, but ultimately were sentenced to 250 hours of community service.

"There's been a lot of copycat crimes," O'Neill said.

In an interview with the Sun-Sentinel, a Fort Lauderdale advocate for the homeless said beating homeless people is quite common in the area.

"It's one of the shameful secrets we have, the beating of homeless for sport," said Marti Forman, CEO of the Cooperative Feeding Program, told the newspaper. "It's a recreation thing, it's an initiation for gangs and fraternities."

It's a sick world.

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 10:00:33 PM
I would agree to the conscription as far as it was serving the community in some way, other than becoming cannon fodder for any military action. I don't think because you are poor, you should be forced to kill for your country.

During the 30's, Roosevelt introduced the CCC corp. This put many good people to work building dams, park trails and many projects that contributed to the state of the nation. It changed many lives for the better. This led us out of the Depression. An excellent program.

I myself, worked in a YCC (Youth Conservation Corp) Camp as a teenager growing up in Alaska.

So there is merit in a possible conscription program, as long as it does not get abused.

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 10:21:06 PM
Actually, not a bad idea at all. Maybe a Corp could be established to help rebuild New Orleans using labor from able-bodied welfare recipients. Good call Yna6.

Toon
 sherrym7405
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:33:43 PM
its not just a nudge, its an opportunity and a choice
i work with many psychologically and physically ill people, the saddest thing that i can see anywhere is that nobody feels sorry for those who are burdened with below average mentality or for those who did bring it upon themselves by abusing drugs knowingly or by accident. a great many medications bring on changes in mental status that would make one believe they were dealing with a mad man.
truth be it, the majority of the general population is not aware of mental illness and even fewer have true compassion for those who suffer with the disease
it is not the city that is mean
it is the people that make up the city
bottom line is that we created mean cities, its about time we took them back, took back our homeless, and took back our pride
take care of our own brothers, as if they were our brothers
its a big dream....
but pay it forward my friend, it has to start someplace
start with something small, help somebody load the grocieries in the car, let some one go in front of you when you get your morning coffee and smile
the longest journey, does begin with one step
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/9/2006 4:12:11 AM
wow...ashley....i'm sure you would've stopped right there in the middle of litte TOKYO and had your sh*t kickin boots shined right there if my man had a kit right?....gimme a break....so homeless is okay as long as they provide a service?...hmmmm....now you wouldn't happen to be from...oh i don't know (and i haven't check but i'm pretty sure)...texas???....(now i'll check)....yup that was a tough call...i am unfortunately from a city with plenty of homeless, not as much as the warm weather cities but quite a few.....and i have never had a homeless person offer to wash my car for me....you must have been near beverly hills....that's big money homeless there.....one thing i have had happen quite a bit on the campus of the college i went to (downtown detroit) is a homeless person (s) asking me for money in very close proximity to "now hiring" or "now accepting applications" or "help wanted" signs....and here's the funny thing....when we were freshman we usually gave money but as upper classmen (and after three and four years of seeing the same person beggin for cash)....we would ask them if they wanted us to help them fill out a job application (this was after we okay'ed the hiring of said person with the management at a local store)....the answer was always no....do you want to know why?....an investigative report by the detroit free press some 15 years ago had the average TAX FREE income of the homeless they followed (the homeless with the good spots...lights on service drives, right in front of the student union, dorms, etc.) at about $50,000 per year....no shi*....it isn't all of the homeless but for some it's a job and a very good one at that....the money they receive is all take home....they receive care at the clinics, beds and food at the shelter and booze at the store.....if you are homeless in detroit you can find help....but they sometimes just don't....especially in the summer months...for some it's not a choice but for the other half it is.....so if that is mean....put me on the list....i just think it's realistic....and just for the record....have you refuse a homeless person begging for money lately?.....they get pissed!!!....
 Raven1
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:23:46 PM

the thing about homeless people is this, many are dangerous, many will break into your car for spare change a nap or to piss and puke in it, they lower the quality of life for people who live nearby.

WOW, lmfao!
Where the heck do you live?
The slums of the slum of the earth.
In a HUGE city like Toronto where I live we don't even have that happening.
You have a better chance of that happening by a regular thief than that happening by a homeless person.

You're right. It does make you sound bad. Makes you sound like you need to get off your computer and out more!

Who the hell would break into a car just to piss or puke in it?
lol
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/10/2006 3:43:37 AM
point taken jax....your "experiment" was kinda like the job application thing we did....the answer was no because, like i said and at least here in motown, they make A TON of cash...and i too have worked since the age of 7 (cutting lawns for five bucks) i have always worked hard for everything and as a matter of fact i would go nuts without work....but to the homeless it is very easy money so i guess as long as people give they will take (human nature i guess)....you know what is really interesting?....i mentioned the article (s) that the detroit fishwrap did on the homeless....what i didn't mention is that when the journalist was spending the days with the homeless....she, on a regular basis, saw twenties, fifties and on one occasion a c-note dropped into the jar for the "homeless vet that needed money to eat."....well with his take he could've bought all of us dinner at morton's.....also...

....and because of many friends in the biz....i know this much....and so should the homeless (it's unwritten law)....never....EVER...mess with a construction dudes tools!!....later.
 toonsmith
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:49:43 PM
Many types of homeless other than the stereotypical druggie old bum image. Los Angeles is still the dumping ground of young people starstruck and broke. Plenty of young people living under bridges. There are many people running from bad situations that are caught in between.

You know the story, in order to get a job, you have to have a phone, in order to keep a job, you have to have a place where you can shower. Food stamps are easy to get and there are food banks. But the price of shelter these day? Outrageous. Even slummy housing in California goes for big bucks.

I can't think of any answers.

Idealist? no, rapidly losing hope there. It is a dog eat dog world and the cities will only get meaner. The general attitude will be "I've got mine, you go get yours."

If you are not homeless and have a family and a nice life. Count your blessings.

If you are a neocon, pass the ammo.

Toon
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/11/2006 4:15:36 PM
toonsmith...i don't think it is necessarily a "i've got mine go get yours" thing...it's just that what i wrote in my first post and what jax backed up is true all over.....there are jobs available and there is so many ways that people want AND TRY to help the homeless where i am from (i keep saying that because i don't know what the programs are in other cities) and we are not talking about a bed for the night....we're talking about a job, a bed until they can afford their own place, and even clothes for work if they need them and are you ready for this....DETOX!!!....that's right....so i guess i just don't get it....but then again....the journalist jax referenced and the one i did....(it's a very "en vogue" piece for journalist's to do....the "day in the life of a homeless person" bit)well it's true!.....these people MAKE A TON OF TAX FREE CASH.....in fact i would go as far as to say that the only people that see it as a problem may be us???....i think that some of the homeless are quite content with their situation....(not all!!....just some).....and just a sidebar, footnote...whatev.....i have family in west l.a. and spend quite a bit of time there and i agree completley....i don't know how you can stop it but you hit the nail on the head with the situation of homeless being a product of starstruck teens that spend all of their cash to move to the "promise land" to be discovered is worse than its ever been (according to said family members)....people don't realize that thousands of kids, young adults move there and become homeless or have to resort to hooking, drug dealing or working out in the valley shooting porn to get by....very sad.
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/12/2006 2:55:35 AM
did you read the whole post?...no....there is help in every major city.....and vets more than anybody, if they want it, can get help....head to the va....and before it is said that they cannot do that....stop because they can and if you know of any vets that have this problem find out where they live and call there local va....not the 800 number call the hospital directly and they will admit them.....and when mom and dad are crack heads family services needs to intervene....and if they don't know about them then shame on the neighbors that won't report it....you know....you're totally oblivious to the fact that there is help available...ESPECIALLY for the two groups mentioned....yea...it sucks to put a child in the system but at least it gives them a chance....and why is the cutoff all of a sudden 6 years?...you can go as low as birth dude....one more thing....the journalist didn't get any money....she followed a homeless person around for a week.....read the whole post AND UNDERSTAND IT before stepping on top of the soapbox please.....and i will have a nice life....wanna know why?.....i've earned it....i've earned it through very hard work and will continue to do so...take care now.....
 diode
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/3/2006 5:06:52 PM
I think it's absurd to think that a homeless person can panhandle 40 or 50k a year. It just defies all rationality. Give me a break. Homeless people are getting maybe some change or a buck or two every 15 minutes. It can't possibly be that remunerative.

There's all sorts of homeless people from people just couch surfing while going through a difficult period, to people living in cars with some kind of SSI income to hardcore alcoholic panhandlers. They don't all fit into the same neat pigeonhole.

Perhaps there is no answer for the tragedy that is homelessness, but the level of outrage towards them is amazing. Homeless people tend to be the victims of crime, not the reverse. The majority are simply trying to survive under the most difficult conditions any human being should have to experience.

There are solutions that work well and could do amazing things for homeless people like the tent cities in Portland. These are lawful, orderly places that help people get their existence back on track. This guy has some great ideas about how to fix homelessness: http://www.habitatforthehomeless.org/index.htm

Finally, the 80/20 rule comes into effect. 20% of the homeless cause 80% of the problems and cost 80% of the money to cities, like drunks who are always in the emergency room. Resolving the needs of that 20% can free up a lot of money.

Not dealing with homelessness in a rational manner ends up costing some much more in the long run.
 toonsmith
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:57:21 AM
A very good post pretzel42. Bravo for your honesty and courage.

People do need to think a little harder rather than labeling everyone who is poor and disabled with a stereotype image. There are thousands of different stories out there. People from all walks of life.

Toon
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > 20 meanest cities towards the homeless