Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in pe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ooobaby77
Msg: 101
Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

im attracted to guys personalities rather than the looks first. Im not shallow

Are you saying that you can fall in love with a man online that you never even saw a picture of ??
I find that very hard to believe and why I do is ...... because you have to have some kind of a physical attraction to a person aside from the emotional and it has nothing to do with being shallow but all a part of the laws of 'attraction'!!!
Perhaps the physical to you is of less importance but a person doesn't have to be utterly beautiful to be attractive.....after all love is in the eyes of the beholder.
 RichAnderson
Msg: 102
Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?
Posted: 5/10/2009 7:20:20 PM
That's an easy one... Not if you're a rational, sane person it isn't!
 short-n-sweeter
Msg: 103
Posted: 4/21/2013 5:41:46 PM
If both persons involved are honest and upfront about who they are and represent themselves correctly then yes- it is possible to fall in love with someone before you meet face to face. Unless you are one of those who fall in love based on physical attributes, that is! For those seeking a deeper, spiritual connection - writing is a great way to delve into the soul of another
 varyk
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/22/2013 4:02:22 AM
I was always wondering about this. If this happened, at what point did it happen. Did anyone fall in love at the e-mail phase without even hearing the persons voice? or Did someone begin to fall in love once they heard the person's voice.

Whether the communications are down via which ever meduim, it is reasonable for one to I can start to feel emotions and begin to experience physical and emotional attachments that may resemble or are similar that of being "in love". Now, whether I would go as far as to say you are "in love" which still has yet to be actually substantiated has yet to be proven. Many of us have in our lifetimes including myself have been guilty of confusing one for the other, but time and time again has shown that no matter how euphoric the feeling may make you feel, it isn't real and remains nothing more than a lovely notion will you actually physical meet face to face.

If they did fall in love before meeting, what happens once they met. Did they have to start from the beginning or was the love maintained and continued and it progressed further?

The fact is you really never know what you are going to end up with until you meet. We all know our minds and our imaginations never fail to always filling in the blanks where photos and audio cue could not provide a full real life representation of them as a person. So, meeting could end up going two ways. I have been on both ends of spectrum, where expectations met and where they fell short of reality.

or did they meet and there was no chemistry and the whole deal was dead?

Sometimes you can't recover from being "disappointed", but if you are honest and willing to make the best, you could always end up with another friend.

Luck of the draw, I guess and there isn't any way to guarantee the outcome other than going through the motions. Online dating is a crap shoot, some are lucky and some are not so lucky, but you can't possible win if you don't play the game:-) Good Luck!
 KatarzynaLuiza
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/22/2013 4:17:28 AM
Idk abou love but u can really really like them n then when u meet then they are even better n u really can't sit if they will call u again or not or u meet them n u totally not attracted to them in any way.
 KatarzynaLuiza
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/22/2013 4:18:30 AM
Of that second group is usually those they call lol.
 cooldog65
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2013 4:40:45 AM

MTV turned this into a show called "Catfish".
 annywn
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/22/2013 4:49:07 AM
Yes, but then I actually met them and there went that! Lol I jest of course.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/22/2013 7:01:12 AM
Was an awesome time in 2006 for online dating. And I don't mean freebie date sites like this place, where the socially dysfunctional, inept, damaged, emotionally vulnerable or players gather. Was new back then. pay as you go for about $20 a month. There was no pretentious BS, most were genuine whether they had a pic posted or not & people were who they claimed to be. I wouldn't call it love but more so a deep infatuation, which made it easier to meet, date & develop relationships.

Flash forward to now & online dating's in the crapper. I realized this in 2009 after coming back to pay sites, Singlesnet & Match, between relationships. Online dating's become the loser cliche & stereotype we're all embarrassed to confess being a part of. It's why I now only hover in the forums.
 enigoM
Msg: 110
Posted: 4/22/2013 7:04:17 AM
NO....It's possible to think you have but you never know how you will react when meeting in real life...
 Maleman999
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/22/2013 7:23:58 AM
A good question to ask people who stalk rich and famous stars, where some will even kill the person they "love" if the love isn't reciprocated.
 shine1274
Msg: 112
Posted: 4/22/2013 9:31:04 AM
I think the seeds could be planted, but there has to be real world physical contact to feed it. Those that have managed to fall online then meet and everything went smooth, they got lucky.
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/23/2013 9:27:24 PM
I think it is entirely possible! I have feelings and great respect for someone I have never met. I "talk" to him via email and he blogs, so do I, and I read all is blogs....they give me a great deal of insight into who he is.

He is anti relationship and anti marriage....so recently I quit emailing him. I have come to believe that respect is the number 1, most important thing that makes a relationship "stick". If I can't respect someone, I can't "love" them. Sex is just going out to eat, while really getting to know and respect someone is the real deal.

I'm not into anything but the real deal.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2013 10:16:23 AM
I can see that the answers to this question all depend upon how each person defines "in love."

I recognize several...levels, or degrees or categories of "in love" myself. I can have the "pleasant brain chemical response" level, to something as limited as a photograph. I have "fallen in love" before with the sound of someone's voice; with how they move; with how they smoke a cigarette, even though I have never smoked and will never do so; with the way they write; with the ideas they express; with how they look naked; with how they look clothed; and on and on.

I have read of people who fell in love with each other from a great distance, and had it work once they got together, and have read of the reverse as well.

I think it is as possible to get to know and appreciate someone without the close physical contact that I think most of us associate with the kind of "in love" we are here in hopes of becoming.

I have experienced falling in love with one facet of a person, and upon actually coming in contact with them, being embarrassed that I ever allowed myself to express what turned out to be a mistaken apprehension...and so I understand completely those who are intensely opposed or wary of EVER risking letting themselves feel that way a second time, and I also understand therefore why many will respond to questions like this with angry or at least intense negative reactions.

The older I get, and the longer I go without finding a possible mate nearby, the more willing I am to allow myself to enjoy the small, likely just illusions of love that I feel for others. My only remaining restraint is, that I will not push my perceived affections or desires onto those people, and call upon them to respond in kind, unless and until I believe that we could make a serious go of things.
 CawkBlawker
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2013 11:51:04 AM
Are you trying to tell me that my romance that I'm having with Jon Hamm who contacted me on this site, is not real? I'm gutted.

Lonely and unsocial people are sometimes pretty desperate and can be anyone they want to on the net. I've had guys tell me they love me and I told them slow down buddy, I don't know you. That's when you hit the block button. But my new boyfriend in Nigeria just bought me a house with the money I sent him. I'm just waiting to hear back about when I can be with him.
 liketo
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/25/2013 4:14:01 PM
I know it is possible. But not for most people. You both have to be completely open and honest , unabashed about what you say. Lay it on the line, if you want to spank their as-s , say so.
I met a lady online, 3 months of emails and photos, fell in love. then went to see her, fell in love more. My idea of her was right, and she loves me, walking hand in hand, or in the bedroom. It is wonderful.
I suppose it is not for everyone, as it is a gamble. It takes 2 very honest people to make it work. So ask yourself, would you tell someone your most inner thoughts, desires, plans for the future, before you met in person. If you wouldn't, you couldn't fall in love anyway. that's how i see it. By the way, we are now married.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/25/2013 4:19:59 PM
Once upon a time.. i fell "in love" online..

its all fantasy.. not reality

The fact was ... he was lying to me.. about EVERYTHING

He had been screwing a friend of mine.. AND he was married..

hmm..

We had "shared" so much before that information came to light..

Weirdly enough..... i still miss him..
 Maleman999
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/25/2013 6:54:40 PM
It is entirely possible to fall in love with someone you haven't met. A long time ago, I fell in love with Farah Fawcett-right after her swimsuit poster came out, then again with Linda Carter-loved that Wonder Woman outfit she wore, and minor crushes on all of the women in Charlies Angels. What I loved about all of them was their crime fighting abilities. lol. There's nothing that can compare to seeing women in high heels and designer dresses or a bathing suit beating up bad guys.
 35brock
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/25/2013 7:59:31 PM
Maybe some people can. But not me. I would need to some spend time going out on dates with that person.
 NewYorkFan1
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/25/2013 10:00:22 PM
Falling in love with someone online before meeting them is basically falling in love with a fantasy.
I don't believe it is possible, but there are exceptions to everything in life, so I guess for a lucky few it can happen..
But I know that I won't be one of those lucky few. I try to meet as soon as possible when I meet someone online. And that way I know for sure if there is any chemistry...
 bamagrl68
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/28/2013 11:29:27 PM
ehigom- I agree.
There was a thread about dating disasters that I commented on (I can't remember that exact title of the thread).
My first online date was a disaster.
By no means did I think I was in love with him, but I liked him.
We chatted online for a while, then talked on the phone, then meet in person.
The INSTANT I saw him, I felt repelled. (he was handsome, so please no one jump to the conclusion this was an issue of me being shallow).
Thank God I'm wise enough to meet in a public place the first few dates. He seemed nice (and sane) when we were chatting online and talked on the phone but acted and talked completely different in person (a creep and a real weirdo).
My point is that sometimes you can THINK you have feelings, or are attracted or in love, etc., but I don't believe you can TRULY fall in love until you meet face to face and spend time together.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/1/2013 9:57:56 PM
Fell in love once from just pictures and words....

it was the brochure for the 84 Buick GNX
 bamagrl68
Msg: 123
Posted: 9/1/2013 10:07:51 PM
elmuchoburrito- I hear 'ya ;)
My true love in pics: A cherry red 1968 Mustang, with black leather interior, be still my heart :)
 premed10
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2013 6:22:50 AM
I'm in love with Amy Lee from Evanescence..... and we have never met.
 Maleman999
Msg: 125
Posted: 9/5/2013 7:50:33 AM
Sure it is. Look at women who start writing love letters to prisoners convicted of mass murder or other horrible crimes and fall in love with them before meeting-the ultimate in being attracted to and going after the bad boys. Law abiding guys are too boring and not dangerous enough. In some cases, they even end up getting married while the guy is still in jail and serving a very long sentence.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?