Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in pe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 35brock
Msg: 173
Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Maybe some people can. But not me. I would need to some spend time going out on dates with that person.
 NewYorkFan1
Msg: 174
Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?
Posted: 8/25/2013 10:00:22 PM
Falling in love with someone online before meeting them is basically falling in love with a fantasy.
I don't believe it is possible, but there are exceptions to everything in life, so I guess for a lucky few it can happen..
But I know that I won't be one of those lucky few. I try to meet as soon as possible when I meet someone online. And that way I know for sure if there is any chemistry...
 bamagrl68
Msg: 175
Posted: 8/28/2013 11:29:27 PM
ehigom- I agree.
There was a thread about dating disasters that I commented on (I can't remember that exact title of the thread).
My first online date was a disaster.
By no means did I think I was in love with him, but I liked him.
We chatted online for a while, then talked on the phone, then meet in person.
The INSTANT I saw him, I felt repelled. (he was handsome, so please no one jump to the conclusion this was an issue of me being shallow).
Thank God I'm wise enough to meet in a public place the first few dates. He seemed nice (and sane) when we were chatting online and talked on the phone but acted and talked completely different in person (a creep and a real weirdo).
My point is that sometimes you can THINK you have feelings, or are attracted or in love, etc., but I don't believe you can TRULY fall in love until you meet face to face and spend time together.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 176
Posted: 9/1/2013 9:57:56 PM
Fell in love once from just pictures and words....

it was the brochure for the 84 Buick GNX
 bamagrl68
Msg: 177
Posted: 9/1/2013 10:07:51 PM
elmuchoburrito- I hear 'ya ;)
My true love in pics: A cherry red 1968 Mustang, with black leather interior, be still my heart :)
 premed10
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2013 6:22:50 AM
I'm in love with Amy Lee from Evanescence..... and we have never met.
 Maleman999
Msg: 179
Posted: 9/5/2013 7:50:33 AM
Sure it is. Look at women who start writing love letters to prisoners convicted of mass murder or other horrible crimes and fall in love with them before meeting-the ultimate in being attracted to and going after the bad boys. Law abiding guys are too boring and not dangerous enough. In some cases, they even end up getting married while the guy is still in jail and serving a very long sentence.
 Fleuron
Msg: 180
Posted: 9/5/2013 11:57:24 AM

Sure it is. Look at women who start writing love letters to prisoners convicted of mass murder or other horrible crimes and fall in love with them before meeting-the ultimate in being attracted to and going after the bad boys. Law abiding guys are too boring and not dangerous enough. In some cases, they even end up getting married while the guy is still in jail and serving a very long sentence.

Yes, this often happens to me. I’m lucky…..Attica prison is just down the road….no shortage of hardcore, famous criminals to choose from and not far to drive. Just love men who are into porking each other.

EYEROLL.

Law abiding guys are too boring and not dangerous enough

Keep telling yourself that.

OT: Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning. Also, Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.
 TerrieLynnC70
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2013 3:08:25 PM
I don't believe it is. I believe, as some have mentioned, it's a FANTASY.

You have to get past the texts, chatting here, talking on the phone, and ACTUALLY SPEND TIME TOGETHER FACE TO FACE AND IN PERSON.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 182
Posted: 9/5/2013 3:29:48 PM

it's a FANTASY

I have found in my own life that most of my love relationships involved lots of 'fantasy', whether the object of my affection was right next to me on the couch or a thousand miles away. Spinning a wonderful cocoon of love and lust necessarily involves lots of imaginative thoughts and scenarios. Feelings of love and lust lift us out of the mundane world and into a heightened arena where everything is possible and all is wonderful.

Time enough back at the ranch to deal with the mundane.
 leggygirl
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:56:30 AM
Absolutely, I did. ...and I wasn't desperate. Do I think it's common....no way. This was about 11 yrs ago now, through the internet. He emailed me, I looked at his profile and wasn't sure if I thought he was that cute. My friends all did but I was on the fence. He kept contacting me through email to get together but I kept putting him off. It was the holiday times so timing wasn't so good. We finally made a phone date to chat. We chatted for 2 hours and when I got off the phone I was "in love" with this guy. We met a couple of weeks later and I was so nervous I could hardly look at him and we only hung out for a couple of hours. We dated for almost a year, and I have never had that experience with someone ever. I was in love with him and loved him at the same time (they are 2 different things). It took me 3 years (sorry to say) to get over this guy when we split. I refer to him at Heartbreaker ...his name was John.

Not a common story at all
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2013 5:27:09 AM
Of course it is....Nigeria is now considered the most loving place in the world.....
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 185
Posted: 9/10/2013 6:27:55 AM
Is it possible to fall in love with a person before meeting them?

well, it is possible, but overwhelmingly most of the time it is two people falling in love with the IDEA of each other (when you aren't in person, you fill in the blanks on who they are; you take hwat you know, what you have seen (two dimensional pictures), your lack of interaction when things are stressful , and create this person out of your interpretations and make that THE person.

This is hwy there are so many jarring first meets when people actually have the real person in front of them after.

So many things we "fill in" to the holes we don't know yet (body language, eye contact, the "vibe" of the person, whether there is chemistry there or not, we fill in relaly wrong, and then when we meet we are totally and completely thrown with who they actually are, not getting we have NO way of knowing how we usually will feel about a person until after having that in person ability to fill in the rest of the blanks (and sometimes more than once).

Also there is a sense of awkwardness when saying things in the privacy of your own home in the dark to a faceless stranger that all of a sudden are very real when you are faced with the actual in person person who just became a stranger.

So while there indeed are those who do fall in love and stay in love when they finally meet, the OVERWHELMING majority come to a screeching halt and either have to massively recalibrate the person they had created in their head (fantasies are just that... fantasies... most flesh and blood people are not perfect prototypes; we all have reactions, areas of strength, areas of weakness, and it is not all the romantic glow soft chat whispers in the dark that people do when they do those online romances). And often it's not that real is bad; it's just that all of a sudden we are facing the real flesh and blood person, not the fantasy creation we have had living in our heads for however long we have interacted.

(ps... on why people do fall in love though; people tend to be vulnerable and emotionally open when they are not face to face; and so a person can get an incredible sense of intimacy and closeness; and often people mistake this for romantic (though in some cases it is ). That is why there are so many marriages broken up nowadays because of online cheating; the people think they are going to be playing at it; but it is real feelings, real individuals and real families broken up when all of a sudden the person in the relationship chooses the faceless stranger who "gets" them rather than the current spouse who "just doesn't understand"

)
 Maleman999
Msg: 186
Posted: 9/10/2013 9:50:46 AM
Women in third world countries who sign up for being mail order brides fall in love all of the time with American men who have their own houses, cars and disposable cash without meeting them first.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?