Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Why is a great person like you single?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SmilingTruth
Msg: 76
Why is a great person like you single?Page 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Sporty Dude! Don't let these ideas (handsome, good looking etc.) begin to rule your thinking at this early age! Otherwise one will never (or rarely) be happy with oneself.

It's the character + self confidence + intelligence + a pleasant demeanour, which really count in the end. Why? Because after all is said and done, the "influence" of the imagery fades away. What people remember is the substance.

Think of it this way: Nice looks are the perishable food you store in the fridge. Character etc ripen with time. But they always taste good.

Good luck to you (smile).
B
 misseyes
Msg: 77
Why is a great person like you single?
Posted: 1/18/2007 10:27:23 PM
The last time someone asked me this, my answer was "because I just got released from the pink padded cell and haven't been out very long". Strangely enough, he didn't ask any more questions *shrugs lightly*

Now pass the chocolate.
 TattoosAreAddictive
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/18/2007 10:39:16 PM
Firstly, these are just my answers to the question. I like to keep a positive attitude. I love myself, and I love the person I am. Now, to the question. When a guy looks at my profile, he does not scroll down in anticipation to read about me. He doesn't care that I love cars, or that I play guitar, or that I am passionate about drawing. He stops at the pictures. I have a rounder face, 'chubby' as most would say. But I am by no means overweight. I walk daily for exercise, I work out, and I am always on my feet. Could I do more to get in shape? Damn right, and I'm doing it now. But when guys view my profile they don't bother to read that I want to make my body even better so I can love me even more. They see a chubby girl and my fate is sealed. The ugly truth is that because I weigh 160 pounds instead of 100 that I am not pretty, I am not talented, I am not worthy of having someone who loves me for who I am. Well that's not true. I am beautiful, I am talented, and I sure as hell deserve someone to love just as much as all the little skinny people around me! Why are all the guys I see day in and day out on this site still here? They aren't looking for a nice woman like me to settle down with. They want to get laid, and if they claim otherwise, consider it a lie. Now I'm not saying there isn't any honest guys on here, but the majority are just looking for booty. To be 100% honest, I do not get ANY emails at all anymore. Now this is NOT because of me having a negative attitude, I'm confident in myself. I don't get mail because guys are just looking for fantasies. Now me, I email a few people a day just to get the old 'read deleted' Now tell me, are people really that shallow? So nevermind my great attitude,sexy curvy body,intelligence, humor etc. Because I'm not a slutty chick like Paris Hilton or one of those 'woman' and because I can't fit into a size 0, I get blacklisted. Ok, might seem negative at this point but bare with me, it's getting good. The men on this site are not good enough for me, and no it's not because of looks or job etc. It's because they all have s****y attitudes about dating and they need to take off the dark glasses and realize what they are looking for has been in front of them all along. There's a song that suits the men/woman on here who are choosing who to reply/email/date based on how much they weigh or how far they go on a first date. It's a song best done by Eric Clapton on his live concert cd, Just One Night. It's a wonderful ditty called 'Furthur On Up the Road.' I'll give you an excerpt. "Furthur on up the road, someone's going to hurt you like you hurt me, furthur on up the road, baby just you wait and see. " Just like you mistreat someone, someone's going to mistreat you" "You've been laughing pretty baby, but some sad day you're going to be crying, furthur on up the road, you'll find out I wasn't lying.

So in closing, I am single because none of the men on this site can appreciate what a great and deserving woman I am. And I will keep searching until I find the guy that can see past looks, whether it's on or off the internet.
 LimitedGoldEdition
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/19/2007 4:33:38 AM
I agree. I'd be rich as well. Shannon's list of creative answers: Why is a great person like you single?... well... because:

- May the best man win.
- Haven't found a guy who doesn't know what IM is. Show me a non-addicted computer user, and you got a deal!
- Well, just looking for a man who doesn't have the population of Ontario on speed dial.
- I'm waiting for someone who remembers to put the toilet seat down.
- I'm Trying to find someone who doesn't know what text messages are.
- I'm waiting for a Maxwell House lover instead of a Tim Horton's addicted freak.

But that's just my little creative list with coffee at 7:30 am.
 Decemberman
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/19/2007 5:20:04 AM
If I was so great, I doubt I would be single. People look for fault much quicker than they look for good in a person, and you kind of find what you look for.
 erb117
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/19/2008 11:39:54 PM
I usually reply with... "Because I'm smarter than that!" LOL
 Coastergal
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:18:14 AM
LOL I get asked this frequently and actually had a customer just a few days ago... state.. " I notice you don't wear a wedding ring?" I let him know that was because I was single. He asked if I was divorced... He was floored when I said... "Nope, Never been married and I don't have any kids" He was like WOW, I can't believe you haven't been snatched up.

It was sweet, embarrassing and as many times as it's been brought up I still just don't have the right response!
 str8ahd
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:33:37 AM
Because it wouldn't be fair to let someone fall in love with me when I'm only here until the mother ship comes back for the data I've collected.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:58:39 AM
LOL at anyone not getting that it's a rhetorical question. It's a conversational filler, just like "How are you doing?" at the beginning of conversations. Either give a quick, standard answer or just ignore it altogether. No one (except a lunatic) expects you to give some deep self-analysis on all the reasons you're single.
 regalrose
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2008 10:58:58 AM
Yeah, heard the same thing...that, and "why did your ex's leave? You are such a wonderful woman." Pfffft, I asked the guys, first husband said, wasn't you it was me, I loved you, just wasn't in love....realize what I lost now. Second husband said, because I can and want to. That was the only explaination I got...found out both had cheated. So, who knows. When asked those things, I just answer...Just the way life turned out.
 Billfishin2
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/20/2008 11:05:25 AM
Hey Ldygmr, quit telling about the pygmy cannibals here in Arkansas, you are gonna scare off the tourists!!
 casunshine_88
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/1/2008 9:33:34 PM
Sierrasman - GREAT Answer going to use it next 100 times I get asked that same exact question .
 mthomjmark
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:08:21 AM

I get tired of being asked this question. If I had 10 bucks for every time I have been asked it, I'd be a rich woman. I'm single because I am. It's not a life style choice. Just the way it is right now. I'm running out of creative answers to this question. Any one care to help?

I hate this; I get emails, why are you single? I then write back,"why are you?". They then always say, "I guess thats a dumb question."
 Libby68
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:29:12 AM

Wouldn't it be a lot worse if they said - "wow, I see why you're still single!"
 *in*spired
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:46:03 AM
I hear this too quite often. ...and, why are you on here on a Saturday night?

I'm supposed to be somewhere? I'm supposed to be with someone? The people who ask me these things, ask me on Saturdays nights and are single/separated/divorced.

Why is someone like you not already taken?

Translation: What's wrong with you?
 indehills
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:54:05 AM

If I was so great, I doubt I would be single.

Unfortunately, it's much to easy to get that idea stuck in your head, and once you do, you're sunk. I've found myself actually saying that to several people not too long ago.

I just hate the old "friends" thing. Women LOVE to be my friend. They say I'm a good guy, caring, thoughtful, etc, and they just CAN'T figure out why I'm single, yet THEY just want to be friends. Umm, THAT'S why I'm single.
 Megaladonfishy
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:22:41 AM
Just hold out your hand and ask if they brought the engagement ring with them or should we go buy it now?
 burnleybabe
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:37:01 AM
I would say this just to see the reaction...

"Because I am an absolute a**!"

or, if they happen to be married...

"I don't know...why is someone who is great as you married?"

Smart a** answer? Yes, indeed...but I think it might make them think twice about asking such a mind-numbingly stupid question again.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:39:17 AM
It's ANNOYING and some people make it seem like there is something "WRONG" with you for being single/unmarried.

Oh well..............
 Hookme2009
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:42:34 AM
I am cursed.....
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/2/2008 12:09:48 PM
Sabrosura, I so agree with you! Being single has never been as big as an issue for me as it has been to those around me who have thought I should have been 'snatched up long ago'.

I raised my daughter, put myself through college twice, kept my daughter in sports, and worked my darn tail off. I had time for a long term relationship in the midst of all that, too.

I lead a busy life and I am content in my own skin. My friends, my job which is incredibly fulfilling, my family, and my interests have me leading a good life. I have never been in any rush to jump into a relationship just for the sake of not having to say I am single.

There is nothing negative about being single, whatsoever...be happy and live life to its fullest and what is meant to be will happen. In the meantime, love yourself and the life you have....and ignore the negativity from others.

When I get asked that question, I usually respond with another question: What's wrong with being single?
 Dalmuti
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 12:32:07 PM

It's ANNOYING and some people make it seem like there is something "WRONG" with you for being single/unmarried.

The comment that irritates me is when a female clerk (never had a man ask me this) at the liquor store looks at the 6-pack I'm buying and then my ID and asks: "Aren't you a little old to be single?" The first time I heard such a comment, I was 23 for crying out loud. It still happens from time to time, and when it does I try to avoid going back to such a store from that point forward. If 23's considered old to be single, 29's probably confirmed-bachelor territory in those circles.

Whatever, I'd rather live alone on my own terms than get married for just the sake of doing so and living unhappily ever after. Plus I've got a "lasts longest" bet with some poker buddies as to who will be the last to the altar. In a couple of years, they'll all have wives, and I'll have all their cash they put in.
 gorangers24
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/2/2008 1:44:52 PM
I think one thing we are missing about this question is it's context and usage. I have seen times where it is used merely to express a compliment to someone saying that it is a surprise that they are single because they are a great person.
 aug13
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:18:02 PM
it surprises me too .....
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 6:02:50 PM
Maybe the answer is "because I get grumpy with people even when they are clearly trying to compliment me."
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Why is a great person like you single?