Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bucsgirl
Msg: 39
Straight EdgePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
king Wow you have a good memory, I know exactly what you're talking about...haha.
 astrosky
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted: 1/20/2006 10:19:03 AM
A lot of it has to do with your age range - for some reason people in their teens and early 20's think they are tres cool for getting messed up out of their minds. The smart ones grow out of it, the smartest ones never felt the need to do it at all. Its all about experimentation and exploring boundaries, as well as discovering personal truths about what authority figures tell you to avoid.

If you don't like it, leave it alone. I question the maturity level and motives of anyone who insists I share their vices, and I don't consider them good for me.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself if I'm looking for it.
 bodah
Msg: 45
Straight Edge
Posted: 3/3/2007 10:28:41 AM
I don't claim edge, but I dont have casual sex, drink, smoke or use drugs. But I am not that into the hardcore scene, so I just consider myself poison free not edge.
 bodah
Msg: 47
Straight Edge
Posted: 3/3/2007 3:17:08 PM
I totally disagree. Straightedge is part of hardcore. It came from hardcore, its based in hardcore. Without hardcore, its just teetotalling. The straightedge movement and community are totally linked to hardcore.
 bodah
Msg: 51
Straight Edge
Posted: 3/4/2007 8:42:54 AM
"hardcore sXe" is sXe. It isnt something seperate. Hardcore is just what the music is called, it isnt a personality description. All sorts of people like hadrcore. I think you are thinking of hardline sXe, people who are vigilant about it.
But in my opinion (and that of many others ) if you aren invoved in the harcdcore music scene, you just arent edge, as that is what edge is.
 TheyCallMeMrAwesome
Msg: 53
Straight Edge
Posted: 5/1/2009 9:59:13 PM
well your a lot better than I am I've been drunk god knows how many times and I used to smoke weed like a chimney! I do still enjoy cigars (nothing wrong there) and I do drink but man, You ain't missed out on much, I've never done anything drug wise outside of weed, but I gotta tel ya, it is worth trying.....once! I'm back on track now since I'm joining the army but I salute you for what your doing is NOT easy.
 thwipp89
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted: 6/12/2009 12:16:19 AM
i don't blame you for not trying drugs or smoking. as far as the drinking (and yes, i know alcohol is a drug), i would say moderation is key. a beer or 2 won't kill you. actually they say a drink or 2 a day is good for you but to each their own. but yeah, moderation is the key. a lot of people ignore that part of the equation.
 StrangeMonkey9000
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted: 6/12/2009 3:21:14 AM
I know what you're going through, OP. I don't really shoot for the whole straight edge thing, but I rarely drink and when I do, it's never more than enough to give me a buzz. I dislike being staggering all over the place, drunk. As a result when I got to bars and such with my friends (also a rare occurrence), I usually don't drink at all and just play pool or darts or something.

Let me tell you, I have gotten a lot of hell for it too. I've been mocked and called every name you can think of by the drunk morons that will be puking all over themselves within 30 minutes. I don't find being drunk cool, and I can't stand to be around drunks either. I actually don't see any point in getting drunk or high. It seems like a waste of money for momentary happiness. If you can call waking up behind the dumpster of a wal mart parking lot with no memory of how you got there, fun.

I've even had a girl I went on a couple dates with refuse to go any farther until I got high with her. when I told her I'm not down with getting messed up and that it would have to stop she kicked me out of her house. (It even bothered her so bad that she tried to get a guy that had a crush on her to pick a fight with me over it later.) My very first GF was a alcoholic party girl and I learned my lesson from her. You can NEVER trust a girl that just wants to party.

Sorry /rant.
 ACEXACE
Msg: 58
Straight Edge
Posted: 6/24/2010 3:23:45 PM
Why is this article straight Edge? Its spelt StraightEdge (no space).

Look up Straightedge dear and please next time change article heading to something relevent.

Straightedge people hang out with Hardcore type music. Ok yes you don't do bad things but if you don't have the culture taste then of course that's plain.

Now to problem. If your a guy: Good for you but question if this is a Straightedge article pal then why would you go to a club (than a Hardcore gig)? Friend if you ain't confident in attire then explain what you are? Like clean cut (not Straightedger) cause maybe religious or gamer type. It helps if more descriptive.

Girl: Same thing with impressions above.

Yes I'm a proper Straightedger and posers piss me off. I'll let this one slide. X's ON THE HANDS!
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted: 6/24/2010 3:35:37 PM

Look up Straightedge dear and please next time change article heading to something relevent.

what's less relevant that dredging up a five-year-old thread to rant out of context at a long-gone op over something as trivial as the trappings of some music-related clique?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >