Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why would you ever want to get married?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blu_eyed_gal
Msg: 26
Why would you ever want to get married?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I can't get married. I'm allergic.
 tetrahedron
Msg: 27
Why would you ever want to get married?
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:05:31 PM
I would get married because we belong together.
 imcookin
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:20:22 PM
A home,love,kids,pets,bbq's with the neighbors,in laws coming over.It's reason enough.At the end of the night when you lay beside your life's partner you'll know why you maried him.You'll face whatever life throws at you good or bad and know someone is there ready to cheer you on or catch you when you fall.Yes,people living together can do that but for me personally,a marriage takes it one step deeper.
 acburbank97
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:24:22 PM
^^^^^I think you've nailed it...choose wisely, I'm sure you'll have prospects.
So many seem to attitude themselves out of any possible chance, if that makes any sense.
 wiseone
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:55:45 PM
A marriage is essentially a legal arrangement to create property rights among other things between a man and a woman.

It should also indicate the existence of mutual love, devotion, fidelity, commitment, and other beautiful things between the man and woman. But,sadly, many marriages are nothing but a legal arrangement even though one or both partners initially had high hopes about it.

A successful relationship can exist without marriage between the partners. But many people have goals in life. And if a happy marriage is a personal goal then the one with that goal will not be satisfied with only a relationship even if it is otherwise a "perfect relationship".

Besides if one refuses to marry a partner when one knows that the other partner wants to be married, then the one refusing to do so might inadvertently create an impression that the other partner is good to have around for convenience but not good enough to make the ultimate commitment to.

wiseone
 TBoss
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/23/2006 11:10:44 PM
Perhaps to some people getting married establishes them as a family, a legal household, all that happily ever after stuff.

I was married, am still married and going through a divorce. I don't have any fear or objections of getting remarried either if I found the right person. I personally would want to be recognized as a legal family before I have children or bring children into the picture. This is just a choice for myself though, I would never tell you or anyone else who sees marriage as pointless otherwise for your own life.

There are lots of guys out there who are like you and see no point in getting married. Lots of women out there like the ex who want to get married and will set a date with him.
That probably sounds more harsh than helpful, yet is the bright side.
 allie_panda
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/23/2006 11:36:56 PM
i dont really get the point of marriage either

you can commit to someone for the rest of your life with out participating in some outdated ceremony and signing some legal document and changing your last name...

if you're marrying someone to solidify your relationship you are getting married for the wrong reason.

marriage should NOT be changing your relationship
it shouldnt change anything...
it should just be making it official in a legal sense.

i respect that some people want that whole ritual..
but it shouldn't make you feel more secure in your relationship, they can leave you just as easy, married or not.

all it is, is a legal document saying that your assests are now combined.

if you know you want to spend the rest of your life together anyway and you want an excuse to throw a party and get dressed up..and you're already combining assets...its an easy way to do it..(gives your significant other all sorts of legal rights if you get sick etc, depending on where you live marriage is required for this)

but getting married to make yourself feel better, to have a perfect relationship, or because its what people do, is a stupid reason to get married in my opinion.

i know someone who got married 6 months ago to someone she had been with for years...
(like 6 years, they had a long engagement) they got married because they thought thats what they were supposed to do, because they thought it would bring them closer, it would make their relationship better...

and they're legally seperated as of a month ago. headed for divorce. they only made it about 4 months before she moved out.
 Broken_Soul
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/24/2006 12:07:37 AM
I would marry my boyfriend any giveing day/second/hour/min/month... etc. When he returns home. I love him more than anything on this earth (besides our unborn child wich, i love to peices) and when he return's home i'm preying we still go through with getting married.
 belgarion
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/24/2006 12:36:00 AM
To me, marriage is a choice between two people who will give it their all. It's a commitment that has not only been discussed but also shown every day they are together. It's not a 100% guarantee. Nothing in life is, and they understand that going into the relationship. It’s two people willing to go out on that limb and take a chance, because that’s what marriage is. It’s a chance for two people to share their deepest thoughts and desires. It’s two people who have the same outlook on life and it’s challenges. They share the same goals and dreams together. The passion grows with each new day they encounter. It’s the hurt that they endure, but always together. The piece of paper that declares their commitment to one another is meaningless in their eyes, it’s what some do to make society happy with their choice. After all it was their choice to be together and not anyone else’s. I loved being married the paper had nothing to do with it.
 AI03™
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/24/2006 12:56:47 AM
I'm kinda tired of people spoutin off that"marriage is just a piece of paper"....

you can commit to someone for the rest of your life with out participating in some outdated ceremony and signing some legal document and changing your last name

Perhaps to YOU, it is nothng more than an "outdated ceremony". Some people see it as a very personal, spiritual ceremony and would feel more than happy and proud to "change thier name".

all it is, is a legal document saying that your assests are now combined.

The marriage certificate has NOTHING to do with "assets", much less "assets being combined". Should do your homework.

There are, believe it or not, in this JADED, selfish society, those that still take marriage vows and all it entails, serious. If you don't? Fine. It's gettin old hearing "dont do it to make your realtionship stronger and don't do it to feel secure" and bla bla bla bla... Give ADULTS some credit... not all of us are living in the ME world, some of us still believe in the vow of marriage and the premise it was built on.

So it didn't work for "your friends", or someone you knew did it for the wrong reasons... BIG A$$ WHOOP... let it jade you... and have a nice life doing that... If you don't beleive in it or don't want to do it? Great! But quit spittin out all the "negative bitter "examples".. WHO CARES??
 Broken_Soul
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:03:44 AM
Hey belgarion, How are you doing?

I just wanted to say you are speaking the absolute truth and i think that "marriage" is ALOT more than just saying i love you (ONLY when you get, in a fight and make up) it's more than i love you. It's something the BOTH of you have to feel inside and outside and KNOW that it's a real feeling and it's not just going to go, away by somebody's bullshit or dramma that people may cause you in you'r realtionship. I know inside/outside i wan't to settle down with this man and be his one and ONLY i have no doubt in my head/mind/heart/soul, about being with him for the rest of my life because i KNOW i've found the one that god has sent my way and to me there is absolutely nobody else in this world that i wan't to be with. Or ever will wan't to be with i love him and i wan't to be with HIM and HIM only. He make's me whole/complete and i know just how lucky i am to have him in my life and i would not change that or give up on him/us for no amount of money/food/clothes/(bullshit stuff, that you can live without). In the whole world he is the only i wan't to be with and i can not wait until our baby is born and we are a family once again.
 janicholie
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:09:20 AM
How 'bout tax breaks? I think most of us do it because that's the way society has conditioned us. But I think that's going to be rapidly changing soon, especialy with the divorce rate so high. I was married, and marriage is defantly over rated.
 AI03™
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:14:20 AM
^^ Only in YOUR opinion is it "over rated". If you were still happily "married" we wouldn't be hearing this from you. Wasn't "over-rated" when you said "I do", it only is now cuz it didnt work for you... as for "tax breaks".. there are a gazillion diff ways to beat taxes without saying "I do".
 ComoLaFlor4U
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:14:48 AM
A1- I couldn't of said it better...thank you!
 AI03™
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:16:01 AM
^^ You're quite welcome.
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:16:49 AM
I don't really see the point of marriage these days...if you're gonna be loyal, be that! No one seems to take it seriously and no one seems all that loyal any longer either. I can understand if you're doing it for the name change/kid thing I guess, but divorce costs alot too...usually more than the whole wedding!

Why not just hold a big party with all your friends/family to celebrate your committment? I would never get married...or give away my name...
 ComoLaFlor4U
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:19:16 AM
And yeah..I said I DO...and now we are apart..so I say I DID..but I would never ever put down the institution of marriage. And please all of you who want to comment on me being a hypocrite because I am divorced..save it! It wasn't the marriage vows that broke my marriage up or the marriage licence...so would I get married again? Yes!!!
 AI03™
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:25:27 AM
Sally!!!!!! Now you know I love ya girl... and that is cool you don't see the point in marriage.. but pleaseeeeeeeeee RESPECT that some of us DO!!!!!!!!!

Just because "no one seems to be loyal any longer" that is really those people's problem right?? Some of us want that bond, that loyalty. I'd never do it for the "name change/kid thing", I hardly see that as a "thing". Believe me, those of us that still believe in the institution of marriage, are hardly worried about "what divorce costs".

If a big party and friends/family is what you'd want without "marriage"? CONGRATS GIRL!!!! That's great. I respect your wants. Please, just respect ours.
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:26:51 AM
I don't knock anyone that does marry...just guess I get tired of it being shoved down the throat! EVERYONE would ask me an my last boyfriend when it was gonna happen....I'd say never, and good thing it didn't because after 7 years we still didn't last.

I just don't have the desire of that "day"...never have, but I just hope that the ones that do will actually work on things and stay together...especially if they have children.

PS..Love ya AI03!!! And no disrespect intended!!!
 AI03™
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:29:47 AM
I hear you... I guess those of us that still beleive feel the "it sucks and won't last" being shoved down our throats.. ya know?

What's right for some isn't for others.. I respect that.
 Broken_Soul
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:36:23 AM
I have a question for people on this "fourm" why in the world do yall bad mouth getting married i know EVERYBODYs marriage does not work out and it's, not all cooked up to what it seems like. But if two people are happy and they love eachother and THEY feel it is the right thing for them none of us should doubt, what they feel on the inside/outside for one another. Sure alot of married people end up getting divorce over small/major thing's but everybody's different and everybody's "love" isn't the same as anybody else's nobody can feel the same way for everybody in the world, i think you'll know IT when it come's you'll way and god has his OWN way of showing us rather something will work out or not or rather it's worth you and the one you love going through all the bs people have thrown at you two.

Good Luck To All, And I Hope The Best For You All
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:39:18 AM
Everyone has their desires and "wants"....guess it isn't so hard for me because I've never had that desire....and would NEVER give up my name. I respect others that do, but figure maybe I have become jaded about it because almost everyone I know is either divorced, or seperated...and I feel so bad for the children!!!
 Bandito
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:42:54 AM
Its not the marriage itself but the vows that you make in getting married that are significant. Those set of promises made to each other that allows for that ultimate connection.

I think I want get married again at some point. I always joked with my ex that I wanteed to get remarried again at our favourite winery with or without her. Do you think I should invite her?
 belgarion
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:46:20 AM

And yeah..I said I DO...and now we are apart..so I say I DID..but I would never ever put down the institution of marriage. And please all of you who want to comment on me being a hypocrite because I am divorced..save it! It wasn't the marriage vows that broke my marriage up or the marriage licence...so would I get married again? Yes!!!

Exactly!!!!

I have total respect for the institution of marriage, and would never begrudge anyone elses beliefs. It's so very hard at times when in writing to get your feelings accross as you miss the voice(sound) inflection that one puts into it.
 acburbank97
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 4:48:38 AM
I'm sorry...but after saying those vows in front of 500 family & firends...you DO feel a little different. It is considerably diff, than saying, "Hey, lets shack up!" Sorry, when your living together/ shacking whatever...walking out is no trouble whatsoever.
Yes, you should be sure of your feelings/ relationship before you get married...but to say it's just a ceremony is just not accurate and sells the instituion short.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why would you ever want to get married?