Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 valenciacityx
Msg: 355
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIANPage 12 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I am on a first name basis with my local farm butcher.
I grew up on a farm. Meat, its whats for dinner. And just to make sure that it is cooked the way I like it; you will do well to stay out of my kitchen.
 airy.fairy
Msg: 356
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/18/2010 3:55:33 AM
Yanno, I don't have a problem with the whole carnivore/herbivore thing, but being a vegetarian sorta has a real funny way of clouding your thinking. I have been vegetarian off and on over the past 25 years or so; still am from time to time. But what I really find ridiculous is this whole self-righteous thing these vegetarians have got going on. Like that completely stupid comment about how vegetarians are more likely to be monogamous. Puh-LEEZ. Get the hell over yourself! Non-sequitor du jour, man. But like I always say, there is no zealot like the recently converted, and most vegetarians go through this stage that is almost like being a Pentecostal snake-dancer from the hills of freakin' West Virginia.... Some of them never quite get over the high that comes with feeling inherently superior to others. Oh we taste better!! (WTF). Oh we're more monogamous! (Uh huh). Oh we're more compassionate!! (Um, no. Nice try, though.). Oh we're healthier!! (Some of the fattest, most unhealthy people I've ever seen were vegetarians). Oh we're saving the planet!! (Can you even begin to comprehend the depth of your imperial hubris?). Do you know why I know all this stuff? Because I've been there/done that, LOL.

Look. If you want to be a vegetarian, then go ahead and do it. Do it for you; do it to support your own personal values. Whatever. But for chrissake, someday soon, please stop fooling yourself that it makes you a better person than the rest of us. Because you SURE ain't fooling us reprobates who still eat meat.
 arwen52
Msg: 357
view profile
History
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/23/2010 5:54:27 PM
I've known at least two mixed marriages. She was vegetarian, he wasn't. One couple has been married about 30 years now, but she eventually (after over a decade as a vegetarian) became an omnivore for her own personal reasons. The other couple was married for at least 18 years. Their breakup had nothing to do with their eating habits.

It's possible. I'd prefer not to deal with it because I'm really into food and cooking. I cook vegetarian a lot, have been vegetarian, and have been a cook in two different vegetarian restaurants. I like guys who like my cooking and eat what I cook and aren't fussy. So, it would be a bit of a strain for me but if the guy was really right, I could handle it.
 Sun_Devil_92
Msg: 358
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/23/2010 7:24:09 PM
I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 2 years now and I enjoy it. However, like I tell others at work (it comes up since I bring to work my lunch - a bunch of fruit - and the question is invariably asked), "It is just my diet of choice." For me, I have been able to:

- Lose 80 pounds. (The overall result is no more orthotics and sore joints)
- Get off of cholesterol medicine.
- Get off of blood pressure medicine.

Notice that for me the key words to the previous sentence was: "for me." We all need to eat the diets that we decide and the rammifications that comes with such a diet. Note that I do believe that there are some drawbacks to my diet: for example, I know that if I was forced to eat meat these days I would be sick for a week. Also, I know that my diet is "much" more expensive than a meat-and-potatoes diet.

Would I think less of a person who eats meat? Heck no. Would I not date a person because they eat meat? Heck no again. And really I don't see the fire when it comes to making meals either. For example, when making spaghetti, you just make the sauce and put some aside for the vegetarians. Then add meat to the rest of the sauce for the others. I don't see the fire here.
 bsp71
Msg: 359
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/27/2010 10:08:20 PM
Yeah I lift weights and need my animal protein. Never did well with dates on vegans. I freaked one lady out when I ordered the super huge porterhouse steak and another ditched me after I told her I was a meat eater. Oh well.
 bsp71
Msg: 360
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/29/2010 10:15:17 PM
@snowpiskie- I agree and I love meat. Especially wild game like buffalo, venison, etc and organic grass fed beef without hormones. In fact this weekend for the holiday, I smoked and BBQ a nice roast and was fantastic with wine. And yes, ideology matters. Us carnivores probably will not mesh well with the hardcore vegans.
 Zikoris
Msg: 361
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/30/2010 12:49:10 PM
To the people who say a vegetarian diet is expensive, I have to say - you don't know what you're talking about. I've been a vegan for 11 years and my boyfriend and I spend about $50 a week on food(yes, for both of us - $25 each).
 Annie was here
Msg: 364
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/31/2010 12:22:37 PM
I love meat.I would never give it up.We as a species are naturally
omnivorous.Humans are no more "wrong" or "bad" for eating meat
then bears or primates are.That being said there are some meats like
red meats that I keep to a minimum.

Carnivorous or omnivorous creatures have always been the creatures
to develop the largest brains and become more intelligent as evolution
goes on. I have often wondered what would happen to us as a species if
everyone turned vegetarian over millions of years. It took us millions of
years to evolve as we are today by eating meat.What would happen by taking
it completely out of our diet. It would not be good unless one considers the
dumbing down of our species good.

MrFication
Msg: 365
view profile
History
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/31/2010 1:23:25 PM
^^^^^^^^
I think the anthropologists theorized meat led to the development of larger brains based on it being a much easier source of larger calories. I would think that today there is enough food (vegetarian) to acquire the amount of calories needed for brain function. Some strict vegetarian diets provide insufficient amounts of vitamins--B12 for instance.
Humans have alot of the meat-eater characteristics such as the teeth and eye placement....Depth perception vs field of view.....'Eyes on the sides, it runs and hides.....eyes in front, it hunts'.

I eat meat and it doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't, as long as it doesn't become an ongoing issue. Kind of like, I don't go to church and don't mind if someone else does--just don't try preaching to me. I've met plenty of cool vegetarians.

As for Tiger's post, I have known a few people that eat off a budget of $200 per month (for 4 people)--which would break down to $12.50/week/person. I thought "how in the world?", but some can do it--alot of spaghetti and mac n' cheese. Me, no way, I'm more like what you listed; plus I try to make sure my protein is between 200-300 grams per day.
 Zikoris
Msg: 366
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 5/31/2010 7:30:12 PM
I get grocery delivery from a local Vancouver provider - $27 for a bin of assorted veggies and fruits(ample for 2 people, varies depending on what local foods are in season). $23 for the rest - soy milk, bread, tofu, tahini, w/e I need that week. A few times a year I stock up on staple foods like grains, lentils, pasta, peanut butter, etc, which is free because of a rewards program with one of my credit cards. I prepare almost everything I eat from scratch, except bread - I've tried but it's not very good :S I would love to grow my own stuff, but I have a 400 sqf apartment with no yard of any sort.
 E_keys
Msg: 367
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/1/2010 8:13:51 PM
Eating meals together and eating the same meals were two separate issues in my marriage.

My husband had Crohn's disease, which is like having Lupus in the intestines. He was very choosy about what he could eat and he couldn't tolerate any surprises. We couldn't eat out together anywhere too fancy.

I had no desire to helpfully suggest that he should eat differently, and he would never have insisted that I eat his plain food. We were perfectly content to come home from work, and companionably prepare two meals in the kitchen, or sometimes make and share the spaghetti or tacos that we both liked.

Later when the marriage soured, and his meal was eaten in the tv room while mine was in the kitchen, after an argument or a sulk - that was really sad. It seemed emblematic of everything going wrong. One day not long after we'd decided on divorce, he was carrying a frozen pizza over to the tv watching the Mets game and I had a big feast of grilled fish, veggies, pasta salad, bread, olives, spread across the kitchen table for myself.

I sat down to eat it and started to cry! I said, "Next time I'm going to find someone who will eat with me. I'm not going the next hundred years without someone to eat with." He said: "I'm sorry! I know I wasn't good about that." But it wasn't really about the food.

Four years post divorce, now we go out every week or two and get pizza together for lunch. You never know what life will bring.
 Annie was here
Msg: 368
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/2/2010 6:47:30 AM

you really don't need to eat dead animals. There is absolutely no reason at all.

Because they taste good.Yummm!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 370
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/2/2010 12:13:44 PM
I've probably posted before in this thread, but was checking the boards again...

Going vegan was the best thing I EVER did, in my life.

Went vegan 7 1/2 years ago after being vegetarian for 13 years.

People who eat meat ought to try it. Try all the different vegan food before you dismiss it. You don't really know how awesome it is to be vegan until you've actually become vegan.

I eat great food - can eat vegan bacon, veggie burgers, veggie sausages... you really don't need to eat dead animals. There is absolutely no reason at all. I can eat vegan chocolate, drink soya milk, make my own soya cheese pizza... I can eat everything a meat eater does, just with no cruelty involved.

If you like the taste of a dead body, just try the alternatives - they taste relatively similar, but animals don't get abused in the process.

I'm happy that I can live my life knowing that I am not consuming any animal or part of an animal.

Seriously the best thing I ever did.

Jaysus. Glad that worked for you, but not sure where the self righteous preaching is
coming from. Vegetarianism is just not for everyone.
And while I'll admit I couldn't be in the slaughter business myself, I recognize that
there are families that actually make a living raising cattle and pigs etc. for just that
reason.

Just so you know, while PETA has many admirable qualities, you should also know
it's a pretty militant group, it often tramples over the rights of people to get their
point about animals across. They are also known to "humanely abuse" 97% or more
of all the cats and dogs in their care every year...ie they kill them rather than care for
them. They spend the bulk of their TAX EXEMPT budget every year on advertising,
advertising against drinking milk, hunting and eating meat. I wouldn't send PETA a
dime, I am however a regular contributor to SPCA and MSPCA.

I have a heart...and I care...but then I also have a brain...and it works!

Zikoris
Msg: 371
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/2/2010 2:24:27 PM
Most vegetarians don't take supplements. Meats have a decent amount of minerals but don't do too well in the vitamin department at all really, so if you're depending on them for that I hope you enjoy scurvy. Thank you for your extra effort in eating that chicken, will you kill and eat a few extra animals for me on a daily basis so I can laugh when you get heart disease/suffer a stroke?
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 372
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/2/2010 2:33:05 PM
In response to the latest posts I wont just make my usual smart butt comments.

I was a vegetarian from the ages of 14 through 21 when I became vegan. I did not start eating dairy products or meat again until the age of 34. I was in a serious car wreck and went through four years of therapy, and still continued to have seizure activity. Upon the advice of my wonderful Neurologist I tried a diet that was for children.
After years of treatment with different diets, medications, and physical therapy you will be surprised at what worked. I introduced MEATS to my diet, and dairy products. I did go from a size three to a size ten and its hard to keep it off. A diet higher in fat and complex proteins stopped my seizure activity within two weeks. I have been seizure free for over 12 years. Count them... 12 all you vegetarians.
I do eat a raw diet with mostly vegetables, but I do need that rare steak. Even friends notice I have clearer short term memory functioning when I eat more meat.

...that does include my favorite tube variety...
 Annie was here
Msg: 373
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/2/2010 3:00:18 PM
Thank you for your extra effort in eating that chicken, will you kill and eat a few extra animals for me on a daily basis so I can laugh when you get heart disease/suffer a stroke?

Jeebus creebus vegetarians on average have to be the most cruel
and heartless people there are.I can't think of anyone,even my enemies,who
I would laugh at should they develop a disease.As for chicken causing heart
disease,how about you show us some proof of that because as of yet it's high
fat diets with little to no exercise that do that.
 Zikoris
Msg: 374
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/2/2010 3:14:19 PM
Well, developing a disease due to attempting to smite me is a bit of a unique case - hell, I'd say something similar to any smoker who said "You don't smoke? I'm going to smoke extra to make up for it!"

Heart disease: Vegetarians have less of it. Here's some literature if you feel like reading. I like it because all the references to specific studies are included.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/2009_ADA_position_paper.pdf
 Zikoris
Msg: 377
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/3/2010 11:34:10 AM
Oh, so at 23 you were fully independent, living alone, working and paying your way through school, had traveled and lived in at least a few provinces, and had serious long term relationships? I'm sorry you didn't have a clear picture of who you were as a person until later, but try to realize we're not all like that. For example - I know a number of childfree(actively choosing not to have children ever) people of all ages, most of who've known since they were teenagers or younger that they never wanted kids(now in their 50s or 60s). Believe me, if I didn't have a damn clear picture of who I am and what I want in life it would have been absolutely impossible [to convince a doctor to sterilize me.

Money-wise, I worked for the last few years at a very good job doing investigation work for a collection agency. I quit a couple months ago to pursue schooling and a new line of work, and am living off my savings. My expenses are next to nothing anyways since I live cheaply.
 pirateheaven
Msg: 379
view profile
History
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/3/2010 12:47:29 PM
My sister is a vegetarian but she is not judgmental of others who indulge in meat. Why would someone feel compelled to want to dictate what other people eat?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 380
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/3/2010 12:54:23 PM
When it comes down to it...it doesn't matter what your background is
and why you're a meat eater or a vegetarian.
What does matter is the kind of person you are. And a caring, kind person
would never laugh at someone else's misfortunes or wish bad things
to happen to them just because they don't share the same philosphy.

Several vegetarians or vegans on this thread come across as feeling superior
because of their diet and they have actually wished meat eaters strokes or
other misfortunes. The reality is, many of the non-vegetarians and non-vegans
are just as healthy and happy as their counterparts.

I really doesn't matter where you've been or what you've done...in the end
it matters who you are. Part of being an adult accepts the inevitablity that not
everyone will see things as you do, and when they don't, there's no need really
to drag your cause (and yourself) down with disparaging remarks.

That of course is my opinion. I've found there are radicals in every group
and organization, and they tend to (unfortunately) give the entire group or
organization a bad name.
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 381
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/3/2010 6:53:35 PM
One for the vegie-converted..
Just wondered, if a meat-eater was pondering about becoming a vegan/vegetarian, how do they avoid succumbing when the delicious aroma of meat is being cooked nearby. Like an ex-smoker who is tempted when standing next to somebody smoking?
 MrFication
Msg: 382
view profile
History
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/3/2010 7:00:56 PM
There are a few that I know, and after a while the smell makes them physically sick. Like ex-smokers that can't be near someone that even has the smell of smoke on their clothes.
 Sun_Devil_92
Msg: 384
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/4/2010 4:45:16 PM
There are a few that I know, and after a while the smell makes them physically sick. Like ex-smokers that can't be near someone that even has the smell of smoke on their clothes.

Yes, that's pretty much it - MrFication is right.

More specifically, what happens to your body (or it I may say my body) is that after a few years, when you eat something that you haven't in a while, you body reacts to it. For me, that is the case for meat. I have found that if I "fall off the wagon", I'm sick for about five days - it destroys my digestive tract. Thus, it becomes aversion therapy ... something that you to tantalize you in the past makes you want to throw up in your mouth now whenever you smell it.
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 385
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/5/2010 5:00:12 AM
^^^ That's interesting. Gee didn't know it could be dangerous to become a vegetarian if one then wanted to revert back in futre

(not laughing at your misfortune by the way, sounds awful..)
 vertical95
Msg: 386
MEAT EATER Vs VEGETARIAN
Posted: 6/5/2010 9:25:04 AM
I know a woman who is a vegetarian. She is happily married to a meat eater. I think it can work if both people respect the other person's tastes and you are willing to make some compromise. Such as going to restaurants that serve quality food for both types of eaters.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >