Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you ag      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Just_2_b_me
Msg: 76
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?Page 4 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?

Sex

raptor_red
Msg: 77
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?
Posted: 12/12/2007 8:26:05 PM
Had my oatmeal this morning, just like I do every morning. I always eat my breakfast at work - I just keep a box of oatmeal in my cabinet. Takes less than a minute to make.
Also in my cabinet are cans of Mandarin oranges, which I'll eat sometimes.

I do believe it's the most important meal of the day - cause it fuels you up and gives you energy (depending on what you eat).
 TallBlondeSailor
Msg: 78
Posted: 12/12/2007 8:58:26 PM
Yes I agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Students who eat brakfast before school have improved cognitive function, and do better on exams. More importantly, what you eat is key to this question.

I will refrain from what constitutes the best breakfast because we all have our own metabolic differences.

'However, I will state that if you have high fructose corn syrup in your drink, refined white flour and granulated sugar in your meal, you will be hungry and sleepy a few hours later due to the blood sugar levels peaking and crashing.

Low gycemic foods made with whole grains (multi-grain is deceiving, but still better than white refined) and complete protein foods like a boiled egg give you brain power, and sustained energy. You feel satified eating pure, organic, fresh wholesome foods. Sugary foods and greasy fatty foods are not the way to start the day. Eating nothing is worse. We need to be mindful of our blood sugar levels that are low upon rising.

I find this is good for my body type.

A cup of coffee - multivitamin
4 oz fresh orange juice
1/2 cup dried whole grain oatmeal - cooked in 1 cup fat-free milk
with a tespoon added wheat germ, a teaspoon added oat bran, tablespoon added dried cranberries, and added 4 raw almonds in the pot. Stir for 5 minutes and cover for 10 minutes to get creamy. I love to add cinnamon as it acts as an anibacterial.

Eaten at 6 a.m. this will satisfy me all morning and not give hunger pangs until noon.
but I drink about 12 oz, water and eat a piece of fruit around 10 a.m. to keep me going.

There is nothing worse than leaving the house hugry with a cup of coffee....that is my ticket to head straight for a dunking donut......and a mid morning crash.

hope this helps.
in loving kindness,
Linda
 psunit
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/22/2007 7:47:41 AM
I am also guilty here!!! My breakfast consisted of coffee. I will eat breakfast during the week but don't always do breakfast on the weekends. When my kids are around, we always have things like breakfast tacos or homemade belgian waffles but now that I am by myself most of the time, I get rather lazy!
 Lanie123
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/22/2007 9:47:13 AM
Yes yes and more yes!

Oatmeal with a banana or raisins on top! Great and keeps you slim and ...other things!
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2008 7:05:37 PM
Today I had, some corn chips, a spoonful of peanut butter and a water bottle, I was in a hurry to meet a gal friend to go to an art show 60 miles away. Again not normal, but not abnormal either. Food is food, the body doesn't differentiate between breakfast and dinner. Jon

Dancecard, I would suspect we would be great friends, it looks like we have a lot in common. Boating, dancing, outdoors, old cars, educated, etc.
 opnmydm
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/9/2008 1:31:00 PM
it is true, your biggest meal of the day is supposed to be breakfast..then cut the remaining meal portions down as the day progresses. i had some pesto pasta this morning, not sure why, i just craved it..and some juice..
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2008 2:50:28 PM
Today it was a cup of cool water in a bowl, a couple teaspoons of powdered milk, stirred up, add a couple teaspoons of grape nuts type cereal and then top with a cup of raisin bran cereal. Stir and eat, that's more normal since I've been living on the sailboat and not using refrigeration. I'm in Kansas today and not on the boat but still I use powdered milk, it's cheaper and easier to keep around. I think it tastes great, and does a good job of getting the day started.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2008 8:44:20 PM
Times have changed since I last posted....

Organic whole grain cereal...add 2 tbsp. of organic whole ground flax seed, a banana and fortified (organic) brown rice "beverage"

Add a couple of pieces of Silver Hills brand bread with almond or cashew butter
and a "no sugar added" type jam (although I'd rather have raspberries or strawberries
from my own plants) makes a good start to the day.

A couple of cups of fresh ground coffee always comes first!
 LookiHere
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/9/2008 9:54:29 PM
Some sugar snap pea's, a sweet & salty peanut butter bar, and some tea. Kinda changes daily tho...
 LookiHere
Msg: 86
 satx78218
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 4:58:56 PM
My own experience in losing 50 pounds twice is confirmed by this article:

Big Breakfast Helped Women Lose Weight

18 Jun 2008

Researchers from Venezuela and the US found that women who had a big breakfast packed with carbohydrates and protein, and then followed a low carbohydrate, low calorie diet for the rest of the day, were more successful at losing weight and keeping the weight off than women on strict low carbohydrate diets.

The study was presented at The Endocrine Society's 90th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, yesterday, Tuesday 17th June, by lead author Dr Daniela Jakubowicz, of the Hospital de Clinicas, Caracas, Venezuela. Plans to publish the paper in a journal were not announced.

Jakubowicz, who worked on the study with US scientists from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, said that:

"Most weight loss studies have determined that a very low carbohydrate diet is not a good method to reduce weight."

She explained that the low carbohydrate diet, "exacerbates the craving for carbohydrates and slows metabolism. As a result, after a short period of weight loss, there is a quick return to obesity."

Only 5 per cent of low carbohydrate diets are successful after two years, and most of them do not address addictive eating impulses, said Jakubowicz.

The findings of this study, suggested the researchers, showed that the long term effectiveness of a diet depends on how well it creates a sense of fullness and brings down cravings for "carbs".

For the study, the researchers enrolled 94 obese, physically inactive women and put 46 on a very low carb diet and 48 on their new diet for 8 months. Both diets were low in fat and total calories, but they had different ways of taking in carbohydrate over the day.

The women on the very low carb diet ate 1,085 calories a day allotted as 17 grams carbohydrates, 51 grams protein, and 78 grams of fat. On this diet, breakfast was the smallest meal, comprising 290 calories and only 7 grams of carbohydrate, such as bread, fruit, cereal and milk. Also, the women on this diet could only eat up to 12 grams of protein in the morning, such as meat and eggs.

On the new "big breakfast" diet, the women ate 1,240 calories a day alloted as 97 grams carbohydrates, 93 grams protein, and 46 grams of fat (compared with the other diet, these women ate less fat, but more carbohydrate and protein every day). On this diet, breakfast was the largest meal, while lunch comprised 395 calories (including 34 grams of carbs and 28 and 13 of protein and fat respectively), and dinner contained only 235 calories (5 grams of carbs, and 18 and 26 of protein and fat respectively).

For the first 4 months, the study focused on weight loss, and on weight maintenance for the second 4 months. The results showed that:

* After 4 months, the women on the very low carb diet had lost an average of 28 pounds (12.7 kilos).

* After 4 months, the women on the big breakfast diet had lost an average of nearly 23 pounds (10.4 kilos).

* At this point, there was no statistically significant difference in the weight loss profiles of the two groups, despite these apparently large differences in the averages, said the researchers.

* After 8 months, the women on the very low carb diet had regained an average of 18 pounds (8.2 kilos).

* After 8 months, the women on the big breakfast diet had lost another 16.5 pounds (7.5 kilos).

* Overall, the women on the big breakfast diet lost more than 21 per cent of their body weight, while the women on the very low carb diet only lost 4.5 per cent.

* The women on the big breakfast diet reported feeling less hungry, especially before lunch, and they reported having fewer cravings for carbs compared with the women in the very low carb group.

The researchers suggested that the big breakfast diet was more effective at helping the women lose weight over the period of the study because it controlled appetite and cravings for carbohydrate foods containing sugar and starch.

Jakubowicz also said the big-breakfast diet was healthier than a very low carb diet because dieters ate more fruit and therefore got enough fiber and vitamins. She has been using the diet successfully with patients for over 15 years, she said.

Source: The Endocrine Society.

Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/111734.php
 psunit
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:02:03 PM
My standard breakfast fare is............................COFFEE and lots of it!!
 seekerof
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:39:06 PM
I never skip breakfast...

Or lunch...or even dinner...

I am still on a "diet" following the Nutrisystem way...

Today I had wheat and honey pancake and deli ham...

Tomorrow I will have oatmeal and boiled egg...
 whatsallthis
Msg: 90
Yes!
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:20:25 PM
Strange but true: Leftover chicken and dumplings.
 teeajay
Msg: 91
Yes!
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:55:48 PM
Eating a well balanced breakfast is especially important for the energy needed to get through the day. Your body will have 12 hours roughly to absorb all the nutrients, and so, this makes very good sense. Besides, skipping breakfast after having not eaten for 8 or more hours previously is BAD for your health and can contribute to diabetes, heart disease, or both and often leads to obesity.

One thing for sure... the most important meal of the day is NOT dinner. In a standard cycle, eating a meal after 8 p.m. (or even earlier) should be discouraged, especially if you're going to be in bed (sleeping) a few hours later.

I used to be a terrible eater, but have recently gotten on a health kick, hoping to reverse the damage caused by years of dietary indiscretions.

This morning, I had 2 eggs (minus the yolk) with flax-seed toast (low-fat spread) and a smoothie made with blueberries, cherries, red grapes, a peach and low-fat, lactose-free milk. Got my protein with plenty of antioxidants, fiber, while simultaneously minimizing the purines (staving off gout), and also drinking 10-12 glasses of water daily. Been on this regimen for 2 weeks. Along with 30 minutes on the treadmill every morning, I've so far dropped 6 pounds.
 odinwoden
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:56:18 PM
Nothing fancy.

Diced pineapple, few handfuls of almonds, energy drink.

Was still hungry so had some leftover beef stew as breakfast v 1.5.

But, this thread has me craving breakfast...might make breakfast for dinner tomorrow and go all out (eggs, bacon, grits, OJ.)
 untamed one
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:57:41 PM
Since i never believe what THEY say , coffee and more coffee til i get hungry usually around 10 am and then another meal around 4-5 pm , unless there's a date , then 6-7 pm , no later than that .
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/24/2008 2:00:13 PM
Yes. I agree. Consequently, I had three cups of coffee.
 texasbaby
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 4:45:56 PM
Yellowknife ~ Destination of the Ice Road Truckers! OMG, it looks cold there!

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 7:01:06 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up,, I'll watch if I can find the right channel.. I LOVE that show... My kind of reality TV.. lol

tb
 Rosemary24
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 11:22:46 AM
Yes, Breakfast is very important, kick starts your low blood sugar, and helps you to lose weight (I saw a study where the researchers found that having breakfast was crucial to weight loss.) Today, I decided to change it up a bit, had a morning bun that I bought at the Farmer's Market yesterday, with hazelnut coffee, and an orange. But, usually, I have shredded wheat & bran, plain cheerios type of cereal, and fresh berries, now a days, I'm eating blueberries. With aforementioned hazelnut coffee, and unsweetened soy milk. Oh, and an orange.
 cowtrucker
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:13:11 PM
Oh, it is the most important meal of the day. It's what supplies your day with the majority of calories and energy to complete the tasks ahead of you.

I usually have oatmeal or maltomeal. Sometimes Fruit or yogurt, and sometimes cereal (usually special K).

I don't wear a watch on my belly, so just about any type of solid food is usually acceptable. I'm a little more picky for dinner and supper... I try to eat a light supper, and a moderately light dinner in the summer.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 texasbaby
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 10:16:16 PM
luv u more ~ I can't believe you don't have toast drizzled with honey, as part of your breakfast every day.

tb
 arwen52
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2008 8:22:58 AM
Whether I believe it or not, there's plenty of evidence to support that. What do I usually have for breakfast? Often the same foods I have for lunch or dinner. Or yogurt. Or a soy shake. I'm hypoglycemic and function better on a high protein breakfast.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?