Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 71
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl? Page 2 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
canis lupus=gray wolf
canis latrans=coyote
 Test_Pilot
Msg: 74
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 2:08:04 PM
I have three pitbulls that I love like children and if a girl even hinted I should get rid of them she would be out the door so fast her head would spin.

Dogs are the most loyal, loving creatures on this planet. Treat them well and they will love you unconditionally. They don't care how you look, where you've been, how bad of a day you've had, whether you have morning breath or kissed another dog.
 tictactoe
Msg: 78
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:11 PM
anatomynurse

There is obviously a vast difference between having the company of a woman and the companionship of a pet. What this whole thread has been about is giving up a pet for the sake of a woman ( even a man ). Knowing full well when you enter a relationship the partner has a pet, and then demanding they make that decission isnt fair. Sorry to say in this case the pet would win out. I admire the commitment many of the posters here have given thier pet / friend.

And yes, happy trails it is . I also ride a beautiful horse...
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 80
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 9:32:16 PM
ohhh... I swore to be nice tonight... therefore... whatever it was that ... Nurse.something said I'm just going to ignore...

Ticktactoe has already explained what this thread was about and obviously that OTHER person just don't get it. Or is just not the same type person as EVERYONE else on this thread has been.. her loss...
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 84
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:17:04 AM
Just call me a selfish.. self center... doggie lover.... I was just sitting here thinking about responding to daisie (something funny of course) but all the sudden I found myself asking, now what would I give up for a man...

One of my turtles.... nope then the other one might get lonely

One of my CD's.... nope, if doesn't like all my music that's fine he doesn't have to listen

A pair of my shoes that he don't like.... no, I just wont wear them with him

Sell my horses.... THAT won't ever happen

Give up time with my girl friends.... no way in hell

And of course getting rid of ANY of my dogs or other critters... well... it just wouldn't happen.

So where does that leave me, what does that make me? I guess that means I have to make sure my partner and I have alot in common. That means I want a man that does not have the need to change me. And of course, a man who won't mind Peanut crawling under the covers and sticking his little cold wet nose on his AZZZZ.... lol... Is there such a man?
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 85
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:24:40 AM
@daisie.. that is too funny.. dead ducky....

I had a rottie once, and he LOVED stuffed animals. He would even bury them so the other dogs couldn't find it.

Once, a friend stopped by after work and she had her neighbors little girl with her. We had been outside but we both walked inside for a beer and told the little girl to stay in her chair with her little doll and we'd be right back. We're inside and all the sudden the little girl screams and cries... we ran outside (my dogs weren't used to children)... She said "dog took my doll".. ZACK the rottie had walked up to her as sweetly as he could (he was a big baby) and literally took the doll out of her lap and hands and was tryign to hide it. I thought we would die, the poor little girl was just crying and Zack was just as happy with his new little doll as he could be.

I didn't think my lab would EVER get out of the puppy chewing stage.. now she is so laid back and sweet... so I ask myself as I get home everyday and see new "pieces" of what used to be my belongings... or plants... or WHATEVER MY GERMAN SHEPARD puppy can get her teeth into why I got another puppy.... I've always had shepards and never had one who like to chew stuff up like this one. Oh well... just need to put stuff higher up.
 Sniper308
Msg: 87
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 6:40:49 AM
Hooyahhh:

Let me be clear. Dump the dame, keep the dog.

Besides my mandatory requirements, I have a final test. I've especially told young guys I know, contemplating marriage, to do this too. It's the last step to know if she's "right."

If she can't get along with babies, puppies "AND" kittens, she's not the right one. It doesn't matter if she doesn't WANT ONE OF HER OWN, she has to be able to get along with them. Why? What is important here? Heart. I want to see her "heart." I can tell, after watching a woman interact with babies, puppies, and kittens, for a reasonable time... whether she's got a good heart or not. If she fails in any ONE of those areas... she's just a waste of flesh.

I have a four-year-old female Black Lab, JoJo, and she is my total life. I love her more than anything. I brought her home at five weeks and she's every bit a part of "me" as any human could ever hope to be.

Lastly, Mr. Hooyahhh... ask yourself this question... would your dog make you decide? I know the answer and I'm sure you do, too.

You do what you want, but I don't see it as a "choice" at all.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 88
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 6:48:52 AM
I simply dont date anyone who is not a dog lover - simple! Would never ever consider someone who was jealous about my pet. Shutter!!! Better yet if he has his own dog!
 Sniper308
Msg: 90
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:27:42 AM
"I" understand.

Great story!
 Sniper308
Msg: 91
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:46:42 AM
I didn't think my lab would EVER get out of the puppy chewing stage.

I used to affectionately refer to my JoJo as "my little buzz saw." She would eat (gnaw on, actually) ANYTHING in the house. Even today, I have a ceramic soup bowl covering the cable TV connection where the wire goes into the wall because I'm afraid she might want to finish the job she started.

I went through three... count 'em, THREE... TV remotes, because she LOVED eating those things! Now... the first one, okay, I understand... it was my fault for leaving it somewhere she could get to it, and, well hey, puppies chew... that's what they do.

The second one, not a month later... well, damn, I guess I got careless... so what if it's $35 a pop to replace these things... I love her madly... "whatever."

The third one... not even a WEEK later... pieces everywhere... "OOOOOOOOOOooooooooKAY! Fine!" So, back to the cable TV place to get another remote... they know me by name now... and the gal tells me "Oh, yes, dogs LOVE to chew on remotes!" (No ca-ca, lady, thanks for the heads-up.) So... I go back home with remote #4. A day or two later, I actually caught JoJo starting to chomp on the remote... and I picked it up and, as firmly but as "lovingly-restrainingly" (???) as I could, I whapped her once on her "no-nose" and told her in my most testosterone-filled, pissed off voice, "NO! NO! NO!" and then I whapped the remote a billion times on the carpeted floor, yelling "NO! NO! NO!"... and that was the last time she EVER messed with a TV remote. ("Thank God!" $$$)

Another story... and keeping in mind she'd chew everything, my little buzz saw... the coffee table, chairs, wires, GUN STOCKS (!!!), whatever. One night, I was watching a movie on Cinemax or whatever, and I heard... "gnaw-gnaw-gnaw." Well, I knew it was her, and I "knew" it was just her chomping on one of her "chewy treats" -- a pig's ear (God she loves those!) or a rawhide bone, or whatever. No big deal. "Gnaw-gnaw-gnaw." No biggie, I'm watching my movie. After a while of this, though, I thought... "Boy, that chewy treat sure is lasting a long, long time. Never had one last this long before"... and I finally turned my head and... JoJo was gnawing on the baseboard of the hallway opening in the wall!!!

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!! HONEY! Don't eat 'Daddy's' house!!! NO!!!"

You know, it's just like with kids, as far as I'm concerned. You either love them or you don't. You either accept things like chewed furniture and such... oh yeah, and chewed carpet which, someday, I'll need to replace (in the meantime, the chewed spot is taped down by a zillion layers of industrial-type Scotch tape)... or you don't. "Love" means accepting chewed coffee tables that cost you an arm and a leg, and things like that.

My '98 Durango is TOTALLY covered, "now," with Mossy Oak "New Breakup" because... well, the "Oh boy! Daddy's home! Daddy's home!" car scratches were getting so bad, people were asking me if gang members were keying my car. Repainting would have cost $7K, CamoClad (www.camoclad.com) only cost $2600. It's scratch resistant, will never rust or peel off, and even if she does jump on the Durango... it won't show. A friend said I should have just shot her. He hates dogs, what does HE know. Anyway, EVERYONE loves my camo Durango and I get a lot of compliments on it.

I know... some people would have beaten their dog, or whatever... but you know? Love is love. To have someone THAT happy that "Daddy's home" results in a scratched up car, well... I don't know, to me... it's nice to be missed that much when I'm away at work. What's $2600 anyway? It's just money. How can you put a pricetag on someone you love with all your heart?
 Test_Pilot
Msg: 95
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 1:23:52 PM
^^^^^^ LMAO... so true!
 dceeeee
Msg: 102
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:57:45 PM
tictactoe, when I read that story, I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I've heard it before, but it was a long time ago, and still affected me the same. Thanks for sharing it with us...

Mesnafugal, Daisy, and Ainsel...your stories cracked me up!!! I laughed out loud!!

Redamber, I loved your 'Rules'

I had a Chow, that my daughter and I loved to death, but it bit someone and the Humane Society advised me to put it to sleep. (Actually did MORE than advise me to...she talked me into it by SCARING me). It was the hardest thing we ever did, and we still think about that dog. Since then, I've heard of dogs having their teeth pulled to prevent this, but I had never heard of that option...and I thought people who worked for the animal shelter were supposed to be animal lovers??? I have a Pomeranian now...got a small dog, so I wouldn't have to go through that again. The Chow was so smart and well trained...this dog is untrainable...flunked obedience school, (but they gave her the diploma, anyway)...but I still love her. What she lacks in brains, she makes up for in being loveable. She will lick ya to death...I have a mat at the door that says..."WARNING: Dog can't hold her licker!"

My dog, too, went through the chewing stage...one day I was talking on the phone long distance, and all of a sudden got cut off...looked down to see my Chow with the phone cord in his mouth. Still, that's a cheap fix, and the only problem I had.

Awwwww Sniper, I've read some of your other posts, but this one really showed your 'sensitive' side. I was rather surprised!

O/T..Whenever someone emails me, I will let them know that I'm a pet lover,(BIG TIME), in the first couple emails...if they can't handle that, I would hope they would have the decency not to try to come into my life. If they try to get me to make a choice, they will LOSE. ( I could promise not to get another one if they don't like dogs much, but I won't get rid of one that is already here!)

I don't do ultimatums anyway...that shows insecurity...now if the ultimatum was for my benefit, that's different, but I have any vices, so I don't see that happening.

~DC~
 Tin_Man
Msg: 106
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/30/2006 1:25:19 PM
Boy... does this thread ever bring back memories...

Several years (lifetimes?) ago, I started dating a woman... She intitially stated she did not like dogs... And my response was (as I suspect would be the response of many loyal pet owners) but you will like mine.

She said said she thought she had allergies... and that if we were going to be together, the dog would have to go. My response was that the dog was not going anywere until all medical options had been explored and exhausted, AND that we were far enough along in the relationship that we knew we were going to be together for the rest of time. I should have known then... live and learn.

Although she did come to enjoy the animals (both a dog, Lucy, and a cat, Michelle), it turned out that we were not meant for each other. I have thought to myself many times... were would I be now if I had given them up.

And for those who are so decieved as to thinking animals are not smart...

Last summer during a long weekend, I became very ill with a flu, or perhaps three (head flu, chest flu, and stomach fllu) of them. Lucy, the sheherd/ladb cross "checked" on me every 15 to 30 mins... It is amazing what she can tell just from a couple of sniffs... If my temperature was too high, she would remove the blankets from me. (I was too weak to do so). If that did not get the job done, she would lick my forehead untill I cooled down to a reasonable temp. (The only time she has ever licked anyones face). If I was cold, she would pull the blankets back on. If that was not enough, she would crawl under the blankets and cuddle close untill I warmed up.

I believe if not for her care, I could have ended up with a stroke or some other high temp induced injury... or perhaps not made it all.

Yes, I probably should have gone to a hospital... but this "flu" hit me so hard and so quickly... I did not have time to really consider it before I did not have the strength to arrange it.

Knowing all this... give up my dog... Not a chance of a snowball in hell.

T_M
 ab_qt
Msg: 107
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/30/2006 1:41:05 PM
If a women can't accept your dog as a 'package' deal, then she isn't worth your time.
 crystalise
Msg: 108
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:47 PM
I would never make a guy give up his dog. But then I love dogs, In fact once I knew a guy and I liked his dog better than him ... : )

As for any other pets, if i had a problem with them eg rodents and reptiles I would have to admit, would creep me out and I wouldnt like it. I would probably leave him to it and do the walking myself. I dont think its a nice thing to ask anyone to change anything major about themselves. This should be sorted out at the point of dating anyway. Ulitmatums are never good.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 109
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:46:13 PM
dc... I do not do ultimatums either... I'll tell the person... "don't make me do it, you WON'T like the outcome!"

I've been doing stuff before and 'heard' a puppy chewing something, you can get how made when they just look up at you with the shredded whatever under their little paws with those sweet eyes like.. ."who.. me?.. you mean this wasn't my new chew toy".. oops...
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 110
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:48:47 PM
Well.. I actually had a rat... would NEVER have thought it... but it died... AFTER it tore up my friggin house!! Yes it realized that being FREE was more fun than being locked up so he escaped.. and chewed holes in my wall so it could hide from me.. grrrr...

Reptiles.. I have two turtles.. but I do NOT do snakes!! I could not date a man who was into snakes.. no way.. no how.. no no no no nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Just ain't happening!! I mean.. what the H*ll is cuddly about a snake.. NOTHING!!! yuk...
 ndt
Msg: 111
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:51:35 AM
I said astalavista to this woman that prized her dog over me - good riddence
 ndt
Msg: 113
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:59:36 AM
As they say "If you want a friend - Get a Dog."

At least with a Dog you'll always have a friend there to greet you no matter what.
 Vendome
Msg: 115
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/4/2006 7:24:25 AM
You people are too funny
 jiszam
Msg: 117
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/8/2006 9:12:17 PM
I like my girl to act like a dog.. especially the begging..
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 120
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:10:27 PM
I do not believe just because someone puts their dog first they have a mental problem. However people who think that.. well... may be a wee bit off in the head.... In fact I do believe that it is a FACT that people who have pets LIVE LONGER!! Dogs help some people to a point they do not need a doctor, but being such an animal lover.. I'm sure you know all about that right? geez...
 Sniper308
Msg: 122
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:06:15 AM
There are those who understand and those who don't. There are the people who think those of us who would choose the companionship of a dog over that of a human are sick; there are those of us who think that those OTHER people are heartless pricks and b**ches. There's no possibility of compromise and I don't expect any. You're happy thinking I'm a mentally-unbalanced individual; fine, I'm totally okay with that. I'm likewise absolutely content knowing you have no soul and are only motivated by your libido. You will look for partners who are equally lacking in soul and who are only focused on getting laid. I will look for a partner who has room in her heart for both me AND my dog.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 123
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/10/2006 7:44:23 PM
There is always the "Agree to Disagree"... I know that I will never change my mind about my animals therefore the person I settle down with will have to love animals.. .ALOT of animals!! LOL
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 124
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 2/11/2006 1:06:47 AM
chivalo.... I am very sorry about Bear.. she sounds like a wonderful doggie. I have had to put my dogs down before and it's so hard to do. I always sleep with them the night before and love on them all night and talk to them. I go into the room with them, so when they "go to sleep" I'm the last person they see and they are relaxed. Makes me sad that you are going through this alone. My heart goes out to you. And yes, a wordless dog can help us in ways words cannot. Good Luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >