Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Growing old gracefully or just growing old?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 breath~
Msg: 137
Growing old gracefully or just growing old?Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Darn if I remember if I've already posted in this thread or not.

But it wouldn't matter if I did...
because last month or next month I may answer differently anyway!

Some days I feel ungracefully old
and some days I feel ungracefully young
and some days I feel just plain old
and some days I feel ancient
and some days I feel wonderfully young
and some days I don't even bother with feeling any of that shit, I just BE.
 Feasterner
Msg: 138
Growing old gracefully or just growing old?
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:15:18 PM

Men grow old gracefully but women just grow old

I do see that many women gracefully and intelligently grow younger...LOL!!! Few men are like women to do better. When many men are over 60, they just get more retarded ..........................................................................................................
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:23:27 PM
^^^ I soooooooooo disagree with this...a man my age is the hottest type of man out there for me imho...their confidence is real, not imagined, they know who they are...they dont put up with bs and they just have a way of looking at you that says...they know...

maybe it is just the type of man you are attracting?
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 140
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:26:02 PM
^^I agree, Sapph.
I've been attracted to guys in their late 40s-early 50s since I was in my 20s. I've just caught up with my own age group.
Growing old gracefully is a state of mind rather than physical - although keeping fit doesn't hurt. It's all about being able to accept and appreciate yourself.
 Feasterner
Msg: 141
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:36:32 PM
OP talked about a man who was turning into his 60s. I don't think that any woman of 20s is interested in a man who is 60s. However, there are some young girls who are interested in old men's money..................................................

I soooooooooo disagree with this...a man my age is the hottest type of man out there for me imho

A man of 50 is very different than a man who is 60. I never find a man who is 60 has been attractive to me!!!
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 142
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:48:11 PM
^^Babe, hate to tell you, but that 50-year-old will be a 60-year-old one day. My suggestion: trade him in for two 30-year-olds. Boom boom, said Basil Brush..
 Feasterner
Msg: 143
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:53:11 PM
Yes! I said there were few (not ZERO) who could do better than many women and keep being attractive until 60s. You are smart one and won't treat anyone of 60 right to double 30s................LOL!
 DallasSBF
Msg: 144
Posted: 2/24/2010 2:44:02 AM
I believe women fight the aging process which makes them look like they are aging gracfully. While most men ,,,,,,,,,,,
 MsMicki
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 12:20:07 PM
I'm not fighting anything.........I'm just living my life.
Some days gracefully.........some days covered in mud up to my elbows!
 damassteel
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 1:22:46 PM

I'm not fighting anything.........I'm just living my life.
Some days gracefully.........some days covered in mud up to my elbows!

I think love you.
 Chasing~Cars
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/25/2010 1:43:24 PM

I believe women fight the aging process which makes them look like they are aging gracfully. While most men ,,,,,,,,,,,

Nothing looks less graceful than a 50yr old trying to look thirty though. I do agree with you though, many men let them selves go, just as much as women do.

Grace in aging isn’t about looks, it’s in comfortable acceptance of who you are, where you are. There is grace in confidence within ones self, you can’t fake grace, you either have it or you don’t, yet the fashion industry tries to sell it though.

Grace doesn’t give up, it doesn’t park it’s fat azz on the couch watching TV, it doesn’t blame others, it doesn’t look for validation and it doesn’t demand any thing, grace lives every day as it is and evolves.
 damassteel
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 1:50:59 PM

Nothing looks less graceful than a 50yr old trying to look thirty though. I do agree with you though, many men let them selves go, just as much as women do.

Grace in aging isn’t about looks, it’s in comfortable acceptance of who you are, where you are. There is grace in confidence within ones self, you can’t fake grace, you either have it or you don’t, yet the fashion industry tries to sell it though.

Grace doesn’t give up, it doesn’t park it’s fat azz on the couch watching TV, it doesn’t blame others, it doesn’t look for validation and it doesn’t demand any thing, grace lives every day as it is and evolves.

You too
 marengo38
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/25/2010 2:50:25 PM

Nothing looks less graceful than a 50yr old trying to look thirty

I gotta tell you, I've seen a few gals who could carry it off. Isn't today's mantra, "You're as young as you feel?" Face it, we're all trying to look younger. In my case, it's so they won't be shoveling dirt on me just yet. (see, I'm still movin'.)
 tryncatchme
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:09:46 PM

In retrospect, I think he was complaining because many of the women he meets in his age bracket are not. At least that has been his experience. By gracefully he may have meant that men continue to look for fun and romance and women get to a certain age and just look for fullfillment in their friends and family.

There maybe some truth to what women (for me) are looking for when they get older fullfillment in friends and family vs romance. After years and years of dating and dealing with different types, according to my friends I am a nut magnet, you just get burnt out . Romance=drama (in lots of cases) family and friends=comfort zone.. Now get the Math. I just can't stand the thoughts of dealing with yet another playa/obsevive liar. It just wears me out. I know it's both sexes though, but maybe women's tolerance level wears out sooner that men's.
 tryncatchme
Msg: 151
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:11:09 PM
Oh good grief.. I spell better than that... Sorry... please forgive me.
 damassteel
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 5:02:27 PM

I just can't stand the thoughts of dealing with yet another playa/obsevive liar. It just wears me out. I know it's both sexes though, but maybe women's tolerance level wears out sooner that men's

OMG, you're so young still! I just can't believe how jaded some folks of your years sound. What happened? I just think sometimes that I'm seriously out of touch. I don't know any women your age who feel as you do in that way.
 tryncatchme
Msg: 153
Posted: 2/25/2010 5:04:45 PM
Oh ...well now I feel terrible... I 'm sailing that ship all alone???? I'm not jaded... don't think just in a slump.....
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 154
Posted: 2/25/2010 5:40:51 PM
Slumps happen and it is when you are coming out of something bad...it gives you time to heal and process your own mistakes...even if that mistake is only letting the wrong person in or keeping them after you knew they were wrong.

As far as growing old goes...I have always accepted who I am so while I might not enjoy the reflection looking back at me in the mirror as much as I did when I was younger, I wont just not look anymore or hope it improves on its own.

There are good products, our skin care changes as we age..our hair changes. A good example is teeth...so many no longer look at their teeth, so many products that can brighten your smile but most dont want to bother with it. Oil of Olay makes a product design for the moisture needs of older skin, I tried it and loved it...it is different from the products you find for younger skin. Obagi is a great skin care line, it helps eliminate the toxic effects of things we might have done when we were younger (sun worshippers). They make great hair products so you dont have to loose the shine that hair has when you were younger.

Doing nothing age related to me is like eating baby food now...you have to care for yourself the best way you can with the best products and not give up...and that is what I feel just growing old is...it is giving up. You have to find the balance between accepting where you are in life and knowing what you can and how you can improve yourself.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 155
Posted: 2/25/2010 5:41:15 PM

I believe women fight the aging process which makes them look like they are aging gracfully...

I disagree.

I don't fight the aging process at all.

Mind you, I have never smoked - I seldom drink and I do not bake in the sun.

Genetics play a huge role, too.
 MsMicki
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 9:24:36 PM
I am sooo the opposite of that Irish!!

I smoke.....not like I used to but I still smoke.
I drink.....not often.....but quite well when I do it!! LOL
And I spend as much time outside as possible.
If spending the whole summer hand digging a pond is going to give me wrinkles....
bring 'em on!!
If spending the day on the water gets me dry skin......bring it on!
Hell my hands looked like they were 80 yrs old most of last summer because
I made my own patio stones out of concrete and that stuff dries the hell out of your skin!!
But by God......I got one cool patio!!
I'm will continue to dig in the dirt, swim in the creek, play in the woods, drink around a campfire and lounge in the pool till I'm not able.
If those things make me look a bit older at the end of the day.....I will wear my age signs as a badge of a life very much enjoyed.

and DS.......right back atcha'!
 Nuthin2lus
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:34:07 AM
Well, OP, I certainly understand why your friend is having trouble finding female companionship LOL......We Baby Boomers authored a social revolution when women achieved financial independence. Like it or not, men develop debilitating disease and die younger than women. In the past, this very demographic created competition, as women fought for them. That is not as true anymore, and many women choose to not tolerate "old school" men because they truly don't need them. Perhaps that is the best example of growing old gracefully, not needing an external definition of self. Despite tons of empirical evidence to the contrary, the limited thinking of your friend remains conveniently prevalent. IRL, where I don't wear my age on a placard around my neck, I still get plenty of nice compliments & admiring glances. Online, however, as soon as I hit 60, it was as if I became invisible - the messages and responses dropped by more than half - not a whine, but an observation. I think perhaps we try to delude ourselves into thinking we can elude the grim reaper by "staying young", which to many means being with a younger person. I know that from the date of my birth, my days were numbered and I don't have any way of knowing what that number may be (even young people die in accidents and from disease), so I want to make the most out of what I have been given by living without regret. To me, that has to do mostly with my connection to the people who cross my path. I care about my physical self in the same way - simply make the most of what I have to the best of my ability. I do what brings me pleasure and I am thankful that I am able to enjoy those things.
 bubbasmom1
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2010 6:46:29 PM
It's all in your attitude. If you think you are old, then you probably are. Never be afraid to try something new within reason. I've known some older folks that could work me under the table. I've known some younger ones that sit on the couch all day. Age is just a number. You can fall off a mountain and die or lay on the couch and die. It's you're choice. But if you have breath, you are alive with lots of opportunities to experience more of life. It's an individual thing. Grab hold of life with both hands and hang on!
 1dancingal
Msg: 159
Posted: 3/11/2010 11:54:56 AM
Women want romance! Romance is not jumping into bed on the third date. Women need to emotionally bond before want to share that part of themselves. I can't tell you how many times a man spoils that first romantic kiss by trying to give me a tonsillectomy!
 sanity is overrated
Msg: 160
Posted: 3/11/2010 1:09:45 PM
I'm not worried about growing old gracefully. Every day above ground is a blessing. I want to enjoy my life for as long as possible and have a wonderful time doing so. If that causes some wrinkles and bumps and bruises, so be it. I use to smoke and drink quite a bit. Seems I've settled down as I've gotten older but that doesn't mean I don't want to live life to the fullest. And I like nothing better than being with a man who is my age and we can relate to one another.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 161
Posted: 3/11/2010 5:49:11 PM
I fell into it face first with my behind sticking out .....
So the face develops these lines.....that tight tight bully has a wrinkle or two....heck it has a bunch....I have this attitude that use to be liberal now its moderate. The change happened so slowly I didn't notice until its to late.......so I tried to back peddle to lose this age.....sit ups running, staying out of the sun...tried to become more liberal, wore a mini skirt but now my behind has decided to drop it hung out.....wasn't pretty. So I will settling for being graceful, hang around people my age so I don't notice it so much and smile a lot because I like those lines........
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Growing old gracefully or just growing old?