Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Guesswhoo
Msg: 164
Things You've Learned and Advice You'd Pass On Now That You're Over 40Page 11 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Live life to the fullest, dont worry about what others think, dont let the bad times keep you down long........its truly a waste of your life.
 WindRoper
Msg: 165
Things You've Learned and Advice You'd Pass On Now That You're Over 40
Posted: 8/24/2007 10:51:53 AM
Fair is a 4-letter F-word.

Education... education... education, and try to incorporate something you have a passion for into a paying career. It is a rare blessing and resists burnout.

When it's all said and done, the most fun and memorable times of my life all have involved being gathered with family. Never mess with a winning combination.

If they ain't blood, their love isn't unconditional (and neither is yours). Given the proper circumstances even your oldest and dearest friend will screw you but at least they'll kiss you first.
 NatGoat
Msg: 166
Posted: 8/24/2007 1:42:27 PM
It's not Over . . till it's Over !!!
If you still have the Drive . . Use it as you see fit . . !!
Ask Jane Fonda . . !!
I've got 9-Years saved-up . . {Wid. 7/98}
Who's ready to Dance . . ?? . .
 Charred
Msg: 167
Posted: 8/24/2007 2:42:04 PM
for my kid...
don't be like me, be you...
make your own mistakes...
plenty of time to make things right if you're wrong about something but you have to do that; humility will go a long way...
don't sweat the small stuff...
heck, don't sweat anything...
take your place in the world (it won't be calling and pointing out where you should be)...
listen...
whoever and whatever you feel you are inside that's what to show the world...
they can smell a phony a mile away...
learn forgiveness early and practice it always; you'll need from others sometimes too...
 gpb1953
Msg: 168
Posted: 8/24/2007 5:29:36 PM
- Always seek first to understand, then to be understood.

- What we are communicates far more effectively than what we say or do.

- Live out of your imagination, not your history.

- The key is not to prioritize whats on your schedule but to schedule your priorities.

Gary
 cdn_guy
Msg: 169
Posted: 8/24/2007 8:44:15 PM
Just one piece of advice (thing I've learned), now that I'm the age I am ?? That's easy. Be nice ... even if you're the only one to do so. Then remember the results.

cdn guy
 goer
Msg: 170
Posted: 8/24/2007 10:39:42 PM
Only one life that soon is past.
Only what's done with love will last.

When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it.
 Savona
Msg: 171
Posted: 8/25/2007 8:58:23 AM
Practice what you preach.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 172
Posted: 8/25/2007 9:35:08 AM
There is only one commandment:
Love

There are only two rules:
(1) When you need help: ask
(2)When you get help: say thank you

*mae* flowers
Msg: 173
Posted: 8/25/2007 11:20:25 PM
...I attended a motivational workshop a while back and one of the guest speakers was an elder from a nearby community. ...I loved her philosphy on life and happiness...this is what we strive for right?

Do you remember when you were a kid and how much you wanted to become a teenager...you could hardly wait...that was going to make you really happy, turning 13 wow, we could hardly wait.....then it was 16, oh man when we turn 16 we are going to have the world by the tail, we'll be able to date and stay out late, all that freedom..yup we were surely going to be happy when we reach 16....then it was 21....so ok, now were married, raising our children and maybe thinking about buying a house, ....then before you know it years go by, the kids are getting older now and we can hardley wait for them to grow up and move out, we will be able to travel, the house will almost paid for by then , were going to be so happy when that times comes were going to have one big party......... Ah, finally the time has arrived, the kids are finished college, and they have moved out, the house is all paid for now...now is the time for our happiness, yes it sure is.......we look around at our empty house and we wish for yesterday....if only we could go back.....we would be the happiest person in the world.

Her philosphy was be happy with today.

...maeflowers
 claypot
Msg: 174
Posted: 8/26/2007 3:52:44 AM
I have found that the simplist answer isn't always the correct one. The harder it is to find the solution to the problem, the easier it is to remember the answer.

I have also found by thinking OUTSIDE the box, most times leaves you standing outside the box. But if in your heart you know your answers are true(at least for yourself) then standing alone can be very comforting.

It's ok to go against the grain, not all public opinions are correct. It takes someone to stand up and voice another opinion to open eyes and minds to perhaps another way.

Humor is one of the main sources of survival. Laughter thru tears can take away the pain, laughter thru fear can ease the fear long enough to get a grip and put yourself in a more protected frame of mind. Laughter because of laughter can cleanse the soul, and lifts one's spirit to new heights.

The one gift I have learned over the years, and I try very hard to pass this on, be yourself, be kind to yourself, because at some point there may be know one else there to do this for you.
No your limits but try to push to new bonderies each and every day. Stretch the imagination, dream the impossible, who knows one day it may just come true.
 Janice T.
Msg: 175
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:10:47 AM
Be true to thyself....
 strollinbella
Msg: 176
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:14:31 AM
What I've learned:
Sometimes it is best to keep your opinions to yourself.
In the end it doesn't matter whether someone else likes me or not. What matters is that I like myself.
Like the old song says, "Walk a mile in my shoes. Yeah before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes." Through the years I have often been too quick to judge, and too closed to listen, and have lost friends - and opportunities to be a friend - because of that narrowminded attitude. Thankfully I am a much more accepting, caring person than I once was.
 Belonging2NoOne
Msg: 177
Posted: 8/26/2007 9:20:08 AM
I always tell my children I love them. And I always give them a hug and sometimes a kiss on the cheek too.

Even if my children are adults they must still show me respect!

I don't get involved in their marriage problems or family problems! An I don't take side with any of them.

I do not let them drop off my grandchildren any time they want to because they want to go someplace. I am still young at 48 and I still have a my own life to live also.

I don't allow my children to ask the question "why are you going out with that guy."

I did not choose my childrens mates, therefore I will not allow them to have a say in who I choose whenever that day comes!
 SimplySweet45
Msg: 179
Posted: 8/26/2007 11:51:12 AM
Live by the "golden rule". Be confident. Fight for what you believe in. Never forget to say "I love you"
 moraima
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 11:57:31 AM
I have learned that I had to learn for myself. I needed to figure out what worked best for me. To advise others, I would have to assume that I know better than they do what is best for them. I do not know what is best for others, and I never will. All I can do is share where I am with my life, and leave others to live their own lives.
 redneckcountrygirl
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 2:24:07 PM
Speak only well of people and you need never whisper. (Dear Abby)
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 182
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:17:41 PM
What I learned from my mother. She always told me "If you don't have anything nice to say to someone, don't say anything at all" That has been my rule to live with and it works for me!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 183
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:25:42 PM
...never follow relationship advice from anyone on a dating site.

...maeflowers
 Teresa14
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 7:40:58 PM
^^^ Thanks for the advice.

Just be yourself..

Thats just me................ ....Tee

Still ......
 strollinbella
Msg: 185
Posted: 8/27/2007 5:17:31 AM
Never lie because, unless you have a phenomenal memory, it will come back to haunt (bite) you.
 von51
Msg: 186
Posted: 8/27/2007 6:26:54 AM
If you wash cotton towels (that have tags that say Do Not Bleach) ~ but use bleach anyway....you can change the color scheme of your bathroom without buying new towels! ''

Seriously though, my advice would be ~ don't sweat the small stuff! Pick your battles wisely, and choose to laugh rather then argue......cause nobody's perfect.
 snickers471
Msg: 187
Posted: 8/28/2007 10:21:24 AM
The things I learned and pass on everyday:

live every minute of everyday like it's your last day on earth -- laugh often, love with your heart and soul, remember everyone, apologize - you never know if there is tomorrow.

write down where exactly "someplace safe is" whatever you hid there you're going to need.

you're a big part of my life and I love you.
 jeri49
Msg: 188
Posted: 8/28/2007 10:33:51 AM
I have learned to take nothing for granted, appreciate each day as unique, and never argue with an idiot.
 hardtohold2
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2007 11:09:48 AM
Never miss the opportunity to be a kid again.

Laugh at yourself at least once a day, it keeps your spirit alive.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >