Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 smith2267
Msg: 12
Please Tell Me HOW to Cook Rice!Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
>>And all of them...I burn the bottom of my pan!

It's your pan, honey. I have a pan that burns rice on the bottom, and I have another which has no problem at all.
 smith2267
Msg: 13
Please Tell Me HOW to Cook Rice!
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:12:21 PM
Oh dear, I've called a moderator "honey"...
Nice knowing everyone...
My butt is going to be deleted...
 azblueskies57
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/4/2006 1:56:58 PM
invest $20 in a rice cooker. They are flawless. I never soaked white rice either myself.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/4/2006 4:13:06 PM
maybe chinese, but the japanese I worked for didn't
 azblueskies57
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:37:22 AM
Now...are you ready for spanish rice (3/1) or Saffron?
 brawnydog
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/5/2006 7:12:08 AM

sometimes throw a chicken bullion cube in

I like to substitute chicken or vegetable broth for part of the water. Less salty.
Especially if I'm going to use the rice for fried rice.

Ex had problems with rice too, Babsy. Then she got that boil-in-bag
kind. Was perfect everytime after that.

Good to see you in the pond.
 brawnydog
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:52:17 PM
http://www.successrice.com/success/
 evanevan6
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/6/2006 4:10:22 PM
I used to make my own sushi rice.
Now that's tough! Besides the addition of Miso
ingredients, and the righ short grain rice, it is a heat and timing
thing becaseu it is not supposd ot be over done or hard, and has
to have the right amount of stickiness to make the sushi makeable!!

but regular rice - Just heat on a lower flame and stir once in a while and take a few out with a spoon and try them- when they are not longer hard- turn off the flame and let it sit for 2 minutes giving it an occasional stir. That will make sure they are all soft but not overcooked.
As you've noticed - different rices cook differently.

The person that said microwave in water is right- I have found rice to be
a microwave friendly food. (not everything is)
E
 evanevan6
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/6/2006 4:16:08 PM
PS the person who said they wash it first to get off the excess starch
is right. But I personally never bother with that.
Soaking and washing dried beans before cooking them is also the correct way to do them!

After youve done your rice, before you drain- putting in canned red beans
(it doesn;t take much to get them warm becasue they are already cooked)
adds a nice touch. a few turns in the hot water and then drain.
Fast and pretty.
E
 red1234
Msg: 46
you are hot
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:32:51 PM
hey sexy i would like to get to know you so please drop me a line
 laurieann38
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:48:59 PM
Always double the water for the rice, (do not rince) bring to a boil, cover,set stove on low and cook 14 min. that's it, I learned from a Japanese friend of the family.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:00:25 PM
This is starting to be funny. Do you see how many surefire, can't fail recipes? The japanese I worked for in Hawaii used a rice steamer, lol.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:11:50 PM
HOW MANY LIGHTBULBS DOES IT TAKE TO SCREW IN A LADDER..

OMG ITS RICE BURN IT A FEW TIMES TILL YOU LEARN...:
 eddie0221
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/9/2006 10:44:22 PM
anyone hear of goya??

Well, here's my reciepe:
It's best to use a cast iron pot.

Goya Rice 2 cups
3/2 cups of water
one can of goya beans of your choice
1 packet of goya sason(sounds like sasone)
1 small can of tomatoe paste ( use only about 2 tablespoons)
1/2 cup of chopped ham
1/2 of finely chopped onions
1/4 cup of goya sofrito
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt

Add all the ingredients together and mix well.
bring to boil UNCOVERED until most of the water has evaporated
once most of the water has evaporated, stirr the rice, cover and simmer for about 15-20 mins.

The important trick is to NOT cover until the water has evaporated.

final result: Spanish rice and beans
 eddie0221
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/9/2006 10:58:34 PM
3 1/2 cups of water for above post...sorry
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/9/2006 10:59:45 PM
If you really like rice.. get a rice cooker... it can't fail then...
 eddie0221
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/9/2006 11:05:07 PM
a rice cooker is not the same. I have both and you can't compare from using the seasoned cast iron rice pot
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/9/2006 11:19:35 PM
Yes eddie... BUT YOU can cook rice and she can't obviously.. no it's not the same but you have to do what you must in order to get good rice. I do not use a rice cooker but know a man who does and it's always really good. Cooking rice is not an easy thing to do for everyone, that is why I suggested the cooker. I've thought about using one myself just because it's easy.
 Sin*ful
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2006 10:07:32 PM
Okay here is what you do for perfect rice..any kind of rice even tho Uncle Benns long grain works well
1) First figure out how much rice you want remember 1/2 cup of rice needs only 1 cup of
water..1/2 makes two servings with that in mind
2) Boil the equivelent water without the rice ahead of time either with one of those plug in water boilers or on the stove or what have you.
3) Add your rice in a pot and add one tablespoon of margerine or butter, I prefer becil..(if you plan to have onions or other things in that rice now is the time to put it in(..dont put the heat up while stiring the rice and butter etc as it will burn it we just want to somewhat brown it..after doing this add your water in and turn up the heat to high to get a fast boil at this time do not add any salt but rather add a chicken cube..like chicken boulion..and stir it in..after that NO MORE STIRRING...reduce heat to low approximately to three put lid on and wait about 20 open the lid your water will be gone the rice is fluffy and has not sticked..its the greek way our rice is always like pilaf..this works with any rice...
 captnjimbo
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2006 2:05:47 PM
I was interested in japanese cooking some time back and took cooking lessons. One of the lessons was in rice cooking. The way I was taught and it works for me every time is.
Rinse the rice by letting stand in water for 10 min. Do this twice. Then cover with water to your first finger joint in depth. Add about 1 tsp salt. Bring to a vigorous boil. Turn down heat to just simmering for 10 min. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 min. It will depend on the type of rice as to how fluffy or sticky it is. Fluffy rice is mostly an American thing. Using fluffy rice with chopsticks doesn't work real well.
 a_vamp
Msg: 76
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:06:55 PM
Ah~ Rice… a food staple of my race… I have a rice cooker but SO troublesome to use it just to cook for one person cuz I live alone.

So here’s how you cook fluffy white rice in a pot - I mean Chinese Long-Grain rice / Japanese Short-Grain rice (sushi rice).

1. Rinse 1 CUP of rice in a pot and drain off the water.
2. Submerge the rinsed rice in just enough water and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
3. Drain the soak-water off and add 1 CUP of water to the rice.
4. Cover the pot, turn on the heat and cook until the rice is done.

TIP:
- Use the SAME ratio of water to rice - unless you’re tryin to make porridge.
- Using a non-stick pot is a good idea.
- Never leave the pot unattended to prevent burning.
- Do not cover the pot completely to prevent boiling over – leave a tiny gap so that steam can escape gently.
- Do not leave rice to stand in pot once its cooked to prevent sticking – fluff it thoroughly with a wooden spoon and transfer rice to another dish.
- Add stock instead of water for flavor and fragrance.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:50:35 AM
its funny, because the other night made some rice and i thought of this stupid thread. I used an old sauce pot filled a coffee cup up twice and dumped the water into the old pot, I turned on the heat walked away until the water was at a rolling boil, I filled the coffee cup with rice, and dumped into the water. I stired once, and let go for 5 min. after the 5, I removed from the front flame and set to rear with a low flame, i covered with a small frying pan that was laying there, I peeked after 5, and saw the water was low, so I turned the heat off and left covered for 30 more min.

when I lifted the lid, I have perfectly cooked fluffy rice...now end this tread.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:10:14 PM
White rice...don't rinse
Basmati (white or brown...brown has a bit of a nutty flavor)....SOAK in water for 10 mins. or so. Strain the rice.
Get a stainless steel pot with a THICK bottom...1/8 inch...never mind the copper bottom...stainless steel is the key!
Heat the pot.
Add BUTTER if you wish...margerine is so gross.
If you brown the butter, it will have a nutty flavor...in french...burre noisette
Add your choice of rice and salt if you so disire
Stir until the grains have a coating on them...just a few stirs
Add the required amt. of water...different types of rice require diff. amts. of water...generally 2:1 water to rice that is...
Bring to an almost boil...stir frequently until it is about to boil.
Turn the heat down and remove the pot (the suggestion of having a 2nd burner is excellent...but the best to cook on is gas!)
Stir again until the rice is comfortably on a slow simmer.
White rice...20 min.
White Basmati...10 min.
Brown Basmati...45 min.

Again...I can't stress more...the quality of the pot you use is key to making almost any dish.
 carrotwax
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/21/2006 5:47:11 PM
I pretty much always use a rice cooker to cook rice. The good ones are very easy to clean and have removeable parts to be easily put in a fridge or in a dishwasher.

But as a side note, I've been on a macrobiotic diet over the last month (basically, no dairy, no wheat/gluten, no meats other than seafood, and no white rice), and I have been eating a lot of brown rice. It takes longer to cook but my body feels SO much better. The standard white rice is sort of like empty calories.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >