Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.
     
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statemachine500
Joined: 8/25/2011
Msg: 261
Ever spend a night in Detroit?Page 11 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Ever see that movie Trading Places with Murphy and Akroyd?Is a black guy wearing a suit in Manhattan scarey to me?


NO


Poor inner city blacks.

YES

Why?Who was that Jewish comedian with the line about being afraid of some black people?He said"It's not because they're black.It's because I'm white".The extreme racism is coming from poor blacks.Whites try to avoid the situation by fleeing the inner cities.Maybe you have seen some stats on this.If somebody is trying to belong,I can't say no to them.If they wage war against you because of your color,they go into a different category.What is the real cause of that massive weapons buildup by people in the U.S?I can tell you that in Louisiana,they are up against open aggression everywhere,the whites live together in the small towns and hamlets,and they are armed to the teeth.The Russian prediction is that the U.S will eventually split into distinct regions.....
 enigoM
Joined: 2/18/2013
Msg: 262
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 5:35:04 AM

Why the dismissiveness of Mungo's analysis then?
Because there is no corroboration and no study cited or link provided to view the percentages in context. Plus the methodololgy used to arrive at the percentages is not provided. Too many variables not accounted for...
 mungojoe
Joined: 11/15/2006
Msg: 263
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 12:20:07 PM
Because there is no corroboration and no study cited or link provided to view the percentages in context.

ROFLMAO

Dude, YOU posted older crime numbers from the same site the percentages were derived from...

You can find THOSE (older) crime numbers but you can't find anything else on the SAME site...?

You need ME to point you to where you have already been...?!?

OK, if you insist on making yourself appear that dense and foolish then here is your "corroboration" and "context" (hint: the "context" is 'crime as reported', just like it says in the posts but I guess that went right over your head, huh?)...

The source of the crime numbers YOU can't seem to find on your own (even though you posted older ones from the same place)...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011

You know, asking those questions only make you appear intelligent when the answers aren't already right in front of your eyes (not surprised a right wingnut can't see that, really)...

ALL of the crime numbers necessary to corroborate and provide "context" can be found there...

Plus the methodololgy used to arrive at the percentages is not provided.

The "methodololgy" (it is spelled 'methodology', you shouldn't try to use big words you don't seem to understand) used to arrive at those percentages is called 'arithmetic' (you know, that stuff some people use to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers)... and most of it is taught at the high school level... Apparently that too is beyond your ability to grasp in a straight-forward reading...

Too many variables not accounted for.

And WHAT "variables" aren't accounted for... The variables in use are crime, economic status, and family status... Every one is mentioned in the post and represented in the numbers (you know, it would help if you actually read the stuff you respond to, your replies might seem more reasoned and less 'knee-jerk' that way)...

What "unaccounted for variables" could you possibly be referring to...?

(I'm starting to feel like a Bugs Bunny quote is called for...)
 enigoM
Joined: 2/18/2013
Msg: 264
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 12:41:27 PM
Typos aside...so you dud the math yourself ..drew your own conclusions and tried to pass it off as credible ...you and other libs try to cast republicans, conservatives or anyone who disagrees with you as narrow minded bigots..when I ask for clarufication of stats you provuded you resort to ridicule and sarcasm..is there a creduble study that supports your hypothesis and percentages?
 mungojoe
Joined: 11/15/2006
Msg: 265
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 2:04:05 PM
when I ask for clarufication of stats you provuded you resort to ridicule and sarcasm

First, it's "clarification" and "provided"... AND you got the clarification... You were told exactly where the numbers came from... The posts told you EXACTLY how the numbers were used... AND, despite that, you continued to act as though you had absolutely no clue... You only ridiculed yourself by insisting that you hadn't been given exactly what you asked for...

is there a creduble study that supports your hypothesis and percentages?

So then, you are saying that the numbers provided by the FBI's UCR aren't credible... Why then are YOU attempting to use the same numbers you don't consider credible to make YOUR point...?

However, if you would like some studies regarding the link between poverty, social status and crime that establish the credibility of comparing poverty/social status with crime I can educate you on that as well... Here's a 'starter set' for you...

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-9133.2004.tb00035.x/abstract

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2094894?uid=3739448&uid=2&uid=3737720&uid=4&sid=21102555361443

http://books.google.ca/books?hl=en&lr=&id=VZt5aeL6xTkC&oi=fnd&pg=PA2&dq=us+offender+poverty+rate&ots=7ZCxgIqKL8&sig=2UGexiA5v8kzc3Vx-SqzoWumaS8#v=onepage&q=us%20offender%20poverty%20rate&f=false

drew your own conclusions

No... The numbers drew the conclusion... I stated no conclusions other than what the numbers themselves show all on their own...

However, if that is "too deep" for you, here are some links to help you learn about numbers and "what they say"...

Basic lessons in arithmetic:

http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED473300

The basics of statistics:

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1950-05609-000


You know, as a side note, you REALLY shouldn't try to pretend to be intelligent or liberal if you can't even get the basics right... You will continue to fail in your attempts to play what right wingnuts consider to be "liberal tricks" as long as you fail to understand how they work... And, seriously, do you really expect anyone to believe that you can know what is "credible" and what isn't when you lack the basic knowledge and/or intellect to even spell the word...?
 Madailein
Joined: 6/9/2012
Msg: 266
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 3:44:51 PM

Probably has a lot to do with cultural differenes..thug lifestyle being glamourized...being raised with an entitlement mentality..lack of strong moral values due to lack of entact families...resentment based on historical oppression and a system that will not teach about the laws and mechanisms in place that insure equal treatment...constantly being bombarded by antiestablishment liberal propaganda etc…~enigoM



Ever see that movie Trading Places with Murphy and Akroyd?Is a black guy wearing a suit in Manhattan scarey to me?

NO

Poor inner city blacks.

YES

Why?Who was that Jewish comedian with the line about being afraid of some black people?He said"It's not because they're black.It's because I'm white".The extreme racism is coming from poor blacks.Whites try to avoid the situation by fleeing the inner cities.Maybe you have seen some stats on this.If somebody is trying to belong,I can't say no to them.If they wage war against you because of your color,they go into a different category.What is the real cause of that massive weapons buildup by people in the U.S?I can tell you that in Louisiana,they are up against open aggression everywhere,the whites live together in the small towns and hamlets,and they are armed to the teeth.The Russian prediction is that the U.S will eventually split into distinct regions..…~statemachine500


+1, You gentlemen should be speaking these words from a podium.
You have the courage to speak truth, it is refreshing.

As for the naysayers;
Some posters are best ignored.
 BigBadNIrish
Joined: 1/31/2011
Msg: 267
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 4:57:02 PM
Joe,

I've come to the delusion that these reichwingers are too lazy to actually do anything but point fingers at everyone else for their own personal shortcomings and their inability to find a simple web page when pointed directly to the source of the info.


so you dud the math yourself


No the data comes directly from the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services...they did the math for Joe...just because you're too lazy to look or incapable doesn't mean the numbers don't exist exactly as Joe posted


tried to pass it off as credible


They are the FBI's numbers, therefore, the most credible numbers available.


you and other libs try to cast republicans, conservatives or anyone who disagrees with you as narrow minded bigots.


We read the posts of the conservative repuglicants and come to the same conclusion...narrow minded racist bigots.


is there a creduble study that supports your hypothesis and percentages?


Who is more credible than the FBI...please tell us so we don't spin our wheels.

Oh, and by the way for all you lazy ppl who feel entitled to have us provide you with fingertip links to find readily available data...for those of you who lack the personal responsibility to find the information that Joe has gratiously provided here's the link to his data at the FBI:


http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43



Some posters are best ignored.


First thing you've ever written that I agree with.

Now I think I'll go change into my underwear and pose for new profile pictures...LMAO
 Matapang
Joined: 6/26/2013
Msg: 268
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 6:29:58 PM
I was in downtown Myrtle Beach the other day. I saw a bumper sticker on a parked car that read:
"I miss Detroit."

So I broke the window, stole the radio, shot out two of the tires, added an Obama bumper sticker and left a note that read, "Hope this helps.”
 statemachine500
Joined: 8/25/2011
Msg: 269
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 6:33:23 PM

They are the FBI's numbers, therefore, the most credible numbers available.


I like your humor.Who cares what a gov agency is trying to feed you.Nobody dared to comment on what Bloomberg achieved.A weeping liberal judge made all the muggers and predators rejoice I am sure.Now sit back and watch the apologists try to explain why street crime will rise once again.Will the muggers target some guy in a dirty tshirt or the man in a business suit?
 Madailein
Joined: 6/9/2012
Msg: 270
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/15/2013 6:51:49 PM

I was in downtown Myrtle Beach the other day. I saw a bumper sticker on a parked car that read:
"I miss Detroit."

So I broke the window, stole the radio, shot out two of the tires, added an Obama bumper sticker and left a note that read, "Hope this helps.”~Matapang

+1, Funee!!!
 BigBadNIrish
Joined: 1/31/2011
Msg: 271
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/16/2013 4:43:30 AM
Who cares what a gov agency is trying to feed you


It's good that ppl have a sense of skepticism for single data sources...but, I'll note that no one has dared to repudiate the FBI numbers with data of their own.

Where's my underwear pic's???
 GreenThumbz18
Joined: 4/25/2012
Msg: 272
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/22/2013 9:15:30 PM
"Where's my underwear pic's???"
Try using a mirror, like everybody else.

Meanwhile in Detroit: "Abandoned Dogs Roam Detroit in Packs as Humans Dwindle
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-21/
As many as 50,000 stray dogs roam the streets and vacant homes of bankrupt Detroit, replacing residents, menacing humans who remain and overwhelming the city’s ability to find them homes or peaceful deaths.

Dens of as many as 20 canines have been found in boarded-up homes in the community of about 700,000 that once pulsed with 1.8 million people. One officer in the Police Department's skeleton animal-control unit recalled a pack splashing away in a basement that flooded when thieves ripped out water pipes.

The dogs were having a pool party,” said Lapez Moore, 30. “We went in and fished them out.”

Poverty roils the Motor City and many dogs have been left to fend for themselves, abandoned by owners who are financially stressed or unaware of proper care. Strays have killed pets, bitten mail carriers and clogged the animal shelter, where more than 70 percent are euthanized.

“With these large open expanses with vacant homes, it’s as if you designed a situation that causes dog problems,” said Harry Ward, head of animal control. "
 Paul K
Joined: 3/10/2006
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 2:24:15 AM
MUNGO........... You are an animal lover, aren't you? This latest thing to hit Detroit, you know, with the packs of dogs running around is perfect! They will love to see you come and spend the night with them. Maybe one remembers where the pool that was mentioned in the article, and you can get some spa time in!

Back to reality........ it seems like the dogs run with each other sort of according to size. One lady said that she was attacked by a pack of dogs the size of chiuahuas.......... Hey Ren.... Stimpy is looking for you!!!

I wonder what the statisticians are going to say about the dogs............ Well, they sure aren't loving dogs, as they practice "size-ism"................. They must be republican dogs.........

I wonder just how long it is going to take the statisticians to prove that this phenomenom was caused by Ronaldus Magnus..... just a matter of time, me thinks.

Paul K
 trinity818
Joined: 9/1/2006
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 5:32:28 AM

You know, as a side note, you REALLY shouldn't try to pretend to be intelligent


(not surprised a right wingnut can't see that, really)...


I would report you for name-calling, except for the fact that this entire thread would get deleted. The level of your arrogance and rudeness is astounding. For an individual who considers himself to be highly intelligent, your repeated name-calling and snottiness makes you sound mean and arrogant.

Do you talk to your students with the same type of attitude? You sound like a complete azz-hole.
 mungojoe
Joined: 11/15/2006
Msg: 275
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 11:51:13 AM
MUNGO........... You are an animal lover, aren't you?

Nope... especially not dogs... I would just as soon shoot them on sight for their smell alone... Though, it is interesting that your first thought would be that I was... WHY would you assume THAT...?

This latest thing to hit Detroit, you know, with the packs of dogs running around is perfect! They will love to see you come and spend the night with them.

Well, what do you know... You FINALLY got one right... For all your carrying on about abandoned neighbourhoods being "dangerous criminal haunts" where you are "certain to be victimized" you completely missed the reality of it... Stray dogs are and ALWAYS have been the real danger associated with abandoned neighbourhoods (well, that and falling through rotten floors)... And THAT applies almost anywhere in the world... Or are you suggesting that these are "black dogs" and therefore inherently vicious and criminal...?

Unfortunately for you, it took SOMEONE ELSE pointing it out before reality ever managed to sink into your thought process...

And doubly unfortunate for you is the fact that it STILL doesn't support any of your claims of being a "certain victim of crime"... Though I couldn't help but notice that you jumped on the story as if it actually proved your point (again, too bad it took someone else to show it to you), which it doesn't (waiting with bated breath for the "stray dogs are criminals too" retort)...

Maybe one remembers where the pool that was mentioned in the article, and you can get some spa time in!

Ah, so NOW you have "pumped it up" to include "staying overnight in an abandoned building"... But what happened to your "pitch a tent on a corner of MLK" line...? Am I now supposed to "commute" between "holiday residences" as well...? These utterly juvenile and desperate attempts you have made here are absolute proof of a lack of rational intelligence...

Do you talk to your students with the same type of attitude?

Only the 4 to 8 year old's...

And I do find it interesting that you would need to delve into my profile to try and make a "point"... A fairly typical "have you stopped beating your wife"-type question...

You sound like a complete azz-hole

When it comes to the unintelligent, ridiculous and/or bigoted nonsense of conservative irrationality...? Absolutely... I will act like an a$$hole towards anyone who expresses a$$hole attitudes... And I will call out unintelligent, irrational horse-sh!t for its lack of intelligence and rationality... Without even the slightest compunction, chagrin or regret... Every time and in the clearest, most unambiguous way possible (don't want the message to be missed by those who react without thinking intelligently first, do we?)...
 Paul K
Joined: 3/10/2006
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 12:10:59 PM
Mungo............

You HATE dogs? Again you bring in the race card.......... Here's a clue, dogs don't really care what color the other dog is, especailly if she is in heat. But you would shoot them on sight? I assumed, mistakenly, that since you are such a self declared big hearted compasionate person, you would have compassion for Gods critters who have fallen on hard times......... They were even thrown out of their health spa, can you believe that! I still think that you should pitch a tent at Grand River and MLK, BUT, you should go get one of the tents made of kevlar so that wandering dogs can't tear their way in........ But then you would just shoot them...........

WAIT A MINUTE...... That means that you would use a GUN on a defensless animal??? You really think that you should be allowed to possess a GUN? Or, is it just YOU that can possess a gun, because after all, you know better than the rest of us....... or could it be that the gun would provide a way of defending yourself? Hmmm, I think I've heard the last one a few times, but no, it really doesn't carry any weight, does it?

By the way, you credited the following to me: ""staying overnight in an abandoned building"... which I did not write in the post that you were referring to.................... I guess putting words in other peoples mouths comes easily after you have been doing it a while.

Then there was this:
"When it comes to the unintelligent, ridiculous and/or bigoted nonsense of conservative irrationality...? Absolutely... I will act like an a$$hole towards anyone who expresses a$$hole attitudes... And I will call out unintelligent, irrational horse-sh!t for its lack of intelligence and rationality... Without even the slightest compunction, chagrin or regret... Every time and in the clearest, most unambiguous way possible (don't want the message to be missed by those who react without thinking intelligently first, do we?)... "

OUCH................... First you will use GUNS to kill defenseless critters that are just trying to get along, then you write that? I am ashamed of you.......... And I thought that your mother would have taught you better.

Paul K

PS........ What if the dogs suddenly ran away, and you were left facing a very dangerous look crowd that had knives and bats and was coming your direction, yelling at you to give them your last can of spam...............

IF it was me, I guess it would depend on whether or not the spam was the kind with bacon in it......... I just LOVE me my bacon................
 GreenThumbz18
Joined: 4/25/2012
Msg: 278
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 12:45:40 PM
"a can of SPAM would be a great weapon if I felt threatened."

You mean like Crocodile Dundee?
G'Day, mate !!
 matchlight
Joined: 1/31/2009
Msg: 279
view profile
History
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 1:02:25 PM
#275

I would just as soon shoot them on sight for their smell alone...


That's about how I feel about people who hate dogs.


And I will call out unintelligent, irrational horse-sh!t for its lack of intelligence and rationality


Physician, heal thyself.
 mungojoe
Joined: 11/15/2006
Msg: 280
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 1:10:48 PM
By the way, you credited the following to me: ""staying overnight in an abandoned building"... which I did not write in the post that you were referring to.................... I guess putting words in other peoples mouths comes easily after you have been doing it a while.

Well, you see, when you wrote:

They will love to see you come and spend the night with them.

in reference to a story about dogs taking over abandoned buildings you failed to make it clear that you thought these dogs were staying in tents or that I should invite them into my tent... You should have said so... Without that statement how could one rationally assume you DIDN'T mean staying in the buildings with them...

Most rational and intelligent people would gather that "spend the night with them" meant the same as "stay where they are staying"...

So, I guess when you go to Detroit to "stay with your family" that you actually sleep in a tent down the street...? If THAT were true THEN that WOULD fit with your claim that "spend the night with them" DIDN'T mean "stay in the abandoned building with them"...

You HATE dogs? Again you bring in the race card

ROFLMAO

WAIT A MINUTE...... That means that you would use a GUN on a defensless animal???

Yup... Have and would again... You haven't...?

I guess we are to assume that "the mighty tuna" is the height of your "hunting skill" and experience...?

could it be that the gun would provide a way of defending yourself

Who said anything about "self-defense"...?!?

I said I "would just as soon shoot them on sight for their smell alone"... I didn't say one word to distinguish strays from non-strays and I said nothing about "being threatened or attacked"... WHERE does that even come close to "self-defense"...?

Hint: "Gotcha" comments usually require intelligence and rational thought to make the "gotcha" work...

What if the dogs suddenly ran away, and you were left facing a very dangerous look crowd that had knives and bats and was coming your direction, yelling at you to give them your last can of spam

So, once again, we are back to the conservative "pulling whatever sh!t I can imagine out of my a$$ and pretending it is reality" trick...

Like seriously, are you NOT able to comment WITHOUT channeling the Road Warrior to do it...?

And I thought that your mother would have taught you better.

She did, which is why I wrote it... "Better", of course, meaning "don't be fooled by the unintelligent horse-sh!t some will pull out of their a$$es to make an irrational argument"...

Physician, heal thyself.

Apparently someone needs me to help him open his can of Constitutionally inept "14th Amendment whup-ass" again...
 Paul K
Joined: 3/10/2006
Msg: 281
view profile
History
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 1:48:23 PM
Mungo........

I wrote:
"By the way, you credited the following to me: ""staying overnight in an abandoned building"... which I did not write in the post that you were referring to.................... I guess putting words in other peoples mouths comes easily after you have been doing it a while. "

You wrote the "staying overnight in an abandoned building"... " and credited it to me, when I wrote no such thing, as you readily admitted..... Remember, using quotaion marks denotes that the person said exactly what is in the quotes............ just something you may want to know for the future. Like I said, stop putting words in peoples mouths that they never said. I know it is a hard habit to break, but really try this time.

I have caught quite a few other fish besides tuna, and many quite a bit bigger. I have gone hunting, but haven't taken any game yet....... unless high desert jacks count. Of course, you being the brave hunter, has shot his fair share of game.

When I go visit family in Detroit, actually the suburbs and outlying areas, we stay in their homes, or in a nice hotel. I have been through Detroit proper, and would not stay there in a bet. BUT, you, having read the statistics, should have no problem staying there......... Not to worry, your chances of surviving are actually pretty good! But, then you knew that already, didn't you........... Hey you should know better seeing how you have extrapolated the stats, and I have only driven through.

Paul K
 mungojoe
Joined: 11/15/2006
Msg: 282
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 2:36:13 PM
You wrote the "staying overnight in an abandoned building"... " and credited it to me, when I wrote no such thing, as you readily admitted.....

And WHERE did I "credit" it to you...? Exactly...?

Can you show us the words where I say YOU said that specific phrase...? Please...?

Remember, using quotaion marks denotes that the person said exactly what is in the quotes............ just something you may want to know for the future.

ROFLMAO

Again we come back to my points about knowledge, or lack thereof...

From Wikipedia:

In English writing, quotation marks or inverted commas (informally referred to as quotes or speech marks) are punctuation marks surrounding a quotation, direct speech, or a literal title or name. Quotation marks can also be used to indicate a different meaning of a word or phrase than the one typically associated with it and are often used to express irony. Quotation marks are sometimes used to provide emphasis, although this is usually considered incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark

As I am sure can see, a quotation is but one use of quotation marks... And even then, when used to offset a quotation, the quotation ONLY applies to the person CITED as providing those specific words...

Now, again, PLEASE show us where I CITED YOU as the original source of those specific words... Please, oh please, do... I'll even apologize if you can show where I claimed that YOU actually wrote those specific words...

You can't even offer an explanation for why

They will love to see you come and spend the night with them.

An exact quotation from user Paul K, post 273

DOESN'T mean "staying overnight in an abandoned building"... Show us how this DOESN'T mean "staying in the same place where they stay"...

Can you parse this out for us without making yourself look foolish, without seeming as though you are "grasping at straws" in a futile effort to make a non-existent point...?

Seriously dude, simply making up claims of being misquoted based on your own imaginings of what is and isn't a direct quotation is neither rational nor a sign of intellect (though it is a sign that you have nothing else to offer... perhaps that is why conservatism in the US has reduced itself to the sorry state it has, they have little that is rational to offer anymore)...

Not to worry, your chances of surviving are actually pretty good! But, then you knew that already, didn't you...........

Yes, I did... but that should be obvious given that I have actually said so... It is, however, nice to see you actually admit that...

Hey you should know better seeing how you have extrapolated the stats, and I have only driven through.

I too have "driven through" many places... The difference being that I don't think merely "driving through" gives me any real insight into a place... Actually staying the night, on the street and not in a "nice hotel", however, does...
 Paul K
Joined: 3/10/2006
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 3:33:23 PM
All of the above just to prove that you don't know what quotation marks mean?

Really?

I wrote:
"By the way, you credited the following to me: ""staying overnight in an abandoned building"... which I did not write in the post that you were referring to.................... I guess putting words in other peoples mouths comes easily after you have been doing it a while.

To which you replied:
"Well, you see, when you wrote:"

And then you took the following that I wrote to mean "staying overnight in an abandoned building".....

"They will love to see you come and spend the night with them."

So now when I write:
"They will love to see you come and spend the night with them.", it is the same thing as when you write:
"staying overnight in an abandoned building".....

Not even close, but again, not surprising. I am surprised that you didn't come up with some stats as to how often people are mis-quoted, such as I was. Parsing out is not necessary, or at lest it shouldn't be when qsuotiation marks
are used, as the quotation marks denote the exact words of the writer, not what it means, or doesn't mean.

Now I understand why you are so "misguided" about the Constitution..... you seem to think that as long as YOU decide what a passage means, you can put quotes on it, and it will mean the exact same thing, st least according to you. Well, really, it is not the same. If you want to credit someone with a quote, at least have the common courtesy when you put a phrase in quotations, to at least be close...... actually, in order for a phrase to be in quotes is must be identical.

I wrote:

"You wrote the "staying overnight in an abandoned building"... " and credited it to me, when I wrote no such thing, as you readily admitted....."

to which you replied:
"And WHERE did I "credit" it to you...? Exactly...?"

Lets see, you were directly writing to me, and then you attributed the "staying overnight in an abandoned building" phrase to me by using quotation marks............. The trouble that you now have is that I never said that, as was connotated by the use of quotes.

The reason I am being so insistant is because this is not the first time you have done this, and it is getting old..............

Paul K
 mungojoe
Joined: 11/15/2006
Msg: 284
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 4:53:10 PM
To which you replied:
"Well, you see, when you wrote:"

And then you took the following that I wrote to mean "staying overnight in an abandoned building".....

"They will love to see you come and spend the night with them."

Yes... you are absolutely right... I DID take what you wrote to MEAN what I stated... and I used quotation marks to offset it so that you would understand that...

It seems that I "over-estimated" in that case because, even though you appear to understand this above, you totaly blow this perception out of the water when you go back to insisting that I was directly quoting you...

I do hope that you aren't now going be so foolish as to try to seriously argue that I was "quoting and citing" you when I wrote the following in that same paragraph:

"pumped it up"

"pitch a tent on a corner of MLK"

"commute"

"holiday residences"

Lets see, you were directly writing to me, and then you attributed the "staying overnight in an abandoned building" phrase to me by using quotation marks.............

I was "directly writing to" you when I wrote the ones above as well... Why aren't THEY misquotations of your words...? I DID use the same "double quotation marks" didn't I...?

If you want to credit someone with a quote, at least have the common courtesy when you put a phrase in quotations, to at least be close......

If I had BEEN directly quoting you then I would have... As it was, I was NOT crediting you with that exact statement... No matter how much you want to act offended by something you imagine you are reading...

Parsing out is not necessary, or at lest it shouldn't be when qsuotiation marks
are used, as the quotation marks denote the exact words of the writer, not what it means, or doesn't mean.

So then, within the context of me spending a night in Detroit, given that the dogs are "denning" in abandoned buildings, just WHAT does the phrase "spend the night with them" mean...?

The phrase "staying overnight in an abandoned building" sounds pretty damn close to me... I'm pretty sure you didn't mean "invite them to spend the night in the Hyatt" under the circumstances...

This is now twice that I have asked you to explain the meaning if my interpretation is wrong... Do you have an answer yet...? Please, do explain so we can see the RATIONAL reason you are "upset" by this...

The reason I am being so insistant is because this is not the first time you have done this, and it is getting old..............

No... the reason you are being insistent is because you don't seem to understand the difference between when you are being directly quoted and when you aren't... Either that or you just have nothing else to "hang your hat on"...
 Paul K
Joined: 3/10/2006
Msg: 285
view profile
History
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 6:12:35 PM
Hey Mungo.........

You just keep digging the hole you are in deeper and deeper.......... and deeper. Actually it is kind of fun..............

You wrote:
"So then, within the context of me spending a night in Detroit, given that the dogs are "denning" in abandoned buildings, just WHAT does the phrase "spend the night with them" mean...? "

Hey, what you do with dogs in abandoned buildings is up to the adults in the crowd..... I really don't want to know.

Then you wrote:
"The phrase "staying overnight in an abandoned building" sounds pretty damn close to me"

So now the definition of a quotation, which is customarily denoted by the use of "quotation marks", is just getting pretty damn close? I wonder how Pres. Lincoln would feel if someone just came pretty damn close to the Gettysburg Address........ I wonder how Dr. MLK would feel if people were to just get pretty damn close to things that he said....... should I go on? I think not.

Then you wrote:
"Please, do explain so we can see the RATIONAL reason you are "upset" by this..."

As far as being upset, not me, not now. I just consider the source. What I am "hanging my hat on" is that you attributed a QUOTE to me that I never said............ you twisted what I did say.................. See, you just did it again......... You ASSUMED that I was upset, and the way you wrote the sentence, it wasn't "you might be upset", or you could be upset"..... You knew that I was upset, and that is how you wrote it. How did you know if I was upset? Answer: You didn't, you just assumed.

I understand the different times that quotation marks are used, but you don't seem to get that to write a phrase, and attribute it to someone, and further use quotation marks, as if it was the exact words the person used, is just not right.

Paul K
 mungojoe
Joined: 11/15/2006
Msg: 286
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 8/23/2013 6:52:33 PM

You just keep digging the hole you are in deeper and deeper.......... and deeper.

Yes, I'm sure it feels good to pretend that is so... But, just to be clear... The "nuh-uh, is not" retort does not establish that to be so...


I understand the different times that quotation marks are used

Apparently not... as you continue to assert:


but you don't seem to get that to write a phrase, and attribute it to someone, and further use quotation marks, as if it was the exact words the person used

as if, somehow (and only God knows how you came to this conclusion) this "proves" that I was, or intended to, directly quote you... You have NOT been able to show where I directly cited those as specifically your words... Not that I really ever expected that you could... But really, can't you provide better support for your point than "nuh-uh, is not"...?

One tact you could take would be to play "Conan the Grammarian" and try to argue that my colloquial usage "doesn't count" no matter how "common" it is... Though I expect that would look foolish as well given your own style...

See how nice I am... I'm even giving you hints on how to make your point at least APPEAR thoughtful (though that appearance wouldn't last long)...

Of course, the best way to "attack the problem" would be for you to show us that you meant something entirely different than I interpreted it... Although, I'm not sure how you could do that without looking equally foolish...

So for the third time... I will ask:

What did you mean by "spend the night with them" if not "staying overnight in an abandoned building"...?


How did you know if I was upset? Answer: You didn't, you just assumed.

Uh-huh, and your point is...? And, more importantly, how does that point "fit" with:


... this is not the first time you have done this, and it is getting old..............
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >