Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 quatrecinq
Msg: 76
HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Does anyone know why people wait 3 days? Well, it's pretty obvious.

But really, you can get the same results in just 2 days. I say wait 2 days. It's like having the best of both worlds by waiting and calling to say you had a great time shortly afterwards.

I've heard some people say wait 4 days, just cause they're expecting you to call in 3 days, so making them wait that extra day would throw them off. Well, you can achieve the same thing in 2 days. And if you managed to not screw up getting a girl's number (or guy), then they must show enough interest that they'd want you to contact them. You're not being needy with 2 days, I think it still shows you've got a life.

This is my reasoning, and I think it works really well.
 bike_nerd
Msg: 77
HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????
Posted: 12/6/2009 12:38:00 AM
no guy has given me his number and told me to call them. i personally prefer they do the work and contact me.
however, if i got a number from some guy and i liked him, i'd call him whenever i have free a moment.
 NWFemme
Msg: 78
Posted: 12/6/2009 11:30:58 AM
How did you get his number? Were you out with him or were you online? Did you ask for it, or did he volunteer it?

In my experience, interested men pursue. There's some variability there, of course, so if I was given a man's number on a Monday, I'd probably call Tuesday or Wednesday night. If he didn't ask me out during that phone call, I wouldn't call again.
 scottmcfish
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/9/2009 4:47:23 PM
I would say sometime the evening after getting it.

If it's 6pm and you call at 9pm to sort out a date, that would be concerningly soon for me.
 soliebtdielerche
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 5:44:47 PM
Call immediately. Why wait?
 barbyanne2
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/9/2009 6:36:37 PM
It is very uncomfortable for me to have a man give me an unsolicited phone # (that I am probably not going to call - as that is not my modus operandi, and it is NOT going to become so until a relationship/friendship is well underway). I understand that some women like to call first ITT for safety reasons- being hesitant to divulge a phone #. So, on that basis I have called the first time once or twice, but I don't like to, and things did not work out - probably because I was outside of my comfort zone from the first.

I like smallhagrid's reply^ because it is that of a gentleman:

"My preference is to meet before starting the phone thing, but I am happy
to give my number and also offer to call just to cover the phone charges."

Do not let Dragon affairs interfere outside of the realm
-Dragonslayer~~
 deltadallas
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:35:44 PM
to the original poster, please call asap. why are folks "old" still playing games? why would you wait 3 days when you can be going out TODaY? that is so stupid. my rule: if i have to wait 3 days or more then i will not respond or delete number, message, name, etc.
 NameOfUser
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:53:03 PM
Bravo!

Well played sir.
 West Ham Fan
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:55:32 PM
Oh who plays by that 3 day rule thing???? That's boring

Basically if you like the woman then call her up the next day, easy as that. :)
 DanZX9
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/11/2009 3:35:15 PM

My preference is to meet before starting the phone thing

Good luck getting anyone to go straight from a message on POF to meeting in person.

I am happy
to give my number and also offer to call just to cover the phone charges

Cover the phone charges? What decade are we in?
 Erinlove
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/11/2009 4:10:11 PM
Well I don't wait for anyone to call. I just do whatever. After about a week if he calls, I probably wont recognize his voice, but if he reminds me who he is I either still pretend I don't remember or give him a hard time..
He's not interested or was with another girl and I am not pretending to be "airy" for no man.
 bluesandrock
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/11/2009 4:13:09 PM

good luck getting anyone to go straight from a message on POF to meeting in person.

The majority of my meets have not involved a phone call before meeting.
 Mr.Versatility
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/11/2009 5:24:01 PM
When i give my number we usually correspond by text first than it leads to phone convo, When I give my number personally I like to be contacted immediately, I dont like wasting any time life is too short.
 Not too sure about this.
Msg: 89
Nitebynite....
Posted: 12/11/2009 8:30:05 PM
call whenever you are comfortable and if he isn't calling, remember he could terrified that you will reject him. So call him and accept rejection as an opening to someone who is stable enough to call without rules or restrictions.

When I like someone, call takes some time to build the courage....when they call me, its the same feelings.

3 days are a rule to show not important enough, not eager or desperate, and not trying to lose control of the fact that I gave you my number and I have yours because I really want to get to know you. Loosen the reigns and the horse will find the pastures....lol.
 carpenter1986
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/11/2009 9:16:35 PM
Honestly I would like to here from her the next day. I find that waiting for 3 days is a childish thing to do. If you like the person why wait.
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/11/2009 9:25:14 PM
They forgot to send me the rule book, but thats probably because they knew I wouldn't read it.....

Do and call when it feels right and comfortable with you...

younowho
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/11/2009 10:00:22 PM
Never wait over 10 minutes, otherwise he may have his finger nails eaten off and starting on his fingers..
 Rocklinguy
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/11/2009 11:31:09 PM
Never

Why feed a man's ego with a phone call. Women should be overtly pursued. A woman has a much more subtle way of letting a man know he is welcome. Look if he didn't ask for your number and then call you--Plainly, he is not interested. If you call him it sends the wrong message. I have to be a little old school on this one as men get the wrong idea. If you make it easy for them they will never be romantic with you. In other words, if you want a man to "court you" then allow him to. Maybe he will continue until you are a cute old couple that are still in love. If he doesn't ask for you number and then call you then it is his loss.

Remember it takes two people who are bith attracted to each other to form a couple. If you gave him your number then you have shown interest.
 Man_of_steele
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/12/2009 3:11:44 AM
There has to be a minimum of one full day in between the time a guy gives you a number, and the time you call. But a good rule of thumb is three.
 Mr.Versatility
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/12/2009 5:09:51 AM
I'm really beginning to think I am on a planet all by myself and that I just may be single forever. lol I don't play these games that so many people play, I mean putting a time limit on how long to wait to call someone? I mean really, this is the mentality of alot of people in today's society and in my opinion the same reason alot of marriages end and relationships..

Why the nonsense, If you like someone than call them whenever you're comfortable.
If they like you than they will be delighted you have called them, and not think anything negative about it... I'm sorry but the only people to get worked up over someone calling to soon is probabaly the same type of person that likes to play games and really isn't sure of themselves or what they want..

Think about it, If you know who you are and what you want, and someone seems to possibly fit the bill, whats the point in waiting to talk just because society says its the right thing to do.. Get on the ball... I'm sorry but life is way to short to mess around waste time or play childish games.... I admit willingly I am impatient and will think a woman isnt that interested and I will lose interest if she takes me lightly...
 Vannili
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 6:48:44 AM
I never give my phone# to guys (dates) that I have just met, they gave me their ph.# and I called to thank then again that I enjoyed the nice dinner, if I want them to know my ph.# but if not I emailed them to thank them ,(again)....
I learned not to use my cell ph. when meeting my dates that I already arrived or where the location I am waiting for him.. because they call me any time at my work and I am not comfortable chitchating on the job.

~~~~One older man in another state , emailed his ph.# with no preliminaries ,it is like an order to call him, I courteously replied in email " That I'll be glad to call him when I have time".
After 2 days,he emailed me ~ I don't understand why you don't call me, don't you have a job?
Me: I have a job,but my paycheck doesn't cover the charges of unimportant chatting on long distance ph.calls... I got deragatory email after that.

When a man gave me his ph.# after the date I always ask him the convenient time ,day to call him.. They always tell me any time,so when I arrive home I call them..
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:46:16 PM
I've always assumed that a woman that I have just met, would for safety reasons rather get my phone number rather than give me hers. Evidently this makes me a wuss in the eyes of some of the women posters here.

Having read all the way through this thread, I have to wonder how some of the posters would ever meet anybody without e-mail or phone technology.

Technology can make things easier, but, evidently, it doesn't necesssarily make them simpler.
 Lyric_In_D
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/16/2009 2:15:15 AM
I concur. The minute you have rules, is the moment you are playing games. Just be real with your heart and how it feels. Take things one day at a time, believe me, from lessons learned and experiences with dating, the person you will have will be well worth it. TRUST ME!
 throwit2me
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:18:17 AM
I think I might just keel over from apoplexy if a woman called me first. EVER. I read these forums and there are women who contend that they do things like that, but I'm pretty sure it's just an urban myth.

Seriously though, in my opinion, the three day rule is promulgated by those who hang far too great a weight of expectation on a number and on the person behind that number. Speaking from a man's perspective, if you get a couple of numbers a year, it's real easy to hang all your hopes, dreams, and blue balls, on the possibility of a date, a relationship, and sex with this person. It's only when you realize there is no ONE person right for each of us, get comfortable and successful at meeting women, and realize a great life despite the presence or absence of a woman, that you can put aside those expectations. Then, you understand that there are plenty of fish out there and if this one isn't interested or slips off the hook, it's no big deal.
 elkcall
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/21/2011 9:15:37 AM
I think it is interesting how some men will give out their numbers even before getting a reply to their first contact message.

If a man has given me his number after I have replied to his initial contact, I always write back to ask which times work for him for me to call. Afterall, I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself by calling him at the wrong time.

ETA: It looks like my suggestion was already posted on the first page. I prefer not to read other posts so they don't influence my thoughts about what I would like to post. Well, it shows that more than one person has the same idea (which can be a good thing)!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????