Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Man_of_steele
Msg: 76
HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
There has to be a minimum of one full day in between the time a guy gives you a number, and the time you call. But a good rule of thumb is three.
 Mr.Versatility
Msg: 77
HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????
Posted: 12/12/2009 5:09:51 AM
I'm really beginning to think I am on a planet all by myself and that I just may be single forever. lol I don't play these games that so many people play, I mean putting a time limit on how long to wait to call someone? I mean really, this is the mentality of alot of people in today's society and in my opinion the same reason alot of marriages end and relationships..

Why the nonsense, If you like someone than call them whenever you're comfortable.
If they like you than they will be delighted you have called them, and not think anything negative about it... I'm sorry but the only people to get worked up over someone calling to soon is probabaly the same type of person that likes to play games and really isn't sure of themselves or what they want..

Think about it, If you know who you are and what you want, and someone seems to possibly fit the bill, whats the point in waiting to talk just because society says its the right thing to do.. Get on the ball... I'm sorry but life is way to short to mess around waste time or play childish games.... I admit willingly I am impatient and will think a woman isnt that interested and I will lose interest if she takes me lightly...
 Vannili
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 6:48:44 AM
I never give my phone# to guys (dates) that I have just met, they gave me their ph.# and I called to thank then again that I enjoyed the nice dinner, if I want them to know my ph.# but if not I emailed them to thank them ,(again)....
I learned not to use my cell ph. when meeting my dates that I already arrived or where the location I am waiting for him.. because they call me any time at my work and I am not comfortable chitchating on the job.

~~~~One older man in another state , emailed his ph.# with no preliminaries ,it is like an order to call him, I courteously replied in email " That I'll be glad to call him when I have time".
After 2 days,he emailed me ~ I don't understand why you don't call me, don't you have a job?
Me: I have a job,but my paycheck doesn't cover the charges of unimportant chatting on long distance ph.calls... I got deragatory email after that.

When a man gave me his ph.# after the date I always ask him the convenient time ,day to call him.. They always tell me any time,so when I arrive home I call them..
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:46:16 PM
I've always assumed that a woman that I have just met, would for safety reasons rather get my phone number rather than give me hers. Evidently this makes me a wuss in the eyes of some of the women posters here.

Having read all the way through this thread, I have to wonder how some of the posters would ever meet anybody without e-mail or phone technology.

Technology can make things easier, but, evidently, it doesn't necesssarily make them simpler.
 Lyric_In_D
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/16/2009 2:15:15 AM
I concur. The minute you have rules, is the moment you are playing games. Just be real with your heart and how it feels. Take things one day at a time, believe me, from lessons learned and experiences with dating, the person you will have will be well worth it. TRUST ME!
 throwit2me
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:18:17 AM
I think I might just keel over from apoplexy if a woman called me first. EVER. I read these forums and there are women who contend that they do things like that, but I'm pretty sure it's just an urban myth.

Seriously though, in my opinion, the three day rule is promulgated by those who hang far too great a weight of expectation on a number and on the person behind that number. Speaking from a man's perspective, if you get a couple of numbers a year, it's real easy to hang all your hopes, dreams, and blue balls, on the possibility of a date, a relationship, and sex with this person. It's only when you realize there is no ONE person right for each of us, get comfortable and successful at meeting women, and realize a great life despite the presence or absence of a woman, that you can put aside those expectations. Then, you understand that there are plenty of fish out there and if this one isn't interested or slips off the hook, it's no big deal.
 elkcall
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/21/2011 9:15:37 AM
I think it is interesting how some men will give out their numbers even before getting a reply to their first contact message.

If a man has given me his number after I have replied to his initial contact, I always write back to ask which times work for him for me to call. Afterall, I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself by calling him at the wrong time.

ETA: It looks like my suggestion was already posted on the first page. I prefer not to read other posts so they don't influence my thoughts about what I would like to post. Well, it shows that more than one person has the same idea (which can be a good thing)!
 larissan04
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/20/2011 8:25:34 PM
wait...a guy gives you HIS number and expects YOU to call HIM? Huh?

if a man is into you he will not let you out of his site without getting your phone number, or finding out some way to contact you.

i'd say don't call the guy. he's not interested. he's just throwing it out there to see how many girls call him, then he gets to sit back and decide whether he wants to talk to you or not.

forget it. move on.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/20/2011 9:17:54 PM
if I gave you my number, I would expect to mean that we were planning on doing something, other wise what is the point. Wait a day, and call, unless that day is saturday, and then hell, I am already out ! sunday may be a good chance, but it looks like a rebel rousing round of phone pong.
 out_doors
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/20/2011 9:23:55 PM
Call him at your earliest convenience.
 thehoneybear
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2011 1:56:41 PM
In my opinion the sooner the better is usually the way I like.
 Vannili
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2011 4:23:59 PM
I'll call him when the football game is over.... and he has no hangover of
 Pixy Dust
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2011 7:20:41 PM
I might send a text in short order and leave that as invitation for him to call me....I prefer a man to call me... eh... I know.... its the 21st century... shrugs...
 nwsaf2012
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2011 7:33:11 PM
It wasn't really specified if I we are talking about it I give a woman my number, but she has not given me her number, or if she also gave me her number.

If I have her number, depending on the circumstances, I would probably call or text her within 24 hours (probably call, I'm not a huge fan of texting as a substitution for really talking..) I'm not a supporter of the "3 day rule".

If I did text instead of call, or if I called and got her voicemail, I would expect to get a response within at least a day or so (barring unusual circumstances of course) if I didn't, I'd probably take it as a sign she wasn't that interested.

If I gave her my number, but she did not give me hers...right off, I'd take that as a sign she might not be that interested. If she after a day or so she hadn't contacted me, I'd take that as confirmation that she's not that interested.
 larissan04
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/20/2011 7:55:30 PM
my question to you is why didn't he ask for YOUR number? if he was really interested in you he would have asked for your number. this guy is just using the throw-it-against-the-wall tactic. he probably gives his number out to a lot of women. he's also made it clear that he is not the kind of guy that is going to put much effort into dating you, or pursuing you, i mean, after all, he's got YOU doing the chasing now, doesn't he?
 karma1160
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/20/2011 9:20:22 PM
It depends on when I have time to chat.
The only reason I would wait would be the number came too soon, I like to email back and a few times first.
I work the afternoon shift so I usually don't call until I have a day off.
 mateo45
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2011 10:24:58 PM
my question to you is why didn't he ask for YOUR number? if he was really interested in you he would have asked for your number. this guy is just using the throw-it-against-the-wall tactic. he probably gives his number out to a lot of women. he's also made it clear that he is not the kind of guy that is going to put much effort into dating you, or pursuing you, i mean, after all, he's got YOU doing the chasing now, doesn't he?

It depends on the situation, but sometimes the guy just giving out his number serves as as an expression of interest, without putting either party "on the spot". It's called being "considerate", and if she can't muster enough "curiosity" to respond with either her own number or a followup call, then she probably ain't my type either.

Sounds like you're saying that it's not enough for a guy simply to express his interest by giving out his phone number, there's a whole prescribed "ritual" he's gotta go thru?! And BTW, what praytell is the woman "expected" to do in this little Harlequin fantasyland (circa 2011)?
 johnnyj218
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/21/2011 12:40:07 AM
What do you mean how long do you wait? Do you like the guy? Call him then! I'm so sick of these "Oh I have to wait 3 days to call so I don't seem desperate" or any other so called BS rules for dating. F'n games, sick of them.
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/21/2011 8:37:14 AM
Never wait by the phone. NEVER.
 AlreadyTakenBootboy
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/21/2011 9:33:46 AM
that same day I receive the number.
 Betterthanblond1331
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/21/2011 12:36:23 PM
I always call within a couple of days..now when I give out my number? (after being asked for it..)..they usually NEVER call. I have not a clue why they bother to ask...
 abelian
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/22/2011 7:14:53 AM
my question to you is why didn't he ask for YOUR number?

It's really very simple. Most women do not want to give their phone numbers to strangers. I always offered a woman my phone number and told her that she could call me and block her number if she wanted to talk on the phone and would feel more secure by not giving me her number right away. Most of the time women just sent their phone numbers and asked me to call. Some REALLY did not want to give out their phone numbers before talking to me and gave me their numbers after calling me the first time.

if he was really interested in you he would have asked for your number. this guy is just using the throw-it-against-the-wall tactic.

To be quite honest, that sort of me-vs-him mentality is a real turn off. I wasn't trying to play games with women so I left women who thought that way to the guys who liked playing games and who were better at it than I wanted to be. Women who wanted to make a game out something as simple as exchanging phone numbers were way to much drama for me. Unless you're playing a game, why would you care about who calls whom first? I would think that if you're concerned about your security, common sense dictates that you would want to call a guy and block your number unless you use a disposable phone for dating (which is what I did).

he probably gives his number out to a lot of women. he's also made it clear that he is not the kind of guy that is going to put much effort into dating you, or pursuing you,

Well, I did give my number to lots of women and I'm not sure how clear I was about not having any intentions of chasing anyone, but I certainly didn't pursue anyone who didn't pursue me. What's wrong with a guy giving his number out to lots of women? Until you meet a guy and establish some groud rules for dating that preclude him from meeting or dating anyone else, you should expect that's exactly what he's going to do. That's what I expected women to do and that's why I had rules in place to ensure that women weren't still doing that if we decided to keep dating after we met. Do you really expect guys to not be talking to other women once you give a guy your phone number?

he's got YOU doing the chasing now, doesn't he?

Well, I didn't expect women to play the chase game either. However, the real irony was that the only women who did any chasing were those I blew off because they expected to be chased.
 luvnsumr71
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/22/2011 3:28:35 PM
You have two questions here one in the subject line and the other in the body??

When a guy gives me his number I give him mine as well if I want him to have it because I do NOT make the initial 'phone call'

If he doesn't call me within a few days I get rid of the #. I'm stubborn what can I say
 cashleys
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/27/2011 10:35:27 PM
I don't give or take a number until I have a great deal of information, met them, done a background check etc.
 Jazzzy
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/28/2011 4:54:39 AM
OP - I am relatively forgiving when it comes to a time slot to call but what I have observed is, once the conversations begin on the telephone, the correspondence stops. For me, I learn so much more about a person via correspondence. Things you most likely wouldn't learn about someone you talk to on a telephone.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????