Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > cut and pasters      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blueeyes2410
Msg: 37
cut and pastersPage 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Nonamousdog, I don't message a guy because im bored, per say. That is one guy I message after going through 200 men in search results, I have standards and I'm picky, so that's a special guy in my eyes, not some random dude I message because I'm bored. I guess I didn't explain that right. And i dont go out of my way to talk about my degrees, I mean its on my profile but not like I brag about it, though i am proud I worked very hard in school for all those years. To each their own, we all can't please each other. Just need to find that right match. I have people tell me I shouldn't be on here that I should be on e harmony, but I don't like e harmony. Though I am currently seeing someone off of match, so maybe its harder to find a ltr on a free site. But hey its ok if you don't like me, theres someone out there for all of us, just need to be patient :)
 Dolphina
Msg: 38
cut and pasters
Posted: 8/31/2012 6:56:40 AM
Yes, cut and pasters get me too. I had another account on pof a couple of years ago (but removed it after a few months) and was contacted by the same guy who contacted me on this account last week. His message then, as far as I remember, was practically the same as I got this time. The same burble about messages in bottles. Lol! Like last time, I responded by saying no, I'm not interested, and like last time, he wouldn't take no for an answer, so I simply deleted his messages. Perhaps he's given up thinking original thoughts and just sends the same message to everyone.
 christyis4real
Msg: 39
cut and pasters
Posted: 8/31/2012 12:46:43 PM
I despise cut and paste messages. I will automatically ignore.
 annywn
Msg: 40
cut and pasters
Posted: 8/31/2012 4:28:39 PM
I find it funny, simply cut and paste some random word from wikapedia in reply and watch the confustion unfold.;)
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 41
cut and pasters
Posted: 9/1/2012 5:53:43 AM

I despise cut and paste messages. I will automatically ignore.

If you can tell it's cut and paste; it must be a real "bad" cut n paste.

Question on that note: What types of messages do you ignore, as cut and paste? (Anything that sounds pretty "everyday" and normal, or something?)
 christyis4real
Msg: 42
cut and pasters
Posted: 9/1/2012 5:51:24 PM
"Robotic" type messages. They are usually 3 paragraphs long and are impersonal. Nothing in there about ME and what he liked about my profile, or my pictures, etc..I can always tell. I've had a few men that I have ignored (due to the cut/paste message) send me the exact same message a month later. It's quite an eye roller, but a little humorous at the same time.
 JamesWilliam0775
Msg: 43
cut and pasters
Posted: 9/1/2012 7:40:48 PM
I feel that I say hello how are you is being respectful but then I get some women who want a line and not be truthful. I think most guys just want a response back regardless if you like us so we will not send you more messages. I just want the respect of saying if you are interested or not. That is why some guys act the way they do on these sites because woman do not give the same respect to the guys that they keep writing and telling about.
 Cutepid
Msg: 44
view profile
History
cut and pasters
Posted: 1/28/2016 11:40:11 PM
I think fish should have a check mark box..no need for writing some extensive unread deleted e-mail..save everyone from complaining about such..if they check your box..they want an e-mail from you..pretty damn simple..stop all these wasted e-mails..and lets face it..many times..some people just want their ego stroked...male AND female.....me=responds to all e-mails
 cookymaker
Msg: 45
view profile
History
cut and pasters
Posted: 1/29/2016 4:08:33 AM
My favorite cut and paster was back when I first joined a different site

He would send me emails trying to get my personal email right away. I didn't want to do that so quickly.
He then sent me this elaborate email as to why I am the one for him. And in every sentence he would use my name
We were meant to be "m". I think about you constantly "m". Why wont you trust me "m" . I believe it is fate, Dawn. WTH??? Who's Dawn ??
I couldn't stop laughing. The man was clearly sending the same email to other women. He just messed up by not cutting DAWN and using my name

I answered by telling him I just don't think we are a match, Larry. (NOT HIS NAME)
 GeminiFun
Msg: 46
cut and pasters
Posted: 1/29/2016 7:48:25 AM
They would have to actually read your profile in order to say something relevant to you. No one on POF actually reads the profiles, unless it is some jerk trying to see how far they can push you away from what you say you want.
I have had dozens of men try to con me into casual sex just because my profile says I am looking a long term relationship or marriage. It is a very sick game to some.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 47
cut and pasters
Posted: 1/29/2016 4:45:18 PM

I think fish should have a check mark box..no need for writing some extensive unread deleted e-mail..save everyone from complaining about such..if they check your box..they want an e-mail from you..pretty damn simple..stop all these wasted e-mails..and lets face it..many times..some people just want their ego stroked...male AND female.....

That would still be an answer somebody may not want to give.

Why not apply your focus on making contact with somebody whom is interested in you, rather than wasting energy demanding answers from disinterested people?

me=responds to all e-mails

That's your choice.
 south_city
Msg: 48
cut and pasters
Posted: 1/30/2016 7:36:26 AM
Some men ( and some women as well ) use cut and paste because they realized what they write in the initial email doesn't have a major impact in their positive reply rate. It's about the pictures, "stats", ( such as height, smoking, having/wanting kids etc ), then they might read the rest of the profile.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 49
cut and pasters
Posted: 1/30/2016 9:35:23 AM
I very rarely write first messages to guys, but when I do, I always write it just for that person. Usually it's about something that really struck me about his profile that made me think could hit it off. In most cases, these are the guys who are not interested in me though, so I really don't do it very often at all. Maybe four times a year, lol.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 50
cut and pasters
Posted: 1/30/2016 4:09:56 PM
If they can't be arsed to write something specifically to me for me, their cookie-cutter responses gets deleted with a response.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 51
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/2/2016 10:13:44 AM
People do it because it works. Go read Dataclysm by Christian Rudder: There's a scatterplot based on number of keystrokes to number of characters sent mapped across response rates. Straight up copypasta isn't necessarily effective, obviously, but a huge amount of boilerplating is going on, and it's 90% as effective as completely personalizing initial contacts. Fact. Given the inordinate amount of time that it takes to compose a 100% unique opener, and the abysmally low response rates for the average person, it makes complete sense.

I personally don't copypasta or boilerplate as there's not enough childfree women to bother with it, but of I was targeting a broader demo, I'd boilerplate the shit out of my messages. If people want it to go away, one side of the fence needs to start replying and/or messaging themselves.
 CecillyAnn
Msg: 52
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 8:01:15 AM
When someone contacts me and tells me how much they love my picture, it must be a cut-and-paste. I don't have a picture posted.
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 53
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 8:19:10 AM
I don't write first messages.
 shutterblink
Msg: 54
view profile
History
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 1:13:07 PM
@showboat

I don't write first messages

I've seen you mention this before, can I ask why? I'm curious - what do you do if you find a profile that really appeals to you?
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 55
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 3:14:01 PM
If she's interested, she'll write.

I only take profiles that have viewed mine semi seriously. I take my statement back too. I might write a first message if she has visited my profile. Even then I don't write often.

I really don't like feeling like a dirty old man making an approach on these sites either.

I suppose you could argue that if women did the same thing, nobody would contact anyone.

I'd rather know she's interested versus making a 'cold call' to a stranger.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 56
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 4:02:19 PM
I gotta agree with Showboat here. The ONLY dates I've ever gone on from POF were women who wrote me first. I won't pretend to understand why, but that's how it is. I've sent out literally thousands of messages over the years.

"Men should make the first move." Yeah, I don't buy it.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 57
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 5:20:04 PM
^^^The same is true for me... when I contacted a man first, which I do not hesitate to do, it has not yet once resulted in a date.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 58
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 5:30:13 PM

^^^The same is true for me... when I contacted a man first, which I do not hesitate to do, it has not yet once resulted in a date.

Stats show men are multitudes more likely to respond to a woman, than the other way around.

I'd imagine your issue is that you have zero pics on your profile. Change that up and try again.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 59
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/6/2016 5:36:33 PM
I am guessing without pictures people click next
One picture
Next
I would if I was looking message a Man.. not like I am having the Elephant Mans baby a simple message.
of course then I would mess with him.. j/k I am j/king
Again I play cards with Satan ( who cheats) why do people make this so hard?
 south_city
Msg: 60
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/7/2016 8:22:52 AM
The majority of my first dates/ meetings from OLD were also with women that contacted me first. I tend to be more flexible in the beginning. I don't expect a woman to exactly match a long rigid list of requirements. I went out with women that were somewhat different than my usual type or women that had mediocre pictures of themselves. Some of these women ended up looking better in person than they did in their pictures. In general, the women that contacted me first had more interest than the women that gave me a positive reply to my initial emails. The latter group was more likely to flake out or do the disappearing act after we had discussed setting up a date.
 LJane_6
Msg: 61
view profile
History
cut and pasters
Posted: 2/7/2016 3:35:28 PM
My roommate and have I both received the exact same messages from more than one guy.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > cut and pasters