Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 steveemac
Msg: 62
most heated rivalry in sports?Page 2 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

I wonder if Ronnie Lott is "lady like"....
Well, of course he is! As is Brett Favre, playing w/a broken thumb and/or a concussion; as was Kellen Winslow, Sr. in that playoff game against Miami in '82...just a bunch of big sissy-mearies.
 fortran
Msg: 63
view profile
History
most heated rivalry in sports?
Posted: 11/26/2007 12:02:01 PM
This thread started with no presumptions as to where the sport was played, who played the sport, or who was watching the sport. As is typical of a lot of places where this kind of group conversation might end up, it ended up more US centric than neutral.

As far as top level players getting injured and continuing to play, Beckenbauer played for Germany with a broken collarbone.

I have been expecting someone to contribute some rugby rivalries, but haven't seen any so far. I would think that New Zealand - Australia might be one. Surely there have to be rivalries in Australian Rules Football, Gaelic Football and hurley (sp?). In Association Football, I would expect there to be strong rivalries in both Central and South America.

I am willing to let people talk about baseball being a sport, but personally I think it doesn't qualify as the average energy expenditure by a person in a baseball game is about the same as that in a chess game. I do appreciate that being athletic, will make for a better baseball game.
 fishernick
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2007 11:05:30 AM
without a doubt the bigggest rivalry in all of sports is the yankees and the sox. this has been going on for ninety years and it just seems to get better. it attracts non baseball fans and the publicity and hype are unparelled. new york is the king of media and boston is not a small market. the numbers of fans that these two powerhouse teams have all over the world make it that much more widespread and epic. devils and heels is gret stuff also. go yanks and heels
 vladtepes97
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2007 6:41:01 PM
no matter what schumacher did subsequently, in canada he is always villified as the man who tried to run villeneuve off the track in the last race. villeneuve took the title that year. roy green of 900chml has an ongoing festering dislike for the man. does that count as a heated rivalry?
 techgirl27
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2007 12:33:56 AM
ninety years? plenty of football clubs? hmmmm...

Red Sox and Yankees have been at it with heat since 1871, thats over 135 years. A lot more than 90. Get your facts straight.

I also dont know too many football clubs that have been around much longer than that. I know Sheffield Wednesday was first founded as a local free team in 1867, but I know there aren't many from before that in the world. A big 4 years difference. Bragging rights? I hardly think so.
 vladtepes97
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:45:08 PM
online one-upmanship
bassgirl and pedro
 fishernick
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2007 7:06:17 AM
i come on here and try to voice my opinion and pedro and bassgirl blast me. first off i thought this was about the biggest rivalry not whos been around the longest. last year the yankees estimated worth was over a billion dollars the sox dont even come close. i dont want to get into what makes a fan a fan but the yankees do have fans all over the world. global sales back my statement. ninety years was in referance to the RIVALRY assgirl try to follow along. the sox traded babe ruth to the yankees and thats when the rivalry was born. the yankees organization has not been around since 1871. you are wrong. please next time you tell someone to get thier facts straight i suggest you take your own advice. epic pedro, hows 26 world championships do for you. does that qualify as epic and this rivalry is just getting started the best is yet to come.
 fishernick
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:53:09 AM
pedro your weak arguements are so flawed i am compelled to retort. world championships, its bar none the most competitive baseball league in the world and always has been so world championship it is. i dont know what 26 leagues means and i really dont care. the yankee fans are a tiny majority, what a ridiculous statement. the estimated worth of the yankees is over a billion dollers, thats a tiny majority for you. for everyone all over the world wearing yankee gear, you are allright in my eyes. i dont care if you dont know what the yankees are just keep feeding the machine. no matter how hard you try to convince yourself pedro the yankees are the most valuable, sucessfull and notorious professional sports franchise in the world. enough with your euro propaganda.
 fishernick
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2007 7:55:05 AM
in 2009 the yankees are opening a brand new stadium thats cost is over a billion. in baseball there is something called profit sharing which you are not accounting for that the soccer organizations dont have to contend with. i have done some research and i am willing to concede that manu is the most globally recognized franchise. but the yankees are the most sucessful sports franchise in history and you take away profit sharing and they are pretty much neck and neck with manu on income. in 2009 the yankees will be the most valuable franchise in the world. in my world baseball is king in yours soccer is. to each his own
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2007 2:14:18 PM
Pedro, with so many soccer leagues is the quality "watered down" and the players less skilled because of the need of players to maintain that many teams and leagues? I find that's what is happening to the NFL and MLB.
 fishernick
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2007 2:40:06 PM
there is no watered down effect in any of the major league north american sports. MLB, NFL, NBA no way. maybe an argument for the NHL but who really cares over here. with all the so called championships that you speak of to defend your precious beutiful game. i consider a world championship to be at the highest level of competition in the world. like the fifa world cup. when i think of soccer thats the ultimate goal in my estimations. and pedro, can you find a different way to start your soccer rant other than once again your wrong. do you get as excited about saying that as when you talk about beckham. you have an obvious crush on him look at your forum history. its clear as day
 fishernick
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2007 8:06:42 AM
so you are telling me that there are other leagues in the world that can compete with MLB. you are crazy. cuba, japan. they are all little leagers compared to MLB. MLB is the cream of the crop, the pinnacle of talent. every single player in any other league in the world dreams of being in the MLB. do you really think there are other leagues in the world that would be competitive with MLB? that is hilarious. MLBs world series is clearly the worlds championship for baseball, ask any baseball player from anywhere around the world. i really wish you would stop attempting to lecture me on baseball, a subject you clearly have very little understanding of . yankees 26 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS(the best on earth, clearly) montreal canadiens 25 stanley cups. the two most sucessful sport franchises currently in the world
 fishernick
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2007 10:34:59 AM
the players in MLB are the best in the world. that is a fact. MLbaseball is a melting pot of the best players from all over the world. there is no other league that can even be mentioned in the same breath. yes it can be called the world series because it is a competition of the best players from all over the world. it takes place in the united states (i dont count toronto even though they forever tainted the sport). The world series of baseball has the undisputed best players in the world playing the game of baseball. maybe if there was a league that rivaled mlb then maybe you would have a argument that might make sense. but no league exists like that, can you euros fathom this concept or do you still think your pub teams should be given a chance to play the world champions
 fishernick
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2007 12:43:25 PM
read my previous posts. you keep saying the same thing over and over. i explained it very clearly why it is the world series and rightfully so. you have provided no compelling argument against it. the best in the world play MLB, thats the nuts and bolts of it. no other leagues compare even by the furthest stretch of european imagination.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2007 6:02:03 PM
Frankster I don't agree. Yes there are only 2 countries in baseball, BUT that is only the teams NOT the players. MLB players come from ALL over the WORLD (USA, Canada, Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic etc. Just because the teams are from only 2 countries doesn't mean that only 2 countries of players are involved. It is in essence the World Cup of Baseball because all the best players from the world are signed to the 30 teams from USA and 1 in Canada.
 fishernick
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 7:36:15 AM
hey pickmynose, i have tried to explain what you attempted again to explain to the euros and i have established its a lost cause. it is obviously far to complicated for them to comprehend. as you or anyone else could see in my previous posts in this thread i explained myself very clearly to no avail. i gave up and so should you, unless you can find some kind of soccer parallel that would have some meaning for them
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 5:51:49 PM
Frankster, you said the best football players play in the European Cup not the World Cup. To be honest I've never heard of the European Cup, please parden my ignorance. I have however heard of the World Cup. Frankster the best baseball players play in MLB and the World Series decides the Chamionship. My point was/is that the world series doesn't only involve two countries, it involves the whole world.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2007 7:26:49 AM
"it does involve only two countries, USA and Canada!" Pedro you are correct that in MLB only two countries have teams, BUT you are INCORRECT in thinking that only two nation of countries are involved as players. When the Toronto Blue Jays won the American East Division in 1985, 80% of their roster were from the Dominican and the whole country(Dominican Republic) were cheering for the Blue Jays even though they weren't from Canada. Now do you understand? Most baseball players strive to get to the Majors to make the most money thay can (ALL countries know this), that is why you don't see only Americans playing you see players from Japan, Cuba, Dominican, Canada etc. I also agree that team Japan or Cuba would do well vs team USA and may even win. I hope you now understand that MLB involves ALL COUNTIES and that is why it's called a WORLD SERIES.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2007 7:46:27 AM
I thought of a soccer parallel to help Europeans understand World Series of Baseball. I used to live in Toronto and when Italy won the world Cup you would have thought downtown Toronto was downtown Rome. It seems that this event brings out all the countries where immigrants were from. I hope this helps some of you understand
 fishernick
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2007 11:56:45 AM
euros stop preaching baseball. you know not what you speak of. pedro, cuba and japan would not stand a chance against the worst MLB baseball team. that statement alone shows your baseball IQ. MLB is unequivically the greatest baseball league in the world. the greatest players in the world play for MLB. no leagues compare. im not biased it is a fact. your solution is ridiculous, i hope you understand me. i know your brain wont be able to fathom the blunt statements i made poitnted directly at you. The world series clearly thrones the best team in the world every year. baseball players all over the world will tell you this. there is only confusion amongst people who dont understand baseball. i dont care or even have any desire to understand your soccer specifics. so stop trying to understand baseball when you clearly can not. and stop trying to change my opinion on a subject that i am passionate about and you just want to put a thorn in my side. i will clarify myself again pedro because these concepts clearly elude you grasp. MLB is the greatest baseball league in the world, fact. 95% of the greatest players in the world play for MLB. no leagues compare and no players compare that is why they rightfully call it the world series of baseball. try to understand the previous 2 sentences, please
 trivv
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/8/2007 12:00:19 PM
Pistions and Pacers i always thought was a big one
 fishernick
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2007 6:20:57 PM
the usa team in the world baseball classic was pathetic. just like in basketball the team was poorly thrown together with people who never played together. the united states owns baseball and basketball and football for that matter. how can the world baseball classic decide the best team when the best players are not even there. the american stars of sport would rather make money than go play for country. sad but true. major league sports are where the best players are at.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2007 5:46:23 AM
Although I hate the Boston RedSox and the NewYork Yankees, I know they would both easily defeat the Japan team. Although both teams DO have Japanese players on their team. Like explained earlier, the best players are playing professionally. That is why Canada wasn't winning the Gold in hockey before they allowed NHL players in the Olympics and USA weren't winning in basketball.
To go back to the original topic of most heated rivalry I would have to say Argos and TigerCats for the CFL. The fans can get heated, but not to the extreme that the Europeans do with killings and brawls.
 fishernick
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 7:59:18 AM
pedro you are a waste of thought and frankly i am tired of your nonstop putdowns about my intelligence. you know nothing of baseball. you talk about it like you understand it but you dont even know the basics. the WORLD SERIES is alive and well and the name will never be changed regardless what pedro thinks. MLB plays one of the longest seasons in all of sports. they are not going to start playing whatever countrys think they should have a shot according to pedro. you want a shot then make the big leagues. all these other players on all these other teams that you speak of cant make the big leagues. hey pedro i was pretending hatton was you this weekend, cant avoid reality no matter how deluded you are. time to eat canvas.
 fishernick
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 11:44:22 AM
in no way do i doubt my opinions, only yours. your ridiculous example of military dominance associates in no way with the world series debate. history tell us that the us is best for fighting wars and i honestly hope thats something we never have to prove again. so pedro the MLB declares the champion and then they go around the world and play all countrys that choose to throw a team together. so in a few years when they have defeated all the countrys that waisted thier time. then and only then will someone like you accept the title world champions. MLB envelops the world. THE BEST PLAYERS IN ALL THE WORLD PLAY MLB. it would make no sense for MLB players to play people who cant even play in the minor leagues. do you have a cognitive disability that wont allow you to process this information. they could play MLB on the moon and the winner of the season should still rightfully be called world champions.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >