Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Dating an amputee      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 windloverr
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Dating an amputeePage 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I've gone out with women who had had their brain removed; does that count?

Honestly, I've never had the opportunity one way or the other; I like to think it wouldn't make any difference. I've known amputees, and I know I didn't look at them any differently; but I've never been in a situation where a romantic involvement was a possibility.

On a seperate note; my ex was a therapist; and we would go to wheelchair basketball games. Talk about a blast; those guys are amazing! The games are very fast, very physical, balls to the wall, and their shooting is incredible. Sometimes when basketball players start shooting crappy shots they'll say "His legs are going away." You should see guys shooting who have no legs; completely smooth, and total skill. I highly recommend going to a game if you get the chance.
 marknbaltimore
Msg: 18
Dating an amputee
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:42:57 AM
NO not in a million years. Ask Paul McCartney how that turned out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 guyot
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:57:47 AM
I have no doubt that dating is harder for people with disabilities, yet there are definitely people out there who would welcome someone with disabilities into their hearts. Most of the women I have loved, starting with my first middle school girlfriend, have had some type of physical difference or disability. I regret none of these relationships. and believe that I have been much more fortunate in love than most people.

Sometimes people who like you will be shy, so it is fine to take a little risk and be the one to take the first step. I know that can be hard.

I wish you the best of luck, and send you and others with disabilities or differences the best of encouragement.

-Gray
 guyot
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 8/6/2008 8:41:32 AM
My own experience with amputees has been that they offer more, not less, PlanB. Vive la difference! As you say, it's all about what you have. I wish you productive fishing in good water.

-Gray
 bromac
Msg: 21
Dating an amputee
Posted: 8/16/2008 4:59:40 PM
Interesting topic and interesting posts.

In regards to this question, one of the products my company manufactures is a new type of elevating wheelchair system that goes way up giving the user complete height access to anything anyone else can get to. I recently did a custom job for a friend that i've known for years who has no arms, and needed one of the units to get her high enough to work in the kitchen with both feet. She cooks, and she sews, can tie shoelaces, open doors, drive and do pretty much anything that anyone else can do and possibly much more than some as well, and simply does it with her feet instead of hands.

In regards to dating an amputee, well i was married to one for 9 years and have dated several others. In regards to my ex, even though we weren't right to be married to each other she is a very sweet and wonderful woman, and we've maintained a wonderful friendship both before and after the marriage, and i've also dated amputees who were very much into power and who's purpose in a relationship was to hurt the person they loved as this is what gave them pleasure, needless to say those relationships didn't last very long as this is something i have no need to do to others nor will i have it done to me.

In regards to dating or being with one in the future, yes, absolutely, provided my other attractions are met, that she is also a person who knows how to let life be a peaceful and happy thing. I find the physical differences to be intresting and in some cases they can prove to be very erotic as well, and these are generally people who have overcome challenges and also know what life is about. The women i have no interest in dating are the thousands of typical common barbie dolls who's profiles are posted on here, who all want the same foolish things and in who's profiles i find no indication of any sort of character or substance of any kind, nor any difference between one and the next. Again, based on past experience these are more likely to use a man than to love him as they think they can get away with it because of how they look.

I suppose that the true disability is being "normal" as 99% of the people in this world are, and the one thing they have in common is that they are absolutely terrified of having to think for themselves and therefore simply do what society tells them to do and become what society wants them to be in order to "fit in". Since society's rules are generally established to maintain money and power for the people who already have it and prevent anyone else from going into competition for that money and power, this also guarantees that the "normal" person will not accomplish very much in their lives and the only reason they are able to survive in the first place is because of the 1% of us who are actually willing to think and come up with a means for them to do so :)

Anyway, theres my two cents worth, so i hope those reading this have at least found it entertaining :)

Dave :{)
 guyot
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 11/1/2009 2:54:17 PM
I would love to date an amputee. My two best and most fulfilling relationships of all time were with women who were amputees. One of them had other physical differences or disabilities too. There's no reason why a relationship with someone who is different should not have the same potential to be rich and wonderful as any other relationship.
 ASSMan316
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 2/13/2010 8:24:24 PM
I don,t think anyone here has a disability or amputation so we may be sympathetic but how do we understand what they are going through??

I do! questions comments???
 ASSMan316
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 2/13/2010 8:28:12 PM
kudos to anyone that would date someone with a disablility...i could.thats why i get so miffed about men not wanting to date women slighttly overweight..my God if youre going to be that superficial ...what happens if something as traumatic as an amputation occurs?? I see these folks all the time and the spouses that devote 100 % care /loyalty to them is truly amazing.
This allows you to quote a previous post.

Yes! this thread makes me happy
 ASSMan316
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 2/13/2010 10:52:21 PM
My ex fiance wasn't an amputee in the way you would thing. She was born missing half of one of her arms. Halfway down the forarm. I didn't care except for the fact handcuffs didn't really work on her. I did occasionally stick my foot in my mouth(no pun inteneted LOL) One time we were coming home from a road trip to san fran. We started un-packing the car and I was tired. She kept on handing me things to I got frustrated and without thinking said "hold your horses woman I only have to two god damned hands!!!

awww that's not why u broke up is it? :(
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 3/16/2010 1:50:05 PM

Call me an ass.. but NO NO NO and NOT a fukin chance...

OK, consider yourself called exactly that.

Although I've yet to date an amputee, I haven't really had the chance, unless you count my eighth grade crush, who was blind in one eye.

But my father is an amputee, having lost his right arm at the age of 12 when a barn collapsed on him. He and mom have been happily married for 54 years, but apparently she had to fend off quite a bit of competition when they were dating.

At one point, as he tells it, a woman he was NOT interested in kept sidling up close to him at church, despite his continued efforts to keep his distance. Finally she had him cornered, so he asked her "would you like to hold my hand?". "Yes!" was the reply, so he unscrewed his prosthetic hand and handed it to her.

A little humor can go a long way.....

Dave
 brewstec
Msg: 27
Dating an amputee
Posted: 9/12/2010 12:30:47 PM
As an amputee myself I can say that I have heard much of the things people have said in this forum. I have been an amputee for about 8 years now and I must say it can be very difficult meeting someone or I should say staying with someone once they find out your missing part of a body part. its funny because the conversation is geat until its time to be fair and reveal that I'm missinghalf a leg and part of a foot. So in a nutshell it is frustrating and staying optimistic about having a love life ain't easy.
 bromac
Msg: 28
Dating an amputee
Posted: 10/10/2011 7:54:35 PM
A short time ago, i lost the most precious thing in the world to me and the love of my life passed away in my arms after a long and ongoing battle with cancer.

She was the most wonderfully and uniquely beautiful person i have ever encountered in my entire life. She was a beautiful slender woman, with a single long and beautiful leg, having had the other amputated at the hip due to sarcoma at a young age. I have always had a very special and specific attraction for a woman such as her, which is a little out of the ordinary in terms of what society generally regards as perfection, but also not uncommon. In my case it is a simple physical attraction, in that i found her unique lack of body symmetry to be a wonderfully special and beautiful thing and the missing leg made the remaining one so wonderfully and uniquely beautiful as well. She had several prosthetic legs but preferred to use her crutches and i was always amazed at how graceful and beautiful she was getting around on them as well. What made things absolutely wonderful between us, is that she loved and appreciated her own unique form of beauty as much as i did and as such absolutely loved my special attraction for her as well. She was a kind, honest, and wonderfully capable and talented girl and she was an absolute pleasure to do things for as she simply loved and appreciated every little thing i did for her so much. During the short time we had together, my purpose in life was to make her happy and it was through her happiness that i was able to achieve the same for myself as well.

Shortly after we met several years ago, she came down with breast cancer and after the surgery and 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation, she was still testing positive for cancer in her system. I'm and old German witch doctor and know of two very effective remedies which target and kill cancer on a cellular level which the cancer treatment industry has done all in its power to suppress, as they actually stand a very good chance of working and they are simple enough that there is no money to be made treating cancer with either of them. Once this was all done, i got to work on her and we eliminated the small amount of cancer she had left in the course of 10 days of adjusting her body chemistry for it to work and 2 where we were actively killing the remaining cancer cells after which she tested no trace of it. She then had to return to her original home for several months to finish up her work obligations and in this time the radiation treatments she had received previously created secondary cancer in her lungs. Regrettably, she let the Oncologist talk her into more chemotherapy for this after which the cancer had spread but was finally declared in "remission". She had been back here for a little less than a month and we were again working on her cancer ourselves when the plural cavity around her lungs began filling up with fluid. We thought it was fibrosis created by the radiation treatments she had peviously as the initial symptoms were the same, but things got to the point where she just couldn't pull air anymore and i had to rush her to the emergency room. As it turned out, the cancer had started spreading like fire sometime since her oncologist declared it in remission and when she arrived here and from what the scans at the hospital revealed we had already stopped and destroyed what had spread into her chest bones and liver from her lungs in the week and a half we had our method actively working. The cause of the fluid buildup in her lungs was one of the chemo drugs her oncologist had given her as at that point the cancer was not advanced enough to have been the reason for it. Bottom line is she spent 2 weeks in the hospital where they were trying to stop the production of the fluid with no success. During that time when we couldn't administer the treatment and the cancer had started spreading again and they thought that by this point it was contributing to the fluid buildup as well. They basically diagnosed her as terminal and sent her to a hospice to die. Once there we resumed treatment and got an immediate and very strong reaction to it and based on that and the fact that the fluid production from her plural cavity was coming down by half each day, we were again killing cancer in droves, but over the last couple of days the fluid buildup from the chemo drug resumed again and her heart finally gave out after racing at 150 beats per minute for the previous 3 weeks because of that. The morning before she died, she woke up and although she was too weak to talk she gave me the most beautiful smile when she saw me sitting beside her bed.

Certainly there can be no worse pain than seeing her suffer and die over the course of her past few weeks, except the pain of knowing that the single hope i had of life becoming a good and happy thing died with her. Before she died, she expressed a wish that i should try to find another girl just like her to whom i could give the love and happiness which i had wanted to share with her for the rest of our lives, but since in her i had each and every one of my attractions so perfectly, i.e. a single HD leg amputee in a beautiful slender girl and otherwise everything in wanted in terms of someone to love, i.e. she knew how to love and be loved and how to let life be a peaceful and happy thing without creating problems in order to try and feel powerful, unless i could find these things in someone else i would simply be wishing that i had her which would not be fair to whomever i'd end up with. I have discovered through her, that a perfect love is a result of having all of the things we want and need in the person we love as she seemed to have with me as well and having experienced this love and shared it with her, i don't see any possible way for my own life to continue unless i can find and share that same love with someone else again, nor do i expect that there is much chance of finding this, as this is something so rare, i don't expect that the opportunity could come along more than once in a person's lifetime.

According to her wish though, i'm telling our story in places where another such wonderfully and uniquely special and beautiful woman might find it and will wait a short time in order to see if she indeed does. If someone like her does find this and is interested in having the same perfect love and attraction for herself and who might have the same for me, then i will leave it up to you to contact me and let me know that your interested and we can take things from there and see if things can be made to work. If so, you will be saving my life, which from that point on will be lived for the purpose of bringing you love and happiness as it was with her and the only conditions under which these things are being offered are simply that you be willing and able to accept them from me.
 tonietaz
Msg: 29
Dating an amputee
Posted: 4/2/2012 2:20:14 AM
I would like to ty for how you stand up for amputees. I just recently lost my right leg to a car accident. after 4 years and 16 surgeries to try to fix my leg the only thing left was to not be able to walk and live with the pain. which if i did according to some of these post i would still be normal. I decided to go with the amputation why, lets see here i have 3 children and cant do too much if i cant walk and in pain 24 hours a day. I do have a prosethic leg and with pants on you would never be able to notice that I had an amputation. It is narrow minded people that make someone with an amputation feel like they are not normal. and yes I as an amputee would rather you ask about it then sit there and stare at me like i am a freak. but once again ty for posting your thoughts about how some of these people are just trash on how they feel about an amputee person. God help them that they get in a accident and lose something ( its not like i wanted to lose my leg i didnt ask for it to happen).
 Kohmelo
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Dating an amputee
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:26:49 PM
An amputee or a chick in a wheelchair - in my opinion it'd be like riding a scooter - fun until your friends find out
 not_single_x
Msg: 31
Dating an amputee
Posted: 4/27/2013 12:50:59 PM
I was once jogging down the beach and ran across a woman who had no arms and legs.

She said to me "I want to get F##ked".

I took one look at her, thought about it for a minute, picked her up, threw her into the ocean and said "You are officially F##Ked"
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Dating an amputee