Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Belle Requin
Msg: 94
Food for when your being cheap or being poorPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

They always choose canned corn, canned fruit, lots of snacks, canned beans, hamburger helper, weiners, cheese, canned juice with mostly sugar and no juice, and sweet cereals. We sometimes have to throw food away that expires. It is just crazy.
I hate to say it, but that may be because they don't know what to do with fresh food, or how to prepare it. We gave pots and pans as a wedding gift to a mid 20's couple- it took them two weeks to open them up. Cans require nothing more than open and microwave. Hamburger helper has instructions. A steak does not come with instructions.
 TooShadows
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Food for when your being cheap or being poor
Posted: 7/29/2009 11:49:06 AM
I've had a tough year so far,with no work in my field. Employment Insurance takes care of basic bills and the like,but my grocery budget has been pretty tiny. I've been able to stock up a couple of times,such as with my income tax refund,but I have had to make a few trips to the local food bank to help out.

I like to make stews and soups as much as possible. You can use use fresh,frozen or canned vegetables,and poultry or beef or pork. Even ground meats can be used for a good stew. With a loaf of bread or a package of buns you can get a few meals out of a good sized pot,and the rest can be frozen and stored for later.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 7:48:50 PM
..I'll second that notion on remembering the friends with gardens...Sheesh I think I've thrown out about 50 lbs. of yellow summer squash and zuchinni so far this summer. I just got my carrots started 3 weeks ago...and will have fresh carrots from the garden all winter...even when it's so cold you hesitate to open the door. I mulch the carrots with about 8 inches of leaves...so the ground doesn't freeze..and dig them all winter. I always seem to have much more lettuce than I need...sometimes I even let one plant go to seed to save the seed for next year...It's pretty simple to pull out a plant and let it dry in the garage until the seeds can be harvested. The green beans are coming on great right now...I suppose I might need to water them a bit between pickings. I usually get 3 pickings off of one row..but if I take care of them..there will be more, enough for several meals. The cabbages are looking fine...and I can't wait to fry some...it's much tastier than boiling it. The one thing I've always felt was silly to grow..was potatoes. Geez..they're so cheap in the store or farmers market, it's a shame to waste the garden space on them. So this year I decided to try something fun. I got a couple of plastic 55 gallon barrels and put 6 inches of compost in them with several potatoes in the bottom
then as the potatoes grew..I'd fill it up with more compost. After a couple months..the potatoes are standing up out of the top of the barrel...with compost almost to the rim. I'm thinking this will be really fun to see how many lbs. of potatoes can be harvested this way. The funniest thing is there haven't been any potato beetles on them...and I almost always had beetles chewing them to shreds before.
 Mauipinto
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2012 12:30:19 PM
Old chicken? Like how to die of food poisoning! They cook those inhouse chickens after they get slimy in the raw chicken cooler!
Cheap food in Hawaii when you live near Hilo is buying papayas seven for a dollar at the farmers market. Or growing your own bananas and papayas if you have even a 20 by 20 foot yard---the trees mature in a year and bear fruit. And we can grow lettuce and tomatoes and carrots all year round.

And like I said, fruit and vegetables are available every day at the Hilo open market. $2 buys a pound of lichee. Or a pound of green beans. Bananas are cheap too. Lettuce is about $1 a head, cabbage about $2 for a big head, either bok choy or ordinary white cabbage.

I swear you don't have to be unhealthy just because you have a tight food budget.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2012 10:59:48 AM
Since luring my freezer into life, frozen veg and fish fingers are great. Plus dried pasta/ rice and tinned tomatoes/ tuna. If anyone else has a prob with their freezer, I have a built in kitchen, the freezer door was attached to the outer door. Remove attachment, and freezer door seals.
Gladsomeone has started a gardening thread here,as I'm planning to get a huge shrub removed from my back garden , and will be starting to grow own veg. A friend does the same thing, and I think swapping produce could be the way to go.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/13/2012 6:39:13 PM
i took the bones from the thanksgiving turkey and turned it into stock.

which i used to make turkey marsala risotto.

which i turned into fried patties the next day.

k.w.
frugal, never cheap
 Moonchild51
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:13:53 AM
I do the same thing Mr. S...buy meat when it is on special. Bring it home and break it into smaller cuts for multiple meals. When I put meat in the freezer, I will add seasonings to it just before and seal the bag. that way, it marinates when it is thawing out. Great way to save money!
 bamagrl68
Msg: 109
Posted: 10/15/2012 4:00:23 PM
whitey2(d1380868) - Ramen noodles are cheap and can be used in a variety of ways-soup, pasta, to make a quick and easy stir fry, etc.
Grilled cheese and PB and J are great sandwiches.
When I go shopping, I always look for marked down meat and freeze it. Especially chicken breasts and ground meet.
For a cheap, filling meal, rice and beans works well.
Pasta bought in bulk can last for months.
I also swear by potatoes to create quick, filling meals.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 111
Posted: 10/16/2012 4:18:36 PM
pbj sandwiches! good tasty and easy on the wallet.
 troheat38
Msg: 113
Posted: 10/30/2012 1:37:59 AM
Try food bank it works in a pinch
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/1/2012 2:15:30 PM
if one is truly broke, one could eat instant ramen-- the choice for poor college students.
 Watermanmax
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/1/2012 10:23:02 PM
go for quality - smaller more varied meals from diverse foods

AND get fit and loose weight....

no harm in adding style rather than width

:-)
 Molly Maude
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2012 1:28:34 PM
I love the above idea of meat balls and cabbage soup ... sounds
good ... in fact, ANY soup sounds good today when it's miserable,
overcast and drizzling rain ...

but ... anyone interested in eating cheap might want to check out the
thread on "road kill" here in the "Recipes and Cooking" forum ... THOSE
people have views on eating cheap!
 dsljim
Msg: 122
Posted: 11/10/2012 4:52:01 PM
Stopped at a Roadside stand yesterday, 2 huge cauliflowers big head of red cabbage, and 2 big bunches of broccoli. ( 3× what you get in a store ) all for $7.50.
 Vannili
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2012 7:57:16 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the post, it is really nice to know some people who have in common with me.. I don't buy meat very much now , dried any beans ,green beans when it is on sale and tofu is my protien diet.. I am not cheap ,but being poor is not an excuse for malnutrition.
Have a great day.
 trackgreg
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2012 2:23:34 PM
Baked beans and canned sardines are a great source of cheap protien
 trackgreg
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2012 2:40:13 PM
your right high flight,canned salmon and tuna are great and cheap
 CapricornAquarius
Msg: 131
Posted: 11/26/2012 11:10:41 PM
Fresh produce, especially local is usually pretty affordable. And if bought on a weekly basis it shouldn't go to waste. Veggies are a great source of fiber and though it's not the most taste fulfilling it will fill you up and sustain that feeling.
Always keep olive oil and garlic, I promise you with these two things you can NEVER ever go wrong with. Get the olive oil going on medium heat, sweat out the garlic throw in your greens or whatever you like, serve over rice or a pasta.

Want something heartier? A nice stock or soup base of your choice, throw in veggies of your choice, little seasoning and maybe toast or even that PB sandwich you make and you have got yourself a simple, affordable yet healthy fulfilling meal.

I think it's a better alternative to the top ramen diet.

Hope this helps!
 natalkah
Msg: 133
Posted: 1/9/2013 3:18:30 AM
peanutbutter is loaded with sugar too.
 texasbaby
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2013 4:31:49 AM
Peanut butter ~ 1 serving = 2 tablespoons and contains less than 3 grams of sugar. Doesn't seem like a lot of sugar to me, the 2 slices of bread needed to make a sandwich probably have a lot more.

tb
 ButterflyFlutterby1
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/11/2013 9:14:27 PM
icecream that last for three months in the freezer! I would like to see this in my home, the record is a week! :)
 CharminC
Msg: 137
Posted: 1/12/2013 2:09:19 PM
Peanut butter ~ 1 serving = 2 tablespoons and contains less than 3 grams of sugar. Doesn't seem like a lot of sugar to me, the 2 slices of bread needed to make a sandwich probably have a lot more.

^^
Doesn't this vary according to the brand of pb?
 TheKiteRunner2003
Msg: 138
Posted: 1/14/2013 12:44:09 PM
Wild Banana Pitas

1 sheet of pita bread (whole grain brown)
smooth peanut butter
nutella or tahini infused with chocolate
cinnamon
vanilla extract or any other syrup

Slather peanut butter and nutella on the center, across. Sprinkle cinnamon then place whole peeled banana on pita. pour a bit of your favorite syrup over your banana then wrap. Serve at room temp or chilled with black teas or fruit drinks. Also, you can lightly toast your pita after it's wrapped to give it the rustic taste. =3
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/17/2013 7:08:56 AM
Someone into body building made this and I tried it. It was surprisingly good, though it initially sounded gross (to me).

1 box creamy mac&cheese, prepared
Add 1 can tuna, drained

44 grams of protein per serving.
Fills you up, it's cheap, and its quick/easy to make.
The generic creamy mac&cheese isn't as good for this, IMO.

Same thing for:
1 can cream of mushroom soup with 3/4 can water heated to a boil.
Turn off, add 1 can instant rice, cover.
Salt, pepper, butter if wanted. Very filling and very fast but low nutrition.
 CharminC
Msg: 140
Posted: 1/17/2013 2:24:24 PM
That reminds me of what my kids' father and his family does; mac n cheese, canned cream of mushroom soup and canned tuna.
I've never tried it... and won't
I rarely make it for my kids since I prefer fresh ingredients.

Also a similar meal is an old fiance of mine from back in the day who was into bodybuilding. He just finished a competition when I started him. He always ate Mr. Noodles with canned tuna. ALWAYS!!!
Needless to say.. I rarely kissed Mr. tunabreath
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >