Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Divalicious52
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Food for when your being cheap or being poorPage 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I always keep cheese and tortillas around, you can make creative meals if you have ground beef or ground turkey with them of simply cheese crisp. I don't consider it being cheap or poor, I consider it resourceful, I don't classify myself as either, being blessed and thankful will provide for you and poor is not on my radar.
 Vannili
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Food for when your being cheap or being poor
Posted: 2/19/2013 6:40:36 AM
savant and raxarsr,
I cook your recipes, chicken and saurkraut, it is so delicious, I eat it with rice and put some in bread as a sandwich to take to work. Food for a week.
I wish you two were in my town,so I can invite you guys for a dinner of chicken saurkraut . I love saurkraut, it remind me of Filipino Atchara, that I have not eaten for a long time since I came to the States, it is made of green papaya.

Thank you very much for the recipes, I think I will try it on beef/pork/ fish, that now I know that saurkraut is for cooking too.

God Bless you Mr.raxarsr and Mr. savant.

Vannili
 raxarsr
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2013 2:43:44 PM
i'm glad you liked it vannilli......and thank you for the gracious invite

while i've never had saurkraut with beef or fish...........i cant imagine why it wouldnt be good
you make pork and kraut the same way you made the chicken..........make sure theres some fat left on the pork........and adding a sliced apple or 2 is pretty good too
 Molly Maude
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2013 5:30:52 PM
today, I'm making a ground beef enchilada casserole ... same thing as
the chicken but far easier! I start with a layer of corn tortillas on the
bottom of the 13" x 9" ungreased casserole dish ... that takes 6 tortillas ...

then I layer on refried beans, in my case, fat-free ... chunks of onions,
chopped olives, sometimes other veggies ... slices of milk-free cheddar
and pepperjack "cheese" ... the meat filling, whatever I'm choosing to
use this time ... after I'd cooked the 97% fat-free ground beef, I drained
it then even put it onto paper towels to eliminate more of the fat ... poured
over (this time) red enchilada sauce ... (with chicken or pork, I frequently
use green enchilada sauce) ... top with ANOTHER layer of 6 corn tortillas!
more enchilada sauce and more "cheese" ... I used a checker-board
pattern for the "cheese" ... I let it just rest on the counter for probably 20
to 30 minutes before stashing it in a 325 degree oven till it smells done ...

that will make 8 to 12 good sized servings ... that's not very expensive at
all ... and the servings are really convenient ... they heat really well ...
 Albvs
Msg: 171
Posted: 2/20/2013 4:06:53 PM
I got into this routine once that involved buying a $4 whole chicken once a week. I'd roast it and eat a quarter of it that same evening. The next day I'd make tortillas from scratch and then eat another quarter of the chicken like that. I'd next make tuna salad or just a chicken sandwich. The fourth meal would be another quarter of a chicken, say, with rice.

At this point I'd make stock from what was left, reduce that down and add broken-up fettucini to make chicken soup, for example. Since I had the masa flour, the rice, the pasta and could make bread from flour & yeast all that turns into some rather inexpensive meals altogether and the quality is good since you make it yourself. I'd say that the average cost per meal was about a dollar.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2013 8:34:26 PM
for me, my bottom line is the same as Peerless' ... there are no genetically modified
ingredients ... if I make it, as long as I know what's in the ingredients I use, I can
have my foods be as pure as possible ... of course, there are still bunches of variables
... e.g., what the chicken was fed ... I'd be happier if I could avoid even more toxic
elements ... I don't want to be ill because someone decided to line a can with a toxic
plastic that destroys my kidneys ... or created a kernel of corn that grows with
pesticides inside it ... scary stuff ...
 Albvs
Msg: 175
Posted: 2/21/2013 9:45:34 PM
I lived down in Peru for three months and the people down there are amazingly thrifty so I learned from them.

An approximately 4-lb. bag of corn masa flour (Harina de Maíz) will run you about... $6 or less in a Mexican grocery store here. The ingredients for corn tortillas are: corn flour + water. That's it. So you can make about 216 corn tortillas for $6 or about $0.03 each.

Flour tortillas are flour, baking powder, salt, a small amount of lard or shortening and water. A 5-lb bag of all-purpose flour might set you back $1.80-$2.00 for the cheapest variety. Flour tortillas are often made larger. So you can make about 75 four tortillas for $2 or about $0.05 each (guessing, since there are other ingredients).

The standard south-of-the-border diet creates proteins without meat, usually, by combining foods in such a way that your body can build proteins from amino acids.

beans + grain (like rice) = complete protein
beans & vegetables (like corn) + grain = complete protein
nuts & seeds (like many of the dried seasonings) + grain = complete protein

So in other words, people in poor areas are getting a nutritious-yet-inexpensive meal without expensive meats by mixing the standard beans + rice + corn (meal) or flour type of foods.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 12:25:49 PM
I made a white Northern bean soup last night ... I rinsed the beans, put them over the
fire to come to a boil, boiled for maybe 2-3 minutes, turned off the heat and let them
rest for a couple of hours (because I forgot about them!)

rinsed the beans off again a couple of times ... added more water and brought to a
boil ... after about 30 minutes of cooking, I added a raw pork chop from the freezer
... just tossed it in and let that cook ... after 1.5 hours of cooking, I added salt, onions
and parsley ... at about 2 hours of cooking, I pulled out the pork chop, removed all
the visible fat and shredded the lean meat back into the soup, also adding the bone back
into the soup ... then I cut up and added some carrots ...

at about 2.5 hours of simmering, I put it in the frig for today ... this morning, I had
some for breakfast ... (I live alone ... I can do whatever I like!) ... it was WONDERFUL!

so I made 6 servings of a wonderful soup for under $2 ... so maybe 35 cents a serving?
or less ... for a more complete protein, you could serve this with homemade cornbread!
the soup was low fat, too ... (smile ... my gallbladder thanks me!)
 Albvs
Msg: 179
Posted: 2/24/2013 10:01:19 AM
If you have a heavy-duty meat cleaver it's good to slice bigger bones in half. It'll allow the marrow to escape. Another trick is to cut the bones in two and then roast them first in a very hot oven for a bit to both loosen the marrow and to char it a little.

Sounds like a great soup you've made. :) Yeah... definitely on the cornbread. Try cornbread sticks (similar to breadsticks) for a soup. You'd probably want more flour so that they wouldn't break up too much.

When I make beans I usually will take out about a cup of the cooked beans and then mash them with a ricer or a potato masher. I then put them back into the main dish and stir them back in. It's a simple way of thickening them up.
 Albvs
Msg: 180
Posted: 2/24/2013 10:03:09 AM

Chocolate pudding with avocados.

Er, what? Are the avocados mashed/blended in...?
 CharminC
Msg: 181
Posted: 2/24/2013 11:59:58 AM
Chocolate pudding with avocados.

^^
I wonder if this is the same as my avocado mousse I always make
If googled, there are quite a few variations of the type of sweetener and liquids when making this.
I simply puree avocado with enough cocoa, vanilla, honey, and almond milk to suit my taste.
I LOVE this stuff!

Someone asked about flax seeds. I treat mine as if they are nut because of its' nutty taste.
I'll sprinkle it on anything from a toast with peanut butter to my greek yogurt and granola mixture. I often add it to my cookie batters.
Grounded flax is often added to the flour in my cookie, cake and pancake recipes.
Did you know that a mixture of ground flax and water can be used as a substitute for eggs? It works! I've often done this whenever I'm out of eggs.
 Albvs
Msg: 182
Posted: 2/24/2013 1:37:53 PM
Alright, alright... gonna have to try this one. I really hope--in the cocoa versus avocado color contest--that the cocoa wins this one. Do we need egg whites or something that will keep the shape of the whipped-up bubbles? Hmm...

Wish I could get fresher avocados here. <_<

^^^ Wheat germ seems to be my version of your flax seeds.

I'd suggest heating up your flax seeds in a pan by themselves. It should ramp up the nutty flavor. (You do that for a variety of Caribbean jerk spices, btw.)

Bonus points if you know why I'm thinking of Claude Debussy right now.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2013 11:55:50 PM
ok ... it's been more than a DAY and no one knows why you're thinking of Claude Debussy, Albvs ...
WE GIVE UP ... tell us!

I think wheat germ is totally different from flax seeds ... check health food stores for flax seeds ...

the avocado chocolate pudding I made was HORRIBLE, awful and I haven't been able to eat anything
with avocado in it since I made that disgusting chocolate pudding ... shuddering as I think of it ... I'm
sure it was that my recipe was flawed ... or my technique lacked something ... others have make it and
love it ... mine however was completely gaggy and cringe-worthy ...
 Albvs
Msg: 184
Posted: 2/26/2013 2:15:46 PM
Claude Debussy's "The Girl With the FLAXen Hair" is one of my favorite compositions for piano.

http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=aDMovZYNW_U
 Molly Maude
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:25:57 PM
LAFFING ... I did blend flax seeds with the water I was adding to make bread ...
and YUM ... the result not only tastes wonderful ... but it has also made the bread
bind together better ... I don't use wheat in my diet so it's a challenge to get rice
flour to bind together well in situations like bread and/or corn bread or cake ... the
flax seeds worked wonderfully ...

so, Protocol ... HAVE you blended the chocolate into the avocado happily? you'll
have to share your masterful pudding methods ... tell me exactly where I went wrong
in the process !!!

LAFFING ...
 CharminC
Msg: 188
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:26:24 PM
Molly dear, why don't you tell us how you made it and Procol and I might see where it may have gone wrong.
I will state that you must understand that it's not going to taste exactly like chocolate pudding or mousse. There is avocado in it but with the right amount of cocoa and sweetener, I personally found it divine. I was happy to knowing it's healthier too.
Mind you though, I am the chick who also raves about her black bean fudge :P lol
 Albvs
Msg: 189
Posted: 2/27/2013 8:50:17 PM
^^ Oh, well... if you keep that up I'm going to have to post about mashed potato Italian bread and tomato chocolate cake.
 CharminC
Msg: 190
Posted: 2/27/2013 9:08:00 PM
Bet my Beetroot cake would knock your tomato chocolate cake on it's ass.

Back to thread topic....
Tonight I made Pork dumpling Soup for under $10 and it fed my minions and I with giant servings. There's leftovers for tomorrow.

Sliced Pork Shoulder Blade $2.10
Package of Vegetable Gyozas $4.40
chicken broth
sliced carrots
handful of spinach (scallions can be substitued)
sliced ginger
1 tbls soy sauce,1tbls balsamic vinegar, 1tsp sherry,1 tsp sesame oil, salt/ pepper to taste
I combined the liquids, broth, carrots and meat first in a big pot of water til carrots are cooked.
Dumplings next then spinach. Be careful not to overcook or the dumplings will fall apart.
 Albvs
Msg: 192
Posted: 2/27/2013 9:52:29 PM

i've always known it as ravioli

Sounds a bit like an Italian version of pot stickers.
 Albvs
Msg: 193
Posted: 2/27/2013 10:24:10 PM
Get a slice of cheese ($0.15) ready, as well as salt/pepper, a Tbs of butter ($0.09) and a burrito-size flour tortilla ($0.10). Start warming a sauce pan while scrambling two eggs ($0.20). Add the butter and just as it's begun to brown in the pan add the eggs. When it's still a little runny flip it over and immediately season it and add the slice of cheese and drop the tortilla over all. Turn off the heat and let it stay there for another moment while you grab a plate. Invert onto the plate, immediately fold into thirds.

At $0.54 I like it since it's a small amount of food that's packed with flavor and has reasonable calories (400) with a balanced amount of protein (17g), carbs (22g) and fat (21g).
 MsMaureenw
Msg: 195
Posted: 3/3/2013 2:37:32 PM
What a fun post!

My grocery bill is never over $60 and hangs out usually at $40- 45 and that is for my daughter and I. Granted she also goes off to her Dad's as we have joint custody.

Perhaps it is the way we eat. Sometimes produce is more certain weeks. I'm loving oranges were 4 for a dollar and beautiful lemons 5 for a dollar. Avocados and Pomegranates are 1 each as well. Pomegranates are my down fall. No sooner than I clean them, drain them and put them at the fridge I'm standing with the door open eating them. Love Pomegranates.

I eat a lot of steel cut oats in the morning with Flax/hemp/chia. I'll have egg whites with them. I love steel cut oats. The upside other than health is that it is super cheap; I can't say that for hemp and chia seeds, but flax meal is pretty reasonable.

Snacks are fruit and a cheese stick or fruit and nuts. Sometimes peanut butter on half english muffin. Sometimes chia pudding.

Lunches are usually Spinach salads/Homemade Bean burgers, Soup/ filled pita, meat/rice/veggie.

After lunch snack is whatever: homemade white bean humus, baked chick peas, fruit.

Dinners depends on if my daughter is here. If she is here, a meat course is in order as is the traditional potatoes and rice. Veggie on the side.

If I am alone, it is sweet potatoes/meat or a salad with leftover meat. Sometimes just soup. Can I openly admit, I the last ten cherries out of the jar over the kitchen sink and called that dinner on Friday, but promptly went back for a cheese stick.... Shhhshh!

I also tend to use everything of what I buy. Before it goes bad, I will freeze it. I'll make broth out of bones. I make my own bread.

However, my favorite all time cheap meal is homemade tortillas, black beans, rice , bit of cheese with hot peppers....

Oh...and homemade fried tortilla chips are good too. I've not made them in a few years; now I want some.... Homemade baked pretzels are wonderful as well.

My favorite all time cheap snack and if I made a million dollars I'd love this as well...... freshly made popcorn on the STOVE in a POT with a bit of melted butter....
 Albvs
Msg: 196
Posted: 3/3/2013 5:14:10 PM
Yeah, bulk popcorn is hard to beat on price versus its ability to fill you up. ;)

And yes, hummus (chick peas) is a great food, easy enough to make and cheap as well. I purée some roasted bell peppers in mine and add powdered cayenne.
 Albvs
Msg: 197
Posted: 3/3/2013 5:15:19 PM

Bet my Beetroot cake...

Wouldn't mind having the recipe for this one...
 MsMaureenw
Msg: 198
Posted: 3/3/2013 6:30:44 PM
I love chick peas! I also like to mix a can of them with a tablespoon or so of olive oil, sea salt and spices baked on low heat. Sometimes I'll add parm cheese with fresh cracked pepper and omit the spices and salt. I like making Kale chips like this as well.
 Tayfire
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2013 11:28:08 AM
For me beans on toast or scrambled egg,which i occasionally do have for lunch when out and go to a cafe. I was out with my mother last saturday the 23rd and had scrambled egg she had the same but on a roll.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >