Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Have you ever paid to use a dating site?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 miladybug
Msg: 101
Have you ever paid to use a dating site?Page 5 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

I've always liked LL because you can start by sending a free smile, which to me was like making eye contact from across the room. If you get a smile back, then time to say "hello" for real. If you don't get a smile back, then you know there's no interest and you move on. No hard feelings.

On this site, you send a message or IM somebody right up front, which is great too. Guess it's just me, but I don't like to ignore somebody who I may not be interested in, but who has taken the time to write me a note. So I feel badly to write back saying "thanks but you're not my type". And feel just as badly on those rare times where I just don't reply at all.

Canucklehead, I don't see that there's a huge difference between getting no response from your scenarios 1 and 2. It's still rejection, although I'll grant you that in the second instance, it's a smidgen more blatant. Isn't handling rejection part of this process?
 classijannii
Msg: 102
Have you ever paid to use a dating site?
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:27:41 AM
Yes, I've paid for dating sights. The best in my opinion was E-Harmony, but I see the same people here and different ones and it's free, I think I'd rather waste my time on a free sight until the right one comes along.
 archange1
Msg: 103
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:55:32 AM
For a very small amount of time, but not since I have found POF.
 electrifie
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:13:48 AM
Yea and like everyone here is saying. It was a waste of time and money. I actually tries a couple of them Match mostly, a waste of time and money. But the biggest, most expensive, least productive and least satisfying rip off of all is EHarmony. They should be sued and taken off the internet.
 Kurtr
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:21:08 AM
Yes I have, Americansingles,Perfectmatch. True none did anything for me. Men I have talked to have been on Eharmoney,somespamsite. Same respones just spent money for nothing.

Kurt
 fsgemni115397
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:13:52 AM
yes ive paid. it does suck. but this site isnt getting me anywhere . but free is good.
 handyman_24212
Msg: 107
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:35:14 AM
Yepp !!!!! I have been a paying member on as many as 3 at one time.... Gets expensive.... Thanks POF..... This sight "rocks" I don't know why everybody dosn"t use it... Tell all your friends......
 DivineBovine
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 12:19:40 PM
PoF is my 4th site after Orkut (a waste if you're looking for dating), where i heard about OK Cupid (almost everyone local to my then residence was 20 years my junior). someone on OKC told me about Casual Kiss/Campus Kiss and i did pay for a one year membership there back in the fall of 2004. my profile is still there even though my membership lapsed.

heard about this site from someone there last spring and i like it so much more.

my life has honestly, truly been changed for the better by becoming a member here.

the London crew was so kind that i made up my mind to apply for a transfer at work to come here because i wasn't happy in Ottawa. i did have to go through an open competition, but i got the job and i have moved and i suspect that once i get settled in my own home next week, i will have a greatly improved quality of life even if i don't find Prince Charming!

lexus430
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/19/2006 12:55:59 PM
hey this place is good for a laugh. once in awhile someone says something usefull , but as far as landing something haha the women will give you hang in there buddy shit for you but gotta say dating sites are fantasyland
 TiredofBS
Msg: 110
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:10:38 PM
I've tried several over the years, they were all....Disasters. Just my 2 cents. JD
 greggym50
Msg: 111
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:23:30 PM
no I have not paid for a on line dating service. It is just a way for them to empty your bank account. Another thing is, there can not be that many good looking women in one site. I notice to, that most of them is all about cam girls. If a person would buy a playboy, it would be a lot cheaper.
 blondago56
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:25:26 PM
Yes, i have a profile on a couple other sites, but i love The Forums here, used to participate a lot back in the day, and recommended PoF to a few people at the 'other' sites...i have met people from all of them , but the diversity and format here is ...um...'vast'.... lol...
 acoustic amatuer
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:46:44 PM
no, why bother with money when you can get on here?
 miladybug
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:54:21 PM

So there's why I say I prefer that initial filter of being able to smile first, chat later. Make any more sense or am I still nuts? lol!

Sometimes regardless of the tact, the other person will misinterpret what is said. You're not responsible for another's response; they alone are in control of that.

Your preferences about how you choose to communicate are your own. Period. I simply didn't understand the reasoning behind it; to me it seemed to be a bit contradictory. However, I appreciate your explanation. And no, you're not nuts (but the jury's still out.)
 † §weet £eaƒ †
Msg: 115
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:58:56 PM
I had a free profile for a few years on another site that went paid subscription... it is a pretty good site and allows for a bit more visual/audio creativity when putting together your profile with HTML , but I told anyone who contacted me to join this site so they could see my pics.... I got well over 100 guys to join over the years. I have since strayed away from my other free profile with limitations and troll PoF exclusively!
† §weet £eaƒ †
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/19/2006 2:18:14 PM
I must admit to being tempted a few times because there were some replies to my profile that were particularly good. However,because I encode my email address in ways most reasonably intelligent and interested people can understand,I never subscribe and say as much in my profiles(match/Yahoo/BPC/LA/LH ect.). My concern with most sites is that 1)you don't always know whether the profile is active and can return email at the time you subscribe and 2)Its hard to tell which profiles are real people sometimes 3) It seems too much like paying for the OPPORTUNITY to date!(I can find dates anyday at a club) 4)I seek QUALITY that is difficult to assess from a profile(many profiles seem lazily done) I also wondered from the start whether some sites have bots or people that automatically send some people messages/winks/icebreakers ect.

I like POF, the data bank seems considerably smaller than some other sites like Match.com/yahoopersonals particularly among non-smokers in my area. I mostly visit POF for forums. I kinda hooked.
 terr200408
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/19/2006 2:30:09 PM
Yes, I sure did, and I sure don't know why I did it. After I paid my American Dollars, I learned they were a Brittish firm..........so not only did I lose $$$ to join, I also helped finance a foreign company. Their service was bad at any rate, and I sure would not go back to them even if they paid me to be there. Thanks to Plenty Of Fish for the service they provide!
 Ghost-rider
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/19/2006 2:38:00 PM
Hell o all
Yes i have paid for one other site and
it was a waste of money for 1 year.
I like this site because it is FREE and
you can contact anyone you like.
have a good day ghost.rider Greg
 LadySunDevil
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:17:11 PM
Yep.....and it was such a rip-off!

I had no idea how they worked until I read on POF about the lawsuit against Yahoo personals (I think). Then I contacted them and flamed thier a**es and wanted my money back because I had not received a match in months and guess what?........amazingly the NEXT day I received a match! Then I realized that they did the same thing when my membership came up for renewal!

And it sounds like..........e-freakinharmony.com!

As far as I am concerned this is the ONLY dating website worth belonging to. Not met my match yet but already have some great friends!
 prettyboythug
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:43:27 PM
no never; i thought about it a couple times...but now theres just no need 2...
 lakeslady
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:01:03 PM
No, I have never paid for this type of service. i tried a couple of others, than found out I had to pay this enormous fee. I seem to get a lot more people trying to find out who I am on another site, but do not reply. I have met a couple of men on this site that seem very interesting and I hope I get to meet them someday.
 curllyhair
Msg: 122
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:15:04 PM
I have paid many times in the past with no results at all.
I haven't found my match as of yet on this site, but I am confident that I will soon.
 mesquiteguy74
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:25:04 PM
Yes I have and now own one of them sites ...................But i love this site john
 IncurableFlirt
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:24:21 PM
Yeah I tried Lava Life and Yahoo Personals. But then I got to thinking...in this world, there is a price tag on EVERYTHING..should we really have to pay to find love too? That just seemed ridiculous...Then I found this site and I absolutely love it!!
 ekh40
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:07:57 PM
POF is the greatest site for finding matches,, the trouble is most are far away and looking for a closer guy...I am one other pay site that I do get some responses on.. any guys interested in an older woman with horse and boat?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Have you ever paid to use a dating site?