Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 freetime2bme
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Scuba diving' great locationsPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Dive asia, lots of fun places and much cheaper dive resorts, well some anyway.
 bigirish
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Scuba diving' great locations
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:23:12 PM
Cozemul, Grande Cayman, St Maarten, all pretty awesome
 bigirish
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:24:04 PM
good spot on the pacific side of mexico is Baha.
 feelssogood
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/7/2006 5:27:00 AM
hmmm i don't think i saw anyone mention hondruas/bay islands, they are known as one of the best diving spots in the world, and it is the cheapest to get your certificate
 mmmac
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/4/2006 10:29:36 AM
In Honduras, the island of Roatan, Utila, etc are all great places- relatively cheap, especially Utila- and the diving is beautiful.
However, I actually enjoy Cozumel more- I saw more wildlife in Cozumel than at Roatan- but the fan coral was extensive off Roatan...
both are awesome experiences!
Turks is EXPENSIVE. if you are a diver looking to save money- do not go here.
The Red Sea is the ultimate experience- but, there's also alot of things that can kill you in there :) so go at your own risk!
Hope this helps somebody!
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/10/2008 5:33:25 AM
If you like wreck diving, check out Bermuda -Over 400 known wrecks, and the coral reef is in far better shape than our Caribbean counterparts to the South-West.
 PilotGuy65
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:51:51 PM
My favorite place to date is Hawaii.
Reasons:
Convenience - you could be in the water 10 minutes after leaving your flight.
Passport - Or lack of a need for one.
Language - Hey, they speak English there.
Currency - The dollar is just as weak in Hawaii as it is on the mainland. haha But you don't have to exchange any of it.
"The fish tank experience" - That side of the coast is like swimming in a fish tank. You'll see every fish that the movie "Finding Nemo" has.
Your non diver friends will be happy - Hawaii has 11 of the 13 climates on the planet. And volcanoes to explore. Not to mention the history and culture. Can you say "hang loose"?

There are many places up and down the Big Island coast around Kona. There was so much diversity it made the whole trip a blast. Where else can you swim in a lava tube?
Anywhere you go in the world, I recommend a night dive. Just south of the airport in Kona, we did a Manta Ray / Moray eel, night dive. There were 15 or so Manta Rays circling over, and into our heads (keep your flashlights over your head) . We were in 35 feet of water and snorkelers could experience it from the top as well. Very cool. Also the shear number of creatures you will see is amazing. And many of these can be seen just snorkeling in the bay of your hotel. There were lots of turtles, eels (saw 4 types including a dragon eel), spinner dolphins, whales (during migration only), octopus', and a reef shark (we went inside a lava tube with it).

With that said...Cozumel and Belize are wonderful destinations as well. But that is the majority of my experience. I purposely left out the FL Keys.
 seachangelass
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2008 10:04:23 PM
I have to disagree with you on the Blue Hole dive. I've been in there a number of times and everytime, I come out of the water saying "AGAIN, I want to do it again!" Yes, you are right, it is not the prettiest dive in Belize but to me, it is one of the coolest. Sharks, I love diving with sharks. The geological age of the Blue Hole strikes me every time I'm there. The way the visibility clears and sharpens around the stalactites is fascinating. Did you know that Jacques Cousteau blew away part of the circle of reef, just to get his boat Calypso in there? As you said, from Ambergris Caye, it takes a good two hours to get out there but the two follow-up dives out at the Atolls are world class. Lunch on Halfmoon Caye is not to be missed, surely it is one of the most idyllic islands I've ever seen. Sure, if there was only the one dive into the Blue Hole, I would not encourage people to go all that way but the whole day as a package is fabulous and I want to do it AGAIN.

I've had some fantastic dives off Sipadan and Mabul, some very special dives at Belize and Roatan and Raratonga. Some of the sweetest diving I've ever done was at Bequia. I loved the island of Koh Tao and wouldn't give back that trip for anything, but the diving truly sucked. Cuba and Cozumel delivered. As for Coz, I'm not that crazy about it because I like to dawdle along when I'm diving. Those freight-train currents don't allow for that. Florida . . well . . hey, if you are already in Florida for some other reason, might as well go diving too.

In any event, I'm back to Belize next month. After hundreds of dives there, I'm not totally enamoured of the diving anymore but I love Ambergris Caye. Also, I've never been anywhere else that had the same number of nurse sharks and large groupers.
 chickalina
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 4:52:16 PM
To me the best place is Aruba. I came home with the most gorgeous shells ever. It's just like being in an aquarium. Oh wait right off the cost of Haiti on a secluded island there are star fish the size of Chicago and many othe things that I had no idea what they were.
 seachangelass
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2008 1:18:30 PM
longte, I understand why you are saying what you are saying about Bali to nursefine. Regardless, I wouldn't want to discourage her from taking that trip.

nursefine, it's been a few years since I was in Bali, and yes, Kuta is really a gong show, but the island (and the culture overall) is beautiful and not to be missed.
 waysouth
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2008 8:36:35 PM
Ok, just to mention some things that have not been mentioned yet . . . weird yet enjoyable dives.

The Comal River in San Antonio Texas. It is fed by a hot spring, so it is always bathtub warm and clear. There is a 3 knot current, and it is a drift dive. There are abundant fresh water fish and endangered crawfish, and many other interesting species especially for a night dive. The bad news is it is only 12 feet deep at its deepest point, so it doesn't qualify for student or logged dives, which must be 15 feet. On a cool February night, the steam rises off it like a hot tub

Another Texas favorite, the oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico. Most of the gulf of Mexico is sand bottomed, no large marine life, no reef systems. but where the oil rigs reach the list of the sun and provide shelter, a coral system grows and it is like "an oasis in the desert." Large schools of fish. It is a very small area, but there are great variations, and it was just the weirdest place ever for huge schools of fish.
 LuvTravl
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2008 8:17:37 AM
So glad this thread came back around. Heading to Belize next week - do I or don't I dive the Blue Hole? We'll see.

Mexico - night dive on the lagoon side off Cancun. During the ascent, we extinguished lights and were surrounded by blue glowing algae. Can't beat a night dive. The landscape changes before your eyes as the sun sets.
 seachangelass
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2008 8:30:26 PM
Come back from Belize and tell us whether or not you dove the Blue Hole. :)

I'll read about it when I get back from Belize. I leave mid-month.

Maybe see you there?
 dakotap
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/2/2008 8:03:09 PM
Guam.... been there, done it!
 shawninaustin
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/4/2008 3:50:01 PM
Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea
Wakatobi, Sulawesi, Indonesia
Coral Sea, liveaboard, Australia GBR
Curacao, Netherland Antilles
 Velvet Tiger
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/5/2008 3:26:26 PM
I've been to Dahab a couple of time s and I just love it! It's so laid back and relaxed.
The snorkelling is out of this world - you can just walk out a few yards and there are the fish and the corals. Walk a little further out and the diving is superb, including that Blue Hole. I'll be there in March running a Yoga and Reiki holiday - care to join me?
I still have some places left for anyone who'd like to chill out for a week, enjoy some yoga - suitable for any ability including beginners - a special trip into the desert, yummy food and a decent hotel.
 seatide
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2008 12:20:38 PM
Regarding the Blue Hole of Belize....at a depth of approx 150 feet, there are open caverns rich with stalagmites and stalagmites, it is quite impressive.
One needs to be comfortable at this depth and needless to say, time on air is limited.

I have been all over the world, but would always love diving in So Cal. In fact, on the open ocean side of Catalina Island, there is a dive site called Farnsworth Banks, which is considered a world class dive and one of the top five dive locations in the world.
The entire pinnacle coming up to about 70 ft (it does not break surface) is covered with California purple hydro coral, a true coral species. This dive is so spectacular, that people from around the world come to dive it and it is a must on many seasoned diver's list.
 jamesUSMC
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/24/2008 1:04:38 AM
Okinawa, Japan has some freaking awesome dive spots. You can go out almost anywhere and find sunken battleships, shot down fighter planes, WWII guns and ammo and lost of other stuff. That mixed with the reefs and fish makes for some seriously beautiful dive spots.
 Mer_mate
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/4/2008 8:38:21 PM
My son and I just got certified. We did the first part up here in Ontario and the OW in Dominican Republic.
Our dive instructor used to teach in Punta Cana and said that although the water is beautiful, the visi is poor because of the pounding surf etc.

We did our dives in Puerta Plata and now I cant WAIT to go do MORE SCOOOBA!!!
 isla~maiden
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2008 12:30:48 PM
Don't forget the fabulous ABC Islands in the Netherland Antilles. Best night dive, Curacao...... Best place for seeing Seahorses.... Bonaire.
 Mer_mate
Msg: 76
Posted: 3/5/2008 7:54:06 PM
Ohh seahorses!!! I've been in love with those little fella's ever since I can remember.

Now....I'm on a MISSION!!! lol

Thanks isla~
 Mer_mate
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/11/2009 8:21:03 PM
I'm going to bump this thread back up because since the last time I was on here I had not done a lot of diving.
Since then, Puerta Vallarta (not so good), San Andres Island (on the list but the snorkelling was out of this world) Roatan (it IS one of the best).

I might actually do some diving this summer up at Tobermory...but I'm not sure about the cold weather. Any ideas?
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  >