Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Best places to meet people after 45      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NewYorker58
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Best places to meet people over 45Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I have a particular grocery store that's a hot bed of activity with regard to men scoping out women. Really, men are everywhere if you're open to meeting them.
 Platinum_Blonde_Angel
Msg: 67
Best places to meet people over 45
Posted: 2/22/2018 3:17:07 AM
A few years ago, I belonged to Sam's Club when I lived in NY.

Men would always talk to me about the yogurt I had in my cart.

I also had men talk to me at gas stations & in line at Walmart.

I think just get out of the house & vary your routine, be groomed & look approachable.

PS- go out by yourself, leave your cawk-blocking friends at home.
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Best places to meet people after 45
Posted: 2/23/2018 2:49:39 AM
Yes in a foreign country or continent depending on who is grading the paper. We're still friends 35 years later. But we were both young like 20 and 22 most bookstores have gone out of business today because they can't keep up with Amazon.
 Cynderella
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2018 3:20:48 AM
I live in town that is bursting at the seams durning the summer months.
I enjoy a book down by the beach.
Or eating ice cream at the little joint across from the lake....seems to attract a few interesting peeps.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2018 7:46:42 PM

go out by yourself, leave your cawk-blocking friends at home.

You ought to copywrite that wisdom. Someday, more than one woman will believe that it works.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2018 11:24:34 PM

My neighbor told me he met all the woman he is dating at the supermarket.

"Pssst! You like bigger cucumbers than that? I have one Handy."

I meet people everywhere.
At the grocery store

I think one can have a little exchange of words, to meet someone. It going further than that, unless stuck in a line together forever, I can't see being a feasible option.

at the bookie

Fellow gamblers, yeah, if the bookie has a shop on Main Street. ;)

at starbucks

I have wondered about the feasibility of this, even though I never gave it Too much thought. IMO, aside from a socially-open coffee shop that one may find with young people near a college campus, it's not a place to meet new girls. If a local Starbucks has an active crowd, and one uses it as their stand-by for a couple hours a day doing work/reading/etc -- I can see how something can crop up. But I don't see them as having much bang for the buck, in time spent.

Sitting at stop lights

LOL. The 'ol have your # written down on a piece of paper handy routine... so you throw it up on your window and wink at them. :)

walking around the pond

A stalker's preference to meet a lady.

standing in line at movies

"So, are you sitting alone?"

But it's rare I actually meet someone that I want to share more than a smile and a hello with.

Okay, okay. This all makes sense now. :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2018 11:48:46 AM
Over 45, “best places to meet people over 45”

MachIMustangII
A gas tank under the hood? Must be an old VW Beetle.

That’s what I was thinking. At least that’s the only example I know of. You’re probably too young to remember when they used to play “hide the gas tank inlet”. Some were very very strange. I worked in a full service gas station the summer of 1965, back when there were no “self service stations”. I remember the 55 (or was it 56?) Chevy hid it behind the tail light assembly.

Blonde_Angel
I also had men talk to me at gas stations & in line at Walmart.

Possibly the sexiest woman that I ever saw, in real life, up close, was pumping gas into her car at a convenience store. This must have been 15 years ago. I think I fell in Love, at least a little. Or maybe it was Lust. Whatever, one of those 4 letter words that starts with a capital L.

browneyesboo
I meet people everywhere.
At the grocery store, at the bookie

Boo, you do keep surprising us. At the bookie? What else don’t we know? Hmmm…

norwegianguy456

at starbucks

I have wondered about the feasibility of this, even though I never gave it Too much thought. IMO, aside from a socially-open coffee shop that one may find with young people near a college campus, it's not a place to meet new girls. If a local Starbucks has an active crowd, and one uses it as their stand-by for a couple hours a day doing work/reading/etc -- I can see how something can crop up. But I don't see them as having much bang for the buck, in time spent.

Which reminds me of a story – yeah, yeah, I know everything reminds me of a story.
Back 3 or 4 years ago, I had an initial meeting for a coffee after work. The lady suggested a particularly trendy spot, in a particularly trendy part of town, but it was not far from where I work, so I agreed. I arrived 15 minutes early, the lady texted me, said she was running late, apologized, and asked me to wait, which I did, no problem. So I sat there for 45 minutes waiting, then did a typical 30 minute coffee date. All in all, I was sitting there for about 75 minutes. Now this particular trendy coffee shop was full of younger people, college age up to maybe early 30’s.

I couldn’t help noticing a very attractive young woman who, over the course of that 75 minutes, had 3 separate “coffee meets”. Very, very obviously initial meetings from some online dating site. Guy number 2 arrived before guy number 1 was finished, and politely waited. Guy number 2 finished and left before guy number 3 arrived, so there was only one “overlap”. The whole thing seemed pretty weird to me.

I will admit to having had more than one initial meeting on the same day, but not at the same spot back to back. One in the morning, then one in the afternoon, minimum 4 hours between and most definitely not the same location.

On the other hand, she was very attractive, and we all know that beautiful women do get special treatment, so …
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/26/2018 12:00:59 PM
"You’re probably too young to remember when they used to play “hide the gas tank inlet”. Some were very very strange. I worked in a full service gas station the summer of 1965, back when there were no “self service stations”. I remember the 55 (or was it 56?) Chevy hid it behind the tail light assembly."

>>>not to bore people yet again, with my car stories....but you are correct, Henry, GM loved hiding the gas cap after 1955. I think Cadillac begun the game that year, you had to pull the driver's side taillight up and out of the way. I know Chevy in 55 had the usual fender mounted door, only b/c you could buy a chromed L shaped protector so the full serve guy didn't scratch your paint with the nozzle when he gave you Sunoco 260 blue. But in 56, it was behind the taillight. and once in the 1990's, I was out with a friend who had scored a 1957 210 Chevy wagon from his grandfather. we go to the local Saturday cruise, I know more about his car than he does (except that the emblem in the speedometer lit up to signify the highbeams were on) so he has me explain the features of the car to everyone.

well, he had enough of that...we go to get gas, he walks over to the cash booth and over his shoulder he asks if I can pump the gas. So, i'm thinking, it must be in the chromed edge of the fin, which side could it be...well, must be the driver, right? so I pull on it, and am rewarded with finding the cap. Then I look up, to see he was watching me the whole time, and yes, he's even less thrilled he couldn't catch me on that :) But otherwise, GM designers seemed to enjoy tricking gas pump attendants.

the love-hate relationship was putting it behind the license plate in the 1960's. it was great b/c you could approach the pump from either side. the bad thing was, the filler neck is level with the ground, so if you try to fill the tank? it sprays right back atcha! and on a sharp turn, taken fast with it full...you better have that cap on tight, or the license plate potentially takes a stinky bath. and let's not talk about getting rear-ended, with the filler right next to the rear bumper.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2018 2:17:18 PM

I couldn’t help noticing a very attractive young woman who, over the course of that 75 minutes, had 3 separate “coffee meets”. Very, very obviously initial meetings from some online dating site. Guy number 2 arrived before guy number 1 was finished, and politely waited.

Hmmm, how Obvious that they were online-dating meetups? I would be thinking the same thing too of course (and her arse), but seeing another guy in line + it being a college-age+ crowd, I'd be thinking "Oh wait, maybe she does initial interviews for a part-time job for the campus bookstore, or even this place."?

Of course, if I was in your situation and my date didn't show up, after the 3rd guy left, I would walk over to her and ask "Hey, do you mind if I take a stab at you, too?" It's either Yes or No -- 50/50 chance! ;)
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/26/2018 3:28:27 PM
"hey, do you mind if I take a stab at you?"

>>>that may be the wrong verb to use :)
 NewYorker58
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2018 6:20:48 PM
It could be less threatening to hear "can I take a stab at you" in a coffee place where mostly spoons are used, unless the guy looks like he's been incarcerated and can fashion a shiv out of it☺

I have no gas cap on my Mustang.
 ohenryx
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Music for a Mama Mia party ???
Posted: 7/23/2018 6:21:44 PM
Okay, I’m going to resurrect / steal a thread yet again. I still can’t start a new thread (thanks to Ms A), so here goes.

This coming Saturday, I am going to be DJ’ing a “Mama Mia Party”. And yes, I know exactly what you’re thinking, “What the hell is a Mama Mia Party?” The very first question I asked, and I have yet to receive a really good explanation, but never mind that. Basically, this is a woman who has me DJ a private Christmas Party every year, and occasionally other private parties. This one is just “themed” as it were. Apparently it’s going to be her and about 15 to 20 of her girlfriends, no men invited.

I have never seen the movie, but I did grab a copy of the sound track, from which I learned a couple of things.

1) Meryl Streep can sing. I knew she was a great actress, didn’t know she could sing.
2) Pierce Brosnan can’t sing.

And, oh yeah, the sound track does seem to be heavy on Abba, so that’s a clue. I’m thinking no slow songs (no men to dance with), so mostly fast or semi-fast music. And she said something about “music that empowers women” (???) One of her girlfriends always asks me to play Helen Reddy, “I Am Woman”, so I’ve got that covered. What other music “empowers women”?

And if you’ve seen the movie, I would appreciate any and all insights.
 sun___flower
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2018 6:31:52 PM
Henry
I’m thinking no slow songs (no men to dance with), so mostly fast or semi-fast music.

I would agree with this.

And she said something about “music that empowers women” (???) One of her girlfriends always asks me to play Helen Reddy, “I Am Woman”, so I’ve got that covered. What other music “empowers women”?

"I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan.
And of course "Respect" by Aretha.

Edit:
"The Men All Pause" - Klymaxx
"Naughty Girls Need Love Too" - Samantha Fox
"Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer
 MsMicki
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2018 7:06:05 PM
Yeah...the movie is based on Abba songs....so lot of those!

These are some of my favorites:

Hey Sister, Soul Sister by Patti LaBelle
Sisters are doing it for themselves by Aretha
We are Family by Sister Sledge
Fight Song by Rachel Platten
Try by Colbie Caillet
This One's for the Girls by Martina McBride
Beautiful by Christina Aguilera
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/24/2018 4:39:33 AM
Janet Jackson's "Nasty Boys" & offer urself up as inspiration
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 81
Manna for Many a Mile people ???
Posted: 7/24/2018 5:16:17 AM
so why does it seem that more people, and in particular, more younger women approach me for conversation etc, when I'm traveling solo in a foreign country then I ever get back home?
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 82
best places to meet people after 4pm dinner
Posted: 7/24/2018 7:24:03 AM
Funny, I first thought of "its raining men", but it seems like a different group has laid claim to that song :) Personally I always loved "I am a bitch" song (I used to want a complicated lady, now not as sure :) ), both Meredith Brooks and Alanis Morrosette (Sic) did it. meanwhile:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kyled30/17-empowering-songs-by-female-artists-to-boost-you-cn8i?utm_term=.xr750DOyL#.dlDP5k8Ve

https://milliondollarpartygirl.com/11/25-empowering-theme-songs-for-women/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/20-female-empowerment-anthems-that-will-get-you-pumped_us_58764d6de4b086a337b6f56e

https://www.babble.com/entertainment/empowering-songs-by-female-artists/

https://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1135613/most-empowering-songs-for-women

https://www.bet.com/music/photos/2014/03/women-empowerment-songs.html

as for why do we get approached by younger people when traveling...they are more curious, our accent means we are an outsider and don't know the time they did that thing with the class nerd, and maybe they want to try out their language skills.
 sun___flower
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Music for a Mamma Mia party
Posted: 7/24/2018 3:09:31 PM
GTO
Funny, I first thought of "its raining men"

Ha, I did too. I think Henry should include it.
"It's Raining Men" - The Weather Girls
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Answer to thread: DJ an all-female party
Posted: 7/25/2018 8:47:51 AM

Basically, this is a woman who has me DJ a private Christmas Party every year, and occasionally other private parties. This one is just “themed” as it were. Apparently it’s going to be her and about 15 to 20 of her girlfriends, no men invited.

I like the angle. Definitely a way to meet women over 45. Go where no men are allowed, you being the sole man servicing them. :)

Play the right music for it to turn into a "Dancing Bear" scenario for yourself. They'll be screaming "Mama Mia!" quite often! :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2018 4:44:34 PM
The party came off pretty well. I usually try to stay in the background for one of these “all women” events, but wasn’t entirely successful today. Check the new picture I just posted, which at the very least proves I am not afraid to look ridiculous!

And thanks for all of the music suggestions, I used most of them.
 sun___flower
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2018 5:09:35 PM
Thank you for the update, Henry. Are you a character from Mamma Mia? (I haven't seen it.) How fun that you went in costume.
 vacuumanddusting
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/29/2018 4:25:27 AM
LOL You are a funny man. You will find someone that appreciates that.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2018 8:39:16 AM
Best places to meet people after 45? I know I'll upset every member of the creepy cops, the grocery store gestapo, and the bookstore Barney Fifes here, but ....um...but retail establisments like grocery stores and bookstores are good places to meet people IRL, outside of bars and joining clubs, groups, etc.

Henry wrote:
Check the new picture I just posted, which at the very least proves I am not afraid to look ridiculous!
It's always been my experience that women like a man who doesn't take himself too seriously.
 totally_single
Msg: 89
Posted: 8/9/2018 3:50:30 PM
I always go out by myself. I can see when a man wants to talk to me. If I'm interested I give him the go signal "smile, eye to eye contact", if I'm not interested, I lower my head and do not make eye contact. Pretty simple, huh?

Unfortunately....just because you are physically attracted to someone....doesn't mean you are attracted once you have a conversation with them.....i.e.....they are married, just got out of prison, etc.....so here I am, still fishing...
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2018 4:40:36 PM
Totally Single...hmmmm....is there any such thing as "partially single?"

...they are married,
Ya mean totally married?

just got out of prison.
So you don't want to date divorced men?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Best places to meet people after 45