Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ShortBlonde1985
Msg: 586
does anyone get as turned off with a smoker as i do?Page 25 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
Ive smoked for 6 years. Yesterday I had a wisdom tooth taken out and Im not allowed to smoke for 48 hrs. Im thinking Im quittin anyway. Im sick of smoking all together. I agree that it is gross and that I will probably become more attractive now that I dont smoke.
 estes501
Msg: 587
does anyone get as turned off with a smoker as i do?
Posted: 6/17/2009 10:59:40 PM
Nope not at all, its the non smokers who drink and drive and come down on people who smoke that turn me off
 MissaInVA
Msg: 588
Posted: 6/18/2009 7:39:17 AM
I wouldn't date a smoker. It's a nasty habit that is not just hurting them smoker, but it also hurts the people around them. Yet they insist on doing it anyway. I've been around way too many smokers who act like I'm the rude/selfish/inconsiderate one when I ask them to not smoke around me - I have asthma.

Not to mention, have you noticed what a pack of cigarrettes costs now? I do budgeting/credit repair as part of my job. I see people who spent close to $200 a month on cigarettes. They can't pay their bills and are barely feeding their families, but they can somehow come up with $200 for cigarettes????
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 589
Posted: 6/18/2009 7:57:24 AM
It's like kissing an ashtray - why would you want to do that? Ewww
 R2D2_1
Msg: 590
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:30:14 PM
This is a topic I usually shy away from; but can't resist this time. Thirty percent of the population smokes. Over 6.5 trillion cigarettes are sold annually worldwide. That's about a thousand each year for every person on the planet. I've smoked for forty two years and I have no intent to quit. Why should I? I'm healthy and not an ounce overweight and I feel fine and there's nothing better than a good cup of coffee and a couple smokes first thing in the morning and that includes sex. Although, sex ranks pretty high in that "nothing better" category.

I've paid attention to those that constantly complain about smoking. They're usually the ones that complain about a hundred other things too, so I pay no attention to them and dismiss them as bigots or whiners. Those that claim to be allergic, yet, like to sit in front of campfires, confuse me. Your auto exhaust doesn't bother you, which is everywhere, but a little cigarette smoke does? Please, don't insult my intelligence.

If you don't like smokers, fine. Don't go into smoke filled bars then and don't date or complain about folks who enjoy smoking. I don't like a lot of things myself. You'll never hear me complain about things I don't like because, I avoid those things.

Just my two cents worth.
 SweetSmartNSassy2
Msg: 591
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:34:34 PM
R2D2 1, well, the question was asked if anyone else was as turned off to smokers as the OP is. All we did was answer "yes."

I don't like cigarette or cigar smoke, true. I don't complain about "a hundred other things too." So this makes me a bigot?

As for having that first cigarette and a cup of coffe in the morning, the people who live below me do that. That means I have to close my doors and windows to keep the stench out of my apartment. You, apparently, will think that's just tough on me.
 ispeakthetruth
Msg: 592
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:51:46 PM
Smoking is not sexy. It's nasty!

The irony of some smokers is that some go to the gym. Hellooooo!!!! You're better off quitting smoking first if you want to be the spitting image of health!
 funky_phantom
Msg: 594
Posted: 6/18/2009 3:05:28 PM
Archaic thread here.

There aren't that many smokers any more...so you could date forever and not date one,if you so desired.
Not sure it's even an issue....if they smoke outside...and the use Topol...who cares?
 AmeliaMD
Msg: 595
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 4:22:52 PM
I would never pass on a guy just because he smokes. You could miss on on a wonderful person who just has a thing for tobacco. Just like I wouldn't pass up someone who casually drinks. Alcohol tastes horrible (yet I drink it), and being drunk is hardly attractive, but people do it all the time, just like people smoke tobacco.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 596
Posted: 6/19/2009 2:34:57 AM
R2D2 I have news for you! You are NOT healthy ...............you're a smoker so work out the maths. It has nothing to do with being overweight or not.

And by the way.............I don't complain about smokers or go to smoke-filled bars but as one poster already pointed out the question asked was "do we get turned off by smokers?" and some of us answered 'yes'.

Seems to me like you're a little defensive.....................not exactly sure why.

It's interesting I was chatting to a guy on here recently and we were getting on ok and then he mentioned that he actually does smoke but didn't put it in his profile (apparently he couldn't find a section). I told him that it was a shame but wished him all the best. He totally ingnored my comment and kept pushing along. I repeated that I don't date smokers which is actually in black and white on my profile. He seemed to be almost offended by my lack of interest yet I was very open about it.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 597
Posted: 6/19/2009 3:59:18 AM
My mom's never been overweight, she's always been physically active what with living on a farm and all, but she's still got emphysema at the ripe old age of 58.

If I'm sitting near a camp fire, I'm 1) outside where the smoke can diffuse better, 2) sitting further away from it than I am from the person next to me. I also don't sit right next to my car's exhaust. On the otherhand, I've had smokers sit next to me, and inadvertently stick their cancer sticks right under my nose while they were motioning with their hands.

You smoke KNOWING the probabilities of getting some nasty smoke related disease like emphysema or lung cancer, but it's all good because at least you're not fat? That's some messed up logic.
 coca2
Msg: 598
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:45:36 AM
The smell is nausiating. Even if one smokes occasionally the smell of the cigs emits from the nose as they breathe. A non smoker can smell cigs on someone quickly, at least I can. Not to mention the smell left on me from a smoker. Yes, it is a big turn off.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 599
Posted: 6/19/2009 7:33:59 AM
My youngest brother smokes (I'm sorry to say). He's also only two years older than my son. So, he apparently came over to hang out with my son after I went to bed last night - I know this because my recliner stank to high heaven of cigarette. I can also always tell when my son's been at his house because then HE stinks to high heaven of cigarette. I always make him change his clothes and take a shower when he comes back from over there.
 Scarlet Marie
Msg: 600
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:17:03 AM
I do not even consider dating a man who smokes. They could be the total package (everything I am looking for) and I still would give one walking papers in an instant.
 Gigglemepink
Msg: 601
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:46:05 AM

YES! I have tried to date smokers in the past. Never again. Major deal breaker.

but that would be an actual reason to write someone off because of that?

Most definately.

For the ones that don't date smokers.. because it is oh so gross.. what if the person always chews gum? Doesn't that help?

No, then they just take like bubble gum smoke.
 Slalin
Msg: 602
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:59:10 AM
Yep. Instant, complete, permanent turn-off. My grandparents hacked and coughed themselves to death, emphysema, etc. Don't understand how anyone can smoke.
 waterwatereverywhere
Msg: 603
Posted: 6/19/2009 5:42:14 PM
I've never smoked, and I've never dated a smoker.
 Oceanview111
Msg: 604
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:52:08 PM
I smoke so I guess I am on the other side of this question completely; but just wanted to say that I have actually been turned off by some guys who smoke; yeah you think that sounds hypocritical but I was amazed at how powerful the smoke smell was on someone else; and I have to agree it's not pleasant. However, I have also dated guys who smoke and they smell just like everyone else, not overpowering at all, in fact very faint traces if that. I have a very heightened sense of smell compared to most people, and it actually creates a problem for me to date someone who is hygenically clean (of course!) but just doesn't smell quite right. On the flip side, I've never had a complaint about my smell; in fact just the opposite, but I am really saddened to learn this habit of mine is limiting potential dates; I am so upset I think I need a smoke! LOL
 badrogue
Msg: 605
Posted: 6/20/2009 10:06:32 AM
I don't like smoking,it's a bad habit,so I just stand by the freeway and inhale the smog
 debgale
Msg: 606
Posted: 6/20/2009 10:44:41 AM
You're perfectly within your rights not to date any one who smokes. Case closed.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 607
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:46:38 PM
I would never date a smoker since in my opinion smokers are weak minded. I want someone who can control themselves and value their health.
 SweetSmartNSassy2
Msg: 609
Posted: 6/20/2009 4:45:18 PM
Lil Brooker, your post made me laugh ironically and shake my head yet again. The question was asked if anyone else gets turned off by a smoker and many of us answered yes. Why don't I have a right to complain about second hand smoke drifting into my home? Why do I have to hold my breath to enter a public building because someone else is puffing frantically on their cigarette? Why do I have to see heaps of butts at traffic lights because someone has decided that's just a dandy place to empty their ashtray? The people who live below me can sit on their balcony on a beautiful, clear morning or evening, enjoying their coffee and cigarettes. I can't sit on my balcony, because the smoke from their habit makes me sick. But that's just my problem, right?

Yes, I chose not to date a smoker. That's my choice. It is not my choice, however, to have to breathe second-hand smoke and deal with the garbage many smokers, with the "world is my ashtray" mentality carelessly toss about. I should just overlook litter, which could easily be carried to the nearest trash can?

I have to laugh, too, at how smokers call us non-smokers - we horrible people! - self-righteous, holier than thou and other stupid names. Well, people who realize on some level that what they do has a negative impact on others do often protest too much.

Why do we non-smokers need a kick? To wake us up to the fact that having an addictive, harmful habit is somehow desirable? Gimme a break one time!
 eschec mat
Msg: 610
Posted: 6/20/2009 5:00:37 PM
My doctor recently told me to avoid second hand smoke to the point of being rude. I really think that it is a matter of health now and not just a turn off. My bf's room mate smokes and so does his gf. They go out on the porch and smoke together. I guess it is bonding, but I also think they look odd smoking. Everything you read and hear about smoking, actually just inhaling any kind of smoke, makes you wonder why they don't do what is necessary to quit now before something happens. My mom's best friend died today of cancer.
 wild heart
Msg: 611
Posted: 6/20/2009 8:49:15 PM
Yeah, I recently moved into an apartment and people in the other building come outside to smoke and it comes right into my window. As I sit here, I can smell it and it's almost like my room smells more like smoke than outside does.....

I can't do anything about it other than close my window and get no air in here, but it really freaking stinks.
 thwipp89
Msg: 612
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2009 10:01:50 PM
smoking is a HUGE turn-off. it's a deal-breaker.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >