Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flyingv
Msg: 33
why do guys keep that one stand of hair and wrap it over their heads. why???Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Mardiovio , because afros dont mis with a caucasian male, what the hell are you talking about Jack?
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 34
why do guys keep that one stand of hair and wrap it over their heads. why???
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:03:03 AM
@Fly... Afros are great on other types (don't want to make it sound like a racist or stereotypical comment) but on black people and SOME caucasian women. See again it really doesn't matter ultimately if you have a shinning heart of gold it's all cool. I just think that thoise types of hairstyles (Unless for charity or acting purposes or whatever, or if the person feels good in it) I think that it doesn't go well for the white male. I used to watch that show "welcome back" it was from the seventies and I just knew that it is kindo off good for SOME people and not for others , to put it lightly.

Anyways sorry I got off topic, I just wanted to ad a sponateous comment to an already ussuall and funny posts.

No offense to anyone.
 flyingv
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:39:45 AM
what does your comment have to do with the original post? is what im asking?
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:53:11 AM
well the afro style part has nothing or very little to do with the original post. I was just reponding to another post.

As for the original post I made my statement on that. The other stuff was in response to another post or an add on maybe.
 designingwoman
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2006 5:49:10 PM
My Uncle Jimmie is a Caucasian male, and I thought he looked much better in his afro than he does now with his regular guy's hair cut. Some white men actually do look good in them, but I think the man has to have the right face to go along with it.

As for long haired men, as long as the hair is neat and clean, I have no problem with it. I'll ride with a guy with normal short hair, long hair or bald. Just no combovers

DW
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2007 9:23:50 AM
It's pyschological. In a way, we women should give these guys a break. Yes, the comb-over is horrible, but so is losing your hair. Men tend to age more quickly than women and they age in really noticeable ways, particular in the hair loss area. I would be completely torn between "saving" him from an embarrassing hairstyle and just being kind and letting him come around in his own time. It can't be easy to hear, from a woman especially, the confirmation (that until now you've only sort of had in the back of your head) that yes, you aren't so attractive anymore and you need to give up what's left of your "mane". I'm sorry, but hair is hot! Thick, beautiful hair is wonderful. Men know that; most men love their own partners to have pretty, long hair (and luckily they can because women don't tend to lose their hair like men) so why wouldn't they expect that women like it too? So it is going to be really hard to convince some men to give up their hair, even if they really only have a tiny bit of it left anyway. Sure, lots of bald men look great but one of the greatest sensual pleasures in the world is running your fingers through your partner's hair. Be really easy on the guy; he's losing a big selling point and he knows it. If you're going to say anything, let him know that you recognize that, but that doesn't mean he's going to be any less attractive. In fact, in the end, he will be more attractive since just about anything is better than the comb-over.

No offense to the person I just quoted...but I honestly can't beleive that this is comming from a Christian person. Just to set the record straight. Hair is just hair, lets be real, it's only hair, especially as Christians we need to understand that. There is MUCH more to a man then his hair or lack of. Many ladies find bald men attractive for one reason or another, and also it doesn't mean someone is loosing their looks and their "selling point". There are many other things more important then hair on a man and a woman. It's out of character for a Christian person to be saying stuff like this, when our Bible clearly tells us to accept people for who they are inside and look at the heart as God does. Also , judge not lest you be judged!!, I mean Christians should be more accepting of something like this then anyone, if they really are Christians. Discrimination and holding something like this against another person is just NOT the Christian thing to do and it is a sin. Also I hear alot that rubbing a shaved head is also one of the greatest sensual pleasures and is just as good and running your hands through a head full of hair. Also hairloss is not nearly as bad as a combover. No offence to the people that do the combovers, but just SHAVE IT OFF!!

lol Anyone who says that baldness is a big turn off and that the hair makes the man or the personality or the character, is lying and should be ignored.

I hope that helps the OP.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2007 10:40:51 AM
went onto amazon and got a remington wet/dry body shaver for £10 approx, it's essentially clippers so I get a number 1 haircut, mirrors are very good and have one on the wall and another to pick up in hand.

feeling the hair being cut / not cut is a good way :)

combovers look really naff :)
 crayonzz
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/14/2007 6:03:44 PM
actually woman of little substance.

Why are women so damn negative in thier attitudes towards guys?? Why??

Look at the revoting description that you have just made of this guy. You have told him how much women, (What right do you have to speak for ALL women) hate it. But women hate men anyway. So what's the difference. Just another excuse to gripe about men.

What right do you have to gripe about his choice of appearance anyway? The women are the first to fly off the handle when some guy makes a comment about short skirts or plunging necklines.

Now! What about the alternatives. Have you tried telling him that women LIKE bald heads. Apparrently not if the best descriptin you have to offer is "ice skating rink".
 crayonzz
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/15/2007 2:11:39 AM
Yea yea Shewdy. You are right of course.

Pardon my annoyance at your stating the bleedin obvious but all this pettiness over stuff like combover realy gets on my nerves.

Ladies, you want something to gripe over.?
Try the following colection of sweeties as potential boyfriends.

- Mr Stinky - Convicted rape murderer, Triedto rape his own three year old daughter at one stage.

- Chopper Reid - Hired killer - Several dozen hired murders to his credit.

- Any of the gangs of thugs who prowl any street ain any city attacking people at random. Derilicts and poofs remain their favourite targets.

etc etc etc.

Does the stupid combover seem totally stupid now ladies..
 c_deacon
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2007 8:40:44 AM
Most people have things that can "turn you off" immediately, and this is one of them for the OP and others, which I can understand too.

A mouth full of bad or missing teeth will do it for me, along with women who try very hard to wear the latest fashions, but do not have the body or age to do it. It can be like men wearing "muscle" shirts when they have little, if no muscle tone, to share that way, or wearing the baggy look that is lower then their son's........

Having hair is just one more sign of being youthful, virile, and adds to the symmetry of the over all looks. Women know this as well, and that is one major reason most dye their hair the minute some gray starts to show, and most will work very hard to make sure that the hair they have, shows off the face and over all looks as best as possible.

This man just does not want to give up that last part, and does not see reality because he is still caught up with the image of the past. He needs a good friend to help give him a reality check, just as many of us need as we mature.

Just my opinion........
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2007 10:24:51 AM
Having hair is just one more sign of being youthful, virile, and adds to the symmetry of the over all looks

Ok but when the person shaves his or her head, then that brings the symmetry back and that why it's such a way to go and why it's so popular, it neutralizes things in a neat way. Just as if they looked like they had a full head of hair, so does the completely shaved bald look for the person. But the Op should get rid of the combover, being bald is way better then doing the combover. Peopel who don't accept you for it, it is their loss and they are not very smart people, so don't worry be happy OP my friend.

Also about the virile part, thats not exactly true either (based on what I heard) there is no difference, infact if anything bald men apparently have a "higher testosterome level" which can only be a good thing. Same with youth, look at a little child that was just born, they came out with no hair and they were brand new to the world. So that doesn't stand up either pertaining to youth, so the bald was before the hair. So all three ideas you posed are in actual fact not really accurate if you think about it.
 designingwoman
Msg: 54
view profile
History
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 6:28:59 AM
When I dated my roommie (we're just housemates now) he always wore a baseball cap. I never did the math, and it wasn't until the 3rd date that I found out that he was going bald! OMG.... The difference in my opinion of him changed in an instant. I lost all my attraction to him because of that one splotch of baby-fine hair that he would not shave off! Yes, it's shallow, but it was an instant reaction. *shrugs* We're better friends than we were as lovers, anyhow!

Why didn't you ask him to shave it off?

Also this was the third date right? Didn't you get to know him enough so that something like this would not effect you. I assume you would have been better with him just shaving his head, thats what it sounds to me. I don't think after three dates you would just reject a guy just because he's bald ...right?lol ! it's just hair, and hair or lack off, doesn't make or break the man!!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/17/2007 11:13:31 AM

LMAO its called denile. I say embrase the baldness!!!! Just shave it and forget it.

The combover will never make a come-back. Was it EVER "in"???????? I think those who choose that route have every right to do so, but it is sooooooo difficult to understand why not just shave it. It's not going to get better and I have to wonder what happens on windy days ~ that can't be good.
 *buzz*
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 12:44:46 PM
Well, I thought this question is addressed to "Ask a Guy" but as it is not, my guess is that men in question just don't want to admit or face reality, so the camouflage is the short-sighted answer ... until ... gone with the wind.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/18/2007 7:07:15 AM
I had a good friend and he looked like one of the smurf's..

He was a good sport...
 heartofcolor
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/18/2007 2:23:36 PM
didn't read thru them all

but has your friend not seen a picture of Donald Trump? If he hasn't print if off in large format and paste it to his mirror with big words that say "Don't try this at home, could be dangerous to anyone in the near proximity" - lol
 chrylann
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2007 5:56:59 PM
My dad had about ten 20 foot long strands of hair wrapped around his head for years. They don't want to be bald.
 neuromantic
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2007 4:56:14 AM
I've been going bald since I was 16. And I promised myself I'd never have a combover, have been shaving off and on (depending on laziness) since 1997. Interestingly I saw a blind guy a year or so back with a hair transplant. He couldn't see that the way it was done allowed people to see underneath and it looked like an attempt at reforestation (that didn't work)!

Toe knee :-)
 dimples0376
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/25/2008 11:47:00 AM
I thought everybody knew the answer to this; it's to tell the direction of the wind on a really windy day - just like the wind sock that they have at the airport. My father is bald and I have two bald uncles. Dad has never had the 'wind sock' but both my uncles did at one point in time (one has parted with it while the other keeps it). It looks ridiculous. I think it's a personal issue that they just can't accept that they're bald. I have no hair and I shave my head twice a week - I think it looks much better than if I let it grow.
 designingwoman
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 6:04:59 PM
I'll take bald over a combover ANY day!!!!!!
 Sardonis
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:01:49 PM
Combover aka the swoop.

Why do they do it? From a mirror's reflection it probably looks like more hair. Since they can't see themselves from another's pov, I don't think they realize how ridiculous it looks.

That applies to a lot of people.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:39:33 PM
My uncle does that, but here's the funny thing, he only does it sometimes! I think he figures, he's practically bald, he can get away with no haircut. He can be cheap like that. One day, it's a tacky 300 dollar silk shirt with cans of sardines on it, the next day, he's stealin' catsup packets and saving 9 dollars on haircuts. I think the strand-o'- hair turban is meant more to keep it out of his eye than to fool you that he has hair.
 SydneyM30
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/26/2008 11:40:16 PM
I recently dated a woman with a comb over..i thought it was kinda sexy
 whothehellknows
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:25:41 PM
I think it's weird to see guys who do a comb over. It's like they think they are fooling the world about their baldness.

I have a severe receeding hairline, so I just cut it very short. I've only met one or two women who seemed to have a preference for longer hair, most seemed more concerned with "Don't do a comb over!"

Many balding guys think the majority of women don't like guy with receeding hairlines. I think the majority of women don't like guys with low self esteem over the issue, or guys whom have f'ed up haircuts.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >