Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > GROCERY SHOPPING!! Habits? Men vs. Women? What You Get? Let's D      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 casey jones
Msg: 26
GROCERY SHOPPING!! Habits? Men vs. Women? What You Get? Let's Discuss Grocery/Food Shopping!!Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I don't buy loaves of bread, unless I buy luncheon meat to make sandwhiches. The bread goes dry in 3 or 4 days. moldy about 5 to 6 days, and when I put it in the freezer, it gets freezer burned within a week. I have to plan to use every slice of bread before I buy one. Even though a snack of toast and jam at 9:30 some nights seems to hit the spot.

I don't normally go for big grocery shopping lists. I prefer to buy something that will last for three or four meals, maybe going to the grocery store once or twice a week. Food stays fresher, and I feel like I am eating better. Nothing worse than trying to eat a piece of fruit that is mushy, or peel a carrot just to watch it fall over.

Junk food is a no no in my grocery shopping, unless I have a craving for something THAT DAY. I used to buy a fair amount of chips and other snack foods, but then I'd come home, eat a bunch of chips and dip, make dinner, keep munching. By the time dinner is ready, I don't want to eat a thing that I just made.

I used to buy 20 pound bags of potatoes, but they don't last all that long in the summertime, even sometimes in the winter. I know they are cheaper, but I wound up throwing out too many rotten spuds. I normally buy 5 pound bags, or 10 pound more often. Just buy them more often. And the Superstore doesn't sell 5 pound bags of potatoes.

Yogurt, eggs, garlic, fruit and veggies are staples. Doesn't matter when I go grocery shopping, I will get all of the above.

I'd be screwed if I was ever blocked into my apartment, not being able to get out. Don't keep a lot of canned foods in the cupboards. I'm not a big fan of canned vegetables. Frozen if it can't be fresh.

A typical shopping trip is like this.

Make sure I have enough potatoes, bacon, sour cream, milk, and butter (notice not margerine). I'll get a pack of chicken legs (about 4), and a pack of sausages (4 to 6). Fresh broccoli, carrots (brussel sprouts if the store has them), either a squash or a yam. With the exception of the broccoli and carrots, I'll cook up the whole works, with a big pot of potatoes, and cook the broccoli and carrots as I need them. Good for about 4 meals. And if there are still mashed potatoes left after the meat is gone, I'll make "mashed potato pancakes" with my fried eggs.

But like every other single person in the world, sometimes the phone is the best fridge in the world.
 River3366
Msg: 27
view profile
History
GROCERY SHOPPING!! Habits? Men vs. Women? What You Get? Let's Discuss Grocery/Food Shopping!!
Posted: 5/2/2006 10:09:21 PM
I live in a very rural area so I buy a weeks worth of groceries so I only have to go to the city Once a week although I go more sometime. The menu changes every couple weeks. This week groceries were.

flour tortillas
grated cheeses
tomatoes
sweet onions
fresh fruit
fresh veggies
milk
SoBe cranberry and grapefruit.
hot dogs for the dogs medicine
chicken
Stove top stuffing
salads
Lucky Charms with bananas
Tillamook yogurt
bacon
eggs

I do two or three potlucks a month and find variety a nice change. Somebody else's cooking. I usually get asked to bake a cake for the potlucks.
 ih8tefrogstoo
Msg: 28
view profile
History
GROCERY SHOPPING!! Habits? Men vs. Women? What You Get? Let's Discuss Grocery/Food Shopping!!
Posted: 12/12/2008 11:05:27 PM
What I used to buy, several years ago (typical shopping list):

(many) large bottles of Coke
spaghetti
spaghetti sauce
cheese (mozarella, cheddar)
apples
cookies
jelly beans
potatoes
onions
frozen peas or mixed veggies
frozen orange/apple juice
ice cream
potato chips
ground beef
steak
white flour
white sugar
white bread
canned corn
chicken

What I buy now, instead:

spinach*
beans*
carrots*
broccoli*
cauliflower*
turnip*
hummous*
avocado*
onions*
sweet potatoes*
lemons*
apples*
bananas*
oranges*
grapes*
spelt or whole wheat flour
whole wheat tortillas
ricotta cheese
cottage cheese
lentils
chickpeas
salmon
(*always fresh, and organic whenever possible)

One's eating habits tend to change after undergoing serious illness.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 8:48:48 AM
What I bought on Friday...

Coke (4 bottles)
Steak (6 strip-loin)
Frozen fish
Ice Cream
Orange Juice (8 300-mL bottles)
2 small bowls of cantaloupe chunks
a package of 6 raisin tarts
a box of Triscuit crackers

The fish and steaks will last for the better part of a month - the juice and ice-cream will take me through the week.

When I start running low, I also stock up on pasta, sauce, rice, french-fries, milk, cheese, cereal, waffles... well, you get the idea.

OP - meat isn't that hard to cook. I do my steaks on a contact-grill for ten minutes, and they're ready to eat. I don't cook anything really fancy... but I can do spaghetti, pancakes, Hamburger Helper... Proper nutrition doesn't *have* to be difficult.
 misshoney31
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/13/2008 9:07:47 AM
I shop at 2 stores once a week, Longos and Food Basics. Some of these items I buy regularly and some occasionally.

Food Basics -

Plain bottled water
Caffeine free Diet Coke
Pickles - yum yum
Fruits/veggies
Becel
Soy milk
Condiments - fat free Miracle Whip, Heinz ketchup, French's horseradish mustard, malt vinegar
Sockeye salmon - reduced sodium
Solid white tuna in water
Spices
Premium Plus crackers
All Bran Guardian cereal -
Twinings English Breakfast tea
Splenda
Kraft PB
Plain rice cakes
Becel cooking spray
Hellman's salad dressing spray
Uncle Ben's herb and chicken rice
Special K cereal bars - vanilla or chocolate
All Bran cereal bars - nut and honey flavour
Butterball turkey bacon
Omega 3 eggs - 6 pack

Longos -

Wheat and herb bread
Onion buns
Sliced rosemary ham
Sliced cajun chicken
Sliced sundried tomato turkey
Turkey sausages
Honey/garlic sausages
Tzatiki
Astro fat free yoghurt
Sirlon pork chops
Boneless skinless chicken breasts
Bread crumbs
Salmon fillets
Sole fillets
Stewing veal
Liquid Bovril (beef or chicken) - for stews or soups
Tropicana Triple Berry juice
Hummus spread
Red pepper spread
Veggie cheese
V Go
 FriesianSpirit
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 10:29:20 AM
I only shop on a full stomach. And only with a list. 4am? Love those super wal-marts.
I'm on the road alot and I hate cooking for one. This weeks list.
Freezer bags.
Whole wheat bread. 3/4 goes in the freezer.
Thomas English muffins. (Freezer)
Hot dog buns (coney island style) (freezer)
Welch's Grade Jelly
Jiffy peanut butter
Rague Suace (traditional)
Frozen corn dogs
3 boxes white castle hambers (frozen)
Crincle Cut frence fries
Breaded Shrimp (frozen)
Scallops (frozen)
1 accorn squash
can of whole potatoes
bag of dry black beans
Box of Uncle Bens yellow rice.
3 bars zest soap
mellon baller (was a buck)
Scott toilet paper(only scott for Me)

So what this all about now?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 10:59:26 AM
Do a major shopping once a month and this was the week it happened.

5 4L jugs 2% milk
8 lbs. butter
2 22.5 lb. bags unbleached flour
2 1L bottles corn syrup
22.5 lb. sugar
10 lb. bag brown sugar
4 lb. bag flaked coconut
4 lb. bag Thompson raisins
5 lb. bag chopped pecans
2 lb. bag slivered almonds
6 dozen eggs
2 2lb. blocks mozzarella
2 lb. block cheddar
2 kg. jar Kraft crunchy peanut butter
1 jar Smuckers pure raspberry jam
1 jar Smuckers pure apricot jam
6 cans Hunts thick 'n rich spaghetti sauce
3 cans tomato paste
6 large cans plum tomatoes
3 large cans stewed tomatoes
3 pkgs. oven-ready lasagna noodles
2 lb. pkg. spaghetti
4 lb. pkg. macaroni
2 boxes Special K - vanilla/almond
8lb. bag pistachios
5lb. bag large shrimp
1 large inside round roast - cut into 3
1 pkg. pork tenderloin - 3 large per pack - cut into 6
1 pkg. chicken breasts - 8
3lb. pkg. bratwurst sausages
10lb. pkg. lean ground beef - divided at home
1 pkg. pork chops - 6
1 pork loin roast
1 corned beef brisket
15lb. turkey
1 pkg. salmon steaks - 3
1 pkg. halibut steak - 3
1 pkg. basa fillets - 4
1 pkg. sole fillets - 3
2 rainbow trout
2 tins solid albacore tuna in water
2 tins Pacific wild red salmon
1 case Campbells cream of mushroom soup - 12
3L bottle canola oil
3L bottle vegetable oil
1L bottle extra-virgin olive oil
baby mixed greens
5 lb. bag carrots
3 lb. bag lemons
green onions
radishes
mushrooms
brussel sprouts
broccoli
red cabbage
green cabbage
Granny Smith apples
Fuji apples
2 5lb. bags red grapefruit
1 bunch bananas
2 pineapple
seedless green grapes
seedless red grapes
20 lb. bag russet potatoes
10 lb. bag cooking onions
bathroom tissue
garlic braid
dishwasher detergent
laundry detergent
soy sauce
2 40lb. bags dog kibble
3 20lb. bags cat kibble
48 tins cat food
3 30lb. boxes cat litter
2 kg. pkg. rice
 imsophie1
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 11:26:04 AM
I hate shopping, so I go as seldom as I can get away with. Won't go again now till after the first of the year.

I recently got the ingredients (too numerous to list) for 20 quarts of chili and 20 quarts of veggie soup. Takes me 8+ hours to make a batch, then it gets frozen in convenient amounts (if I can keep my grown daughters out of it long enough to get it in the freezer - they always seem to know when I'm cooking and show up after the work is done). I love to make a big venison roast (cooked in the oven for hours) with potatoes, onions, carrots, and turnips.

I make homemade bread from scratch, and love homemade apple butter on it. Also have home-canned jellies and jams. I love fresh fruits and veggies, so I'll be planting a garden in the spring (haven't had one in a few years). I'll also be planting apple trees. I have blackberry and raspberry patches out back and a couple blueberry bushes. During the summer I mostly eat off the land and rarely go to the store.

Good lord! After typing that, I realized I have no life!!!! I hate going out but love working around the house, especially outside. How sad! I guess 23 years as a hermit stuck with me even though I no longer have to be one!
 clown0
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/14/2008 4:02:38 AM
all a man needs is a loaf of bread, peanut butter and some jelly, or do like I do go for the smuckers just fruit spread and a gallon of milk. What more do you need?
 ih8tefrogstoo
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 7:49:33 AM

all a man needs is a loaf of bread, peanut butter and some jelly, or do like I do go for the smuckers just fruit spread and a gallon of milk. What more do you need?

Um...a remote, a recliner, and TSN?

Well, you asked.
 truly.jamielynn
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/14/2008 10:10:22 AM
Well I usually shop around 2 am I have found it is less crowded and I can find what I need faster I never go with a list in mind I just go. Get the things I like and that I know I will need soon, personal products first shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, toothbrush, double pack of toothpaste, laundry detergent, black socks. Now go to food:
-chicken, ground turkey
-pasta, rice(white, yellow, & dirty)
-pasta sauce (spag and alfredo)
-brocoli, tomatoes, bananas, grapefruit, grapes
-cheese (shredded, cubed, sliced, and string)
-eggs, milk, juice, water
-bread, sliced ham, peanut butter, jelly
-ice cream

That might last about 2 weeks I might need more ice cream lol
 OpieDopey
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 11:51:52 AM
I shop like a teenager who's parents are gone away for the weekend. Lots of junk, comfort food, and toss in a few healthy things I can add to the compost pile when they begin to rot.
 monalee1
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/14/2008 1:08:57 PM
hi.. too fun

I buy organic fresh fruits veggies, nuts and seeds first, must haves are seasonal fruits,limes, lemons,grapefruits,romaine, tomaotoes,arugula,spinach, carrots, celery,brocolli, cauliflower,potatoes>regular,sweet, purple, almonds,pumpkin/sunflower seeds, black and regular sesame,walnuts,hazelnuts,in shell nuts, then asian greens, garlic, ginger, scallions
frozen organic edameme, peas, fiddleheads.. samosas,roti,pumpkin and spinach noodles ,veggie spring rolls
organic chick peas for hummous, organic tahini, organic peanut butter, raw honey,maple syrup,sesame oil,wasabi, chutney, sweet chilli sauce,nutella
pastas, organic, brown rice, flax, wwheat, thai noodles,quinoa,coucous,millet
rice, basmati, brown,sweet,red,black,rice paper
organic sundried tomatoes, EVO Oil , Herbamere, organic unsalted butter
organic bread flours,yeast,cane sugar,rice milk vanilla,organic oats,sea salt,frontier organic herbs,organic popcorn, nutritional yeast, pure water, bottles of sparkling juice
organic dog food

30-70 dollars a visit several times a week... blessings for health, warmly Mona
 yna6
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/14/2008 4:25:22 PM
1000 pounds of groceries 3 times in one weekend. Twice a month. No wonder I had to change the frikkin' shocks last week. These people eat a lot....sheesh....
 misshoney31
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/14/2008 5:54:10 PM
Yna, bear in mind that some products are NOT purchased on a weekly basis. Some are indeed purchased weekly, but some products are not used as often and thus last longer (condiments is an example).
 msdenissen3
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/14/2008 6:08:24 PM
I always get the essentials. You know, milk eggs and bread. I also have to get cereal, cottage cheese, turkey, lettuce and tomato.
Um,
oh yes, chips and salsa, chicken breasts, soup, ice cream, fruit (usually grapes and apples)
However, when I go hungry I get loads of frozen junk.
I also like to get some magazines and gum.
 springazure44
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/14/2008 7:22:31 PM
You won't find much junk food in my house. I buy a small bag of chips maybe once per year. As far as cookies and cakes... also maybe once per year. I keep my meat to only 3 meals per week... otherwise veggies and pasta/rice.

Although I do believe I will buy some breaded shrimp and deep fry it for supper tomorrow. Deep fried shrimp and T-Bone Steak is my occasional comfort food I consume as an occasional 'reward'.
 Summerwinds77
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 8:14:02 PM
I am slightly off topic, but here are a couple of observations from a male grocery shopper. Have you guys noticed the "cartblock" technique? Yes, the "cartblock", not the other "block". This is when a woman, typically a little older, blocks the front of a display area with her shopping cart to keep other shoppers away while she is looking things over. It could be anything...the apples, potatoes, bread...it doesn't matter, just don't try to invade her space.

Second is the ankle-smasher, expertly performed and delivered by elderly ladies. This is when granny uses the shopping cart as a bulldozer to move the check out line along a little faster. I always know that the senior citizens were shopping when I leave the store with bruised ankles.

And last but not least is the check out line cheater. When you are waiting in line with your cart in front of you, this gal lines up next to you, not behind you. She slowly inches forward little by little, looking the other way or reading a magazine, and before you realize it she is in line in front of you. Very sneaky but highly effective.

Be on the lookout for these grocery store offenders!
 kane stays
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/15/2008 11:20:06 AM
I am almost too ashamed to post this but being faceless makes me brave! I bought a big mac,fries and a dr pepper. I hang my head in shame,oh look a shiny new penny! See a penny.pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck. Well except in the movie Grease! Honest I'm still ashamed about that big mac. I had chocolate pudding after..
 catkin2007
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/15/2008 11:40:19 AM
You were cheap that's for sure....

Me, I would starve on your diet. My shopping is about twice a month. Here is a sampe of what I purchase.

4 or so lbs ground turkey
about the same in chicken
pot roast
a freezer pizza
lasagna noodles
pastas
tortillas
sour cream
beans
peas
broccoli
green peppers
salad dressing
tomato sauce
spices
cottage cheese
low fat yogurt
fat free pudding
sugar free jello
a couple heads of lettuce
mushrooms
tomatoes
onions
radishes
fresh garlic
carrots
tomato juice
orange juice
2% milk
cranberry juice
bottled water
1 dozen eggs
a block of cheese
lunchmeats
oranges
bananas
a box of cereal (honey nut cheerios)
30 pounds of dog food (yes, I have a big baby)
popcorn (not microwave, old fashioned popcorn)
rice
tuna fish
fresh fish

2 to 2.5 weeks = $250 after taxes
 ORCAANNA
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/15/2008 11:45:37 AM
i have opened up some mens' refrigerators, to see what i had to work with, if i was going to fix him a dinner, and a lot of times, it seems that the beer has taken over the fridge!! What can you make using beer, besides beer- battered smelt?? There usually isn't any flour, or salt, or potatoes!! , or even onions for that matter. If a guy goes grocery- shopping, think essentials first, and then maybe those chips, and cream- puffs later. ok???
 Belle Requin
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/15/2008 3:01:53 PM
I occasionally take my bro shopping as it's cold in this province, and he lives in the apartment complex next to my condo. I have a car, he doesn't.

His purchases: 2k bag of breaded chicken fingers, brick of cheese, white buns, 2 pizzas, french fries, hot dogs, KD, beefaroni, canned chicken soup. He doesn't "cook" food, he heats it.

My weekly purchases: roma tomatoes, romaine lettuce, onion, broccoli, ground beef, steak or roast, chicken breasts, carrots, bell peppers, eggs, turkey bacon, bananas, juice, whipping cream, small brick of farmer's cheese, sweet potatoes,

Monthly purchases: tomato paste (make my own sauces), rye crackers, loaf of spelt bread, spelt tortillas, bag of frozen strawberries, protien powder, sour cream, caesar dressing, mayo **

That being said, when I'm out, I may see an ingredient that makes me buy stuff to make a certain meal/dish. Eg: If the fresh basil looks good I may buy extra tomatoes and garlic for making bruschetta; if I feel like chicken parmigiana, I'll pick up some romano cheese etc. I love cooking so my list is covering the basics, not the impulsive "ooh, I want to make that at home" purchases... Plus, because of food allergies, I tend to have to hit 4 different stores to get a variety of foods I can eat at decent prices.
 Me Leona
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/15/2008 4:46:48 PM
For some reason I love grocery shopping. I'm glad I have the money to pay for groceries. I like cooking my own food and knowing what I'm eating. Basically I'm the same as what I've read, sticking to the staples, and I have an 18-year-old son so I keep his needs in mind as well: eggs, cheese, milk, orange juice, bread (whole wheat), frozen pizza, frozen veggies (spinach, broccoli, green beans, peas), fresh veggies (potatoes, lettuce, carrots, celery, onions, corn, mushrooms, green beans) tomato/pasta sauces, cereal, pastas, rice, chicken/steak/ground beef, salad stuff, spring & distilled water, tuna, soups and broth, coffee/tea, canoleo or earth balance, condiments, ice cream (for him), WINE (for me), yogurt, apples and/or other fruits, sour cream, beans, spices... I'm so full right now but I know I'm forgetting something ... which usually happens while I'm in the checkout line... I even buy potato chips and tortilla chips and salsa... and beer too. Most of my stuff is organic or all natural though. It's nice to see so many others eat so healthy!
 imalitltpot
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/15/2008 6:12:55 PM
All I know is one day I went to Whole Foods and bought 3 items for about $9 total. I can usually get 2 bags of my usual junk for $9 at the regular grocery store! Screw the health food.
 Me Leona
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/15/2008 7:42:17 PM
I agree with you there, litlpot, as far as that particular store goes, I like it but it's run in and run out as fast as I can, because of what you say. There's a couple things I go there for that I can't get anywhere else, but for the most part I try to get what I need at the regular grocery which now carries more and more healthy choices.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > GROCERY SHOPPING!! Habits? Men vs. Women? What You Get? Let's Discuss Grocery/Food Shopping!!