Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is "separated" single?      Home login  
Msg: 651
Is separated single?Page 27 of 37    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)
Hallelujah Sister!
Personally I've already stated where I'm at.
BUT in the end it comes down to people change and feelings change. That is what led to the break-up and I guess in some cases leads to the reconciliation.
Msg: 652
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/17/2006 1:13:01 AM
When I was in my twenties, I had a friend who worked up north on the oil rigs. Mailed his cheques home to his wife so he wouldn't blow it. Came home one day to find both the bank account and the house empty. We thought it was pretty funny that she even took the roll of toilet paper off the holder. Couldn't even sit down to think about it. So they divorced. He married someone else. Had a kid. Then divorced that one a little later. Then he remarried the first girl!. They lasted a year or two. And when she left him again, she did exactly the same thing. Including the toilet paper. So you never can tell.

But risking reconcilliation or risking getting traded in for a better model, I fail to see the difference in danger level.
Msg: 653
view profile
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/17/2006 1:41:27 AM
I am separated and consider myself single. The law in my state says that a divorce is not granted until 1 year after both parties have agreed to the terms. The parties must also agree to end physical relations and cannot reside at the same residence. During the 1 year period, you are considered separated although all real and emotional ties may have been severed, as in my case. I'm now 3 months from finalization in the legal sense, but long DIVORCED in the real sense. There is no chance of reconsideration or reconciliation.
Msg: 654
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/17/2006 4:48:01 AM
a 27 year marriage has left me emotionally bankrupt, cannot face divorce as well,
Msg: 655
view profile
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/17/2006 9:06:47 PM
not according to the legal stuff, I consider myself single but because the divorce is not final i am listing as seperated, have been living single for 3 months now, havent seen hser since the hearing when she threw things at me. just cant wait for that day to arrive, and there is a good chance she may be looking at prison time. so take your pick
Msg: 656
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/17/2006 9:23:47 PM
Well, technically, I guess it's are still legally married.

It's a personal choice for me not to date men that are "separated"....I know people that do and they are fine with it...
Msg: 657
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/17/2006 9:45:30 PM
i have been separated for almost 15 monthes now and have no intentions of ever going back .so if you dont want to date separated people dont ..why make a big issue out of it god people get a life
Msg: 658
only stuck with the debt.......
Posted: 5/18/2006 12:46:14 AM
if a joint account. Again,in my situation, separated is as good as divorved. And actually, given your scenario, the ex goes into debt on their own (or, as stated by me before, that we agreed on certain things as far as bills),poor them. Personaly, and I have, one should make sure every base is covered before the ex get's an insanity fit.

What would I do? Nothing, except make sure my daughter was still taken care of, because that was part of the deal.
Msg: 659
Posted: 5/18/2006 12:51:01 AM
define it.There is a big difference between bullshitters out looking for ass, and ones who know the real deal as far as their pending divorce. I really do respect your opinions on the sep/div deal, but you should be able to tell who's full of shit or not.
Msg: 660
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 12:58:01 AM
"you may not feel married, but you are."

Bullshit bro,why should that supposed legality override the wrongdoing of another, or even two that have agreed to part ways amicably? Again,I'll say there is no such thing as actual 'separation papers', as in, the old way of thinking we'll all carry them with us. Why does just about everyone seem to think separation is the equivalent of a high school break up?
Msg: 661
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 1:03:18 AM
"It seems all I meet are still legally married men. "But then nobody knows what I have been through on all of these dating sites I have been on."

Well,then stop hitting all the sites. I'mnot condemning you for dating, but your choice of men (or their interest in you) hinges on what you emulate.
Msg: 662
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 3:22:40 AM
Define it?

Single = legally able to get married.
Msg: 663
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 4:45:11 AM
ha ha your a funny guy single = being able to get married. i cant speak for every one here that has been married BUT i know for me i would never make the stupid mistake ever again
Msg: 664
view profile
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:06:17 AM
Now, now Hazel......he said legally 'able' to get married. He didn't say anything about wanting to. Personally, Being single (never married), I think it's a good definition.

Read all 27 pages. You'll see that people that are separated (as in - not divorced) overwhelmingly consider separated to be single. You'll also see that most (I didn't say all) people that are not married, consider separated to be "not single".

What you see apparently depends on where you are standing when you're looking.
Msg: 665
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:01:15 AM
Bottom line in the scheme of things...if you state that you are seperated and it does not fit the "normally defined" terms ...then if you are serious enough to ask another person to date...or even to meet for coffee...then the full disclosure of an atypical "seperation" would be reasonable and prudent, to include in the discussions, either prior to a date or meeting, although if only meeting for a hear that for the first time face to face would be much nicer than to get it emailed or chatted....
It takes a great leap of faith to buy into the litany of reasons people choose as their rationale to remain within a relationship...while outside of it as well..and what works for one person does not necessarily work for another.

Obviously many men and women have been burned by this scenario, to have this size of thread, but there is also rays of sunshine.
Msg: 666
view profile
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 8:21:38 AM
Well, I've been seperated for 5 yrs now, don't want it back, and want to move on. Financially it's a tax thing, so untill miss right comes along, why spend the money. never hear from her, don't see her and I'm 150 miles away from her, no kids and no regrets, she bankrupt me, and all i can say is good ridens.....Now, where's all the NICE women, who want a nice guy, that just wants to get on with life....and snuggle a bit..
Msg: 667
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 9:22:39 AM
I feel being seperated is recovery time....Remembering who you were and who want to be..

Theropy..........And you never know what can happen...
Msg: 668
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:23:43 PM
Separated can be single….. I have been separated for over three-year and have not laid eyes on my ex, I claim income tax single… I pay my own bills and raise my child. There maybe special circumstances surrounding to why someone did not got the whole 9 yards. My situation takes the cake. But I am not going to post it for the world to read. HOWEVER … as long as the baggage is unpacked and the person has given enough time to get over the past relationship.. They are single!!!!
Msg: 669
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:47:53 PM
to me the definition of being single is no strings attached like never maried no boyfriend or girlfried or even divorced to me is single, being separated to me is married but living separate lifes., no pun intended but like the saying goes "Is not over untill the fat lady sings"
Msg: 670
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/19/2006 5:16:57 AM
ok if im not classified as single ill give you my exes phone # and you can tell him im still married and that its not over betwwen us yet cause the fat lady hasnt sang yet,, ill laugh at you when you when he tells you where to go and how to get there
Msg: 671
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/19/2006 5:34:56 AM
You are still legally married in the eyes of the law and certain churches . In the state of PA. We have a little thing called NO Fault Divorce..If you are serious about dissolving the marriage it's less than 500.00 to get one.

Pitty poor Sir Paul pre-nup, a 1.5 billion fortune , and child support to pay for the next 18 years ..he should have just stayed married
Msg: 672
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/19/2006 5:43:16 AM
If they have been separated for only a short time, then you risk that they might get back together. On the other hand...someone in my shoes, been seperated for 8 years, he has his life and I have mine....divorce, I can't afford a "crook" and he won't pay for one..tried the "free" thing but with that both parties have to agree on everything, right down to the way he dots his i's, and although I would be getting the sh*tty end of the stick here I have agreed to give it all to him just to get it finalized. I look at myself as being single.
Msg: 673
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/19/2006 5:57:45 AM
in my book....OH YES!!!! I am seperated by my choice...but unfortunately have to wait until the $##% agrees to something...or the judge will decide. Some people...seperated is not by their choice so I think that they will have a harder time meeting someone..
Msg: 674
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/19/2006 6:12:20 AM
No technically it isn't, however I would take a lot of factors into consideration before dating someone who is separated rather than divorced.

My current beau is separated, but he was separated for a year from his spouse before we met, and had already divided assets and come to a custody arrangement via a legal separation agreement. He is currently going through the divorce proceedings, but wasn't when we met. I can't lie and say I am not glad that soon his ex will indeed be his ex legally, however it has not been a huge issue.

I think though that l would be leery of anyone who had not gone through the division of assets, who still lived in the same home as their ex-spouse (for whatever reason), or who had only recently split up.

Just my 2 cents.
Msg: 675
Is separated single?
Posted: 5/19/2006 7:52:49 PM
yes! seperated means that your on your own once again!
sepersted meaning not together! divorced means no
leagal ties together. my opinion, seperated is a word
that makes it ok to go out with other guys! im a big
time believer in either marr or not. please dont argue or
yell at me, its only my opinion.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is "separated" single?