Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When to say 'I love you'?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Leeanne
Msg: 26
view profile
History
When to say 'I love you'?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It's funny but, I find that it comes when you both really feel it in a natural way - it never feels forced of like something you think the other might want to hear. A few times in my life when the 'words' come the feeling has already been made very clear. The 'words' now seal your feelings in concrete.
 missy_pq
Msg: 27
When to say 'I love you'?
Posted: 5/12/2006 7:37:07 AM
You should say it when you know you know you truly mean it and NOT saying it is more uncomfortable than laying it out on the table. After that, say it often.
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/12/2006 7:44:07 AM

My problem with people saying I love you, is it is so easy for them to say

Then they don't mean it. Saying it the first time--for a man--should be a bit wrenching. At least it is for me.

Say it when it's time. Yeah, I'm sure that was a big help.
 raspberries n cream
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/12/2006 8:07:04 AM

I'm sure most of you have heard the story of the elderly couple: One day, the wife asks her husband, "Do you love me?", to which the husband replies, "I told you I do when we married 40 years ago; I'll let you know if things change." Surely this is an extreme case, but when is the right time?

You'd be wrong and mistaken. Although everyones different, I have not heard such a saying or story in the short 37 years of my miserable existence. (pause for five seconds----> )))

But seriously, had a good laugh and had not even heard that one before. In my opinion, ok ok ok ok, in my HUMBLE opinion-lol, when could there be a good time or apropos time to say I LOVE YOU?

I think if you have to use the word 'creepy' in the same sentence as asking when is it apropos to mutter or say three much vaunted words, maybe you might want to ponder for effect the heavy value placed on them and the importance of connotation. And sincerity.

Youre talking about a hiearchy and scale of needs and everyone is different.
 Re-AnimatingKain888
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/12/2006 10:23:45 AM
When I say I love you that means I wont turn my back on you.

That each night when the day is through I don't ask much I just want you.

That means if you needed a kidney I'd give you mine. (or steal one, lol)
 Fry Lock
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2006 10:36:10 AM
at bar time; or when the paintball gun is pointed directly at yer a***....
 DaisyGirlKY
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2006 10:46:40 AM
I do know it sure isn't 4 hours after you start IMing a person. That got him blocked (on Yahoo, not here) he wasn't even going to get a "Thank You" out of me for that one.

I tell my kids I love them all the time. As for anyone else, it's just not that easy for me.
 sayonara7
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/12/2006 10:48:29 AM
Never.Believe me, you'll regret it .Okay I honestly don't know.Wait untill the experts comment on your question, you'll have great answers.
 twilight-twin
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/12/2006 11:34:11 AM

From my experience, when you say it you don't even realise these words have left your lips. Simply, because it just FEELS right.

I hate it when that happens buzzingbee!
 msyello
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2006 3:39:30 PM
You say i love you when you actually mean it i love you isnt the phrase you just use with every bf or gf till you guys break up cuz you think its what you do hahaha thats high school for ya.
 wayne
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/12/2006 6:45:46 PM
NEVER !!!! NEVER EVER !!!! EVER!!!!! EVER! Any Questions?
 4YOU2KISS!!!
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:36:54 AM
OP....I myself would prefer to not hear the words "I LOVE YOU" until they are truly meant. It seems that many miss use such powerful words and say them to make their partner feels safe or for their own advantages.

If you really do love someone then telling them should be effortless and just happen...I do not think it is something you should ponder over or duplicate the response given from a partner just to appease. Saying you love someone is very special to many and ultimately will get you in hot water...lol I would much rather be told that I am cared for deeply or other wonderful compliments then to be told that I am LOVED by a man that truly does not love me!!!!!

Loving a person takes time.......there are many stages of a relationship and nurturing one takes time and effort and only through those experiences can you truly get to know your partner and ultimately fall in love with them.

So SAY WHAT YOU MEAN.........AND MEAN WHAT YOU SAY!!!!!!!!!!

Lola and Her Honey
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/11/2008 10:36:17 PM

When is the right time to say "I love you"?

Only ever when you TRULY mean it. When it’s said insincerely, most people can sense that. It sounds differently than when it’s said truthfully and from the heart and it doesn’t create the same response in the person it is said to. Ultimately that just creates suspicion, doubt and mistrust.

I do not think it is something you should ponder over or duplicate the response given from a partner just to appease. Saying you love someone is very special to many and ultimately will get you in hot water...lol I would much rather be told that I am cared for deeply or other wonderful compliments then to be told that I am LOVED by a man that truly does not love me!!!!!

Couldn’t have said it better myself! I’ve been in relationships where I was always the one to say it first, it was never initiated by my partner. And somehow that “I love you too” response every time just didn’t ring true.

LH
 Evenor
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/11/2008 10:47:52 PM
If someone truly loves you, you automatically know it through and through without saying a word. The very act of saying it aloud is a statement that you are unsure that the other person knows you love them, much less them loving you. And the more often you find yourself saying it, wheather you feel you have to or the other person feels they need to hear it only confirms more and more of how unsure you both are about loving each other. Don't waste a second thought on all those what if's that come into your mind that cause you to doubt... follow your heart as it never lies...
 ItsMargo
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2008 11:14:20 PM
I just simply told him "I know you love me". Then we waited for me to catch up.
 EastCoastLipps
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/15/2008 7:28:19 AM
Ya know it sucks that there is such a stigmatism that is attached with saying "I love you" to someone. If you truely feel it, then say it, but only if you really mean it.
Mistaking lust for love is a bad thing and you should recognize that before you blurt that "love you" out.
I am a naturally lovey person and if I truely care about a person as a friend or more, then i'll say it. BUT, if I feel the person may take it wrong, i'll hold off.
I love hearing it though, and I always know when its truely meant.
Can't say it enough to my kids.
Why hold back something that can make a huge difference in any relationship. Just three words that mean so much, that show you care.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When to say 'I love you'?