Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What professions are a turn off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SilverSeven
Msg: 101
view profile
History
What professions are a turn off?Page 5 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
There's only one job that springs to mind as a dealbreaker and that's "Currently Ordained Catholic Priest". I know, I know.......this makes me a less-than-charitable-woman, but I really hate getting struck by lightning BEFORE a man gets my clothes off.....
 Love to Cruise
Msg: 102
view profile
History
What professions are a turn off?
Posted: 5/26/2006 3:17:50 AM
I find it curious that people responding to this thread say they're turned off by certain professions.

Yet, in the thread in the Dating & Love Advice section entitled "Would You Date a Man Who Works at Walmart", most of the women claim they would, and seem to think that's just great.

Seems odd to me.
 Robin2361
Msg: 103
Posted: 5/26/2006 4:21:37 AM
CT Fan:
So, I guess tose same people won't be singing 'Tonight it's You', or 'Mandocello' for that matter!
R.
 Nursee
Msg: 104
Posted: 5/26/2006 6:12:55 AM
Hi everyone, I just came across this post and was alittle shocked with the comments about certain careers.
In regards for the Nursing profession:
First: I for one have only had good comments for what I do.
Second: unless you have walked into a hospital, people really have no clue how demanding the job can be (physically, emotionally, and mentally).
On that note, I can understand why people would not want to date one, we always give all to our patients, we do shift work which is hard on the body and mind. If your passionate about your career, it hurts when you loose a patient, even when you try to keep your gaurd up to prevent pain. I have had many experiences where the loss of a patient has taken a toll on me, and yes, it does take some time to get over that. But I never regret what I do as I love my career. Many people just could not understand that, therefore would be hard to date a person that has to deal with that on a regular basis.

Regarding other careers, I have no issue with any career providing he is doing what he loves. I am dating a cop and only have great things to say about him. He is not demanding, mean or over powering, if anything, he is supportive of my career, understanding of my needs and does everything to try to make things easier for me. I would say that I am very lucky to have him in my life.

womanandmom
Msg: 105
Posted: 5/26/2006 6:34:57 AM
So relieved to read that no one said "Tax man" lol.
 chippergirl
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/26/2006 7:45:23 AM
Turn offs for me:

warehouseman, grill cook, hairdresser (men ones), CNA, janitor, cashier

magicfingers1
Msg: 107
Posted: 5/26/2006 7:55:11 AM
I am a respirateur!
My vocation is musician and for the judgemental types, i have developed this little dialogue.
them.... "what do you do?" (me) "When?"....... When what?" "exactly"!
 Bryantinfl
Msg: 108
Posted: 5/26/2006 8:06:58 AM
Mechanics - Although they provide a valuable service...I get turned off by the grease under the fingernails. Which ALWAYS seems to be there.

Doctors - Again...valuable service...but never available, always working - no thanks.

Models - So into themselves.
 Dreamer MD
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/26/2006 8:47:04 AM
Im getting a lot of resistance because I work with my hands, even though I build high quality reproduction furniture and have a BOOMING business.
 BlackCat36
Msg: 110
Posted: 5/26/2006 8:49:16 AM
lol some men get turned off by my job lol i tell them what i do and they block me
 mike919293949596
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/26/2006 9:02:58 AM
At what age does a paper boy , become a paper man ? And does he smoke lol
 UCBrotha
Msg: 112
Posted: 5/26/2006 9:24:41 AM
^^^If they drive a car when delivering your paper, they have become a paper man...
 !somewhere
Msg: 113
Posted: 5/26/2006 9:34:45 AM
biggest turn off for me would be a prostitute,
...also thief, drug dealer, con-artist, pretty much any type of illegal profession

I met a lady about a year ago, she doesn't live near me, she happened to be visiting a friend who lives not too far from me. We exchanged phone numbers and email addresses, I really didn't expect it to lead to anything.

After the occassional email, the odd phone call, and chatting online a couple of times, I realised how much we had in common, much more than I'd originally suspected. We get along very well with each other, but I never assumed that it would lead to anything.

I met her in person for the second time, not too long ago, while she was visiting her friend again. We hung out together 1 day and had a great time together, realising further how well we can get along with each other, and how many interests we have in common. For the first time since initially meeting her, I actually realised there may be a potential for a serious relationship her. But also on that day, as we talked and learned more about each other, I found out that until recently she had been a drug-dealer.

Instant turn-off for me. Not a small time dealer either. She'd been involved in organised crime in the city she was living in for several years. Turns out, the first time I'd met her, she was staying with her friend trying to put her previous life behind her. She no longer lives in the same city, and spoke very openly to me about wanting to put that life behind her. I honestly believe that she has put it behind her, and has no intentions of returning to it.

But I still believe that somebody who was once seriously involved with this type of activity, is somebody who does not really have the same morals or values that I do. I will continue to think of her as a good friend, and always hope for the best for her. But I would prefer that somebody that I would have a serious relationship with, has the same values as I do.
 wazzamatta
Msg: 114
Posted: 5/26/2006 2:42:38 PM
gynecologist?
 Aurora73
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/26/2006 3:40:32 PM
Management. There is something innately scuzzy about buttkissing or sleeping your way to the top of the corporate ladder.

~Aurora
 butterflygrrl29
Msg: 116
Posted: 5/26/2006 8:36:11 PM
One guy I was chatting with had "helping others" as his profession on his profile. When I asked him what he did, he skipped around telling me... Then when we had a telephone conversation he gave me a large explanation basically boiling down to the fact that he is a car salesman to people who have credit problems. Then he reassured me and told me that he is an honest person.
 Brownsugar1313
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2006 6:29:26 AM
It really astonishes me that people in this day and age would want to discriminate against another persons profession. When will we ever have enough. I mean we complain when our mates are unemployed but then we hate what they do or are turned off by it. At least they have something honest and are able to be self-sufficient and pay their bills.

If someone is happy doing what they are doing then who cares.......

All the professions that people are on here knocking, we need them. I mean if we didnt have nurses how do you think those doctors would be able to do their jobs.....without the garbage people, we would be living in a maze of stinkiness, without waitresses when you go to a resturant who would serve you your food. Without Morticians how would our dearly departed be taken care of.......

Do I even have to say why we need doctors.....they might turn you off but they are the same ones saving your life....they are the same ones saving your childrens lives....gimme a break.....

You know in a post like this I expected to hear people say yeah...you know terrorists turn me off.....pedophiles turn me off......white collar criminials turn me off......

LOL......maybe its too early in the morning and Im not thinking straight but the shallowness of some of these responses really make me shake my head.........

Next Im expecting to hear that teachers and pilots and nuns turn us off.....

I want everyone to close their eyes and imagine the world without all the people in the professions that turn them off.............Now is the world a better place for it..................

We can eliminate them but there will always be people at war, killing each other, robbing banks, abusing our kids and making us always have to look over our shoulders.....

Have a great day everone
 CityWoman
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/27/2006 6:50:20 AM
bottle picker

Pop can collecter

trash collecter

Pimp
 SilverSeven
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2006 8:24:36 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but priests and nuns are not supposed to be a turn-on; This is what I was trying to illustrate with a little humor in my previous post. I don't care what else someone does for a living, but anyone in a profession that is MANDATORILY CELEBATE is off-limits for me, dating and romance-wise.
 sparticuss
Msg: 120
Posted: 5/27/2006 8:33:54 AM
musicians

no appeal and a turn off for me

Are you kidding Farn Gal?

You mean you would turn down dates with Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, or any of the modern crop of rock stars???

How damn finicky can you get.
 NebraskanCowboy
Msg: 121
Posted: 5/27/2006 8:36:37 AM
I will state, you hit the nail on the head. It takes a very special strong emotional person to get involved with a police officer, Trooper, Firefighter, or even one in the military. I will be honest, I fall in the later of the group. Currently 6 years now, on Active Duty with 5 tours to the Middle East, with my 7th approaching this September.
It is very difficult for one, to hear. Sorry, I'm deploying. However, it's the nature of the beast.
 MISS13
Msg: 122
Posted: 5/27/2006 8:37:08 AM
defense lawyers
gynecologist
musicians
police officer
union representative....lmao
catholic childrens aid society
 butterflygrrl29
Msg: 123
Posted: 5/27/2006 8:44:20 AM
LOL @ Brownsugar1313 calling everybody who posted in this thread shallow and then wishing them a nice day.

I've noticed that a majority of the threads on these forums are full of flame fests, (which end up makng the threads quite boring and non interesting to read). Can't people just play nice?

I cannot speak for anybody else, but Brownsugar1313, I agree that everybody's job is equally important in the world. That is why I go out of my way to make sure everybody is treated with the same amount of respect and kindness.

That does not mean that I am going to date a turkey masturbator. Call me shallow if you will, however, that is my opinion and I am entitled to it!
 NebraskanCowboy
Msg: 124
Posted: 5/27/2006 8:47:11 AM
I do want to follow up. You could say I fall into a category. Yes, I wear the uniform, but you know I took on a profession within the military where folks do not want you around unless they want your help. The same goes for on the outside, one has to respect the police officer/ Troopers. I do the same but just from with Military Police/Investigations.

Best thing I ever heard was from one of my college professors. Situation:

Small kitchen fire. Easily put out by fire exstinguisher. No, you call the fire dept. They kick in your door, flood out your kitchen and living room, and for laughs to ventilate, cut a nice size hole in your roof. You think they are Gods!!!

You call the police to report a noise disturbance because you are trying to sleep, wished to be contacted. You arrive, knock on the door to meet with the reporting party. You knock lightly on the door, well, the painting on the wall falls off the floor, breaks the picture frame, puts a dent in the oak wooden floor. Well you end up sueing the dept for a brand new oak finished floor, painting, and picture frame. You think we are the devil for we caused me sleepless hours.

So to all the NURSES, I'll even include Doctors/PAs, Firefighters, Police Officers/ Troopers, and Military (Activec or Guard/ Reserve)...Thank You!!!!

Remember it's the person in the uniform, not the uniform that makes the person. We all took on this profession for a reason. For some, it's making a difference, some it's (today's society...the Guaranteed Retirement/Pension)....and for some it's doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
 Angelle_in_disguise
Msg: 125
Posted: 5/27/2006 9:05:20 AM

If someone is happy doing what they are doing then who cares.......

I soooo agree Brownsugar. My eldest son is interested in a Computer Tech course upon graduating high school. My youngest son wants to be a truck driver. One profession may be looked upon as more 'respectable' than the other, by some people....but, if that's what they have chosen....and they're happy doing it, I support them 100 percent.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What professions are a turn off?