Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 4
view profile
History
ChivalryPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Chivalry is more than courtesy, it's the ideals of knighthood [chevalerie - soldiers with horses, and thus upper class]. It is standards of behavior that extend to both sexes, though especially to women, since women are considered weaker and more vulnerable [like it or not, it's still true, on average]. What Johnny describes is far too common, but it's common, again, to both sexes. Both use the "what's on the road, stays on the road" adage, and have no shortage of rationalizations. My ex was especially good at rationalizing things and convincing herself [I say it's so, it must be so]. In the sense that cheating is dishonorable, it is decidedly non-chivalrous. People being what they are, no one person is going to meet all the standards and stereotypes. Aaaanyway...it's definitely not just guys, and there are lots of excuses.

As an aside, I really don't think "trailer trash" is an appropriate term here. In the way it was used in this thread, it is applied to anyone living in a mobile home. The trailer trash stereotype doesn't really apply to those "struggling to survive". I find it very hard to conceive of anyone struggling to survive with the low overhead of a trailer - it tends to be the opposite, a way to get ahead. I will refrain from defining the stereotype, but the concept is hardly restricted to those in single-wides
 spoiledsambo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Chivalry
Posted: 1/30/2010 10:36:53 PM
I'll throw my opinion in here.

Chivalry is NOT dead....when a guy is acting like a peacock trying to win you over!! I think chivalry comes naturally to men actually. Men that don't open doors, etc. are just dum or rude!!

Off topic: Men are delicious
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 6
Chivalry
Posted: 1/30/2010 11:34:40 PM
^^^

You having those beef in a bun meals again Sammie???????????????

I don't think chivalry is dead, more that women have insisted on carrying more of the day to day things, and some guys are just not into sharing that way! I will always walk on the outside of the sidewalk, open doors, assist with coats, and help to strap them into the vehicle (don't want them to get out quick if they think we are heading the wrong way!). The rude comment is justified, and for the most part I would have to agree. In a lot of cases, chivalry is just being and doing the polite thing, something the next generation has not seen much of in the movies of the day.

Now, would I put my $ 200.00 coat over a puddle and let her walk on it to stay dry...
....... no f'in way, but I would carry her across it so she could keep her feet dry!
 freedom 42
Msg: 9
Chivalry
Posted: 1/31/2010 9:11:21 PM
I always hold the door open if someone nearby is entering, whether it be teenagers or a mom with kids; and 99.9% of the time I do get a "thank you". Helping others with their coat or giving up a seat to the elderly or pregnant is just being courteous and polite, no thank you is expected.
 oldbutfine
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Chivalry
Posted: 3/4/2010 11:06:18 AM
WTH, you didn't pay me
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >