Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what to do with a 47 year old man?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bristle
Msg: 51
what to do with a 47 year old man?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Don't do too much thinking. Let the emotions rule for a while. if you don't have the passion, then pass on it. But if you do, let it happen. It will die down after awhile anyway, so don't worry 5 - 10 years in the future. Don't even worry 6 months into the future. Go with your feelings now and just enjoy what you can.

If you overthink, you will find a dozens reasons why to and another dozen reasons why not to. Life doesn't run on logic. It runs on passion.
 shakdicaprio
Msg: 52
what to do with a 47 year old man?
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:47:13 PM
mmmmm I go for it and just listen to your heart not all relationship are meant to be but if you put a age on it u might lose out. after 13 years I finally lost she was 30 and left but hey if I could meet someone againI do it all over again. if u love him nothing will matter so dont let that get in the way
 zgirlbeautiful
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:21:13 PM
Just wanted to update you all. We will meet in one week. He has showered me with gifts. Something I am not used to, but loving it. and to the guy that mentioned i would be working 14 years after he retires...he is a lawyer that owns a housing development...so he doesn't want his future wife to work...but i am not one to not work....i will always do something even if its my massage therapy just to keep me busy and mad money.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:06:52 PM
zgirl Showering with gifts before he's MET you?? He's a lawyer that owns a housing development, and you've already discussed what you would do as a future wife? Talk about the cart/horse story. You haven't even met the guy and already decided how you would spend your future as his wife? Geez, this is one reason I am or WAS all for meeting soon. Too long talking just leads to all these what ifs when you haven't even MET. It's fine to talk about what you have pictured as far as your future but not a future together when you haven't even met the guy. I went through similar, in talking to someone to get to know THEM not their bank account, they talk about what they own, all this materialistic stuff. Sounds like he's trying to get you to fall in love with his wallet. Sorry, hon but that's my take. He's a lawyer and if he DOES own a housing development, and does ask you to marry him at some point, expect to be asked to sign a pre-nup. Lawyers are expert at protecting their assets. Don't fool yourself. Any man that I hadn't met and was talking to me about what his future wife would or would not do...well, that makes me head for the hills!! You're way ahead of yourself, and if you're impressed with your gift shower, then better be prepared for a surprise. Just MY experience, but the guys who tried to shower me with gifts or sent flowers to my work BEFORE we ever met, those guys were much less in person than what they appeared to be. People who try to buy love and affection can't get it any other way. This just has bad experience stamped all over it. I may be wrong, for your sake I hope I am. I've just never known or seen this to be otherwise. I'm only saying this for you to be prepared. Don't be swept off your feet by anything other than a man who's amazed and wooed you with who HE is, not what he can buy for you. Or maybe I'm different, but that just doesn't work for me. Sweep me away by being YOU, that's the only way it works.
 keepingit
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:11:03 PM
If you want him then you go get him. You will probably be very well treated and it will be exciting for you.
 brownsable
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/16/2006 10:05:18 PM
I dated a man that was 49 and I’m 38, that's an 11 year difference. I had a lot of fun. I personally will only date men that are at least 4-5 years older than me. They have more common sense, know how to carry on a decent conversation and know what they want out of life. Age should not factor in any relationship. (Unless of course your 18 and he is 52.LOL). As long as you are happy that's what matters most. You are the one dating him not anyone else. I find older men intriguing!
 zgirlbeautiful
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/17/2006 6:45:22 AM
bucsgirl,,,,we have been talking for 5 months now. Even though i haven't met him in person yet we have talked alot about life and laughed and had simple conversations. We haven't talked about me being his wife. It came up that he doesn't like to get woken up by a phone call in the middle of the night because it brings back memories of when his mom called and his dad had died from a heart attack. I asked him wouldn't he want to know if someone was hurt and he said his kids yes., i asked what about his wife and he said she would be lying next to him. I said what if he was out of town. he said she would still be lying next to me. I said not if he were out of town for work and she was to be at work the next day. Thats when he said his wife wouldn't be working. So thats how it came about. Personally I like the gifts. Some people are just givers and it doesn't mean they are trying to buy your affection. I think you need to let yourself not be so skeptical because of past experience. Every new situation is not like others. You are cheating yourself by not allowing it to possibly be a new experience.
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:10:40 AM
Brings to mind the old Eagles song, Lying Eyes

City girls just seem to find out early how to open doors with just a smile.
A rich old man and she won't have to worry. She'll dress up all in lace and go in style.
Late at night a big old house gets lonely, I guess every form of refuge has its price.
And it breaks her heart to think her love is only given to a man with hands as cold as ice.

If a man has to lead with his money, don't you wonder if he has anything else in the bag? If you want to be in denial that this is all a down payment, feel free to do so. I've known a lot of attractive women like yourself that use their beauty as power. I hope you aren't doing that, but from reading this whole thread through, an old man who has been around (that would be me) sees that all the gifts are setting you up for teh "After all those things I bought you, you owe me a little wiggly wag" guilt trip.

I hope I am wrong for the sake of your heart, but I doubt it. Married men are typically interested in other women mainly because it's anybody other than his wife.

Try and ask yourself objectively, if he was on welfare and homeless, would he still be attractive to you? Or is this your retirement plan?
 bucsgirl
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:23 AM
zgirl As an outside observer and from reading what you've written, that's how it appeared. If it's genuine and you really like him, I'm happy for you. I don't have to be suspicious, I'm not living it, you are. This thread is not about me, it's about you. As for me, I'm happily involved. So, if it's all good, then just go with it!!
 zgirlbeautiful
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:59:52 AM
eastsideeddie,
no he isn't doing it for that. when we originally met in oct. he sent me flowers and gift certificates and then i met someone and cut all ties letting him know i didn't expect to meet someone that i had such a bond with. After telling him that he still sent me money to help me out because i had lost my job. I didn't talk to him while i dated the other guy and not until we had been broken up for about a month did i contact him again.
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/17/2006 8:02:35 AM
Well, at this point i am out of the conversation.

One last word for you.

Mid-life crisis.

Best to you.
 lust for life
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/17/2006 8:26:08 AM
to answer your question, i say do what feels right to you...age is just a number...it's how you feel once you meet each other. so, stop worrying about it now, since you haven't even met. and, WHY is that? does this fellow live remotely close to you? or even within an hour's drive? i'm wondering why the two of you have not yet met, with all this excellent e-mail and phone chemistry. if the distance is further, why hasn't this rich guy hopped on a plane and come to your town already? i'm suspicious. also, were some of those phone calls for phone sex?

and, here's an unsolicited opinion: your last post set me off! wtf! why are you accepting $$$$ from men on the internet? do you know how that makes you look??? i'm certainly now convinced that your interest in this man is based on his wallet...so what's the big deal about his age? that is what comes with the entire package when you are a young gold-digger looking for an easy ticket (yeah, right, you'd keep working...rotflmao ). lastly, i'm sure that you are exactly what this man is looking for...a trophy.

eddie, you got it so right with that eagles song!!
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/17/2006 9:22:45 AM
Lust for life, I can't message you because of your restrictions, but I can reply. Would you drop me a yoo hoo so I can ask you something offline?

And do you get royalties from those annoying cruise ship ads on TV?
 Nik39
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:18:34 AM
u have age phobia.. if he`s interested.. then go 4 it..
 zgirlbeautiful
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/17/2006 12:51:30 PM
He lives 2 and a half hours away and i work and go to school and have two children so my schedule is crazy...that's the only reason we haven't met yet. And none of the phone convo's were phone sex. I sent the money back to him so you can't call me a gold digger. He just knew at that time i was working 2 jobs and going through divorce and it was around Christmas time. He told me to spend it on my kids but seeing as how i was seeing someone else i didn't feel right accepting it. So don't jump to conclusions. I said he sent me money, i didn't tell you that i sent it back. so..
 southtwngrl
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:06:38 PM
as long as you like each other, who cares. I use to date younger guys that were 20 yrs younger. They were 24 and 25. I dont look my age and they thought I was 30 I told them I want and how old I was and it didnt matter. So go for it and have fun!
 tuktawa
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:14:14 PM
I would hope your behind is not sagging...you've a long ways to go for that to happen..if it ever does...LOL
 tuktawa
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:16:22 PM
Go for it if you are comfortable...the best 4 years of my life were with a man not quite 14 yrs younger than I after my divorce....
 riveraojr
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:52:10 PM
For me, it is normal to date women over ten years younger.

Hell, it would be odd if I dated women within fives of my age.

OP…it is no big deal…have fun!
 NiKi_ChiK19
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/25/2006 1:21:09 PM
If you feel comfortable talking to him maybe he isn't so bad?
 Eilan73
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/25/2006 1:30:36 PM
I'm 32 and my hubby's 48. When we started seeing each other, we were 28 and 44, respectively. We have quite a bit in common.

I think it depends on the people involved.
 Popsicleman
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/26/2006 8:38:53 AM
No way. Age is another stereotype like color, high school, religion, etc. People use designations to try to identify with something simple and elementary because thats what humans are, simple and elementary. It's like two Americans becoming best friends in China because they were tired of seeing Chinese and wanted to see someone American again. It's a shallow stereotype and is about as stupid as two cab drivers waving to each other cause they cabs are the same color. Or two Corvcette owners deciding to talk cause they both have the same car. We need to care about one another because we are human. Like if another planet attacked us like in the Sci Fi's, we would be out of luck.

Did I give myself away by saying Sci Fi?
 blue2771
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/26/2006 9:00:04 AM
oh...just go for it,,,I 'm glad not everyone has a thing about age,,,cause I'm 63 and I get asked out a lot,,BY YOUNGER MEN,,and I haven't got back into the dateing thing yet,, but it's nice to know, I can if I want,,,I don't have a problem with age, older or younger,, and don't let it stop you from being truly happy,, he could be MR,RIGHT,,,,,,,,,
 wikkidd
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:19:46 AM

I have a man interested in me..he is 14 years older than i am and only 5 years younger than my mother...

You say he's interested in you...but don't mention if you're interested in him...isn't that the real question here? And if you're not interested, then i would think you've answered your own question and the rest is irregardless....
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:42:51 AM
OMG 2 1/2 hours away from you????? That would be on hour driving and you are too busy to meet prior to these 5 months????? I would have to say best of luck regardless of the age difference. Be sure to bring a box of tissue.....
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what to do with a 47 year old man?