Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Just another DUDE
Msg: 26
Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Unfortunately Ted,I havent found the right one yet.I been on 8 internet dates that just didnt work out for one or the other person.I won't stop searching for my other half on the net however.She is out there for me and she is out there for you too,Ted.There are many out there who found what they are missing in thier lives,so I know true happiness exist.Be careful though.There are scammers,players in both sexes out there.I know,as i experinsed this more then i will fess up to here,lol.Maybe im just too easy or too nice.Whats that old saying"nice/good guys,finish last"? I'm going to prove that saying WRONG,(somehow)
 Just another DUDE
Msg: 27
Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:49:24 AM
Dang i re-read that post of mine it it looks kinda kinked there in one spot,lol.You out there in the cyber world dont be looking in left field,lol.(streight shooter here).I once met a gal and her 10 family memebers online, or so i thought.It was her using 10 different e mail addresses ,plus her own .One Led me on for a long time,never letting me call her.A friend I knew who lived in her city,looked her up in the phone book and I called just to be curious if this was in fact her.The hubby answered,OMG,hehehe.It was her and it does get better,but just 2 of many things that will happen on the net.Watch out for foreign gals who ask for money,to come here also.I know there are warnings out there,but i also know some who got burnt by them mail order bride or groom scams.Happens to both sexes.There are men who scam innocent,vulnerable women also out there.Hey ladies,I am being fair and unpartial,but not to please you.I say it cause it is the truth,something I am about.
 PEPPER*MINTY
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:59:43 AM
OK..so look for someone about 45-50, who has been emotionally free and clear for a while,is positive and who you are attracted to. Done.
 dream mate
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:09:38 PM
I am reletively new at this computer dating thing but I enjoy the experience to the max. With the police and check stops etc... the bar scene gets to be a bit much. Seems like more of a young people thing (the crouds etc). By the time things get rolling it is always after midnight.

I have time to try and find the right mix because the thought of doing another 25 years of hard labor...LOL...doesn't excite me.

It is a bit frustrating going through the files and seeing so many profiles without much of anything in them. You wonder if the person is real or just thrown together with no thought. How do I find out what that person thinks, or wants from me? NOT...DELETE....

Oh and as always the ones that I like the most are the farthest away!
 spaceman213
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:33:00 AM
Hi Ted,

Some Advice. Dating is a challenge for men and women at our age. The internet does however afford you an opportunity to converse with someone and get to know them before you meet them in person.

A suggestion that has worked. I don't post pictures on the internet first off, because if someone is interested they will e-mail and chat, and you can send a picture later. I have also learned that men and women also don't publish a "true" picture of themself, ie., daughter or much younger photo. I would also not place too much merit on someone's stated age, because that could be false. I look at profiles 34 thru 60. Have had the experience of chatting or e-mailing someone with a stated age of 35 and actually be 45.

I would tell you the best solution I have found is this. Chat and e-mail with a person for about two months. Don't give your phone number or photo until both parties feel comfortable about that. Then talk to them on the phone. Then arrange a look and see at a public place, or perhaps a meeting in a public coffee house. Converse some more and then set up for a fun date to go dinner and dancing, or a picnic at a local public park. The key is go slow and be patient. Oh yes, in conversing I NEVER start a conversation about sex. Be the gentleman and let her bring it up and answer only her question, don't cybersex her. Ladies that talk about sex I stay away from, because they are normally hookers or police officers on the internet. If you want a meaningful relationship and have fun, then you wil take the time and chat, e-mail, and talk to someone. Sex is an extension of a relationship and "raises the bar" further to a new level.

You can also can not have the perfect solution even after what I have told you. Being a man, I have had the first meetings after two months e-mailing whereby you meet at a restaurant for a drink and snack. Then gone to the parking lot where the lady laid a kiss on you that would charm a snake. She then asked that we go somewhere to talk. Went down the street to a vacant industrial park where we had another long session of "parking" (kissing and touching). THen got out of the car, walked around the building and she stopped me, kissed me, dropped to her knees, and then gave me a BJ. The second meeting was more crazier, because I was suppose to pick her up at her work. She said she had to work late, and I was picking her up and going out to dinner. Lol! Got there and the office complex was nearly vacant. Went to her office and she said that veryone had left half an hour ago, and we where all alone. She closed her door and blinds, and then came over and gave me a big hug and then touched my pants. She told me that she was horny and needed some relief. She ws wearing a dress, so she picked it up and had me do her doggie style on her desk. She then turned me around gave me a BJ and we did it missionary on the floor. We stayed there for about two hours, and then the janitor knocked the door, which surprised us both.
We got dressed, and I asked if she was going to dinner with me, and she said no, she had to go home to her kids. This was the last time I saw her. We conversed and talked for another
month but neither one of us could bend our schedules. Then one day I noticed in the headlines where a lady was being sentenced for child abuse in a daycare facility. Strange how things happen.

I wish you luck. Just be cautious.
 learnerdarling
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:35:28 AM
i have posted many different profiles it seems like all the women out there want some one 10 yrs younger, met ladies and met some that are not , i have had dates with married women and ones that want to be married , does age or looks have anything to do with the quality of people you meet , yes i think it does.
 cocarrot
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:31:25 PM
hey ted, you say too old and too young, but your profile limits are set much narrower than that. I'm 50 and wouldn't figure I was out of your league - and from your profile we might have a fun time, but yours sez ladies only up to 47.
I'd say, if you're not having success, a good looking fun fellow like yourself - maybe open up your view a little.
I've met a few interesting guys - my biggest problem is I get irritated as hell when I arrive to find that yet again, they've lied about their height by 2-3 inches. What measuring tape are they using? I don't really mind what height they are, as long as they don't lie about it. And I will admit it's hard for me to dance with a guy shorter than I.
Also, men appear to be lazy to me - not one will travel more than to the very next city to meet you - and I live in So California in a very rural area. I'll meet half way - how come guys are so resistant? I've always found the best things have to be worked for ....
and what's the "baggage" thing. Good grief man - what woman in your age group won't have baggage of some sort? A nun? If she's been out there, living, she'll have baggage, whether it's kids, issues about men, security concerns, whatever. Hard to believe you don't have any - in fact, isn't this post about YOUR baggage? If you find a woman in her 40s without baggage - run, she's got to be psycho.
I wish you luck. Feel free to email me with your thoughts or problems. This is fascinating to me .... a good looking, interesting guy, who 'can't get a date'!! How stupid do the women in Las Vegas have to be?
Bye!
 TomiJay
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:32:24 PM
Welp, unfortunately I find that I can't claim "my parents won't let me..." at this age, so it gets fun beyond that LOL.
I am not about goin fast anyways, so this slows the process down, with out the hangover.
Life is a gamble at best.... plunge in, be smart, meet a lot of folks for coffee and see what happens; coffee isn't a marriage proposal, it's coffee.
Been fun, met guys I wouldn't have thought about, met some that worried me and met some that never contacted me back either.... I am not bleeding out so must be ok.
Something will happen when it's time, but time slips away, so grab the ring when you go around
 aspecialangel
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2006 3:50:56 PM
I'm 50 this year and the amount of 30yo men that have contacted me is unbelievable and after a few discussions have found out that a big majority think that because you're in or close to your 50s that your going to take what ever is offered cos time is running out
Piffle, my time has just started, no kids, little baggage but most of all experience in weeding out the d**kheads who think they're God's give to 50yo women
 nced51
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2006 9:02:02 AM
Hi my name is Ed and im 55 live in High Point NC and im looking for friends close to home don,t drink so it,s hard to meet people and im looking for a friend not one to sleep with but one to do thing,s with like going to the moves or just watching some tv or plaaying cards or going out to denner it get,s so lonley sometimes hope to here from someone my email is nced518178@aaol.com Hope To find My Best Friend
 Ailed
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/11/2006 11:02:50 AM
I have tried another dating service, and have found that it is with Internet dating similar difficult to find someone sincere enough to built a relationship. I wonder, if there is anyone out there for me. I am a bit disappointed. I have signed up here because it is free and I have nothing to lose.
I would like to know the percentage of successrate of people signing up with Internet dating services finding a long-term partner.
Where is my soulmate??????
 Magickman
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2006 1:33:54 PM
Look at the bright side, Ted.

Things will keep getting better for you. Differential sexual mortality means that as we men age, our male cohort is dropping like flies. The sex ratio shrinks as the years pass. If you can wait, the women will come to you. Supply and demand will find lesser supply of men, and higher demand for them, which bids up the price.

Finding the right one will always be a challenge, but it should be getting easier, not harder.
 RapunzelRapunzel
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/11/2006 2:11:04 PM
Good gosh-a-mighty! You better invest in one of those "Now Serving" number tab thingies like at the butcher shop, lol. Darlin' don't worry, you won't have much trouble getting nibbles.

Great pics by the way. Daaaaaang, next time I go to Vegas I might just STAY in Vegas, hee hee.

Ok, ok I'll be good. Honestly . . . I only had one successful internet meet in my life and the relationship lasted three years. Twas long distance, too. I've gone out with maybe four people from here, and another ten or so from other sites in the last three years. Just not much luck. No one's fault but just no click. What is odd is I don't tend to stay friends with them despite this, while I still correspond and even get together (not sexually) with boyfriends from as much as 20 years ago! Some people on the net seem to want to hop from one person to another for the next best thing, and if you can't serve that purpose then you aren't worthy of even friendship. Note I said "some." A week or so ago there was a thread here pondering the validity of a face to face connection vs the net, and I really am starting to think there is something to the fact that a person you meet in the "real" world is more likely to . . . well, I won't say connect, but at least attract or repel you on a level you can analyze and move from there on. Geesh, could that sentence BE anymore confusing, lol? What I mean is when I meet someone in person I know from the get-go if I am attracted to them, and I can read certain signals. Even if they end up not being perfect, or even for me, I can at least feel they've been straight up. An internet deal can lead you on for days and weeks before you know that, and the disappointment, if it occurs, is acute. People on the net also tend to be a bit more weird (sorry, ya'll gotta agree with me here, huh?) and that is why I don't maintain friendships with them. Has little to do with the physical, everything to do with them being quite bizarre, or more often RUDE!

So good luck, brave soldier! You will "meet" some great ladies here. I can't vouch for what they will be "in the flesh."

Rap
 galaxy-drifter
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:13:28 PM

." A week or so ago there was a thread here pondering the validity of a face to face connection vs the net, and I really am starting to think there is something to the fact that a person you meet in the "real" world is more likely to . . . well, I won't say connect, but at least attract or repel you on a level you can analyze and move from there on.

I would agree with the face-to-face comment. I for one am somewhat new on this web dating fiasco. But I have never had so many doors closed so fast in my life. Sorry to here, but somewhat comforting that’s it’s not just the guys that struggle on these web sites. I will admit that the web is no grocery store or Wal-Mart between 10 and 2 on Saturday. No one goes to clubs anymore. So Guess I’ll go to check out the cruise ships. Like soon!!

Sometime it appears a person is seeking the new model, no ageing what so ever, but with the experience of a lifetime, and lets not forget MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Mr. perfect, I cannot even believe my self that any guy could live up to some of these, wants, /demands.
At least in real life you have a chance to display charm, and flirt a little. The eye contact tells a lot if they are going to be a little bit of interested. But to ask most guys to express themselves in writing, whom are we trying to kid. Now the ladies are way much better at this, guess that what we get for not reading all those romance novels.
 RapunzelRapunzel
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:54:11 PM
I would agree with the face-to-face comment. I for one am somewhat new on this web dating fiasco. But I have never had so many doors closed so fast in my life. Sorry to here, but somewhat comforting that’s it’s not just the guys that struggle on these web sites. I will admit that the web is no grocery store or Wal-Mart between 10 and 2 on Saturday. No one goes to clubs anymore. So Guess I’ll go to check out the cruise ships. Like soon!!

Sometime it appears a person is seeking the new model, no ageing what so ever, but with the experience of a lifetime, and lets not forget MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Mr. perfect, I cannot even believe my self that any guy could live up to some of these, wants, /demands.
At least in real life you have a chance to display charm, and flirt a little. The eye contact tells a lot if they are going to be a little bit of interested. But to ask most guys to express themselves in writing, whom are we trying to kid. Now the ladies are way much better at this, guess that what we get for not reading all those romance novels.

Trust a Bama boy to exhibit such grassroots insight. Frankly though, I DO find the internet to be a veritable playground of the great unwashed. I have never encountered such rude, low class men in my life, and hey, I was raised just two hippity skips from sharecroppers so it ain't like I'm some snob when it comes to the working class. Has nuthin' to do with that. Professors, waiters, garbage men, candle stick makers . . . they all have their moments. In the words of a fellow Over-45er, "I don't want to get off on a rant here but..." the stand-up, cell-phone blocking, passive-aggressive "this is your fault" shenanigans of the over 30 set have boggled my mind. It's like, "C'mon, join our high school games!" Have you menfolk found it to be so with women? If so I am heartily ashamed of our sex.

Truthfully if a man can at least spell he doesn't have to write a romance novel to me, in fact if his words are too flowery they seem waaaaay rehearsed, or borrowed. Fortunately I make my own money, so that isn't a major factor either, but don't expect me to buy you beer while you dodge child support, lol. But with the net men seem to be looking for Pamela Anderson with her own yacht, lol. If we don't idolize them and want to have their babies, and let them tell us what to do every second of the day, and show up looking like a twig in designer clothes . . .we somehow don't measure up.

Then again, I could be wrong, I don't know.

Rap
 galaxy-drifter
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:05:37 PM
Now this is getting Funny!!!

Or has it been all along!!

And let me say I meant no offence to anyone, no did I have anyone in mind. there are some really sweet ladies on this site. Now my bases are covered and I'm out again darn!
 RapunzelRapunzel
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:15:36 PM
No, no, no, you are not getting off that easy.

Tell your horror stories.

Ted needs to know. It is your cyber-civic duty.
 maree12
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:07:12 PM
I am now 48, and just going back into the dating game after 10 years with someone who was my soulmate for the first three of them. Certainly online dating is easy, you just sit on your a##e and rummage through the eligible men, but, because the NET is world wide, you discover that your soulmate does not just live in the next suburb, the next state, but in another country.
I met my last man (the perfect man, so how will someone else ever measure up?) through a Singles magazine, and when he originally wrote to me, I saw that he lived a good 20 miles away from me, so I thought, not a hope there, but I replied, and it worked out.
It is much better to look in the "Friends Seeking Friends" columns in your local newspaper, you have a better chance of actually meeting then, because, it seems like, to me, that no one wants to spend an hour travelling to meet someone who they consider might be totally unsuitable (in looks mostly).
I never met any of my previous relationships through a chance meeting at a party, club, or dance.
 freakyfemale
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/17/2006 12:17:53 AM
Oh Tedsme! If there were more like you in Aussie I would be in heaven!! What a man!!!!
 freakyfemale
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/17/2006 12:27:12 AM
Dont ever give up! Your the man!!
 artfuldodger00
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:22:09 PM
hey gang ,
let me just say this about that.... first : hey there .. here kitty if all older women looked as good as you there would not be a problem !!!..hell id even try a few of the old lines out on you if i could remember any????. and second : is it me or do women seem to get older sooner . i mean women in general look much older than guys the same age . honestly some are just plain shot out looking. now please im just being honest . dont bomb me with emails that implicate me in some terrorest plot to undermine all women. but really the ones ive seen at 35 look 50 and at 45 look 65 .i hope this has just been my perception . this has been going on for some time now . course i did do some mind altering substances as a young lad maybe i......... what were we talking about again????? where am i.....? p.o.f. what the hell is that?????
 charlie_girl
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:05:03 AM
I enjoy meeting people both on and off the internet, with both presenting different and similar challenges. I do agree however, that this is the easiest way with more to choose from. I do not agree, as someone else mentioned, that one should not show their photo. Nor do I agree that a couple sincerely interested in getting to know each other better, should email for 2 months! Two or three emails and couple of phone calls should answer all questions, enough at least, before taking the meeting. I'm here to meet someone, not to have an email buddy.

off topic:

artfuldodger:

..is it me or do women seem to get older sooner . i mean women in general look much older than guys the same age . honestly some are just plain shot out looking. now please im just being honest . dont bomb me with emails that implicate me in some terrorest plot to undermine all women. but really the ones ive seen at 35 look 50 and at 45 look 65 .i hope this has just been my perception . this has been going on for some time now ...

Yes, it's you... your perception. And seemingly, in my opinion, a narrow one.
 magicfingers1
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/22/2006 2:20:04 PM
Days of whine and roses..........or...where is the love?
I wonder if the staff ........at any of these online dating sites...... actually take the time to read what the actual customers say amongst themselves...I would be willing to BET... they don't!..and if they do it is just "the way it is"..is the common attitude! To a degree, this is true, but most of the sites are structured in such a way that it lends itself to alienation and deception.

Take for instance all the ridiculous screenames that are used....either they are significant , or they are not!. Then silly profile question like...... Turn-ons?-.... Turn-offs?.....my ideal first date?!.. (Can you say junior-high)?............. But back to the user forums.........The ratio of men to women is hotly debated ........but ranges from 6 to 1.. to ...20 to 1! ..........All the men are crying about either total lack of response from the women they e-mail, or they complain about not getting anyone to meet with them in the "real" world.

Here is a list of actual excuses posted by anonymous visitors to a popular free dating site.

no time...funeral just came up...having surgery...recovering from surgery...appointments...business meetings...relative had baby...have a job...going to the gym...looking after grandma...looking after relatives baby...phone out of order...scared...emotional distress...seeing friends with benefits...can't bring the dog...no cash...too far...too tired...can't make up mind...personal crisis...will meet in future...too soon.... you deserve someone better...and............... (last but not least..i couldn't make this up!) the dog ............ate my car!
 garry1949
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/22/2006 11:47:33 PM
If we, the fiftyish, the 'boomers' are the pig in the python, it is worth noting the location of the anus. Elimination is not so far off. Let us therefore dwell on what we can be thankful for... our health, our freedom, our children, our toys, our security... Maybe it's time we abandoned the notion of dating and all it's eventual confinements and possible liabilities.
 charlie_girl
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:57:48 PM
Speak for yourself.

As for me, I believe that it ain't over until it's over, and until that time actually does come, I plan on enjoying life's banquet.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)