Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PrettyWoman1952
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
tedsme: I certainly wish you well. You are a very attractive man and seem to have your head on straight. I'd certainly enjoy your company! Kathy
 JA of OC
Msg: 52
Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)
Posted: 7/9/2006 1:47:31 PM
The older we get, the smarter we are (hopefully) and yes, this does narrow our choices. For me, I see what I failed to avoid in the past rather quickly.
 3rd rate
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/9/2006 1:56:19 PM
It's not only challenging, it's impossible outright. The best that can be hoped for is to be initially mistaken for someone better, enjoying what few sparks can be had from a well worn stone and a smither of flint. Then, cold rushes back all a round like water drowns a man.
 classact504
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/9/2006 7:51:43 PM
I think dating at 49 is even more fun then when I was younger. Maybe I am just not as uptight about the whole dating scene as I was when I was younger.

What hasn't changed as that most men want to talk about sex after one date. Sorry but if I have to sleep with you to get a second or third date you are too shallow for me.
 cdn_guy
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/9/2006 9:01:48 PM

For me, I see what I failed to avoid in the past rather quickly.

Dunno, maybe it's just me ... but I think that sentence should be sitting in a book of quotations, somewhere. Good work, ja of oc

cdn guy
 Meleah
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/9/2006 9:12:21 PM
Yes, I've met a couple of very nice gentlemen. This is a good place to start, too. Your profile reads very, very well. You shouldn't have any problems attracting women. Good luck!
 southgatez1
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/9/2006 9:28:43 PM
Hey
all I can say from my experience is GOOD LUCK!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/9/2006 10:16:54 PM
...Indeed it is. You'd think as we mature it would get easier, we would have perfected this whole dating thing....not so. I've been out of the dating arena for too many years to mention and things have changed. Theres all these rules and books and talk shows....when to call, how long to wait, who should do the pursuing, its gets complicted. It doesn't help when you've been brought up from the old school, things are done differently today. Look where I am, happily tapping away on my computer hoping to meet my match. How crazy is that? If someone told me 10 years ago that I would be on a dating site .........

...maeflowers
 Gentle Sea Breeze
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/9/2006 11:11:54 PM
I've never followed rules or regulations when it comes to dating. I follow my gut instinct.
If it feels right and it all clicks naturally then it's a go.
I chose the internet as my venue to meet my possible match because I am not the type of person to venture out on my own to bars or pubs, clubs or restaurants.
I am not very outgoing and am somewhat shy, therefore find it hard to start up a conversation face to face.

I had found not one but two needles in this huge haystack but had to put them back for reasons beyond my control.
I'm hoping there will be a third needle in this huge haystack!

justmeinnc05
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/10/2006 4:52:06 AM
You are a very confusing man. In your post you say that under 30 is too young for you, but in your profile you say you are looking for women between the ages of 22 and 52.
 beachesofnc
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2006 7:13:02 AM
Hey tedsme...did anybody ever tell ya you look like "Tool Man Tim"? I always thought he was hot ! Anyway, I hope you're not into this internet thing seriously looking for the love of your life; you'll be disappointed. Rather, come into the forums, chat a bit and look at it with the attitude of making new friends and getting to know people. I have learned to keep my expectations low and that way I'm not as disappointed as often. I have talked to some great people and made some pretty decent friends; but as of yet, I haven't found "the one". Good luck to ya !
 horselady48
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2006 12:44:43 PM

If someone told me 10 years ago that I would be on a dating site .........

I couldn't agree more. I got talked into this by some friends because I was a workaholic & not getting out to meet people. That's all changed now. I'm dating & it's definitely CHALLENGING but a necessary means to an end
 b_michael
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2006 4:53:30 PM
What if...
Now that we are older, we are set in our ways.
We are less willing to compromise on what we are willing to accept in a mate.
We have a hard time picturing ourselves with someone else afte X years with another.
We compare any new person with our idealized ideal mate.
Our idealized ideal mate doesn't exist.
What then....???
Do we grow old alone? Do we finally realize at somepoint that someone is better than no one? I've got questions, who's got answers?
 Gentle Sea Breeze
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/10/2006 5:46:04 PM
I think at our age we do tend to be set in our ways but we must also be somewhat flexible.
We are less willing to compromise yet we must understand that by being flexible there is room for growth.
Yes, we tend to compare new to past relationships yet by being flexible we are open to experiencing something possibly bigger and better than our past.

Question is, do we grow old alone with our unwillingness to compromise and be flexible or do we live a healthy possibly happy life experiencing new partners and challenges by being somewhat flexible and open minded in our old age?

No doubt in my mind, I choose the latter.
 greeneyedlady57
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/11/2006 5:56:25 AM
Hi Everybody, a good friend told me about this forum and he said there were alot of nice people over here, and well he hasn't given me bad advise so far.I think we have to take dating at our age (makes me feel so old), for what it is. Meeting people on the internet
talking abit, exchanging different points of view. But I don't think a first date( for lack of a better word), sould feel like a job interview, and that is what most of them feel like.
Why not take that word right out of the conversation. Instead let's just say " How about 2 friend's getting togeather, to enjoy a couple of hours togeather".
All of a sudden that intence nervousness disapear's, and if it doesn't work out well, you got out and met someone new. You may not want to spend the rest of your life with them, but
you didn't spend the day inside, woundering what everybody else is doing.
We are all just human, with all our bagage, and our share of scarey people we've run into in our life, but at our age isn't that normal? Unless we have been living our livies with out taking chances. And what's life with out taking a few chances? Boring! So let's get out there and met some new friend's, and take the pressure off everyone, and stop calling them DATES.
Just a thought!
 cdn_guy
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/11/2006 7:52:29 AM
Wise words, greeneyedlady -- and so nice to see you back posting again and stopping by to visit us here. I couldn't agree with you more. I fumbled my way through words something to that affect when I wrote out my profile. Let's just get together, like a couple of friends would get together ... pick a place to meet, both people bringing a few ideas on what to do to the table and see what happens. The first date to me (and geez, it almost feels intimidating calling it that) ... the first date is just a continuation of getting to know the person. The friendship has usually already been established through e-mails, phone calls, and the like and getting together in person is just the next step. I have no problem (really) with going to a concert together if that's what my 'date' really wants to do, but mostly I'm there to meet her and to talk with her and in venues where the 'house' entertainment takes centre-stage, this is often difficult. So I say, let's just put us both together in the same spot at the same time, each with a few ideas on what to do and let's see what happens. If there's a chemistry thing going to happen, we'll have no trouble finding something pleasant to do.

cdn guy
 Halfevl333
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2006 8:07:54 AM
Well I have had a lot of luck meeting nice women near my age here. Have a ton of female friends..unfortunately they live across the country in one direction or another... There are some very nice ladies here..just have to either let them come to you or you find them...

You are a nice looking guy so should have far less trouble getting women than I did..

Good luck

horselady48
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2006 8:58:40 AM

If there's a chemistry thing going to happen, we'll have no trouble finding something pleasant to do.

This actually works. On a first meeting [I don't call it a date any more], we agreed to meet for coffee at a spot that was mid way between both of us [local fella]. It went extremely well so he ordered lunch - I couldn't eat, I was too nervous. After several hours of talking, he asked if I would like to go somewhere else for a drink which turned out to be supper. It was a great first MEETING that turned into a great first DATE
 creamykisses
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/11/2006 9:06:49 AM
I would like to ask did anyone notice this thread started back in march
the Ot 's last post was in march and if it hadn't been fo Ja oc it would have died... so whats been going on with ted??? and I am glad to see his thread didnt die....
 cdn_guy
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/11/2006 9:20:36 AM
Yes, creamykisses, I did notice that -- and I also noticed that he posted the thread the day he joined plentyoffish. Methinks he quickly found out that he was interested in many of women over 30, under 60, with very little baggage, and not jaded that were also interested in him. Prolly just embarassed (or wa-a-a-ay too busy) to come back on-line and talk to us again ...

Nice fish pond in here, ain't it Ted?

cdn guy
 creamykisses
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/11/2006 9:46:26 AM
CDN I know you asked good ole ted but I have to answer ... I adore this fish pond
always look forward to reading your thoughts posted among us fishies here ...
 holly9
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/11/2006 9:47:26 AM
[Maybe it's time we abandoned the notion of dating and all it's eventual confinements and possible liabilities.]

I'm beginning to believe this, garry1949.
 creamykisses
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/11/2006 9:54:34 AM
HOllY .. NOOOOOOOOOOOO we have too much to offer our other fishies never give up ... those were some very famous words... from a very adored man... never give up!!
 InTampa46
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/11/2006 11:03:27 AM
Sometimes I think I'm an odd duck in a pool of fishes. If success is meeting some great people and creating close relationships, I have had lots of success. Now if success is finding the elusive "One," not quite. I look at my mom (77) and one of my older sisters (56) and they are extremely happy and meeting people for more than 10 years. I too have been divorced for 10 years and started with a personal ad the weekend after the divorce was final. My very first date was with someone 18 years older and looked old enough to be my dad. It was a pleasant and fun time. Remember to enjoy the ride and you won't miss getting to the destination so badly. Sometimes I even think that one of the guys I've met in the past might be the one in the future, so never burn your bridges. They may even be your contact to your future wife. One of the guys I met on yahoo told me about this site. Meet anyone you click with and have fun with no expectations.
 kitten 62
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/11/2006 1:08:28 PM
dont loose the faith tedsme....shes out there for u...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)