Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > aboriginal racism....still happening today?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 semper_vera
Msg: 27
view profile
History
aboriginal racism....still happening today?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

As an Aboriginal person I have to be more articulate, think more clearly, dress nicer, make sure my hair is right. I am allowed less mistakes than "foreigners" and by that I mean any one who isn't Aboriginal.

I don't see that happening with fairer skinned folks

Skin colour isn't the only basis for prejudice. I worked in law enforcement. As a woman I had to 'be more articulate, think more clearly, make sure my hair was right' – and that’s just the start of it. I was allowed fewer mistakes than men. I had to prove myself over and over again.

And yet, I have never used that to justify an irate attitude such as “….THEN SHUT YOUR F'N MOUTH!!!”

As skinnbones has pointed out, Aboriginals aren’t the only ones that have suffered. Jews are “fairer skinned folks”. And the Jewish people have had to deal with prejudice for many, many centuries longer than Aboriginals have.

So, to answer the question:YES racism still exists toward the Native peoples of Canada. People will still say and think things toward Aboriginal people they wouldn't dream of saying or thinking about other ethnic groups.

You may not realize it, but other ethnic groups have problems too, you know. Try being a Black in an American inner-city. Heck, try being an Arab in an airport.

.....and when the powers that be are finally on the verge of success in the destruction of our Mother, and we are looked to for salvation I for one will not be saving you racist buggers, I will help your children and leave you to burn in the hell you created for yourselves.

And you have just proven the point about the racism of Natives. At this moment, I’m very glad I’m not Native because I would be cringing to read such a post from a representative of my ethnic group.

Residential schools were planned genocide. PLANNED. And there is more than enough evidence, United Nation enquiry, blah blah, to actually PROVE THAT THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT PLANNED TO GET RID OF THE "INDIAN PROBLEM". Exactly why do you think the Canadian government handed out a formal apology and set up a fund to correct the injustices if they were not actually "trying to wipe them out completely"?

That's an insult to those who are victims of true genocides.

I think the residential schools were one of the greater evils that Natives have had to suffer. However, it wasn't an attempt to 'kill all Indians', but rather an attempt to extinguish Native culture. Yes, that was wrong. Yes, it caused much harm (along with other ills), but it was *not* genocide.

TRUST ME, Native people look forward to the day when they are entirely self sufficient again. Apron strings indeed. How insulting. How racist.

Agreed. The most functional of Native communities seem to be those that are self-governing and economically self-sufficient. They are also the communities whose members seem to have the most pride in their heritage without feeling the need to attack those of other ethnic groups.

And Natives do have a lot to be proud of when it comes to their heritage. As I said before, it's a shame and a tragedy that there are those who feel they should be ashamed of it.

sv
 Raveninns
Msg: 28
view profile
History
aboriginal racism....still happening today?
Posted: 2/27/2007 8:21:44 AM
^^^^^Thank you for that. It is most appreciated.

I've thought about this thread for a couple of days, and like Rae Rae, just decided to let it go, no-one wants to understand. No sense wasting keystrokes and portraying myself as an angry and fanatical Indian, like we all are (LOL LOL, that was a joke!!!....)

And then I read that ^^^. Gives me hope that there are some who do understand.

For me, what was bothersome, was that I would read comments such as Natives are trying, blah blah, BUT....

And for the most part, there is always a "BUT". Isn't there?

If one truly tries to understand WHY, WHY is this particular group in trouble, and take the time to find out why, racism would practically disappear overnight. And instead of focussing on all the negatives, and there are many, (but again, keeping in the question of WHY, Answer: they had the best teachers), try to let your focus aim on the positive! There are many who have dedicated their lives to making their people more healthy. There are many who have dedicated their lives to making their Band more self sustaining and financially healthy.

We have a long way to go, I agree. My point has always been that it will take time. One does not erase three hundred years of systemic abuse in a couple of generations.

I have no doubt that we will though.

Cheers, Raven
 semper_vera
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2007 8:59:27 PM

I have news for all of you. Residential schools were planned genocide.

I know you speak the truth. But the fact of the matter is, no one wants to believe something so horrific happened, let alone feel bad, or own up to it. Many choose to stay ignorant, deny, or lash out at the victims, rather than believe that others could actually let it happen and could have made a difference to make it stop.
Take a peek, folks. She speaks the truth.
http://www.cba.org/CBA/Awards/justicia/native.aspx

violetskye:

I have written a lot on the wrongs done to the Natives in this country.

The residential schools are something that I think only those who were subject to the abuses in them can truly understand.

Yes, the government was out to eliminate Native culture, arguing "it's for their own good".

I am not ignorant of the situation, I do not deny the horrors that were perpetrated on Natives, nor do I care to lash out at the victims of this tragedy.

But calling what happened a genocide is not the truth. Genocide involves the attempt to kill all members of an ethnic group. Ethnocide is the attempt to destroy a culture without killing its people.

What the Canadian government was attempting was an ethnocide, not a genocide.

I read the story on the link you provided. It does not prove genocide, as there is no mention of mass killings.

Genocides are what we've seen in Darfur, in Rwanda, in many other places but thankfully not in our country.

My objection to the use of the term genocide is twofold: first of all, it is an insult to the victims of true genocides; second, and more significantly for your purposes, by trying to claim a genocide that never happened, you give fuel to those who would undermine your arguments, because if they can prove you wrong on that point, they will use that to undermine your other arguments.

So instead of trying to claim an evil that never happened (mass killings in an attempt to eliminate a racial group), focus instead on the evils that were done to the Natives - God knows there are enough of them.

raven:

If one truly tries to understand WHY, WHY is this particular group in trouble, and take the time to find out why, racism would practically disappear overnight...
We have a long way to go, I agree. My point has always been that it will take time. One does not erase three hundred years of systemic abuse in a couple of generations.
I have no doubt that we will though.

You are much more optimistic than I. Or perhaps just less cynical.

I do think that an actual understanding of the problems faced by Natives in our society, or just a little bit of knowledge of the history of even the last hundred years regarding what has been done to Natives, would go a long way to reducing racism. But in my view of human nature, there will always be racist idiots.

Yes, undoing the damage that has been done will take time. I hope that you're right, though: that it can all be erased.

Rae Rae:

You have shown a different side of yourself. "I wish you all kindness, love, respect, honour, and that the lessons meant for you are not learned the hard way.
Love. Light. And let go."

Would that we all adopted that attitude; the world would be a better place. And we could repair the damage much, much sooner.

sv
 yna6
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/28/2007 8:36:33 AM
Been following this thread a bit....lot of anger out there.

"I'm a victim"...the battlecry of anyone who doesn't get their own way. We all use it. I don't care what anyone says...if there was something they wanted and didn't get, they play the victim card...from a promotion at work, to special priveledges because of their skin colour. If it is denied...the person is a self proclaimed "victim". In some cases, they really are victims. In others, they take the attitude that they "should " get special treatment, when it isn't forthcoming, they feel slighted.

racism is going to keep going on the wolrd around, until such time as all people recognize that they are NOT special...they have the SAME rights as anyone else, no special priveledges, etc. All the same. No differences because of race, skin colour, etc, etc.

This would go a long ways towards ending predjudicies.

It is fine to be proud of your heritage, and celebrate it. How many on these forums celebrate St. Patricks Day? Just one day, when it seems the whole world is Irish. Nothing wrong with teaching the kids their heritage, etc...but when we teach them how badly our ancestors were
treated by one group, or how "our people" were forced into situations that were not good for them, we foster more and more hatred, fanning the flames of racial tension, in a never-ending cycle.

What happened in the past IS past...we can learn from that, and not allow ourselves to travel those roads again...leaving a clean future to work with in the spirit of cooperation and humanity.
 semper_vera
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 8:32:51 AM

I do like the fact that I stand out in a crowd because of my skin colour and I walk in my mocassins with pride.

That's a cool attitude to have. I wish all Natives had that much pride in their heritage.

Not to take anything away from what was done to your mother, but that's an argument for ethnocide, not genocide.

Not Genocide? Google Infested Blankets, Canadian Government, Small Pox...if that's not an attempt at Genocide...I dunno.

Well, if you read the scholarly articles rather than just things people believe…

The whole infected blanket issue was with the US, not Canada. The argument for genocide is based on Amherst’s suggestion in a letter written in 1763 to Colonel Bouquet: “Could it not be contrived to send the Small Pox among those disaffected tribes of Indians? We must on this occasion use every stratagem in our power to reduce them.”
The suggestion was met with something less than enthusiasm: Bouquet said he would try, but was worried about what it would mean for his own men (about a quarter of them would also have been vulnerable). There is no evidence that Bouquet ever did try.
Bear in mind the date of the letter: 1763. Jenner did not develop the smallpox vaccine until 1796. While the Native population was more vulnerable to smallpox as it was a new disease, Europeans knew well how dangerous smallpox was to themselves.

The only evidence of ‘smallpox blankets’ being distributed to Natives were two that were given out by a captain at Fort Pitt. While I will not dispute the possibility that this was a deliberate attempt to infect the natives attacking the fort, there was a smallpox outbreak inside the fort. This means that infected blood from soldiers (and their scalps) would have transmitted the disease much more efficiently than the blankets would have (though the soldiers had no way of knowing that - germ theory would not be accepted until the next century with the work of Louis Pasteur). When infected warriors returned to their tribes, they brought the disease with them.

Much of what is now “known” about smallpox blankets is based on writings by Ward Churchill – which has since been proven to be full of fabrications, falsification of sources, and concealment of information in actual sources that contradicts his allegations. He has been sanctioned for this sort of research misconduct, and I believe is being dismissed from his university because of it.

As soon as Europeans set foot in the ‘New World’, a smallpox epidemic was inevitable. That it happened is not proof of genocide, it is proof that a disease will spread like wildfire in a population that has never been exposed to it.

Furthermore, even Ward Churchill did not suggest that the Canadian government had anything to do with ‘smallpox blankets’.

This is the equivalent of crying wolf in a historical perspective - the more allegations that are made and disproven, the less credibility future allegations have. And, sadly, it only serves to feed the racism of some.

sv
 gerrymac
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 3:23:08 PM

they way the black people are treated in USA, is just the way the natives are treated here!

I have lived in the rural American South, and I have lived all across Canada in both rural and urban communities. That statement is unmitigated bullsh*t. First Nations people in Canada are in no way treated or spoken about even vaguely as negatively as African-Americans are in the United States in _comparable_ communities and social settings. I heard more negative commentary about African-Americans in one WEEK in the rural US than I've heard in my entire adult life about First Nation's individuals in Canada....and I was hanging out with a university educated crowd in the US and in Canada my comparison group is that community AND blue collar workers, alcoholics, truckers, the military, farmers, fishermen, construction workers, etc etc. To my mind, in no way shape or form are the two groups comparable in how they are talked about and/or treated. I am obviously sorry you are treated negatively, at least one could infer that from your statement, and I by no means have any interest in diminishing that, but I have never noted even vague comparability across the two countries.
 semper_vera
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 3:48:31 PM

For one....Beothuk Indians.....Not genocide eh?

When the British government issued a proclamation for their protection, I have a hard time understanding how you could interpret that as the government trying to wipe them out. I would have to say that an order protecting them is about the exact opposite of a policy to destroy them.

The Beothuk died off because:

- they were a small group to begin with
- they were hit hard by starvation
- European disease took a terrible toll on the already small population
- they initially avoided contact with Europeans, but slipped in to settlements at night to steal. This, along with competition for resources, created hostility between both groups. The Europeans, who were afraid of the Beothuk in the first place, became rather callous towards them, while the Beothuk culture of revenge kept the violence going.

Did the settlers kill Beothuk? Yes. Similarly, the Beothuk killed settlers. Yet you don't see me accusing the Beothuk of genocide.

Not only did the government issue the proclamation for their protection, it tried to make contact with the Beothuk to improve relations. And continued to try to do so even when it's representatives were murdered and mutilated.

That's not genocide.

Again, I have said over and over again that there were many wrongs perpetrated against the Natives. Some were deliberate, some were seriously misguided benevolence. But exaggerating the harms done in order to draw more attention to the situation has the effect of convincing those on the other side that Natives don't actually have any legitimate gripes. Concentrate on what actually was done and quite giving ammunition to those who would dismiss native complaints as groundless.

sv
 semper_vera
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 5:18:11 PM
Okay, let's play that game, then. You cite a post on a discussion forum. Well, since I've posted all this stuff on here, it must be true, too.

As for the other site you quoted: http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Newfoundland/beothuk.htm

Nothing on that site suggests genocide. As a matter of fact, the only reason it gives for the final extinction of the Beothuk - in the section you quoted - is "isolation and fear of settlers".

From Wikipedia on the Beothuk:
The Europeans certainly exhibited callous behavior toward the natives, but the Beothuk for their part seem to have had a strong cultural imperative toward revenge that also caused them to carry out apparently pointless attacks.

In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, several Newfoundland governors tried to improve relations, to little positive effect. Apparently, on 21st August, 1765, Sir Hugh Palliser (Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador 1764-1768) traveled to Chateau Bay (later renamed York Harbor) in Labrador to meet a delegation of 500 Inuit and 1,000 Beothuk and made an oral treaty for peace, friendship and trade with them. A map based on one made by James Cook has survived with illustrations of a trading post at Pitts Harbour, an Inuit village inside the Seal Islands, and images of an Inuit longboat and a fleet of kayaks.

Two further attempts to improve relations with the Beothuk were those of naval lieutenants George Cartwright in 1768 and David Buchan in 1811. Cartwright's expedition was commissioned by Gov. Hugh Palliser; he found no Beothuk but brought back important cultural information. Buchan was sent by Gov. John Duckworth; though undertaken with the best of intentions, this expedition ended in violence. Buchan's party encountered several Beothuk near Red Indian Lake. After an initial apparently friendly reception, Buchan left two of his men behind with the Beothuk. The next day, he found them murdered and mutilated, owing to the Beothuk's suspicion of the visitors (according to Shanawdithit's later account). To his credit, Buchan did not attempt to take revenge and even tried to make further contact.

This is indicative of a government trying to find a way to leave in peace with the Beothuk, not exterminate them.

From Wikipedia on genocide:
Tragically, their "genocide" is unique in the sense that it appears to have been a drawn out and unintentional exercise founded in mutual distrust and ignorance. It was not a modern "genocide" in the sense there was no intention or even conscious effort to drive them to extinction.

Even this politically-correct inclusion of the Beothuk in genocide points out its uniqueness, the fact that it was not deliberate, and that it is not what we consider genocide today.

from http://www.heritage.nf.ca/aboriginal/beo_hist.html
Sadly, Shanawdithit died in St. John's in June of 1829. Her death probably marked the end of her people, and as such was a tragedy of terrible proportions. It is important to remember, however, that the demise of the Beothuks was not the result of "500 years of genocide" as some writers have claimed. Rather, it was the result of a complex mix of factors involving the island's unique ecology, history, and economy. The fact that there is no simple explanation for the extinction of the Beothuks in no way diminishes their loss and that of humanity's.

I think that sums it up fairly well.

Contrary to the claims on this thread, there was no deliberate attempt by the government to eliminate the Beothuk.

But way to draw attention away from the real issues facing Natives today - like the damage done by the residential schools, or the racism that they continue to face (which is, after all, the point of this whole thread).

sv
 BikerBiker53
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 6:56:40 PM
Racism towards natives, is as alive today, as it has been since the begining of time,...

it is human nature for one class of people to think they are superiour to another, and enslave them to do their bidding,..or to do what one would say as,... ethnic cleansing.

Racism exist, even within the same culture, a case of the have, and have nots.

Sad, but true.

When,..and if,...we all come to the same conclusion,...and agree that were all human, and make mistakes,...and are willing to admit that were sometimes wrong in our thinking,...

Then maybe,..we can be more accecpting of one another, and tear down the wall of racism.

I think,...even if we were all one color,...lets say Purple, ( I like Purple),.....ok,...were all Purple,...there will still be racial devide, in our minds, and actions,....

It will be,....."Hey,...Im from the EastSide of the railroad tracks,....your from the Westside of the railroad tracks",....and both will think their the better.

I was raised in a family, that found disgrace in having Native American heritage in our blood line,...it was never talked about,....the people were too proud of their white blood line,...and too ashamed of their red blood line to admit it.

Nobody,...and I mean Nobody,...would admit to being part Native American,...while I was growing up.

Now,...its the cool thing to do,...and bragg about.

I had one native talk to me,...and call me a "Wanna-Be",....I asked him,....."Wheres the shame in that ?"

I go to a gathering,...a Pow Wow,...and see all these "White" people pretending to be Indian.

I cant knock them, but in a way I am,....maybe there just like me,...the only difference is,...they just decided to come out of the closet.

Yes,...racism still exist,...and I think it will continue, cause there will always be someone,...some race of people,..that think their better than anyone else.
 Raveninns
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 7:11:55 PM
^^^^ Right on.....

lol, hey I'm the purple Indian trying to buy a can of lysol to clean my mansion on the rez....

What? you're thinking to charge me taxes?

Don't you know I'm a purple Indian? Which of course is just plain better than being a purple person. I read that in a book. ....I heard book learnin was a good thing....let me access all that free edumacation......

Wouldn't that be a riot? Would Natives try oneupmanship? I don't know........

LOL, crack me up. I loved your post. Being an Indian and subsequent attitudes has a lot to do with the colour of my skin, yes. Being Indian is also much more than the colour of my skin. If we started again with an even playing field, I'd say no. Our forefathers understood that we ALL belong to the Mother.

Cheers, Raven
 yna6
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/1/2007 7:45:19 PM
"Cool" to be native? LOL! Gotta hand it to you....you crack me up!

The only reason native sare the fastest growing minority is because of all those "whities" finding the "native heritage"....and collecting the goodies offered for being one of the chosen people. Almost makes me want to get my status card, while ignoring the other 3 quarters of my "roots". Then again...wouldn't want to be carded every time I go pick up cleaning solutions, or spray cans of stuff!

Nobody says life is easy....we can all tell horror stories about what happened to who, way back when....let's try talking about today...and tomorrow.

Today...rights are violated left right and center...if you are white...forget it....you get to pay to have your rights enforced. Many of us don't get the chance to "ask the band" (community) for funds for schooling. Can I turn to my community and say "Hey...I need funding for school....gimme!" There is NO debate...they toss me out of the town coucil meeting on my ass and carry on....they don't DO things like fund higher education. that is a "native thing". Can I approach my gov't? sure....and get told "Most programs are for minorities and women, single parents...we'll see if we can't fit you in somewhere...but don't hold your breath..." Gee...don't bust your ass helping out there or nothing....(as if they'd do that anyways, fo anyone....we ALL need gov't jobs with the perks and bennies they get! Woo-hoo!)

No...nobody is any better than anyone else....and must be treated equally. Forget "status"...forget race, colour, religion....get back to building a society that actually looks after people, and tries to keep stress at a minimum for its populance.
 Raveninns
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 7:56:20 PM
quelle surprise, yna is here.

White folks want to be Native due to the monetary benefits?

You've got to be kidding. Even we can't access them.
 yna6
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/1/2007 8:06:50 PM
LOL@ Raven.....guess you are not playing the "native game", as I've seen so many playing. You got to learn to play to get the goodies....until you do, you'll complain till you are blue in the face! (maybe purple...but I'd want a picture to see that!)

I know a lot of "staus" people, who actually DO pay income tax, etc...but...when buying, say, a new car...no tax. Cheap gas, if they buy it on the reserve...cause they are "status". They own their own homes...off reserve....hold down jobs and are making a few extra bucks by playing the "native card".

Too bad Raven....I see these things....you blind yourself to them. Hope you open your eyes someday. Go take a look at the stats....birthrates for natives isn't skyrocketing.....but "new members" are always joining. It isn't as if they are "regaining" their status....how many people out there know of the "blonde, blue-eyed" staus card carrying person? A lot of them!

the goodies are there for you...IF you take advantage of them...many do.
 Aham Prema
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/1/2007 8:14:44 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just happened across this post and felt I would just add my perspective which I feel is based in a deeper truth but my perspective just the same.

Racism for me is just another division created by our minds. It is presently where we as a whole human collective consciousness are presently operating from. This is expressed in how most of us interact with this living biosphere, through polluting it in all its forms, from judgment (mental garbage) to toxic waste, to lies and deceit. Everything is alive and this has been forgotten in most cultures and we all come from an aboriginal background. We are all meant to be caretakers of this planet and therefor the land is all of ours to respect but the key is to love and respect it and all its inhabitants. The only change that will truly alter our experience is awareness, awakening to the truth of who we are, the truth that we are not separate. We can all awaken to how powerful we truly are and drop our false victim stories. We have all been judged in one way or another in our lives and judged others, at least I have and I would love to hear from anyone that hasn't, not that you don't exist but I would be happy to take you as my teacher, if this is the case.

So for me racism is just a piece of the bigger picture of where we presently are and we can all find someway to feel that we got the short end of the stick or we can choose to see and experience life the way we wish to by putting our attention on what we wish to experience and draw that into our life through the law of attraction. We are all created in gods/spirits image and creators of our experience, so it is up to us no one is going to save us. We can stick to our old identities and continue to experience that or have fun on this planet together. We all have free will, your choice. I know which one I would rather have and see in my life, what about you?

Aloha Pono (love and everything is in perfect harmony)
 yna6
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/2/2007 2:24:29 PM
A guy I know buys gas on reserve at about 63 cents a liter, elsewhere it is around 85-90 cents...BIG savings. Also, anything can be bought off reserve and no tax paid on it, if said article is going to be used on reserve....legally. Many get the tax off because the stores don't want a scene, and just give it to card carrying natives, no matter where they live. On big ticket items, this can really add up.

As I said before...a lot "play the game", and really benefit off it...others do not...
 BikerBiker53
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2007 8:20:08 AM
yna6 on 3/2/2007 319 AM
: aboriginal racism....still happening today?
: "Cool" to be native? LOL! Gotta hand it to you....you crack me up!

Im sure you understand what I mean,....its cool for the "White" people to pretend to be "Native",....people who have never been on a rez in their life,...people who have never seen the poverty the real natives endure here at places like "Pine Ridge", where the income level is the lowest in the US.

When my daughter asked me, if we were part Indian,...I told her to go ask her Grandmother,...just like I had to.

The I took her on a Native Road Trip,...RoseBud, Wounded Knee, Pine Ridge, Red Clouds Indian School,..and of course up the hill to visit Red Clouds grave, then on to the Crazy Horse Memeorial,...and Mt Rushmore (I was very Dissapointed),..then onto Mesa Verde, Four Corners,..and ending up at the Grand Canyon, 2am, Thanksgiving morning, under a beautiful full moon, and clear skys,...yes it was freezing, but I got my daughter to walk the canyon rim with me, the sight was spiritual.

I have told my daughter about how our Native Heritage, was hidden, and lost, because people were ashamed to be part native,...my Grandmother was a very accecpting woman,..and when I asked her about being native, she told me not to worry, cause there was room enough for all of us.

But when I see todays society I wonder,..when will we all understand ?

No...nobody is any better than anyone else....and must be treated equally. Forget "status"...forget race, colour, religion....get back to building a society that actually looks after people, and tries to keep stress at a minimum for its populance.
 ASB
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/11/2007 3:22:40 PM

Ok ....

I was in a store recently and I bought a can of lysol I swear to god the woman at the counter asked me what it was for? I simply said to sanatize my home.. she looked at me cross eyed and asked if I was a indian were her exact words I replied yes of course why ?then she goes on to say that her manager has asked her to ask any indian who buys aresol products what the use of it is? I was like WTF? she said they have sniffing tendencies I was PISSED beyond belief how can people be so god darn hyprocritical in this day and age ? and still sleep at night? I don't even look native I'm metis.

I know most people still believe that all aboriginals are on wel fare and do drugs but you know what thats not all of us. every race has its share of idoits my question is this.. when will it stop? if ever? have you ever had this happen ? you don't have to be aboriginal to reply I would just like others opinons.

Wow, what a b*tch. Did you say anything back to her? I would have. As you said yourself. Every race has its share of idiots. And she just made HERS look bad. Oh well, all the power to ya for not throwing the bottle at her head :) I don't think the racism will ever stop. I also think that if your parents are racist at all, you will be too (to an extent). Deep down. Not full blown, but a bit. There may come a time when someone says something to you, and you think of something your parent once said. I have friends like that. Heck, I've had some of my friends parents not like me in the past because I wasn't their culture. Oh well. And if they had tried to get to know me, they would have know I was being a great influence of their precious kid instead of telling them to go out and throw their lives away. People see what they want to see and that's that. Some of the nicest people I know look like the biggest jerks and some of the biggest jerks I know look like they deserve a trophy for all around best person.

Just know that if you know you are a good person, that's all that matters because your greatest fans are your enemies :)
 yugmde
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/11/2007 7:28:09 PM
That was the hardest thing I have ever had to read. Cripes, Go to school please. Maybe the people who reacted to you poorly in the past did so because of your obvious ignorance. Not because of being native? I understand you have some issues and valid ones at that but, They would be better understood if you could air them in a more understandable Language?
 Dannyboy64
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2007 1:57:27 AM
Hmmm, there are GOOD reasons for the stores acting these ways, but it should be done in a more sensitive manner.

In Lethbridge there was a convenience store on 3rd Avenue that was busted for selling alcohol without a liscence because a high percentage of their sales was Lysol.

A friend of mine worked at a Lethbridge supermarket and was deeply offended because management knew what the stuff was being used for, laughted about it and implemented no controls over it's improper use.

I was concerned when a clerk sold Lysterine to a scraggly looking person who was already drunk. It doesn't matter what race he was, sometimes it is obvious what it is being (mis)used for.

There was a guy from Coaldale who bought a case of mouthwash and took it to parties. He was of a white european ethnicity 'famous for being cheap.'

A man buying Lysol is perhaps a little suspicious - that is just not something we clean with. No super duper chemicals that nuke the caked on dirt. In your case it was stupid for the store to question, but retail people often are not experts in everything.

If these stores can prevent one person from drinking that stuff they deserve our sympathy and support.

If the vast majority of the people using these substances improperly are Aboriginals, we should work within our community to prevent it. People don't form negative stereotypes based on myths, but on personal experience. As aboriginals we ought to pressure those who enforce the stereotypes, not the poor whiteys who have to deal with the problems.

If we keep our noses clean, the problem of racism will be greatly reduced.

Dannyboy64
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2007 7:44:30 PM
One of my friend used the term Prairie N**ger once. It was because a common friend had been knifed to death by a group of aboriginal thugs.

I like the approach taken by Jarome Iginla in his GQ interview. He is the anti-Sharpton and has created the best stereotype of an Afro Canadian.

Again, we are the ones who can best change what the public thinks of us by our actions. People in my home community respected the Japenese because they are the most respectable and industrious people around. We could learn a thing or two from them.
 KarmaTiger
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2007 8:49:41 AM
^^ which is a bit of a media-hyped stereotype in and of itself.

As to aboriginal racism, I've seen many sides of it.

I lived on a reserve off the coast of Northern BC and was constantly reminded by my native peers of how inferior I was because I'm half white (other half is chinese, BTW, but with my peaked eyebrows and a slight epicanthal fold they presumed the other half was Salish indian).

I've seen friends of mine - Cree, Dene, and Blackfoot - hassled by the cops for things that cops wouldn't look twice at a white person for.

I've seen thriving, successful bands in BC where they earn millions per year not through casinos, but by leasing out land to shopping malls, or selling Cowichan sweaters or bent-wood boxes over the internet for hundreds or even thousands of dollars per piece. And the band members are happy, confident, self-assured people living alongside whites harmoniously, but with a unique and colourful culture of their own.

I've seen corrupt bands where the chief and his family absorb the provincial and federal funds the band receives, while alcoholism and domestic violence rip through the poverty-stricken reserve... and whites blame the situation on the 'indian culture'.

And recently, when a native teen was convicted of hitting a gas station attendant with his car and dragging him to death, the court reduced the driver's sentance to 7 years including time served awaiting trial for, among other thing, his "aboriginal status". Now, the other factors (abused as a child, etc.) could be argued as a factor in why he didn't stop even as he left a bloody trail of his victim's flesh for blocks, and surely heard his victims pleas when he stopped at intersections... But racial status reducing a sentance? That has some very dangerous ramifications.
 JordanMardan
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2007 11:27:09 PM
Has anyone ever seen the movie "Quigley Down Under," which stars Tom Selleck?

Selleck's character was hired by a white Australian to help kill off Aboriginals, but once "Selleck" finds out what he's been hired to do....he ends up killing his employer.

Scenes in the movie include the Aboriginals being driven over cliffs by the whites to get rid of them.
How accurate is this to what actually happened during the genocide?

Very horrifying.
 KarmaTiger
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2007 4:06:43 AM

Karma; I had a boyfriend who is half Haida- most people thought he was Japanese. He was even asked by some Japanese students where he learned such good english People definately make quick assumptions; the old 'judge a book by its cover' thing. People who get angry about racism when it comes to other races (other minorities) don't think twice when when it happens to natives; they even do it themselves. Why is it that its so accepted??

Interestingly enough, the reserve I lived on was a Kwaquitl one. There were many wondwrful people on that reserve, people who didn't judge by colour or creed. But a few were as racist towards Haida - or moreso - than they were towards whites.
 yna6
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/8/2007 8:52:31 AM
Hmmm....some businesses are looking for compensation for lost revenues because of illegal road blocks. The courts routinly award them to other victims, so I can see it coming. Sometimes it is the instigator that pays., the gov't garnisheeing wages at 50% until it is paid up. Perhaps the gov't could "garnish" tribal and welfare payments until the victim are compensated. This could go a long ways towards making others think twice before shutting down a major road.

Anyhow's....I figure that some "status" natives didn't share the wealth when they sold lands to a developer, and PO'ed the rest of the people. It is an "in-house" affair, that should never have affected the developer.

Hmmm....I could well be off base on that one too....ah well....
 NO_VNE
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/12/2007 9:09:46 PM
I can't believe this thread. I've been around more than a few abos and it seems to me they bring about 150% of their troubles on themselves!I've also seen a boong about 35 years of age soak a rag with gas and give it to a TODDLER to pacify it! I can understand why.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > aboriginal racism....still happening today?