Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hobbes26
Msg: 55
does someone's job really matter?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
people inside are very similar, a few pints of of blood, heartt lungs, liver, pancreas...all pretty standard. i guess some dont have their appendix but seems like an odd system of basis of a relationship...

I would think ambition is something "inside" your hopes and dreams are all tied typically somewhat to what you do. Even those whose main ambition is not work related, the career is related.

A job is only important to the degree people enjoy it. Their view on their living situation which does include their career. In the short term there is only the their perspective that matters. But if someone is planning on living cheque to cheque their entire life working minimal jobs, or always on welfare. odds are that if i want us to do any travelling it means i have to take on additional work. I plan on travelling alot all my life. I bust my ass so i can have that luxury. So i guess long term its work ethic and ambition. Some people will always make more and that does not matter.

I think that in the long term if they sit around eating cheezy poofs while i have to be working 80+ hrs a week. That is not to say if i end up with kids and one of us stays home: cause i know that is alot of work. I am saying that if one person is putting in all the effort while the other lounges....odds are it aint gonna work. If someone has no money nor drive and wants to sit around is with someone who is a "go getter" and wants to travel/do things you have a potential conflict.
I believe your job should not dictate your life and that what you do does not control who you are but to say there is no correlation is assanine
 spudotoole
Msg: 57
does someone's job really matter?
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:34:30 PM
what about some of the issues that people with varying disabilities have to deal with. I'm not alone when I say that I can have all the drive, and the best ideas in the world. But for some,(no names mentioned) things that come up to no fault of their own, end gets in the way of their final go of having that almighty job. And unfortunitley there are way to many men and women out there that look at the lack of things that he/she may not have like: Job, the perfect body,and last but not least, no physical disability.

Its not just the lack of a job that may not get you anywhere, there are some many others. And in the end, I don't feel that as long as I or we feel like we are doing the best we can with what we/I got, and/or I feel good about myself, and what I'm doing that in the end is going to get us that specail someone,............ anyone. Wether you agree or not, we as a whole want and expect way too much from the other person.

What happend to the good old days, where what you did and could do WAS good enough!
 andiedandie
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:55:20 PM
Spud!! I love your style!!

And unfortunitley there are way to many men and women out there that look at the lack of things that he/she may not have like: Job, the perfect body,and last but not least, no physical disability.

Spud and I have chatted a little about people with disabilites...but let me throw this into the pot too...in part because it also applies to me...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I am now disabled with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.... here's the catch though... you look at me... and I look quite normal... some would even say healthy!! BUT...REMEMBER EVERYONE...LOOKS CAN ALSO BE DECEIVING....AND I MEAN THAT IN EVERY CONTEXT OF THE WAY.... Yes there are people that look normal, healthy etc...but they are milkin whatever system then can.

Don't be so quick to judge, people that suffer from chronic pain illnesses such as mine look normal and healthy
...there could be a lot of people out there in our tiny little fish bowl that suffer from these or other similiar illnesses that do not have visible physcial problems or apparatus to identify them as disabled...but we are disabled. A lot of you may know someone that is not working... and perhaps they are not comfortable sharing with you that they do have physical limitaions and/or are illnesses... I can share from my past experience that this is very difficult to accept once you have worked...and can no longer... PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY SAY THEY ARE NOT WORKING!!!.... like I said before you might not now their whole story...and given time if your a good friend/partner/lover....whatever relationship... with love and support...they will finally feel comfortable in sharing their story with you...and hopefully others!!
 spudotoole
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:34:54 PM
I think that if there was more of the above from the oposite sex, there just may be many more success stories here in POF land.
 Captain Sargasmo
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:43:27 PM
ok...without all the quotes and stuff...let me elaborate...

i don't care if she's a dishwasher or a CEO...makes no difference to me. you are not what you do.

that being said, no...it's not what's inside that counts. it's the whole package for me, but judging someone based on their gig is like judging them for the car they drive. who cares? it's just a material posession, and makes no difference to me in the persons attitude.

sure...i have qualifiers and standards, just like everyone else...but to base attraction on such frivolous things is just silly. it doesn't matter what you have right now, it could all be gone tomorrow, it's who you are.

and for the record...beauty might be skin deep...but ugly goes right to the bone.
 hobbes26
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/9/2006 4:39:47 PM
damnit...what about us hitmen....no one will love us...we have a job, good paying, lots of free time just cause we shoot people does that make us "bad"

woe 's me.....

but seriously PJ does have a point. Even if you are physically/mentally challenged you can make an effort-hell volunteer to help others with similar disabilities. Even if there is no pay there is a huge difference in mentality.
There are many education grants available to those with disabilities. the point of amibition is its a sign of self improvement and to people such as myself (which many people are similar to) you wanting to improve your life is important. Thats why we pay taxes to help the less fortunate improve their lives and so people sitting and leeching when they could be doing something pisses alot of people off.
Moreso with able bodied people when we have construction firms flying people in from alberta to get jobs done there is no reason why any healthy individual can not get a job in construction if they have a lick of work ethic. Trades may be dirty, it may be hard but its a damn good well paying job.

Many of us do not want to end up sitting in a trailer park talking about what we would do if we won the lottery. Take control of your life and do something with it. I guess that is why I find it important to have a job/ambition I have been building my life since i was a child and so if you are not building (does not matter to what end) then we have very little in common.

while this is just my opinion and many others may be different and thats fine...

We have all had things that were challenges along the way, its how we overcome them that matters. I could give you 3000 reasons why i should have failed but only 1 why i suceeded...strength of will
 Captain Sargasmo
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:18:09 PM
i don't know about the Netherlands...but we pay our garbagemen pretty darned good over here.
 andiedandie
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/13/2006 12:23:21 AM
CFS is VERY real for many people and not easy to live with. Trick is to find a happy medium,.. and maybe they can work,... just not regularly enough to support themselves and/or their families gainfully. Family and friends are NOT usually a source of sympathy as CFS is not a "tangible" disablility. IF it doesn't LOOK broken it isn't is how most people see things. If only that were really true.

Thank you whodeltedme for your valuable input!! Glad to hear there are people in this fish bowl that know that CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)...now called ME for short (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) is a very real illness & disability!!

As for you Phatjesus....
B: Milk it for all it's worth so you can use your disability, (or fictitious illness like "chronic fatigue") to get free money and sympathy from friends/family/the government;
You obviously are very ignorant!! I am completely shocked that someone that works with the mentally disabled and I believe is also disabled themselves would be so damn predjudice!! It is appauling that in this time and age there are still so many people like yourself that would be so negative and educated...particularily when they are connected to the disabled community!!

Do your research before you speak with such a hasty tongue!! I do have ME & FM... I have been diagnosed by the top Physcian in Canada, Dr. Bruce Carruthers. He has written the new criteria for diagnosing & treating both conditions of ME & FM. He also travels internationally to educate other doctors on the latest medical research, treatment & management of these chronic pain condtions!!

Phatjesus...humour me.... do the research about the Fibromyalgia & Myalgic Encephalomyelitis!! Visit the Canadian National website.... read Dr. Carruthers Consensus Documents that have been published as medical aids for doctors!! The website is www.mefmaction.net

At the very least you owe yourself the knowledge and wisdom to speak appropriately on these Syndromes so you don't make yourself look like a complete arss!! It is people like you that give disabled people a bad wrap... not to mention....your speaking about someone whom you don't even know is very offensive.
 andiedandie
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/14/2006 12:31:17 AM
cedarone...very eloquently said!!

To those who are unable to function at the levels I can because of any illness I can be empathetic to how they feel because I had to go through it myself. As for the homeless who cannot hold a job because of psychological illness. The system should do more to help them as well. Providing therapists to some of them who want the help should be provided if they are admitting they need the help. Currently you need to be a hazard to yourself or people around you to even be looked at. Medical will fix a broken bone or cut but not a broken mind. Shame on the system for that

There are so many people...that are educated...in so many ways, at so many levels but we all find at one point in our life that the time machine catches up....and eventually...that knowledge that we so carefully aquired, whether it be life experience, institutional education... or just doin the oops..I did it again and better learn from it... they have run their course...considered out of date, not valid or just plain old obsolete!!!

Things change in our lives...that are in our control sometimes...and other times are not.... the unfortunate thing...is we are one of the leading countries when it comes to education...but compared to a lot of European countries... our government barely supports us if at all on re-educating yourself & learning the most current info & life skills to survive.

Caring for these people that at once may of held a very prominent position in our society.... but now are left at the curb...literally because they struggle from mental illnesses & physical, physcological,cognitive and/or learning disabilites. All of these people at one point "lead their lives with meaning and purpose".... they may just need a helping hand to get a fresh start!!

so does a job really matter?.... as I have posted earlier in this thread...my job is to lead my life with meaning and purpose.... if you're not able to work...for whatever reason... maybe your job, and meaning and purpose...is to "lend a helping hand to someone that needs a fresh start" in whatever context that you can help someone make steps at regaining their sense of pride..."to feel like they are still a prominent but more importantly, a valued person in our society"
 maggiekiwi
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2006 3:23:30 PM
So long as they are totally independant, motivated and honest who cares.
 AnalyzerDude
Msg: 102
Posted: 5/4/2006 11:47:42 PM
I have had very good jobs, had lots of stuff and got rid of lots of stuff. But as I remain single I am not at all interested in crap any more. I am as a matter of fact about to quit my job!!!
At one time I owned about a million dollars worth of tools and equipment, had a shop and worked my ass off. But I wont have someone who would dump me because of hard times or anything like that because life is not a bed of roses all the time.
So get bent, get your own job! Its the age of equal rights, the women can support the men now.

I say ALL men should go on STRIKE...NO SEX...just grab your mags and head to the can...
 AnalyzerDude
Msg: 104
Posted: 5/5/2006 7:36:16 AM
Well a few years ago I had everything then gave it all away cause theres not much point in having anything if your single and always have been....
So now I am thinking not much point in having a job either.
Maybe some other poor SOB needs it, he might have a wife and kids.

5 years ago I owned 8 cars and trucks over a mil and was content but single, 6 years ago I had a drunken high and mighty artificial as they came shallow bitoh for a gf. When she pissed me off (a week after she moved in) by destroying my living room and all its contents, I told her to take her phony ass and get out.
After that I didn't give a sh*t, I gave everything away...Over a mil in tools and crap, all my cars and trucks, all my household stuff like tv's and audio equip... And decided to never go out with a hard bodied silicone breasted chik again...lol

Now I have 1 truck, 1 car, HDTV and my computer and soon to have a six pack in the fridge so I can kik back and enjoy my 44 inch wide screen.
The rest of the time I can entertain myself watching all the morons strugle with being loosers...
If your my age and your still single it is a sign that you have defects so get over it and off your high horse!!!
 RyGuy29
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2006 9:24:52 PM
Right you are lainy1 I'm currently in a Government Job,but for how long?
 AnalyzerDude
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/6/2006 8:38:03 AM
I had passion for my job but can't help but think I am tired of working. I have worked my but off since I was a little kid... I bet more than most We had a wood stove upstairs and a wood furnace down, I had to split wood everyday and pack in and stack extra outside in the wood house. I ahd to buck logs and stack them too. At 4:30 every morning the family milk cow had to be milked and the chickens, geese and ducks had to be feed. The horses had to be fed, the cattle had to be tended, hay had to bailed and stacked. buildings had to be maintained, equipment had to be repaired, fences mended....the list goes on...
I haven't stopped working since I was 5 years old...I am tired!!! I need a break
People seem to think the only way to be fit is to be a gym-pansi...And the only quality in a man is his pay check and his posesions...Well bite me! Cause I got rid of everything! I am getting ready to go on a vacation for the next 25 years, unless someone wants me for love.
 RyGuy29
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:19:33 AM
Right you are phatjesus, this does seem to be the norm in Vancouver. Though I'm not sure why.
 carp eh diem
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2006 11:46:12 PM
Honour can be found in most jobs. It is attitude that matters.
 canadianredneck
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/12/2006 12:12:09 AM
I'll say it does. If she doesn't work the streets she's not dirty enough or experienced for me! Kidding.............did I make a point?
 luc1d
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/4/2006 1:56:37 PM
You know over the course of this thread alot of people have made alot of presumptions about the peron quoted in the OP's post.

We have someone who came out and said, in essence "I have what I consider a good job, and would like to be with someone else who does".

This person came out and really did nothing more that say something was important to her and she would like to share her time with someone who feels the same way. And yet, here are her words being posted for all to see, taken out of context and judged as "shallow".

Fact is the person quoted did little more than honestly state something that was important to her.

On PoF you see alot of profiles giving alot of bogus information about what people are interested in. They say they like this or that but because they are saying "I'm looking for someone who likes the outdoors" they aren't judged.
If the girl in the original post had said "I'm looking for someone who is goal oriented" or "career minded" I doubt the accusations of "shallow" would have followed.

But I guess as long as she's saying she likes what *you* like it's all good.

The person in the OP's quote was being honest about what she likes and looks for, how many people out there state they are looking for someone "honest" in thier profiles? Just because you do not share this person's values does not make them shallow in the least.

Alot of people say they are "christian" in thier profiles. I don't agree with their religion, but I'm not going to hop on the forums to assualt thier values and say they are shallow for posting what they are interested in and how they may be missing out on something by not thinking the same way as I do.

Just my two gp.
 bcboy72
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2006 2:10:13 PM
Oh, so now we have to have a job (dirty word by the way) to be on this site?...sheesh..I will never get a date...Wait, I don't need one....hehe, I am going to get her two jobs so I can quit mine...
 hischerrypie
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/4/2006 2:16:14 PM
Ive changed from only dating firemen...

To dating rednecks... teeth optional... !!!
 kidskates
Msg: 123
Posted: 8/4/2006 2:21:27 PM

Wait, I don't need one....hehe, I am going to get her two jobs so I can quit mine...

If ya play your cards right you can get a 6 month paid vacation just like I did!
 canadianredneck
Msg: 124
Posted: 8/4/2006 9:44:46 PM
That's really sad when someone steals your profile! I never posted the last one! Hope they have fun with it! Geesh I can be bad enough on my own thanks!
 NoMoreRegrets
Msg: 125
Posted: 8/7/2006 3:32:57 PM
I say, as long as at least two of the following conditions are met:

-They enjoy what they are doing
-They are looking for something better
-They are going to school so they can find something better
-They shower after work (especially if their job involves chemicals or anything toxic or bad-smelling)...no wait, this one must be met no matter what.
 saskislander
Msg: 127
Posted: 8/7/2006 9:27:58 PM
Like in high school, girls date the guy with the cool car.

Well, if that is their preference, why not.
 shesthe
Msg: 128
Posted: 1/1/2007 9:32:09 PM
An occupation is important. It is the environment that most people spend the vast amount of their waking day in. It flavors them and their non-work environment.... If she feels it is important that he have a 'good job' just like her, I think what she really wants is the environment that comes with being happy and successful in your efforts to make a living.......................It is important to me also. It is a key piece of who he is. Who am I? I am a third generation entreaupeneur - except I cant spell it. lol.
It is what we will talk about when we discuss our day with each other.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >