Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > does someone's job really matter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 myfairmaiden
Msg: 26
does someone's job really matter?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
It's very important to work. I tend to think big; therefore, I like guys who think big. Basically, I am brain looking for my pinky and we will think of ways to rule the world! I don't quite understand men who make minimum wage and think they got it made in the shade and strive for nothing more; however, the man who makes minimum wage and says to himself "I'm gonna own run this place one day or better yet own it" is simply sexy.
 whodeletedme
Msg: 27
does someone's job really matter?
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:00:00 AM

I tell everyone I talk to that I'm in construction, and they instantly think I'm some dim witted oaf on the end of a hammer. I of course was there at one point,

Last I heard anyone working in construction were making some pretty good coin,....trades are where it is at once again. Not so dimwitted IMHO.

I don't know what grocery personnel are making these days but 15 years ago Safeway was paying it's cashiers $20+/hr in Alberta.

Seems as usual people are quickly judging someone on their "job" without knowing the details,... NOT that they are any of their business!!! If I asked someone where they work and they said McDonald's,..... how do you know they don't own or manage that place??

As long as they can support themselves and are happy where they are who are we to judge???
 wollybully1234
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:48:01 AM
For me personally it does not matter, as long as they work and make enough funds to support themselves.

I never thought it would not matter to me until I actualy had convos with ppl that had Jobs I would cringe at "Hey atleast I'm honest" Anyhoe I came to relise alot of them make more money than someones Job I would not cringe upon.

Now I say who cares, atleast your working!
 Crazy_Blonde
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:59:50 AM
Actually Mr. Muscles, you should be grateful that a person posts that, at least you know ahead of time, not to get tangled up with them, they actually did you a favour.

It doesnt really matter what a person's job is, I do not think a person's job defines them as a person, however, a person who doesnt work and has no motivation to work, is of no interest to me either.

Motivations and intentions mean everything to me...I hate to think that people are thought of as "walking wallets", our society is tooo much into "things, possessions", that most have lost the values of what is really important in life....like people and thier feelings.

I dont care if I have any toy's (NO NOT THAT KIND U DIRTY MINDED PEOPLE, LOOOL), when I die, but I do care if I have true friendships with people, and still have the ability and mind to help others less fortunate than me.

To me that is important...

OhShea
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:56:16 AM
It doesn't really matter much to me. As long as they aren't living with their parents, are able to pay their own way and do not need me to be some kind of free taxi service.
 hobbes26
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:02:46 AM
some people get it...some dont

Ones profession has no bearing on their value, ones ambition does. Its what you do for a job its how you think of your job. If you have a crap job fine-whether you see it as transitory and you simply give up and accept a job you are unhappy with is a huge statement.

If you are willing to spend 8 hrs a day in a job you have settled for/unhappily tho...how does one know you are not willing to stay in a relationship cause its convienient. Who wants someone who settles cause you were "good enough." I want someone who thinks i am the moon and stars and vice versa. So as long as you are forward looking and have goals dreams and dont simply settle then it has a bearing on a relationship.

Not to mention profession often has some reflections of the person. Teachers tend to be inclined to be able to work with kids and most have caring hearts. Nurses, care aid workers etc tend to be giving personalities. People associated with construction tend to be big on the concept of building things up. What kinda profession you desire is an aspect of yourself.

perhaps it is better to ask not what job do you have, but rather, what kinda job do you want-how do you plan on getting there?
 Office Girl
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:13:31 AM
and Hobbes token refreshing post of the hour....

what insight
 hobbes26
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:14:48 AM
token or toking?
 spincycle1963
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:19:02 AM
You all must live Vancouver.Where it is perfectly exceptable in to ask a person what they do before you even ask their name.I met a man in a nightclub who told me that he "distributed exotic leather."As I got to know him he told he sold shoes(which is kewl) But in Vancouver you have to fancy.I consider prying into my business rude.Whenever I'm asked what I do....I say,"Whatever I want!!"...If they pry,I say,"I'm a fluffer"...If they push farther,"I say I'm on welfare."(I'm not)But I refuse to answer that question.
 OhShea
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:33:47 AM
There are a couple of men I've met recently that I thought were pretty interesting/hot and I have yet to ask either of them what they do for a living.
 Lainy1
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:40:28 AM
I am leery of anyone who does not work. But what they do is irrelevant, and it is said the average person changes careers every 9 years, so what you are doing now may not be what you will be doing in a few years.
 whodeletedme
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:24:43 PM

perhaps it is better to ask not what job do you have, but rather, what kinda job do you want-how do you plan on getting there?

I am good, financially comfortable, challenged and happy doing what I am and I have never woken up in the morning and say "Ugh I don't want to go to work today" Been at it for over 20 years now,... see no need to change ( always room for continued education within the field though).
 hobbes26
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:39:18 PM
precisely wdm-that is all one needs to know. Youa re happy with it-rock on
 kindheart33
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:45:54 PM
It doesn't matter to me if they have a job or not, just as long as they are trying to do something and not just sitting on a couch happy on welfare. Sometimes people are in between jobs or doing one they don't like just so they can support themselves or they may be going to school to get a better job. The job or amount of money someone makes does not matter to me in the very least. I go for who the person is and their personality. Also I don't care if someone is living back with their parents as long as they have lived on thier own before. Its very expensive to live in a big city and many jobs don't pay enough to allow a person to live by themselves or without roomates. Things happen and sometimes people need a little help to get back on their feet and it shows that a family is caring if they let their kid move back home as long as its temporary. Have a good day all...
 bcboy72
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2006 1:04:31 PM
Whether or not a person has a job to me seems another of those superficial aspects we look at. I don't technically have a job. Look at my tax returns...I am below poverty level. Who cares...if people get along, that is all that matters...being comfortable...another bonus...

I am going to move my cardboard box up the better side of town soon when I can afford a moving company.
 HORSELADY3
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:52:39 PM
The job doesnt matter to me....but he definately has to have one! Sheeeeeeeeesh Im not supporting another man again! Its both imputing into the relationship on all levels in my world!

Oh Shoot guess I better go get a job now! hehehehe
 phatjesus
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2006 3:22:06 PM
If you're raised with an extremely strong work ethic, then it does matter. By extremely strong I'm talking about the people whose job defines them as a person. There are many people I know like this. Most are farmers, teachers, doctors, soldiers, etc. Some people are VERY driven to do what they do. It makes sense that somebody who sees their job as part of who they are would judge another by what they do. To them, what you do IS very much a part of who you are.

Having said that, many of these people, myself included, prefer to date somebody who is less concerned with their career. It makes a good match, and fewer problems, as there will be fewer conflictions between the two careers. Many people these days will throw away a wonderful relationship because their careers take them to separate places. I'm very family oriented, so I don't think there would be room in a good family for both partners to be career driven. I wouldn't mind at all meeting somebody who is interesting and intelligent, but just happy with working 'lesser' jobs, or quitting altogether when it comes to raising kids. It may seem archaic, but it makes sense. I'd also quit my job to raise kids if I met somebody whose career was more important to them than mine is to me.

An interesting job is a big attraction. That's undeniable. Some

hobbes:
Ones profession has no bearing on their value, ones ambition does.
careful here... you said this, but then expanded on the importance of having career ambition, without regognising that there may be other ambitions that do not include a career. I happen to know some very interesting and intelligent waitresses who have absolutely NO ambition to do anything other than travel, waitress, and one day quit to raise a family. They may take exception to your post.

Not to mention profession often has some reflections of the person. Teachers tend to be inclined to be able to work with kids and most have caring hearts. Nurses, care aid workers etc tend to be giving personalities. People associated with construction tend to be big on the concept of building things up. What kinda profession you desire is an aspect of yourself.

agreed 100%. You forgot a few... Salespeople tend to be good liars and are often alcoholics, Actresses are simply nuts (if they're not in a soap opera, they'll make their life one), teachers may have caring hearts, but they're OBVIOUSLY a bunch of whiney, greedy, lazy pricks, and lawyers, don't get me started!!

from the op:
That's extremely bogus, and terribly shallow... If the person is hot,... just go for it.

Um... something doesn't compute here...
 gotu
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/8/2006 3:27:55 PM
I want the person I am with to love what they do - I love what I do - it makes me happy to get up every morning. I do however think that a person should be self sufficient.

SO if what makes you happy is going to a law firm or cutting old peoples hair or mowing lawns or conducting an orchestra or taking pictures of dog poo - who cares - do what you love - make it pay your bills.
 sonma_17
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:50:04 PM
mrmuscles i agree with ya, A job is just a job it has no bearing on the person you are. I'm a firm believer in if you don't like your job and what you do then find something your happy doing. It will help in the long run thats for sure.
 phatjesus
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:57:54 PM
if you really believe this:

A job is just a job it has no bearing on the person you are.

then how can you be a firm believer that:

if you don't like your job and what you do then find something your happy doing. It will help in the long run thats for sure.

Seems the latter would suggest that a job isn't just a job, but rather something that can affect your life and happiness. Your happiness deeply affects your personality, therefore, it would seem that a job DOES have a bearing on the person you are.
 hobbes26
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:11:27 PM
bingo!!!

kinda like people who hate their coworkers. Odds are you spend more time with your coworkers than your loved ones-keep a professional relationship at all times. 8 hrs of stress a day will shorten your life drastically. Being stressed and unhappy has a huge bearing on your health and your outlook on others.

How you carry workstress is also huge. I walk out of my office and clear my head by the time i get home anything i was stressing about at work is gone. Mainly cause i love what i do and so the stresses boil off very fast. However, i have seen first hand the effects of people that carry work stress home; they bottle up their emotions so they can keep their job and then their family bears the brunt of their wrath. Once again how career/ perspective on career affects your personal life.

You have a point PJ about my statement on ambition. Yes some have ambitions that are not related to career but even there they want careers supporting their ambitions.
Ex- a waitress who is happy cause it allows her to travel. Has ambition towards her job because it provides a means. Someone who sits at home ****ing about how they are stuck being a waitress and will never get anywhere. Same job completely different people-the prior has ambition to accomplish their job as a means to getting to travel. So ambition to career is still tied in, just not the ultimate goal
 phatjesus
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:18:17 PM
To paraphrase many of the comments in here: "a job doesn't matter. I don't judge somebody based on their career".

It reminds me of a girl who once said to me "I don't judge people based on what they do or say. I judge them based on who they are inside!!!"

HA! makes me roll my eyes and laugh.
 TBHAH
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:48:42 PM
I like to think my works important. But its not who I am its just what I do 80 hours a week.
 Captain Sargasmo
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:57:04 PM

HA! makes me roll my eyes and laugh.

just because you're shallow and bitter doesn't mean the rest of the world is.
 vancouverite
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:53:25 PM
^^Ha ha, well said.
The whole idea of love at first sight is my gist in this thread. Why kill it with materialism?
A feeling shouldn't have to compute. Feelings are instinctual, emotional, and even spiritual.
I make very good wages, and I have ambition. Do I need to match up? NO I just want to be loved. All good things come from love. That's what I have, and I'm loving it!
Hehe, hey, why match up? Maybe I can marry an heiress... Anyway, to reiterate, calculating one's potential love, based on an algorythm of money, status, and whatever notions of social climbing, must create a huge barrier to actual happiness.
Yeah, if the person is hot, just go for it!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > does someone's job really matter?