Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > would you ever date someone who has an std?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hartmcgin
Msg: 26
would you ever date someone who has an std?Page 2 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Hey Rawal - Don't mix HepC with STD, HepC is a blood disease. It's only transmitted through blood.
 thelowlyone
Msg: 27
view profile
History
would you ever date someone who has an std?
Posted: 3/15/2006 11:24:04 AM
The really great thing about this question and the answer I am goning to provide, is 95% of you are clueless on this subject, and 75% of you have an STD and don't even know it. Did you know that ghonerria only takes 3-5 days to show up in your system. It is one of the most common STD out there, and it can be cured so successfully that you cannot pass it on to others, in the same respect genital warts, can lye dormant in your system your whole life you may never have an outbreak and still pass it on to your partners. So before you judge to quickly and decisively, remember to do your homework.
 1blondenblue
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/15/2006 11:39:58 AM
I WAS TOLD BY A FRIEND THAT WORKS AT A CLINIC THAT 65-70 PERCENT OF PEOPLE HAVE GENITAL HERPES...THATS JUST THE ONES THAT HAVE BEEN TESTED..LOTS OF PEOPLE CARRY IT AND DONT KNOW THEY HAVE IT....IT'S QUITE THE NORM OR THEY WOULDNT HAVE SO MANY COMMERCIALS ON T.V. FOR TREATMENT...JUST BE CAREFUL..NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE TOLD...USE CONDOMS...THERES TOO MANY REASONS OUT THERE TO USE CONDOMS...BE SAFE!
 juggernaut72
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2006 11:55:02 AM
I am battling with this scenario now... a woman that I met on another site told me that ahe has HPV and Herpes on our second date. It is a hard decision but I am not sure that I can be intimate with someone that I KNOW has STDs. I keep thinking that there would be some fear in the back of my head all the time that would put a damper on the fun...

This is not the only thing that is keeping me from wanting a romantic relationship with her but definitely a heavy one.
 lakelandsm
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:06 PM
not knowingly!
 coy
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:14:14 PM
Okay, so I am genuinely allergic to latex. I can wear latex gloves but if I touch any mucus membrane with latex I have a reaction. I have also NEVER had sex without a condom. You just have to know yourself and your body...any girl who pushes you to leave the condom off has issues too big to deal with. In an attempt to stay on topic: I would never have sex with someone if I knew they had an STD, STI, whatever. I haven't taken so many precautions with my body to risk my health for someone who doesn't care about their own.
Oh, and to thelowlyone, those stats haven't been proven. Any medical information you seek on this topic comes with the disclaimer that there is no way to tell if those STDs lye dormant in your system because there is no possible way to tell if people are being honest about their sex habits. But thanks for insulting all of us, we appreciate it.
 sweetie01
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:34:00 PM
I agree we should all be safe and yes majority of the population do have an std when I went tested after finding out my ex cheated it came back positive for herpes simplex 1 but the doctor told me that most people have it it's cold sores and canker sores in case someone wasn't aware what it is I ws tested negative for everything else the bottom line is to be safe at all times.
 GrabLifeByTheHorns
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:47:52 PM
Ummm I'm gonna go with a NOOOOO on this one! I just couldn't do it....
 mystlw
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2006 2:04:19 PM

Yeah, that old "I'm allergic to latex" argument gets a lot of traction from some women, too, believe it or not.

This is a little unfair. Latex sensitivity is a growing problem, and as latex is being used in a growing number of products the number of people showing signs of sensitivity to it is increasing.
My allergy to latex is dermatological, and I had to eventually leave a job in the medical field because of it. OSHA estimates that 8% - 12% of those in the medical field alone are latex sensitive. Assuming that those numbers are roughly representative of the population in general, about 10% of women truly cannot use a latex condom.

Instead of assuming that women have some ulterior motive for their latex allergy "argument", why not carry polyurethane condoms?
 verybubbley
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/19/2006 6:45:54 PM
My answer...NO WAY!!!.
 miami77
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:42:01 PM
Hell freakin no
 gen76
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:53:02 AM
If a person male or female frowns at using a condom.....think about this.... How many other people have they been with without one. People who try to get out of using condoms with you I am sure got out of it with other people. Now please don't bash me I am not saying that you can not contract a STD or STI with the use of a condom. What I am however saying is you are increasing your chances. Therefore someone who practices un~safe sex are probably more likely to have an infection or disease.

I worked in the health field for several years. I have no problem befriending someone that knowingly has a STD. I know the precautions to take to keep from contracting it from them. The only way I would have anything other than a friendship with them is if we were abstinent. ( I am not ready for that just yet..LOL)

I have seen a few online dating sites that are for people to meet other people with STD's. I thought this was pretty neat. I mean nobody wants to be alone in this world. This way people with the same problems can get together with one another.
 crazycurlz
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/5/2006 12:04:35 PM
consider the odds...many of us probably have already. plenty of STI's are cureable or treatable and only a couple are fatal.

are you all really saying that if someone had one of the common STI's which can be cured following antibiotic treatment or cryotherapy that you wouldn't "date" them? sure avoid sex during treatment, but dating shouldn't be an issue.

of course if someone had something fatal like hepatitis B or C, or was HIV positive, or was infected with something incurable like genital herpes...then there's reason to be concerned. it is possible to practise safer sex when one partner is positive and another is negative, but whether you are willing to risk infection depends on whether your feelings for the other person are based on like, lust, or love.
 privatenites
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:40:32 PM
I'm gonna have to go with "thelowlyone" on this and wish more would do their homework

There has been much discussion on this topic thru many different threads

Many, many, many people are running the single and coupled streets with STD's that have been lying dormant in their body for years - hence they are unaware and think they are 'clean'

Condoms are not a foolproof method either - not only do they break but I've read that HPV can get thru the pores in a condom even while in tact

Then - there's just the plain old exchange of bodily fluids - something as simple as kissing

come on everyone - start reading and stop speculating on the issues at hand - stats are, 3 out of every 4 people are infected with SOMETHING - knowingly or unknowingly

Damn shame what the viral epidemic has done to sex - makes me wanna join the freaking convent
 the finer things
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:45:55 PM
why not?i'm gonna go against the odds on what everyone said on this thread and say yes i would,of course not with someone who has aids,hiv,syfuccliss(however you spell it).i would chance it with someone who has herpes based on the fact they aren't on a breakout.but if decline on possible partners who have std we'd be passing up on some really nice people who can be part of your life i know from first hand i went out with a woman who had a std but not a serious one..
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:47:06 PM
privatenites- Good post!.

crazycurlz-I think the operative word here is "has".

I'm not going to knowingly have sex with someone that I know HAS an std.

I would consider it if I knew they HAD one & gotten treatment.

(but only those with a cure...sorry)

molonel-[yeah..that old allergic to latex argument]

I am one of those women,no need for argument,just an allergy...
that's what polyurethane ones are for!
 Femm14
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:10 PM
i definitely wouldn't date someone who has an std..just, no couldn't happen..condoms aren't 100% either! and i don't like condoms but I won't have sex unprotected until the relationship turns serious, and even then I worry about pregnancy - just cuz Ima worry-wart :D
 Femm14
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:50:08 PM
65-70 :|:|:| I'm scared :|:|:| And I've been tested n am clean:|:|:|
 AnonymousMe
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:52:03 PM
Kind of a funny thread, I mean who is going to sleep with someone with an STD? Furthermore who is going to ADMIT that they would sleep with someone who had an STD on a dating site?

There is one STD that I am sure many of you would or possibly even have slept with, and that's Chlamydia. I've had friends that caught that and they are open about it, the one I am thinking of always has the hottest girlfriends, I mean smoking hot. He's had the Clap.

Anyways, STDs are a reality of life if you are going to date. You never know where your partner has been, or worse where their FORMER partners have been.
 AnonymousMe
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:02:28 PM
I've just been reading some more of this thread and do you know something else? I've slept with a lot of women *yikes*, (I'm in the top league of my friends for numbers) and I have NEVER met a women that asked me to NOT wear a condom. I think women may prefer to have it off, but they just leave it for the guy to decide.

I'm just shocked at some of the replies here... has any guy here ever had a woman tell him to NOT wear the condom? Maybe my perspective is skewed because I am still only 30, maybe things change when you're dating older ladies, I don't know.
 the finer things
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:05:18 PM
well i chanced it because i trusted her anonymousme but i know what you are saying and won't argue your point but i'm swiiming against the currents on this one as where the majority won't even sleep with someone who has std but i wouldn't rule it out because they can't be obsolete to the rest of society because of their misfortune
 privatenites
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:31:08 PM
To further complicate the whole issue and reinforce my previous post – here’s a couple quotes off the wonderful world wide web

“Transmission of HPV through routes other than sexual is definitely possible. One may be exposed by something as innocent as shaking hands with someone as proven in Sexually Transmitted Infections”

“Chlamydia – 1st time 25% chance of not having a child (sterility) – 2nd time 50% chance – 3rd time – virtually impossible to ever get pregnant”

“Having sex with someone ‘older’ is no guarantee of “disease free” – the STD epidemic is raging through all age groups”

“Discontinuing wearing a condom once your in a ‘serious’ relationship – is like playing Russian roulette – STD’s can lie dormant, undetected and the carrier have no symptoms”

“Over 80% of young women in screening studies have tested positive for HPV at some time, so infection is very common. Most people exposed to the virus never know they have it. The virus may remain latent for many years without causing any symptoms.

Having had multiple sex partners seems to be the biggest contributing factor to the madness

Bottom line – there is none – hope for a cure to some of this shit and hope and pray you don’t turn out to be on the receiving end of “hell NO I wouldn’t date someone with an STD”
 Strider886
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:55:45 PM
It happen's, half the time its because people think they may have something but they are too embarrassed to get it checked. They then don't tell their next partner.

Do the responsible adult thing, get yourself checked EVERY 6 months, regardless of who you've been with and for how long. You owe it to yourself and to your lover.

Ignorance is the reason that STDs and STI's still have a grip on our modern society.
 dorkfully geekalicious
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/5/2006 8:55:03 PM

“Transmission of HPV through routes other than sexual is definitely possible. One may be exposed by something as innocent as shaking hands with someone as proven in Sexually Transmitted Infections”

You can NOT get HPV from shaking hands with someone unless that have the warts on their hands, which is not likely seeing as they only grow in warm, moist places. Nice try though.
 spice it up girl
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/5/2006 9:52:13 PM
I think it's hard to ask people that question. How many people would even know? You asked "would you ever date someone who has an STD?" What is the likelyhood that someone your going on a date with would blurt that out..."so is Mexican O.K? should we take my car? BTW...I have herpes" It's not going to happen like that. Also, like a lot of the guys have said so far..there are STD's out there that are cureable and can be treated. So what if a girl/guy had the Clap a few years back? So they treated it. What's the problem? I agree that anything fatal should be discussed e.g. AIDS, HIV, Hep C e.t.c.. but at an appropriate time. I think it's hard enough for the people living and coping with these diseases to not have to broadcast it everytime they meet someone new. I'm not saying they should hide it ~ there is nothing to be ashamed of ~ but I don't think it's the first thing you tell someone. Especially if their just saying "hi". Dating and relationships are two different things. Also, take into account the fact that you are on a dating site. With all the thousands of people on here what do you honestly think the chances of EVERYONE being disease free are? Just a thought.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > would you ever date someone who has an std?