Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > would you ever date someone who has an std?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sweet-mary
Msg: 51
would you ever date someone who has an std?Page 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
no i wouldnt date someone with a std
but the worst is when you are married and your****ead hubby goes out and comes back and gives you one

then its bobit time during oral,
just chomp down hard lol

mind you i dont have any STD's, it was curable with lotion lol
 privatenites
Msg: 52
would you ever date someone who has an std?
Posted: 4/6/2006 12:13:28 AM
@*jenni*

Nice try? I wasn't "trying" for anything - that quote came from a medical research article affectionately entitled:

"Sexually Transmitted Infections 1999 Oct;75(5):317-9"

-Transmission of HPV through routes other than sexual is definitely possible. One may be exposed by something as innocent as shaking hands with someone as proven in 'Sexually Transmitted Infections'-

Detection of human papillomavirus DNA on the fingers of patients with genital warts. Sonnex C, Strauss S, Gray JJ, Department of GU Medicine, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, England: “14 men and eight women with genital warts had cytobrush samples taken from genital lesions, finger tips, and tips of finger nails. Samples were examined for the presence of HPV DNA by the polymerase chain reaction.

HPV DNA was detected in all female genital samples and in 13/14 male genital samples. HPV DNA was detected in the finger brush samples of three women and nine men. The same HPV type was identified in genital and hand samples in one woman and five men. This study has identified hand carriage of genital HPV types in patients with genital warts. Although sexual intercourse is considered the usual mode of transmitting genital HPV infection, our findings raise the possibility of transmission by finger-genital contact. Condoms offer little protection against HPV since any skin-to-skin contact can result in transmission of the virus."

I prefer to read and keep informed about what's going on in the world around me - granted you can't believe everything you read, but I feel a whole lot better for the knowledge that a speeding train may be approaching - then to jump right out in front of it blindly!!
 Mystacall
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/6/2006 12:51:13 AM
gee i posted this same question about a month ago and it got pulled...but to answer your question..it depends which one ...aids? genital warts? herpes? all different and ya know what ..so many people have them and don't even know it! so anyone who says ew no way they probably would test positive on one or another...with the blood test! So it depends on the person and how i feel about them and what they have.
 Mystacall
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/6/2006 12:56:37 AM
hey Coy did you know they have non latex polyurethane condoms that are stronger than latex? I am allergic too and there great...diurex and trojan make them only thing is if your well blessed...they don't come in hungryman size!!! mysta
 fiery redhead
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:25:52 AM
bluntly...no, no, no,and No.

and, anyone who intends to be with me, condom or not, will submit to a visual and/or physical inspection for lesions.
 crazycurlz
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:29:51 AM
crazycurlz-I think the operative word here is "has".

I'm not going to knowingly have sex with someone that I know HAS an std.

fantasyflavor, the operative phrase here is "would you date", not would you have sex with. you can date someone who has an std...whether you would have sex is another question entirely, now isn't it?
 privatenites
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:59:20 AM
so true crazycurlz^^^

and for good measure throw in the 'would you "ever" date' for all the adamant posters on here that said HELL NO

odds are if they've been on 4 dates in recent months - 3 of them were infected with something - knowingly or NOT

Reading these threads, I’m beginning to see why this has become such a widespread problem, it was nice to read the few posts that came from an intelligible standpoint
 anenigma
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:47:52 AM
Being an RN, I just want to add something to all those who say they're tested and clean.

When you get 'tested' for an STD..i.e. you ask your Doctor to test you for STD's....
Well, you better be specific in what you ask for because not ALL STD's are routinely tested.
Typically a woman will be given a G & C culture. (Gonorrhea and Chlamydia) Possibly an HPV culture. An HIV test is done via blood sample (and requires a specific form to be signed)
HSV I and II are not typically tested for unless asked. Why, well...you usually test the skin area of concern...not check the blood. Hep B and Hep C, also not 'routinely done'. Syphyllis, most likely since years ago, that one was most common and prevalent.

So, with that info, you need to keep in mind that whereas you may think you're 'clean' but not necessarily so, because you may not be aware of what you were specifically tested for.
It may have only been 3 out of the above, and you don't know which ones...So you walk around considering yourself 'disease free' and you might not be.

It's been said 1 in 4 women have HSV II and 1 in 5 men have it. 250,000 people are diagnosed each year, and that is DIAGNOSED!! more are unknowingly infected, don't have signs or symptoms and therefore can pass the virus on to someone else.

As for dating someone who has an STD, me myself, probably not a life threatening one. I suppose that's like committing suicide if you sleep with them and contract it. A treatable one, yeah, I probably would. It would also depend on when I was told, how I was told, etc...and how much I liked them.

Incidentally, my brother just found out he has Hep C. He's a RRT, (resp therapist) married in 2004, his wife tested negative. She has NOT contracted it. Interesting.

badboy - goodboy
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:17:57 AM
they should be marked so you know whot they are, a tatoo on the leg would do the job

so that if they try to sleep with you and give you an STD you avaid it

why should we risk it

Boomerz
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:29:51 AM
Whew! After reading all of the replies to this one.. well.. growing back my virginity doesn't make me feel so bad! I'm actually feeling better about choosing not to be a Man-Slut!
 Simon Belmont
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:29:54 AM
Just as long as it is curable, then why not? Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Syphillis are all curable.

However, if it is Herpes Simplex II (that's the one that lives in ppl's crotches) or HIV, then no f*ck*ng way in hell.

Helpful Hint: Before you have sex with someone, look thru thier room and bathroom (ie medicine cabinet). If you see a bottle labelled Acyclovir, put your clothes right back on and run like hell. It is the drug of choice for treating Herpes. God bless Introduction to Microbiology; aka 060.122 for U of Manitoba students!
 jeezaba
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:33:48 AM
if the men i want to go out with i practice safe sex using a condom and ask question about his sexual history there good in hiding things i take more precautions by letting him know your playing with fire i wont take any dangerous risk of having sex with a men you need to know his back ground if he single which is a lied they use a word celibate they might have a long list of sexual partner of plenty as 100 or more it depends on the men sex ego too there addicted to passion with out brains in there head crab lice is curable you take a medcine to treat it and shave your private parts and never go out with a condom too that was a big mistake of my friend and thats so filty so i agree with the original post here ifa men goes out with mei im going to drill him to go with me to the police station take a lied dector test and go with me to the doctor to get tested also to get a background check on him if he disagree ask a male friend to be the spy to see if he tell the truth or back out ona lied men are very tricky on there plans to have sex with us i aint no booty call or one night stand they will a hell from me this girl dont play shit its better to be clean and safe and take full proof precaution some std can causes out breaks .som take yrs to acturaly look for a cure
i aint taking no chance no my self life to short to messed up .
 Kaltes
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:38:01 AM
Just to add to some of the previous posts on HPV. There is NO FDA approved test for men on this. So if your male partner says he is STD-free, and even shows the lab results, he is not including HPV.

There are 100 strains of the virus, so even if your body has developed the anti-bodies for one strain, it has 99 to go.

15,000 women in the US die of HPV related cervical cancer per year. Get your PAP test every year ladies. A woman can test neg. for HPV for years and still have the virus. It can develop from LSIL to HSIL to cancer in less than 12 months.
 peace 14
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/7/2006 10:30:43 PM
There is no way in the world I would have intercourse with someone nowing that they have one! I don't want to go through the trouble in curing it or just living with it for the rest of my life!
There are so many things out there now you never now when you are going to get one. Its always to be safe than sorry.
I have never had one and been tested for the HPV. I had a friend that had it and went through the chain of partners and found that we were connected through the grapevine so I went and got tested.
Here is one fact that no one has mentioned yet. Did you know that you can get CRABS by sitting on the same toilet as someone with them, or even trying on a pair of pants in a store that someone had tried on with crabs.
 molonel
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:02:35 PM

Just to add to some of the previous posts on HPV. There is NO FDA approved test for men on this. So if your male partner says he is STD-free, and even shows the lab results, he is not including HPV. - kaltes

That's correct. Even though I get tested at least once a year, and have never exhibited any symptoms, I remind women of this when have "That talk" about STDs. The only test for HPV in men is visual inspection, and many strains of HPV exhibit no visual symptoms.

I think sometimes people are all too willing to believe someone who says, "I'm clean" without doing any research on the subject.
 Mystacall
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/8/2006 12:38:19 AM
To all you people out there who say ewww no way!! I know of a couple of people male and female who have an std and they sleep with whoever...and don't tell... so don't be so quick to say eww no way, because you just never know now do ya!!! I am a CNA and Do Hair and have to take continuing education on this every 2 years..caveat emptor = buyer beware..And don't think a condom will protect you because it can be on someones arm...leg...thigh...in their blood..saliva...so best thing is to be educated and not so quick to judge cause one day ...it may be YOU!
 molonel
Msg: 67
Oh, and ...
Posted: 4/8/2006 1:24:04 AM

Nice try? I wasn't "trying" for anything - that quote came from a medical research article affectionately entitled .. blah blah etc. etc. - privatenites

The reason she probably said, "Nice try" is because of your use of selective quotation. None of your original quotes were attributed.

Take this one, for example:

“Transmission of HPV through routes other than sexual is definitely possible. One may be exposed by something as innocent as shaking hands with someone as proven in Sexually Transmitted Infections” - privatenites

Your first quote comes, not from a peer-reviewed medical journal, but rather this site:

http://www.phend.co.za/viraphend/HPV.htm

It's an advertisement for a product called Viraphend.

You didn't even quote their caveat:

"HPV is not always transmitted sexually. However, the types that cause anogenital warts (also called condylomata acuminata, venereal warts, genital warts, vaginal warts, and penile warts) and cervical dysplasia are most commonly sexually transmitted, like low risk HPV types 6, 11, 42, 43, and 44. For this reason HPV is classified as an STD (sexually transmitted disease) and can be transmitted through sexual intercourse, oral sex, anal sex, or any skin-to-skin contact."

They slip that "any skin-to-skin contact thing" in at the end, just in case you're not paranoid enough, already.

Later down the page is the hook:

"PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE FOR HPV: Preventative maintenance with Viraphend™ is particularly important if you have ever had HPV problems such as cervical dysplasia or genital warts because these problems may be an indication of a weak immune system. If you do not have cervical dysplasia or genital warts, and you want to take Viraphend™ simply as "preventative maintenance", I recommend 2 caps/day orally, and, for women, one capsule per WEEK vaginally, except during menstruation, indefinitely."

The quote you used in your second post on the subject came from here:

http://health-science-report.com/cgi-bin/alotek.cgi?topics=1&article=51

Now, you're trying to make it sound like you can get genital warts from a simple handshake. But the study you're quoting - but, interestingly enough, not linking for us to read, ourselves - posits perhaps a 30 percent transmission rate from a mother infected with HPV to the child she gives birth to:

"We present evidence for vertical transmission from at least 30% HPV positive mothers to their infants, resulting in persistent infection in children. That the mother is the source of infant infection has been confirmed by DNA sequencing. We also discuss the evidence for oral HPV-16 infection in children."

Now, I'm going to out on a limb here, and say that a child who has passed through its mother's womb has had FAR more intimate contact with her than I have when I shake hands with her.

Is it POSSIBLE? Perhaps. Anything is possible.

Does it warrant the sort of paranoia you seem to be implying? Not by any evidence you've presented.
 badboy - goodboy
Msg: 68
Oh, and ...
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:00:55 PM
sure if the had HIV even better I would love to get some...mmm mmm sounds wonderful
 Seeing_Stars
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:18:43 PM
No I would not. However, what is the chance they'd actually tell you they had one if they did? I find the majority of men don't even want to go get tested so maybe they don't even know if they have one!
 Seeing_Stars
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:23:28 PM

Condoms don't prevent 90% of STI's, there's still direct contact unless you're stretching that thing all the way around your hips.

Yeah, there's always stuff like crabs and herpes that could "get around" condoms. There's always the female condom but that's really expensive and hard to use.
 Seeing_Stars
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:29:13 PM

Once I met a guy who had HIV. He never told me till on our first date.

This is really tough. I mean the guy deserves credit for being so honest and upfront about it. He could've been an a-s-s-hole and not said anything until after you've slept with him or something, or worse, never say anything at all. At the same time, I agree I probably wouldn't want to date him because I'd be scared too. It's a bad catch 22. I guess the best thing to do is to trust no one. When starting a relationship with someone, MAKE them get tested before you sleep with them and if they refuse, they must have something to hide.
 Scottish Warrior
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:29:52 PM
NO... Remember the Movie "Species" how she scenced the guy was not right. I feel the same way....
 Seeing_Stars
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:50:15 PM

“Transmission of HPV through routes other than sexual is definitely possible. One may be exposed by something as innocent as shaking hands with someone as proven in Sexually Transmitted Infections”

After so much has been spent educating people on disease transmission, it saddens me that some people still believe you can catch STD's by shaking someone's hand! The ONLY time people can catch any kind of virus from shaking hands is if 1) They have cuts or open sores on their hands where the virus can get through (and this is still pretty rare) and 2) If they don't wash their hands and put their hands to their mouths (or any other opening in their body - which is again, very rare). If you're still in doubt, call your public health region and they will confirm this.
 Letsplaydr
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/16/2006 6:10:03 PM
If you're happy and you know it, wash your hands!!!
 SexayLaday
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/16/2006 6:11:08 PM
"I don't have one just wondering how many people would date a male/female if they had contacted an std from a previous lover. I wouldn't personally cuz I don't want anything just wondering what ya'll think of it."

No way. There's too many other fishies in the sea
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > would you ever date someone who has an std?